• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Young Person's Railcard eligibility for postdoctoral research...

Status
Not open for further replies.

1B85

As header, I know that PhD students are eligible for these even though there is no lecture component to attend at the university, you are expected to put in as much or as little research time as you find necessary to complete the thesis. Are posdoctoral researchers allowed to get the Young Person's Railcard (obviously older than 25) once the PhD has been awarded, but their research at the university is continuing?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Established Member
To be eligible you MUST
Be attending a recognised college or University for over 15hours a week, 20 weeks a year.
Have the mature student section of the application form filled out by your College or Uni.
Have an NUS card or College/Uni photocard as proof ID.

35B

Established Member
As header, I know that PhD students are eligible for these even though there is no lecture component to attend at the university, you are expected to put in as much or as little research time as you find necessary to complete the thesis. Are posdoctoral researchers allowed to get the Young Person's Railcard (obviously older than 25) once the PhD has been awarded, but their research at the university is continuing?
Are post doc researchers regarded as "students" or "staff" by universities?

bb21

Emeritus Moderator
Post docs are not students. Post docs are jobs and should (I say should as there may be exceptions in these odd times) receive salaries while PhD students receive stipends.

I would expect that you have an employment contract as a post doc therefore not classed as a mature student. Same applies to TA's and RA's, who are employees of education establishments.

1B85

Post docs are not students. Post docs are jobs and should (I say should as there may be exceptions in these odd times) receive salaries while PhD students receive stipends.

I would expect that you have an employment contract as a post doc therefore not classed as a mature student. Same applies to TA's and RA's, who are employees of education establishments.

Thanks, I had a feeling that would be the case, but I said I'd check anyway...

Status
Not open for further replies.