• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Your most overcrowded train journey?

Status
Not open for further replies.

SpacePhoenix

Established Member
How long will it be with any of the Desiro Cities before we see a service so crush loaded that the TMS deems a coach to be overloaded and stops the driver from taking power

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

pemma

Veteran Member
A 142 from Knutsford to Manchester running a peak time service the week GHA Coaches collapsed meaning people trying to get to Macclesfield or Wilmslow had to take the train to Stockport and change. It must have left Hale with around 300 people on board and was around 20 minutes down by Stockport due to how difficult it was for people to get on and off at stations.

Although, when TPE still had 158s the guard refused to let me and other passengers board a Manchester bound train at Leeds due to how full it was, so that should probably count as a more crowded service but I wasn't able to travel on it.

Last edited by a moderator:

rg177

Established Member
Associate Staff
International Transport
Actually I've been on a worse one than I said before. 2 vice 3 on the Leeds to Goole meant that passengers were in the back cab and in every conceivable place. Locked up 10 minutes before departure due to overcrowding!

Sent from my SM-A310F using Tapatalk

Ianno87

Veteran Member
Can't remember the reason why, but the 1744 King's Cross-King's Lynn ran 4-cars vice 12-cars one evening. It was rather, ahem, *cosy*, on departure.

Liskeard-Looe on a summer Saturday morning, with a single 153.

Manchester Piccadilly to Sheffield on a single 158 on the first day of the new premier league season with Liverpool away at Sheffield Wednesday (it was a number of years ago!)

I've also had some very cosy commuter trains from Bolton to Manchester in my time as well.

OneOffDave

How long will it be with any of the Desiro Cities before we see a service so crush loaded that the TMS deems a coach to be overloaded and stops the driver from taking power

I was on a Pendolino from MKC to EUS one morning where the preceeding train was late and this one was short formed. We all got on and the doors shut. there was an announcement asking people in one of the centre coaches to move to other parts of the train as that coach was overloaded and the train couldn't depart

D365

Veteran Member

How would that help the service? Do you always blame the TMS in any instance?

pemma

Veteran Member
Manchester Piccadilly to Sheffield on a single 158 on the first day of the new premier league season with Liverpool away at Sheffield Wednesday (it was a number of years ago!)

I was on a very busy train the day Liverpool had their Champions League victory parade. Somehow TPE organised an 8 car 158 working for their last train from Liverpool which still had standing passengers. It was also an interesting working as it had a 158 loaned from CT sandwiched in between a real 3 car 158 and a hybrid 3 car 158.

infobleep

Veteran Member
That sounds like the last rail replacement bus of the night between Leeds and Wakefield one Saturday. It definitely wasn't within coach guidelines, and the good people running Wakefield Westgate didn't even let anyone use the loo when we got there.
Do coach guidelines apply in London? Haha. I've not counted but I'd be surprised if they weren't exceeded as many but not all drivers, they to get as many on as humanly possible.

Mutant Lemming

Established Member
Plenty of times-especially when people that are onboard WON'T MOVE DOWN THE BLOODY AISLE!

(Just saying, that really winds me up that people expect others to stay on the platform for an hour as they are too selfish to move when you can see space inside the carriage!)

........ almost as bad as being trapped on board by people not letting you out at your stop. Many people stay close to the doors for this reason.

ChiefPlanner

Established Member
2 car 117 on the Clapham - Willesden one tube strike day in 1998 - as Ops Manager I sanctioned 3 + self into the driving cab. Boy were they pleased.

313 on Harrow - Euston additionals on the same day - super crush loading which actually affected the braking capability of the units.

gg1

Established Member
On the Cross City line in the evening peak 3 car services are invariably crush loaded on departure from New Street. For long distance services, evening peak southbound XC departures from Manchester and Leeds can be just as bad.

higthomas

I think my worst was trying to get onto a London bound HST at Castle Cary on an August bank holiday monday a couple of years ago. It was late afternoon and the frequency was reduced and it was very cosy. The kind guard was determined me and my very full walking rucksack would get on. We spent 5-10 minutes trying every door until we found one I could fit on. He put my rucksack in the Power car.
I though had a nice time with my head out the window enjoying the late summer air.

AntoniC

Yesterday me and my dad where on the 16.22 Manchester Piccadilly to Southport.

It was a short formed 2 car pacer and it was rammed from Piccadilly to Wigan Wall gate (it should have been a 4 car train ).

Luckily me and my dad got seats, but the journey was still uncomfortable.

GW43125

Established Member
If we're not counting the tube, it has to be the morning I did Staines to London with my then school group.

The Reading train was 20 late, so the Windsor turned up first.

Leaving Richmond I estimate roughly 120 people per carriage. I believe the word is "friendly".

SpacePhoenix

Established Member
With trains that have loading sensors, if whilst the train is moving someone walks into a carriage taking that carriage's weight above the limit, would the TMS refuse to let the train move the next time it stops? Would the TMS cause a brake application to stop the train (and if it would, just a normal or an emergency brake application)?

infobleep

Veteran Member
........ almost as bad as being trapped on board by people not letting you out at your stop. Many people stay close to the doors for this reason.
Have you ever not been able to get off a train for this reason? Not happened to me yet. Perhaps I've been lucky.

SpacePhoenix

Established Member
Have you ever not been able to get off a train for this reason? Not happened to me yet. Perhaps I've been lucky.

When i was on the really overcrowded train the guard was announcing the next stop a good 5mins before hand, each time asking people to let others get past who wanted the next stop

Firesprite

7.34am March to Stansted Airport Monday to Friday (First train to Cambridge and the only one to arrive before 9am). Grossly overloaded on arrive at March, You need to be right by the doors to stand a chance of getting on. If a two coach unit turns up instead of a 3 coach unit you know you are going to be late to work.

gg1

Established Member

It's never happened to me personally but I did witness it once at Five Ways on a southbound Cross City service.

Kite159

Veteran Member
The 19:20 to Exeter from Waterloo when SWT had their £14 day return deal on during school holidays, first service which those tickets were valid on so was rammed

Status
Not open for further replies.