• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Your favorite and least favorite Turbostar Livery

Status
Not open for further replies.

Prestige15

On Moderation
Turbostars have been around for nearly 25 years and still going strong and came with many different liverys, Which top 3 liveries do you like and hate the most?

My top favorite would be Midland Mainline, One Anglia and the original Scotrail livery

Least fave would be First 'Barbie' livery, Greater Anglia and Hull Trains (based on Anglia Railways livery)

Clubmans class 168 can be included

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

hexagon789

Veteran Member
Favourite - National Express ScotRail 'Swoosh'
Other honourable mentions to - Midland Mainline, Transport Scotland Saltire (in the right light the blue looks quite good actually) and the one-off Borders Railway and WMR Gold and White,

Least favourite - EMR 'Aubergine'
Other dishonourable mentions to - Greater Anglia White and SPT 'Carmine and Cream'

busestrains

On Moderation
The old South West Trains livery on their class 170s was definitely my favourite. I thought it suited these trains very well. They looked very good in this livery.

365 Networker

Favourite - Central Trains.

Least favourite - Greater Anglia - bland and looks dirty very quickly.

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member
Favourite: De-branded Scotrail Saltire when they first moved to Northern.
Least favourite: Central Trains green was an awful livery, made worse by the QJump phone number being splashed down the sides. Dishonourable mention to the dull (and usually filthy) Northern livery. A shame the TPE units never got the new livery, as it would have probably suited them.

Favourite: London Midland. Very smart and especially good when kept clean.

Least Favourite: Transpennine Express, especially with the front end paintwork, made the 170s look rather ugly.

Established Member
I thought Central Trains worked well on the 170s, less so on the Sprinters which carried it. Also Scotrail (both Saltire and NatEx) and London Midland worked well.

Worst livery would be 'one', particularly in it's debranded after it was rebranded to National Express East Anglia. Wasn't too keen on the QJump advertising livery or the way TPE tried to make the front ends of their 170s look like a 185 either.

NSE

Established Member
No mention for Southern yet. I think that one looks nice. I’d also vote for One and I think Cross Country looks quite good.

andy1571

170399 in Be in Birmingham pink was a bit of an eyeball scorcher at the time, which I guess was the intention!

I’m not sure if it’s their relatively unfussy design, but most liveries seem to sit quite nicely on them.

Last edited:

Milo T.K

Turbostars have been around for nearly 25 years and still going strong and came with many different liverys, Which top 3 liveries do you like and hate the most?
God that makes me feel old

Favourite: Midland Mainline and southern
Least Favourite: First TPE livery. Looks ew

ShadowKnight

I quite like the WMR orange/gold livery, it is quite classy and modern,
I also have an interest in the London Overground livery, as it seems quite almost like someone has photoshopped the London transport style livery onto it.

The worst I think currently is the cross country livery, it's an awkward half assed attempt of pasting a wordart X onto the side of the unit

Doomotron

Favourite: London Midland
Honourable mention: the ex-Midland Mainline units transferred to Central Trains
Least favourite: SPT

Russel

Favourites - Midland Mainline, Central Trains, Cross Country.

Worst - National Express ScotRail as it looked far too cartoon like.

I was never a fan of the SWT livery on the 170's, the blue band and orange stripe along the bottom of the body looked too small and compressed, if it went maybe 15cm higher up it would have looked much better.

cj_1985

First Scotrail for me.

Wasn't a fan of central trains or Nat ex scotrail

dk1

Veteran Member
The Breckland livery NXEA was a particular favourite for me. Lasted years & much longer than intended.

Just an update on that. Unit was 170208 & looks like we where GA (1st short franchise, by then).

Least favourite was in the same area & has to be the original ‘one’ rainbow livery. The name was was bad enough.

Last edited:

Tracked

Established Member
Favourites: The Scotrail Saltire livery, the London Midland green stripe, and the EMR Purple

Least Favourites; TPE, the Central light green

dk1

Veteran Member
Favourites: The Scotrail Saltire livery, the London Midland green stripe, and the EMR Purple

Least Favourites; TPE, the Central light green

By Central light green do you mean the ex-MML (dancing stag) livery that had the CT))) at the ends?

LeeLivery

Established Member
They've had so many liveries, this is genuinely difficult.

I say my faves: Midland Mainline; SPT (with aqua stripe); Chiltern blue.

Honourable mention to First ScotRail, Southern.

Worst 'permanent' liveries: Central; Hull Trains; TfW/AGA.

Side note: TPE & LO - looked great on the sides, but both were ruined with the fronts.

WizCastro197

Established Member
Favourite - chiltern 168
Least favourite - southern 171
I disagree, I quite like the Southern livery, it suits them rather well, but it is of course, a matter of opinion. My least favourite, would probably be, that TPE one, the front was rather overdone.

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member
What's this front end thing that people keep mentioning with the TPE units? I honestly can't ever remember having much of a reaction to the front ends either way... perhaps I'm just not very observant, or my memory isn't what it was!

What's this front end thing that people keep mentioning with the TPE units? I honestly can't ever remember having much of a reaction to the front ends either way... perhaps I'm just not very observant, or my memory isn't what it was!
TPE had their units yellow warning panel extended past the normal boundaries with the livery - as seen below (Not my images)

1. TPEs version the yellow surrounds the light clusters and windscreen
2. An XC 170 displaying the standard yellow warning panel used on the Class 170 fleet by most TOCs.

Attachments

• 5529171497_0732aa90d8_b.jpg
    5529171497_0732aa90d8_b.jpg
    202.7 KB · Views: 113
  • Newport_railway_station_MMB_02_170104.jpg
    Newport_railway_station_MMB_02_170104.jpg
    274.1 KB · Views: 114

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member
TPE had their units yellow warning panel extended past the normal boundaries with the livery - as seen below (Not my images)

2. An XC 170 displaying the standard yellow warning panel used on the Class 170 fleet by most TOCs.
Must have just been my memory failing, as that does look very odd! Though it's relatively minor compared to the vomit-inducing FirstGroup corporate pallette on the sides.

Still not the worst crime when it comes to front end paintwork, as that goes to the hideous treatment that LNWR or whatever they're officially called have unleashed on their Desiro fleet!

CR165022

The Hybrid 168 livery is one of my favourites, along with the standard chiltern liveries and the ONE livery.
One of my least favourites is the WMR livery (both the 170 Lite version and the 172 full version), only because of the shade of gold/orange used, I think those liveries would look better if the shade of orange seen on the 196s/730s was used instead.

fgwrich

Established Member

It was done to, with rather unfortunate effects, replicate the much larger yellow panel on the 185s. What it did do was make the 170 look fatter than they are!

Status
Not open for further replies.