• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Your Favourite Transport Websites and Apps

Status
Not open for further replies.

Red Dragon

We were discussing which Websites and Apps we used when a group of us met in Wakefield last night. These are changing by the day so I thought I’d kick off a thread by listing some of the Websites and Apps I currently use, and would be interested to hear of other Members' favourites.

I did this quickly, and it isn’t by any means exhaustive. I have broken them down into a number of sub groups, but please feel free to add your own.

So as a starter : -

TICKET RELATED
All the ToCs have their own sites so I haven’t included them, with the exception of TPE, because the Forum receives some benefit from TPE.
TPE
You could use the Forum link to book your tickets - http://www.awin1.com/awclick.php?mid=2829&id=195643

Travel South Yorkshire http://www.travelsouthyorkshire.com/default.aspx
Use the Advanced Search option and this site allows you to specify which ToC you wish to use - so when there's an offer from a ToC it's extremely useful.
Unfortunately specifying the ToC doesn't work on a smart phone or mini ipad, but they are working on it.

Trainsplit.com https://raileasy.trainsplit.com/main.aspx
Suggestions for Split-Ticketing

Routing Guides, Yellow pages etc. all listed elsewhere in the Forum

TRAIN TIMES/PERFORMANCE
Real Time Trains http://www.realtimetrains.co.uk/search
Live info on platform allocation/changes
Live arrivals and departures
Live detailed individual train performance
Phone App available

Open Train Times http://www.opentraintimes.com/maps
Live track diagrams for some parts of the UK.

MAPS
UK ToCs
http://www.nationalrail.co.uk/static/documents/content/routemaps/nationalrailoperatorsmapzoom.pdf

SABRE http://www.sabre-roads.org.uk
This is a road related website but the map section gives, amongst other things, Bartholomew's Maps of the Pre-Beeching era showing the railways.
These might be useful to some Forum Members who walk/cycle the routes of old lines.

OTHER MODES OF TRANSPORT
London Underground App
http://www.zuti.co.uk/Zuti_Maps/LondonUnderground/London_underground.aspx
Journey Planner and which carriage you board in order to exit quickly at your chosen station.

UK Bus Checker App
http://www.buschecker.com/app/UK
Live times for bus arrivals where available or timetabled times. Recently updated and now more comprehensive with route planning in the paid for version.

Which are your favourite websites and apps ?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Tim R-T-C

Established Member
Like most people I use RTT religiously, checking most days for STPs on my local line - although there is massive potential for a spotters app to be built around such data - giving notification when an STP appears at a chosen station or a rarely activated freight path is being used etc. A comments box on each timing page could allow users to provide live gen information.

An addition to your list - seat61.com, a tremendously thorough website for travelling by train across the world. He emphasises the fastest routes which are not always the most exciting for rail fans, but it makes an excellent starting point.

Last edited:

Red Dragon

Like most people I use RTT religiously, checking most days for STPs on my local line - although there is massive potential for a spotters app to be built around such data - giving notification when an STP appears at a chosen station or a rarely activated freight path is being used etc. A comments box on each timing page could allow users to provide live gen information.

An addition to your list - seat61.com, a tremendously thorough website for travelling by train across the world. He emphasises the fastest routes which are not always the most exciting for rail fans, but it makes an excellent starting point.

Yes I agree re the spotters app, and Seat 61 is excellent. I hope to do a European trip for a few weeks next year, and I'm finding Seat 61 invaluable.

Silver Cobra

The main website I use for buying tickets is Virgin Trains East Coast's website. Their seat map system for making/adjusting seat reservations is brilliant, and I wish more TOCs used this kind of system, their sister company Virgin Trains in particular. I purchase tickets for all TOCs through VTEC, with exception only to VT, as it seems VTEC's site offers fewer options for seating preferences than booking directly with VT (trivial it may seem, but I can't handle facing backwards on trains...)

I also regularly use Raildar (http://www.raildar.co.uk) for checking train peformance and delay statistics. Very helpful for submitting delay repay claims.

For on-the-go information while on my travels, I use Thameslink's On Track app. I find it very easy to navigate around and search for information such as departure and arrival times for stations across the country. Having quick access to departures and estimated journey times between Arlesey and King's Cross (a regular journey I undertake) is very useful.

JaJaWa

Established Member
The main website I use for buying tickets is Virgin Trains East Coast's website. Their seat map system for making/adjusting seat reservations is brilliant, and I wish more TOCs used this kind of system, their sister company Virgin Trains in particular. I purchase tickets for all TOCs through VTEC, with exception only to VT, as it seems VTEC's site offers fewer options for seating preferences than booking directly with VT (trivial it may seem, but I can't handle facing backwards on trains...)

CrossCountry also have a seat map/selector, if you travel with them. I believe you can book on the Grand Central website to avoid any collection fees that CrossCountry add.

Red Dragon

CrossCountry also have a seat map/selector, if you travel with them. I believe you can book on the Grand Central website to avoid any collection fees that CrossCountry add.

Do these have a facility to change your seat like VTEC, as I dislike travelling backwards too.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
The main website I use for buying tickets is Virgin Trains East Coast's website. Their seat map system for making/adjusting seat reservations is brilliant, and I wish more TOCs used this kind of system, their sister company Virgin Trains in particular. I purchase tickets for all TOCs through VTEC.

I also regularly use Raildar (http://www.raildar.co.uk) for checking train peformance and delay statistics. Very helpful for submitting delay repay claims.

For on-the-go information while on my travels, I use Thameslink's On Track app. I find it very easy to navigate around and search for information such as departure and arrival times for stations across the country. Having quick access to departures and estimated journey times between Arlesey and King's Cross (a regular journey I undertake) is very useful.

Intersting info - I've not come across either the Railcar site or the Thameslink app before. I'll try them both in my travels. I used Thameslink as a commuter from Harpended but that was before the technology revolution!

I agree with your sentiments re the VTEC seat selection.

Last edited:

ainsworth74

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Do these have a facility to change your seat like VTEC, as I dislike travelling backwards too.

As far as I'm aware it does but CrossCountry don't tell you which way the direction of travel for the train is as they won't know which way round the train is.

gordonthemoron

Established Member
for buses, NCT & TrentBarton have very good websites. Most TOC ones are OK apart from VTWC which I don't like the mixing desk (or lack of) but I still use that the most. I still prefer bahn.de though

Tetchytyke

Veteran Member
RTT in conjunction with London Midland's JourneyCheck for delays on my usual commute, and CityMapper for travel around London. I used to use another app for London buses travel as that showed the number plate of the next buses (useful in the early days of Boris Bus spotting) but the user interface was so clunky it got on my nerves.

Red Dragon

As far as I'm aware it does but CrossCountry don't tell you which way the direction of travel for the train is as they won't know which way round the train is.

You are right - I often do Leeds to Derby and Birmingham and it is impossible.to book a facing seat because, as you rightly say, they don't know which way round the train will be.

SWT_USER

I used to really like using the RTT app until for some reason it stopped showing the train I use. Still useful for getting a head start on which platform a train will leave from in London

Springs Branch

Established Member
I know this is RailUK Forums, but the app I use most does not cover Britain at all. It's TransitTimes+, which is great for local transport I use in several cities in the USA & Australia.

I also like http://www.tramtracker.com/ for Yarra Trams in Melbourne (which even has a graphic of the type of tram you will be travelling on). I have heard others complain about this one, but I've had no issues.

Last edited:

Minilad

Established Member

Excuse my ignorance but why do you need to consult a website to make a delay replay claim. Surely you know how late your train is by looking at the time when you get off the train. Or am I missing something here

me123

Established Member
^ It is helpful to know the exact arrival time of the train in question, which you may have forgotten, or may be slightly different on the NR records (which are available on these sources, and are what the train companies use) to the time source the passenger used when they alighted from the train. It's particularly helpful if you're about half an hour late, or about an hour late, so that you can apply for the right level of compensation in confidence .

Red Dragon

They sound very interesting. Thank you.
For Historical Railway Maps

http://www.railmaponline.com/UKIEMap.php

You can hide the overlay if you want and I'd strongly recommend looking at the OS London Map. It has detailed trackwork for the London area, sometime around 1893 (I think).

This sounds very interesting, not come across this website before. Thanks.
^ It's particularly helpful if you're about half an hour late, or about an hour late, so that you can apply for the right level of compensation in confidence .

I agree and have in fact been 31 minutes late in the past, picked up the info from RTT and claimed.
Oh and by the way - no announcement was made about Delay Repay on board the East Coast train at the time.

SS4

Established Member
I use the Network West Midlands and Arriva Bus apps for real time bus info in the West Midlands especially to determine whether or not it's worth changing early or if I have time to pack up fully after work

Mojo

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
London Live is my favourite London bus App. It loads quickly because there are no adverts or silly maps when you don't need them. You can search for bus stops by either the stop name, SMS code, or location (such as address or postcode).

In addition to favourite stops, you can set favourite routes, so it shows you where all buses on that route are. If you click on a bus you can also see what stop it is next to arrive at, and if you keep it on this screen it shows you where the bus is presently.

Red Dragon

For Historical Railway Maps

http://www.railmaponline.com/UKIEMap.php

You can hide the overlay if you want and I'd strongly recommend looking at the OS London Map. It has detailed trackwork for the London area, sometime around 1893 (I think).

Thank you for posting this - it is truly remarkable and I didn't know this existed.

I quickly tried the web site and firstly went to Abercynon where I was born, and not only was the Taff Vale Railway shown, but Richard Trevithick's line from Penydarren to Abercynon was delineated !

Secondly I went to Nelson & Llancaiach where I was brought up and I knew all the tram roads, the TVR, the NA&H and the colliery lines - and they are all shown accurately. It even shows the tram road from Llancaiach mine to Abercynon which was very early.
The knowledge within this Forum never ceases to amaze me.
Well done and thank you - Brilliant
London Live is my favourite London bus App. It loads quickly because there are no adverts or silly maps when you don't need them. You can search for bus stops by either the stop name, SMS code, or location (such as address or postcode).

In addition to favourite stops, you can set favourite routes, so it shows you where all buses on that route are. If you click on a bus you can also see what stop it is next to arrive at, and if you keep it on this screen it shows you where the bus is presently.

This sounds very good.
How does this compare with Bus Checker. I live in Yorkshire and spend a fair bit of time in London so I use the UK paid for version of Bus Checker.

Red Dragon

Been making a lot of use of this site recently, also available as an app for Android called "vonatDroid". Also this one saved me a lot of waiting around looking for looking for locos that were not going to appear :)

Having looked at the web site I'd be interested to know where you did your "waiting around......for locos".

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.