• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Your best TS20xx/TSW recommendations

Status
Not open for further replies.

Games that are designed for XP or later will be perfectly happy on Windows 10.

Games from the DOS era will run quite happily if you install DOSbox.

Games from the era in between are pretty difficult. They were designed for Windows 98, which is totally different under the hood to modern Windows and they usually expect tiny screen resolutions like 800x600.

It’s not just MSTS. For years you could run SimCity and SimCity 2000 on modern systems through DOSbox, and SimCity 4 because it’s fairly modern, but you couldn’t get SimCity 3000 because it’s from that awkward era.

Usually you have to wait for the developers to release a rebuilt / remastered / updated version of the game.

Ironically it’s easier to play Windows games from this era on Linux than it is on modern Windows. Linux has a compatibility layer called Wine that lets it play old games, and I’ve had success with a lot of games from that era.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Inversnecky

The AP 4CEP (Class 411/412) - the level of detail is second to none, and I reckon about the closest you can get with a freely available computer simulation.

You really have to get used to the driving techniques with it before you can drive it effectively, even then the variable handling makes it more interesting!

It certainly is brilliant. The AP 205 is another star.

Anything by Armstrong Powerhouse is recommended: the level of detail is incredible, and once you are used to them, the default trains seem like ‘toys’ in comparison and you won’t want to go back.

So far, I use the AP 37 and 40 most of the time. Getting used to the traditional locos, before tackling any of these new space age things with dashboards that wouldn’t look out of place in a 747! :)

If you like a challenge, the Woodhead in Blue is good: the 76 with its series/parallel changer, and rheostatic braking.

Also the AP Class 86 on the WCML over Shap route with the neutral sections.

It's not as detailed as the Class 37 AP made, but it's still a massive step up from the DTG version

In case anyone is interested, here’s starting up an AP Class 37:

And a Class 40:

Attachments

• 0C3B7D4B-2F66-49B9-AA88-B015638038A2.jpeg
    0C3B7D4B-2F66-49B9-AA88-B015638038A2.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 5
Last edited:

Furrball

For anyone with a low power machine there is another option!

A hosted Virtual Machine with good specs for £12.99 per month

GPU GeForce GTX 1080 Or equivalent

Processor 3.4 GHz Or equivalent 4 cores / 8 Threads

Memory 12 GB

Storage SSD256 GB (Upgradable up to 2 TB HDD on your account page)

Operating System Windows 10 64-bit

Been using it for a while. Works fine. As it is an "unknown" device do not put any personal details on it or make purchases - that is done on the host

hexagon789

Veteran Member
It certainly is brilliant. The AP 205 is another star.

Anything by Armstrong Powerhouse is recommended: the level of detail is incredible, and once you are used to them, the default trains seem like ‘toys’ in comparison and you won’t want to go back.

So far, I use the AP 37 and 40 most of the time. Getting used to the traditional locos, before tackling any of these new space age things with dashboards that wouldn’t look out of place in a 747! :)

If you like a challenge, the Woodhead in Blue is good: the 76 with its series/parallel changer, and rheostatic braking.

Also the AP Class 86 on
The 3 classes I would next like AP to do are:

87 - rework the default which is much more detailed than some TS stuff but doesn't have all the features AP might provide

47 - desperately needs a pack and physics rework as per the 37s

55s - oh how I would love an AP enhancement pack for the Deltics, full-on proper sounds, accurate physics, the seperate engine spool up post-ETH fitting. To have a fully detailed Deltic to hammer up the ECML at 100mph in would be bliss!

greatvoyager

Established Member
I quite enjoy the AP 158/159 add-ons too, because they provide so many liveries which are good to use in scenarios.

Iskra

Established Member
The 3 classes I would next like AP to do are:

87 - rework the default which is much more detailed than some TS stuff but doesn't have all the features AP might provide

47 - desperately needs a pack and physics rework as per the 37s

55s - oh how I would love an AP enhancement pack for the Deltics, full-on proper sounds, accurate physics, the seperate engine spool up post-ETH fitting. To have a fully detailed Deltic to hammer up the ECML at 100mph in would be bliss!
I agree about the first two, but for the Deltic the Vulcan Productions pack is excellent.

hexagon789

Veteran Member
I agree about the first two, but for the Deltic the Vulcan Productions pack is excellent.
Sounds interesting, don't suppose you know if it is it just a visual makeover or does it have physics mods top?

I'll take a look anyway.

Iskra

Established Member
Sounds interesting, don't suppose you know if it is it just a visual makeover or does it have physics mods top?

I'll take a look anyway.
I think it’s everything, it’s up there in quality with AP’s stuff.

_toommm_

Established Member
For third party scenarios, I often go to alanthomsonsim - there’s hundreds of pages, most for the British-based routes.

ainsworth74

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
  • Train Sim World 2020. A new, separate simulator from the same people. Re-worked UI. Better looking. Not compatible with TS content.
  • Train Sim World 2. A sequel to the above. Compatible with most TSW2020 content. Very much the same thing, but with different included routes.

I think I'd just add to the the above that TSW2020 is no longer being worked on whilst TSW2 is still actively having new content created for it and slowly having tweaks, fixes and enhancements added to it.

Inversnecky

For third party scenarios, I often go to alanthomsonsim - there’s hundreds of pages, most for the British-based routes.

Ive looked at a few, but you need dozens of requirements added. Would be a full time job adding them and keeping on track of which you have and which you don’t.

Are there any that don’t require much, if anything?

_toommm_

Established Member
Ive looked at a few, but you need dozens of requirements added. Would be a full time job adding them and keeping on track of which you have and which you don’t.

You don’t have to have all the requirements. As long as you have the player train, when you load the scenario, press F2 then Save and it’ll let you play the scenario.

As long as you’ve got the required train for you to drive, the rest is just added realism.

hexagon789

Veteran Member
You don’t have to have all the requirements. As long as you have the player train, when you load the scenario, press F2 then Save and it’ll let you play the scenario.

As long as you’ve got the required train for you to drive, the rest is just added realism.
Often it won't work at all, it'll usually fire up with 'cannot find "insert train description"' and will not play.

Darandio

Established Member

You'd probably have more luck on the workshop for that really.

It's a problem all newer users inevitably face. You have people creating scenarios that have built up a library of content, in some cases for over a decade. When creating a scenario they are naturally going to then use what is needed to make the scenario as realistic as they possibly can, this then leads to a huge requirement list.

The usual advice as i'm sure you have seen on the Steam forums is wait for sales, it's fairly easy to quickly build a decent library of content yourself for a fraction of the price.

_toommm_

Established Member
Often it won't work at all, it'll usually fire up with 'cannot find "insert train description"' and will not play.

As long as you’ve got the relevant train and any required reskins or patches for the train you’ll drive, you can use the F2 method. I do this all the time.

Inversnecky

Im away from TS just now: what does F2 do again?

When I open a scenario with missing stock, I get a black dialogue box listing the missing files, with only Edit and Exit as options. Can F2 bypass this?

XAM2175

Established Member
When I open a scenario with missing stock, I get a black dialogue box listing the missing files, with only Edit and Exit as options. Can F2 bypass this?
"F2" is the Save Game shortcut key, but (either by accident or design) if you press it when presented with the missing files error the error dialogue is cleared and you're given the save menu instead.

Darandio

Established Member
Also remember that using the F2 method to bypass missing stock could potentially render the scenario useless if some of the missing stock is an integral part of the scenario, e.g AI interaction.

hexagon789

Veteran Member
Im away from TS just now: what does F2 do again?

As long as you’ve got the relevant train and any required reskins or patches for the train you’ll drive, you can use the F2 method. I do this all the time.
Doesn't work for me, I always get the dialogue box with the missing files, or at least I did in the past.

Now I always check requirements carefully before downloading scenarios and certainly for payware ones

Aictos

Established Member
The issue I find with the AP Class 317 is the manual makes reference to the DKS (door key system) behind the driver on the back wall but when you change camera view, you don't get to see the back wall.

The DTG ECML South isn't good as I drove a train and the AI deliberately signalled me into a incoming train not mention I saw a Cambridge bound service pass me on the Down Fast formed of two 365s with all doors open.

That said, the AP Class 321, 313 and 365 are very accurate and a pleasure to drive especially the Class 321 which has a active DSD.

_toommm_

Established Member
Doesn't work for me, I always get the dialogue box with the missing files, or at least I did in the past.

Now I always check requirements carefully before downloading scenarios and certainly for payware ones

So you load the scenario up, get the 'Missing abc xyz', press F2 and then Save, and the scenario doesn't then work?

Also remember that using the F2 method to bypass missing stock could potentially render the scenario useless if some of the missing stock is an integral part of the scenario, e.g AI interaction.

That is a fair point, and it can ruin the intended effect of some scenarios, such as if you're meant to be stuck behind a delayed train.

hexagon789

Veteran Member
So you load the scenario up, get the 'Missing abc xyz', press F2 and then Save, and the scenario doesn't then work?
Perhaps a small clarification - it never used to.

I have not tried the process for some time because I have no need really, as I said I always make sure if the requirements before obtaining any scenarios now.

In the past I came across the method you mentioned while reading though the steam forums but it never worked then.

Established Member

I have downloaded most of the scenarios that I have off Alan Thompson sim and I don't always have the stock. I always check the stock in a program called RW Tools (looks like its called TS Tools now) which will tell me if I'm missing anything but it also gives you the option to swap out the vehicles to something you do have.
Downloads - Mike's Software Site (agenetools.com)

This reminds me of the old BVE days when you'd have to find the route, train and usually separate sound and object files and work out where to put them. No instructions - just a ZIP file.

Darandio

Established Member
This reminds me of the old BVE days when you'd have to find the route, train and usually separate sound and object files and work out where to put them. No instructions - just a ZIP file.

I remember those days well!

It's not what is happening here though, at least not in the vast majority of cases. Most authors are very good at listing what is required and where to get it.

Inversnecky

I have downloaded most of the scenarios that I have off Alan Thompson sim and I don't always have the stock. I always check the stock in a program called RW Tools (looks like its called TS Tools now) which will tell me if I'm missing anything but it also gives you the option to swap out the vehicles to something you do have.
Downloads - Mike's Software Site (agenetools.com)

Thanks, I’ve downloaded TS Tools and printed out some PDFs, and will try it shortly.

Alan Thomson has a great YT video explaining how to swap consists, too.

VauxhallandI

Established Member
I’m keen to get a SIM but I’m a bit scared off by all the variants and all the extra packs you have to download and import.

I have an iMac which is about three years old but it was fairly high spec when I bought it I believe (£1,800)

Will I be ok to buy one of these?

Inversnecky

I’m keen to get a SIM but I’m a bit scared off by all the variants and all the extra packs you have to download and import.

I have an iMac which is about three years old but it was fairly high spec when I bought it I believe (£1,800)

Will I be ok to buy one of these?

If you’re new, wait till one of the regular Steam sales - I got TS2021 Deluxe for about half off.

If you stick to sales, you’ll save a lot of money.

The default package has a few routes and trains, so enough to keep you going in the meantime without spending more.

When you can, I really recommend ArmstrongPowerhouse.com - also has sales.

ETA: just saw this posted:

https://www.humblebundle.com/games/train-sim-expedition-bundle

Status
Not open for further replies.