• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

You know you’re getting older when……

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

AM9

Veteran Member
Used to be on after Listen with Mother? Same era anyway! Just after lunch.

Daphne Oxenford will tell you a story, "Are you sitting comfortably? Then I'll begin!
Coincidentally, I was just flicking through the channels on TV and on BBC4, it was To The Manor Born, with Daphne at the counter of the village shop.

Last edited:

Pinza-C55

Coincidentally, I was just flicking through the channels on TV and on BBC4, it was To The Manor Born, with Daphne at the counter of the village shop.

That's another way you know are getting old because you understand the phrases "the village shop" or "the village post office".

dangie

Established Member
When you rush to the local bus stop to catch the 09:49 bus on which you can use your ENCTS bus pass to get free travel as it is past the 09:30 start time.....then realise it is only 08:40 when you get to the bus stop.
I’ve still got watches in the drawer I haven’t moved to British Summer Time :D

PeterY

Established Member
When you rush to the local bus stop to catch the 09:49 bus on which you can use your ENCTS bus pass to get free travel as it is past the 09:30 start time.....then realise it is only 08:40 when you get to the bus stop.
My bus pass was issued in Hertfordshire. I can use my pass before 9.30 only has long as the bus starts in Hertfordshire before 9.30. Any other county I can't use it until after 9.30.

AM9

Veteran Member
Alas for others, ENCTS is 24/7 in Hertfordshire. ;)

Howardh

Established Member
I’ve still got watches in the drawer I haven’t moved to British Summer Time :D
I tend to have a couple of watches in Spanish (summer) time so when I go I change watch rather than fiddle with the wheel which I have difficulty with!
Also at home my microwave clock is on BST. All year. Because I haven't the foggiest and would probably lose the will to live if I attempted to change it.

Quiz team last night, all players well over 50. We can snatch stuff out of thin air if it happened before 1990, but anything yesterday not a hope. Wonder if that's age, or we are simply flooded with stuff on the web and social media which those of a certain age simply gloss over?

In my day news was newsworthy!

Busaholic

Veteran Member
The day you realise that there is less time from the death of Queen Victoria to your being born than there is from the day you were born until now.
Or from the first ever F.A. Cup Final at Kennington Oval, when Wanderers F.C. beat Royal Engineers F.C. 1-0, to your birth than there is from the day you were born until now. It's an interesting one, because the longer you live the farther you can go back, so I might reach Queen Victoria succeeding to the throne yet!:lol:

OhNoAPacer

Or from the first ever F.A. Cup Final at Kennington Oval, when Wanderers F.C. beat Royal Engineers F.C. 1-0, to your birth than there is from the day you were born until now. It's an interesting one, because the longer you live the farther you can go back, so I might reach Queen Victoria succeeding to the throne yet!:lol:
Anyone 94 or older can already do that.
My next milestone, or is that millstone, is the discovery of x-rays and the first modern Olympic games.
Actually may already have made the former.

Gloster

Established Member
The BBC’s website has a newsitem on the report that Harold Wilson had an affair with one of his advisers. (No, not Lady Forkbender.) It has an inset titled ‘Who was Harold Wilson?’ The sad thing is that it is necessary as plenty of readers won’t have a clue who he was.

Peter Sarf

Established Member
Sure it was his mistress or his KGB handler?
That was my first thought when I saw it on the news earlier today.

You know your getting older when you remember back in the past there were less scandals (the misbehaviour still happened but it did not make the news).

Bald Rick

Veteran Member
That was my first thought when I saw it on the news earlier today.

You know your getting older when you remember back in the past there were less scandals (the misbehaviour still happened but it did not make the news).

and there was a lot more back then considered a ‘scandal’ than there is now!

Gloster

Established Member
You start thinking that the taste of crisps is becoming sharper. Also the flavours are becoming weirder: I am sure I saw Smokey Gerbil somewhere.

D6130

Established Member
Your wife tells you to stop eating crisps of any flavour when you go to the pub because they put on weight and the salt is bad for your blood pressure. Therefore you eat twice as many when you go to the pub without her! <D

nw1

Established Member
Quiz team last night, all players well over 50. We can snatch stuff out of thin air if it happened before 1990, but anything yesterday not a hope. Wonder if that's age, or we are simply flooded with stuff on the web and social media which those of a certain age simply gloss over?

Mind you someone of say 55 would have been just 21 in 1990, and a 65-year old would have been barely over 30... so I'd hope your memories stretch a bit beyond that date! ;)

317 forever

Established Member
I had an example just before boarding my National Express coach on Friday evening.

The driver asked us to have our tickets ready for boarding. Nobody in front of me had any tickets, not even A4 printed ones. Everyone just showed him their mobiles for their "ticket" display.

You remember that
A) you were the ink monitor at school
B) you can’t remember if you’ve mentioned it in this thread before

Benters

I tend to have a couple of watches in Spanish (summer) time so when I go I change watch rather than fiddle with the wheel which I have difficulty with!
Also at home my microwave clock is on BST. All year. Because I haven't the foggiest and would probably lose the will to live if I attempted to change it.

Three of my Pub Quiz team (including myself) are over 60, the youngest being a lady who turned 55 last year. Which means we're stuffed if the music round contains anything recorded after the 1990s...

I was a milk monitor at school, I was in charge of piercing the foil tops for the straws to go through.
Blimey Ashley, that puts you on a pedestal. Foil top piercing wasn’t even an option when I was at school but ringing the bell for break time or lunchtime was a real accolade.

Ashley Hill

Established Member
Blimey Ashley, that puts you on a pedestal. Foil top piercing wasn’t even an option when I was at school but ringing the bell for break time or lunchtime was a real accolade.
I never knew is was such an outstanding position! I just had a round metal disc with a spike on it. Not the most tasking of jobs but got you out of lessons 5 mins early.

KT550

I never knew is was such an outstanding position! I just had a round metal disc with a spike on it. Not the most tasking of jobs but got you out of lessons 5 mins early.
Must have been a good school; we had to make our own hole with the straw.