• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Your favourite Indian restaurant and why?

Status
Not open for further replies.

03_179

Established Member
Easy:

The Whitby Tandoori in Whitby Station.

I always go there after a Whitby Town match with the family and it's in a station ... What more could you want ?

Blue Bengal in Carshalton, delicious food

Have you tried the Saqui in Carshalton Beeches ... That is a close second to Whitby Tandoori.

Also Sheezan opposite Edinburgh Playhouse used to be great.

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Hyphen

Swansea (previously Nottingham/Sheffield)
In Swansea there is the legendary Anarkali, which has been consistently excellent for the 26 years I've been going there.

Hmmm... I live just round the corner from St Helen's Road, so I consider myself well versed in the local eateries. That said, I'm not that taken with the Anarkali. Personal favourite in Swansea is the Viceroy of India.

In Sheffield, my favourite by far is the Balti King in Broomhill (rather a trek from the station). Been to their sister place in Leeds a few times, though I'm not as fond of that one.

In Nottingham, from where I'm born and bred, would you believe I've never been for a curry locally? :cry:

KX03HZY

Easy:

The Whitby Tandoori in Whitby Station.

I always go there after a Whitby Town match with the family and it's in a station ... What more could you want ?

Have you tried the Saqui in Carshalton Beeches ... That is a close second to Whitby Tandoori.

No I haven't, my Dad is a fan of Indian cuisine and he likes the Blue Bengal. I might have a look it soon, thanks for the advice mate

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Drummond Street near Euston in London is well known for good Indian restaurants. Can't vouch for it myself, but I've heard many good things.
Several members of this forum have frequented Masala Hut on Drummond Street :)

We typically have a London meal at least once a month, about a third of them are curries, and a Yorkshire meal at least once a month, about half are curries.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Aagrah are usually good, I've been to ones in Skipton, Shipley, Pudsey (poor service) and Leeds
Not a fan. Seems to be a completely different type of food to other Indian restaurants - I believe they are based on a different region to most. The food may have the same names as popular dishes as other restaurants but what you get can be nothing like what you expected.

Established Member
In Leicester, Feast India (on Melton Road) is my favourite because you can have virtually as much or as little as you wish, but The Curry House, a short walk from the station, is also very good quality and this one is certainly easier to get to.

Last edited:

DaveNewcastle

Established Member
In Leicester, . . . .
Ah, Leicester. Now we're talking about a real choice of Indian cooking!
I've been impressed by The Tiffin on the junction of London Road with De Montfort Street, just across from the station beyond The Hind public house; but there's plenty more to choose from.

. . . .

Yes, I've enjoyed a meal there too.

One brand with a few branches in the north of England which seems to divide people is Akbars. Generally delicious food, but poor service, pretentious surroundings, and expensive in my view - but others are devoted to it.

Last edited:

LowLevel

Established Member
Leicester is superb. Jai Jaliyan on Belgrave Road while not a sit in restaurant does the most gorgeous (vegetarian only) hot and cold food and sweets to take out. extremely reasonably priced as well. I have to say a lot of people have Leicester down as a total dump but I quite appreciate the cultural mix up that's occurred there.

Established Member
...a lot of people have Leicester down as a total dump

Can't say I blame them...

...but I quite appreciate the cultural mix up that's occurred there.

So do I. A great side effect of that is the great selection of cuisine in the City, although renowned for its Indian cuisine we also have Thai etc.

chris89

Established Member
I haven't really got a favorite one in my area.

But when in Scotland got two at least.

Omar Khayyam - Edinburgh Haymarket - Great food, decent prices and a lovely restaurant inside.

Karma (Whitburn) - Only been there once, but had take away from there multiple times, really nice place and so is the food.

Chris

Bogiesdey

The Jasmine in Glenrothes,great grub! It's a pity I've only one mouth and one arse!

Johnuk123

Established Member
I was in a well known Indian place in York about 10 yrs ago.

3 days later it was raided and in the freezer they found 4 Alsatians and a couple of mongrels.

After finding this was not uncommon I never went in another Indian restaurant again. I've since found out that Chinese are even worse and tend to serve virtually anything they can get their hands on if it's cheap.

Qwerty133

Established Member
. I have to say a lot of people have Leicester down as a total dump but I quite appreciate the cultural mix up that's occurred there.

As long as you avoid Highfields, New Parks, parts of Braustone, and don't class Wigston and Whestone as leicester then it's actually quite nice :)
NB: I would not visit most of the above places alone during the day let alone at night.

Last edited:

tony_mac

Established Member
I was in a well known Indian place in York about 10 yrs ago.

3 days later it was raided and in the freezer they found 4 Alsatians and a couple of mongrels.

After finding this was not uncommon I never went in another Indian restaurant again. I've since found out that Chinese are even worse and tend to serve virtually anything they can get their hands on if it's cheap.

No, that was in Newcastle / Middlesbrough / Leeds / Coventry, etc. etc.

Sadly, these nonsense (and basically racist) rumours can put people out of business.
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/foodanddrink/8824481/Chinese-restaurant-bankruptcy-fear-after-false-dog-meat-rumour.html

http://www.snopes.com/horrors/food/chinese.asp

http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2011/oct/15/chinese-restaurant-dog-meat-myth

If you are genuinely worried about a place, you can usually check its food safety rating online, and get a full copy of the report from the local authority. (Places that were found butchering and selling dog meat would be in the courts and in the press - oddly enough there are no records of these....)

Last edited:

red circle

Faves,When in town,Lahore kebab house,2 umberston st E?.Needoo,new road,E? (down the side of the the London hospital.
Indian restaurant in the most unfortunate spot award goes to the 'Way to the Raj' Marks Tey.(Anyone got a photo ?).

HSTfan!!!

Established Member
Akbars in Birmingham is probably the best I have been to. Believe they have a few branches

Kneedown

Established Member
Cumin in Nottingham.
I would happily live on their lamb biryani.

+1. Fantastic place, although it's the lamb saag for me!

Memsaab is also good, but pricey.
Viceroy on Hucknall Road/Perry Road is another good one and less expensive.

fowler9

Established Member
Had a buffet in Aagrah in Skipton on Friday night prior to a wedding. Very nice.

Tibbs

My top 3:

Brilliant in Southall - Saw the name and thought that it was a bit arrogant. Tried it and the name is utterly deserved. Indian food via Kenya. The Chicken Keema will blow your mind.

Royal Nayim in Sparkbrook - Classic Balti House, school tables & chairs, menu under perspex on the table. Duvet Nan, quick service, beer from the offie cross the road. I last went more than 10 years ago, but 3 courses for 4 people for £30 when it's this quality is unbelievable.

Diwana Bhel Poori House Drummond Street - I'm a pretty committed meat eater, but this place is incredible. Great flavours, textures, and if you haven't tried Bhel Poori or Dosas, you're really missing out.

Places I haven't liked:

Curry Mile in Manchester. My friends keep taking me there, and I keep being disappointed, very average. Likewise Brick Lane - I think there's one curry house I've been to in both places that I'd rate as good.

/edit

For local places, my favourite Curry House in Watford is the Rabbani - nice decor, friendly staff and the food is a real cut above. The Lamb Tikka anything is well worth the trip. I happily walk the length of the High Street (and then some) to go there.

Last edited:

richw

Veteran Member
We don't have much in the way of Indian restaurants down here, but the last two times I had Indian take-aways I got food poisoning.
If I have an Indian now I just grab one from the Indian Counter at the local Asda which I normally enjoy.

RyanB

In Edinburgh I have to say that I love the Himalaya restaurant just up from Holy Corner. Sit in and Takeaway are top notch!

I loved the old Khushi's on Victoria Street before it burned down :cry:

There is a new one opposite the play-house, but it's not the same as the old one.

bnm

Established Member
Diwana Bhel Poori House Drummond Street - I'm a pretty committed meat eater, but this place is incredible.

Have actually been looking for a suitable meal venue in the Euston area for an upcoming meet. Won't be choosing this on though. Food Hygiene Rating of 1/5.

Status
Not open for further replies.