• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

You know you’re getting older when……

317 forever

Established Member
You are dismayed by some of the procedures decided upon at work, then realise that you probably contributed to the education of these managers in taxes paid earlier in your careers.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Dai Corner

Established Member
You are dismayed by some of the procedures decided upon at work, then realise that you probably contributed to the education of these managers in taxes paid earlier in your careers.
Or when you see the mistakes you made or avoided early in your career being made all over again by the next generation.

Killingworth

Established Member
When you mention collecting National Savings stamps and nobody seems to know what you're talking about. But then one does and recalls Prince Charles on the 2/6 stamp and Princess Anne on the 6d. Of course very few remain in collections because the whole point was to keep them in a book until you could pay a reasonable sum into a National Savings Account or redeem them for cash.

However I recall great disappointment when Charles and Anne first appeared on the stamps, about Coronation time in 1953. The previous issue had a squirrel on the 2/6 and acorn on the 6d and I'd liked collecting them.

There are lots of pictures of the Charles and Anne stamps online. The squirrels and acorns must have all been paid in. They seem to be very rare indeed.

Howardh

Established Member
Just turned 65 - an almost immediate e-mail from the NHS "you're on the priority list, please book your covid jab and you may get your flu jab at the same time". Yes, and yes of course! Next they'll be sending me a "choose your own coffin" e-mail, just to rub it in. Still no bus pass though, darned!!

Killingworth

Established Member
When you recall going to Plessey Woods when there was a layby on the A1 for parking. A nice stroll down through the peaceful woods beside the River Blyth and below the high railway viaduct that was hard to notice amidst all the trees. Now it's a fast section of dual carriageway where you're causing an obstruction if pottering along at 60 so those 1950s walks all but forgotten. It was a long time ago, in the days when I'd cycle many a mile on quiet country roads.

Plessey, memories, memories brought back today!

Peter Sarf

Established Member
Just turned 65 - an almost immediate e-mail from the NHS "you're on the priority list, please book your covid jab and you may get your flu jab at the same time". Yes, and yes of course! Next they'll be sending me a "choose your own coffin" e-mail, just to rub it in. Still no bus pass though, darned!!
You better book your hip/knee replacement now as the waiting lists are so long.....

Pinza-C55

I am 64 and had covid once, just after the end of the second lockdown. It lasted for a day and a half and felt like mild hay fever.

Howardh

Established Member
I am 64 and had covid once, just after the end of the second lockdown. It lasted for a day and a half and felt like mild hay fever.
Had it for a week when I was on a week's holiday on Formentera! Felt a bit groggy most of the time, but still managed to get out and about (drinking/swimming/short walks) usually followed by a long nap but the main thing was total lack of appetite/taste. All I ate was a morning breakfast of fruit, and the rest of the day bananas or melon.

I was OK when I set off, but the first night felt a vey sore throat!

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
When you recall going to Plessey Woods when there was a layby on the A1 for parking. A nice stroll down through the peaceful woods beside the River Blyth and below the high railway viaduct that was hard to notice amidst all the trees. Now it's a fast section of dual carriageway where you're causing an obstruction if pottering along at 60 so those 1950s walks all but forgotten. It was a long time ago, in the days when I'd cycle many a mile on quiet country roads.

Plessey, memories, memories brought back today!
Isn’t there a lay-by immediately south of the river bridge, (still appears on streetview just before the slip road towards Blagdon), or is it no longer in use?

Killingworth

Established Member
Isn’t there a lay-by immediately south of the river bridge, (still appears on streetview just before the slip road towards Blagdon), or is it no longer in use?

Never noticed in recent years, too busy heading south. Will be going that way later in the month and may try stopping there.

brad465

Established Member
When history lessons at school feature content from a time you were alive in (I believe the 2003 Iraq war has featured on history syllabuses in recent years).

Howardh

Established Member
Just turned 65; and had a phone call from the doc's yesterday - one of the health care workers there. Rather than call me in for a check-up, I answered a few questions over the phone. Usual stuff, any ailments etc.
Then it started...."is there anything you can trip over, do the stairs have a banister, etc.... "I'm only sixty flippin'five!! If I'm gonna fall over it will be chasing some fast kid around a hockey pitch"!!
To be fair if I did fall and was knocked out cold at home, no-one would know and there's not a lot the docs could do about it as they wouldn't know - as nearly happened a few years ago when I had a losing argument with a step ladder.

Peter Sarf

Established Member
Just turned 65; and had a phone call from the doc's yesterday - one of the health care workers there. Rather than call me in for a check-up, I answered a few questions over the phone. Usual stuff, any ailments etc.
Then it started...."is there anything you can trip over, do the stairs have a banister, etc.... "I'm only sixty flippin'five!! If I'm gonna fall over it will be chasing some fast kid around a hockey pitch"!!
To be fair if I did fall and was knocked out cold at home, no-one would know and there's not a lot the docs could do about it as they wouldn't know - as nearly happened a few years ago when I had a losing argument with a step ladder.
Ohhh - Step ladders should be banned !. Have you had training on using them ?. (indicates typical older attitude that I am tending towards).

Gloster

Established Member
Ohhh - Step ladders should be banned !. Have you had training on using them ?. (indicates typical older attitude that I am tending towards).

I would have thought that it is the young of today, having been brought up in an all-embracing ’Elf ‘n Safety culture, that want a training course (*). Us oldies just get on with it and don’t worry about the missing or broken limbs.

* - Not that I am complaining abot Health & Safety. Even though I started work several years after the act was passed, some horrendous risks were still seen as normal.

Pinza-C55

I would have thought that it is the young of today, having been brought up in an all-embracing ’Elf ‘n Safety culture, that want a training course (*). Us oldies just get on with it and don’t worry about the missing or broken limbs.

* - Not that I am complaining abot Health & Safety. Even though I started work several years after the act was passed, some horrendous risks were still seen as normal.
In the 70s I was an apprentice in an electronics factory and had to clean machine parts in Acetone or Xylene both of which produced overpowering fumes. I had several blackouts and if it had happened in recent years I could have sued them for thousands.

dangie

Established Member
I remember while fishing on Cannock Chase speaking with a Forest Ranger. He’d retired from the Fire Service as a Fireman and did the Forest Ranger job part time. He said he wasn’t allowed to use or climb ladders as he hadn’t yet been on a ladder course :D

75A

Established Member
I remember while fishing on Cannock Chase speaking with a Forest Ranger. He’d retired from the Fire Service as a Fireman and did the Forest Ranger job part time. He said he wasn’t allowed to use or climb ladders as he hadn’t yet been on a ladder course :D
Sounds about right!

urbophile

Established Member
When history lessons at school feature content from a time you were alive in (I believe the 2003 Iraq war has featured on history syllabuses in recent years).
I must be very old then. As far as I recall the history syllabus at my secondary (grammar!) school finished some time in the 19th century. I don't think we ever came near the First World War, let alone anything later. But then history lessons were so boring I may well have slept through it.

birchesgreen

Established Member
You know you are old when the history books at school are quite slim.

When i was at school we started with Roman Britain and ended with medieval castles and (randomly) the American West.

I work on GCSE materials in my job, the kiddies do some interesting topics these days.

Gloster

Established Member
I must be very old then. As far as I recall the history syllabus at my secondary (grammar!) school finished some time in the 19th century. I don't think we ever came near the First World War, let alone anything later. But then history lessons were so boring I may well have slept through it.

I never got further than 1815 and I did it for A-Level. We seemed to mention the Romans and 1066, and then do the Tudors and Stuarts, before jumping to the Napoleonic Wars…repeat. We did have one brilliant master who would do a subject in depth: Anson’s voyage around the world and Wellington‘s Peninsular campaign stick in my memory.

Peter Sarf

Established Member

Your right of course - I kind of got it mixed up (old age you see). Mind you, the young don't need to worry about practicalities - they "just get it delivered".
In the 70s I was an apprentice in an electronics factory and had to clean machine parts in Acetone or Xylene both of which produced overpowering fumes. I had several blackouts and if it had happened in recent years I could have sued them for thousands.
Ah - I miss good old Airfix cement (plastic glue) really did stick plastic, well welded it.
Probably not allowed to work with naked flames either. (anyone old enough to think of a different meaning ?).
You know you are old when the history books at school are quite slim.

When i was at school we started with Roman Britain and ended with medieval castles and (randomly) the American West.

I work on GCSE materials in my job, the kiddies do some interesting topics these days.
I was going to say Tudors and Stewarts.
I never got further than 1815 and I did it for A-Level. We seemed to mention the Romans and 1066, and then do the Tudors and Stuarts, before jumping to the Napoleonic Wars…repeat. We did have one brilliant master who would do a subject in depth: Anson’s voyage around the world and Wellington‘s Peninsular campaign stick in my memory.
My bold - What I remember about those two bits of history is fellow pupils getting very confused and argumentative - "but last week you told us something different".

Howardh

Established Member
Seriously, I have severe height problems, anything above, say, 10 rungs and I get acrophobia; looking down makes me dizzy and sickly! My little accident was only three rungs up when the rung I was on gave way, and ended up with me head-butting the shed door; to be fair I think the shed door came off the worst!

Recently I had a builder in doing a little job on the roof which needed scaffolding. When he finished he invited me up to inspect his work.

H ended up photographing it on his camera...!

Pinza-C55

About 7 years ago I worked in a store and we had a couple of electricians round to do the lights. They hadn't brought a stepladder and asked the asst manageress to use the stores ladder. She refused because they weren't covered by the stores insurance to use its equipment.
That may sound pedantic but it's a fair point.

Gloster

Established Member
Your hearing gets worse and you mishear things in increasingly peculiar ways. Every time I hear somebody else’s self-checkout at Morrison’s saying ‘Card accepted’, I think it is saying ‘Cardiff General’.

Peter Sarf

Established Member
Your hearing gets worse and you mishear things in increasingly peculiar ways. Every time I hear somebody else’s self-checkout at Morrison’s saying ‘Card accepted’, I think it is saying ‘Cardiff General’.
How do you find "Error in bagging area" comes across ?.

I have impressed some young uns recently. I was being told I had not put the correct item on the scales (bagging area) - so I assumed the weight was too high or too low. I checked and all was in order. No help was nearby or imminent so I decided to swap the item for something of a similar weight. Try my mobile, hmm maybe too light, add some coins, hmm added a bunch of keys and all was well !. The people behind me were impressed. Its happened a few times in Lidl. Medicine one time and I think the other was ice-creams on a stick. So --- maybe being old means knowing how to think outside the box (or perhaps a young un would just have nicked it).