• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Your local Railway station/facilities

Status
Not open for further replies.

LE Greys

Established Member
I take it you've never been to an airport then? ;) Or to a bus station in a busy town centre? And, away from public transport, how many petrol stations are that don't have an accompanying shop?

More seriously, I doubt anyone is suggesting that rural stations that see little use should have really elaborate facilities, but I think there is a case for many stations to have better than they currently have. And, although I can't quote any figures, I certainly recall reading that there is a fair bit of evidence that improving station facilities and the station environment does often increase passenger numbers. Maybe other people here will have more specific information.

Westbury, which can get quite busy at certain times of day, used to make do with a cramped waiting room and a tiny kiosk serving tea in polystyrene cups for years. This has now gone, replaced by a bigger (franchised) tea/coffee kiosk in a bigger waiting room. Quality has slipped a bit, but quantity has increased (whether that is a good thing I don't know).

With petrol stations, they obviously sell petrol, so anything else would be a sideline. And bus stations usually are not as isolated as some railway stations. They tend to be in the middle of town or adjacent to big shopping centres, so the situation is a bit different, like counting the Howard Centre as being associated with Welwyn Garden City station (although I suppose the siting was suggested by the station).

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

ATW Alex 101

Established Member
Capenhurst
2 trains an hour to Liverpool, 2 trains an hour to Chester. 1 train in each direction passing through non-stop. Station is in the middle of no-where (in the middle of a field). Small car park. TVM on the Chester bound platform. Bike sheds on both platforms, train info on both platforms. Additional information stand on Liverpool platform where you can browse the news. Seating and shelter available on both platforms.

34D

Established Member
Cross Gates

Ticket office open until lunchtime 5 days a week, no machine (coming soon apparently), recently-installed real time information screens, bus stops nearby.

Off-peak, two trains an hour to Leeds, Bradford and Halifax (one an hour continues to Bradfordn and the other one an hour also calls at Bramley then continues to Brighouse, Huddersfield and Wakefield (but doesn't return from these three). The other side there are two trains an hour all stations to Micklefield, one continuing all stations to Selby and the other alternately being fast to York or calling Church Fenton and York. The train to Selby starts at Manchester vic and runs semi fast to Halifax.

There is a couple of trains a day to Ulleskelf and a couple of TransPennine services calling (morning to Manchester Airport, evening to Middlesbrough.

Status
Not open for further replies.