• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Your most overcrowded train journey?

Status
Not open for further replies.

J-2739

Established Member
What's the most crowded, cramped and overpoweringly busiest train sevice you've ever boarded?

For me, it's the class 185 from Manchester Piccadily to Leeds.

Also, special mention to a journey on the D Stock (London Underground) from Kew Gardens to Westminister.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Iskra

Established Member
185's Leeds-Manchester or Manchester-Preston
220's Birmingham-Reading Route
220/221's Bristol-York
175's Cardiff-Manchester
Single 221's on the WCML

Last edited:

rg177

Established Member
Associate Staff
International Transport
Undoubtedly a 4 car 319 from Blackfriars to St Pancras in the evening peak last August.

It had been delayed by 15 minutes at Blackfriars and wasn't even that busy when it arrived but on departure it was standing room only. After City Thameslink we were at what i'd deem to be full and then at Farringdon people rammed themselves on despite pleas from the announcer to stop as there would be another stopper in a few minutes.

One bloke forced himself on and rammed his elbow into me in doing so, at which point I invited him to step off again, which he did :lol:

I still however had my face physically pushed against the door until St Pancras. It was however the end of 14 days on an ALR so I was more bothered about getting home than a 15 minute squish.

Kite159

Veteran Member
Does LU count? ;)

Northern line in the evening peak from London Bridge towards Bank, Central line when there was a 5 minute gap in services. A S7 during Notting Hill weekend getting quite cosy

Last edited:

Kristofferson

Anything eastbound in peak on the Piccadilly.

They're full from the moment they leave the airport and the frequency is rubbish, so forget about using the Picc to actually get around London!

During the brief period I commuted on the line, more often than not, I'd give up waiting for a board-able one and get an Uber instead (thank you friend codes!)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

class387

Established Member
A single 365 on the first Royston service out of Kings Cross after Storm Doris, boarding at Potters Bar.

yorksrob

Veteran Member
The last stopper from Leeds to Sheffield via Barnsley on a bank holiday Sunday. On one occasion the train didn't physically move because the driver couldn't get in.

Also on occasions, Saturday evening Calder valley services out of Victoria.

roversfan2001

Established Member
As a one off, the 1930 Blackburn to Preston service after the Blackburn v Manchester United game last month. 2 car 158 turned up so was bound to be full anyway. Departed 27L because someone pulled the passcomm.

SpacePhoenix

Established Member
Last year from Woking heading west. It was meant to be 2x444 but it was only 1x444 that turned up (think it was due to a train fault). We were crowded into the bike storage area, iirc we literally had to get that train as I believe the next train, our tickets wouldn't have been valid (it was the SWTs super-off-peak return ticket offer). It emptied out a fair bit thankfully at Southampton Airport Parkway

LordCreed

Having commuted on the Waterloo and City line, that was always entertaining in the evening peak.

Strathclyder

Established Member
Single 318s/320s on Airdrie-Balloch services from Queen St Low Level past 16:00. No question about it.

AM9

Veteran Member
Slightly earlier than most of the posts in this thread:
Way back in the early '70s when Ray Bucton and friends were working to rule, there was a dearth of EMUs on the GEML that the driver couldn't find a working kettle on etc..
I remember several 8/12-car trains being cancelled, and being greeted with a single four-car 305/307/308 (can't remember which) at Shenfield. When it set off, I was one of 24 passengers in a non-corridor 6-a-side compartment, - 12 seated and twelve standees managing to find a few square inches to put our feet on the floor. It was reported in the news at that time that a similar compartment had 30 travelling in it. With just the edge of the luggage rack to steadt bodies, an emergency brake application may well have resulted in injuries through the standees crushing those seated.
I've never seen crush loading like that since on any railway vehicle in the UK including any metro services or the tube. I suspect that H&S issues would kick-in before it gets to that.

Last edited:

Kite159

Veteran Member
Mainline side, probably a couple years ago on the 08:59 from Grateley towards Waterloo which is a busy service at the best of times (first off-peak arrival into London from this area, plus 2nd service from Exeter). It was a Monday before Christmas and it was a single 159.

Other times has been single 159s on the late evening services from Waterloo towards Salisbury on Army v Navy weekends, this area has a few army camps and with the previous service getting cancelled I just managed to board it at basingstoke

sprinterguy

Established Member
I tend not to board excessively overcrowded trains, I prefer to wait for a following, quieter, service where possible.

One of the worst I have had no choice but to endure, as I had a booked reservation on a later train from Birmingham, was a single Crosscountry class 220 between Leamington Spa and Birmingham during snow disruption the Sunday before Christmas in December 2010, when very few trains on the Chiltern line were getting through and we had already been turfed off a Chiltern 165 which had struggled bravely on from Banbury as far as Leamington. The raging hangover didn't help any.

To be fair, the cramped conditions are often little different on regular Crosscountry services on the Birmingham - Stafford and Derby axes (probably others too, but the northbound legs are the ones I am familiar with), and not just at peak times: I recall once having to catch an overcrowded lunchtime Crosscountry service from Birmingham when heading to Newcastle one Friday or Saturday, with the added complexity that I was wielding a bass guitar and, for reasons I cannot clearly recall, more luggage than my 'travel light' ethos would usually countenance. I had a seat reservation, but there was no chance that I was able to get anywhere near it.

An honourable mention should also be made of the late morning Pacer between Sunderland and Newcastle that was so overloaded that it simply ground to a halt and stuck on the tight curve in Gateshead. The resigned tone of the guard in announcing the issue and the dexterity that the driver demonstrated in eventually negotiating his charge out of the bend suggests that this is far from the first time that this has happened, and single class 142 operated services between Sunderland and Newcastle are often full and standing even off peak with no major local football engagements on.

Having recently reacquainted myself with the North Transpennine corridor, I do pity those who have to regularly traverse the core section between York/Leeds and Manchester/Liverpool: It seems that all but the most peripheral of late night services, on any day of the week, suffer from some degree of overcrowding and I am quite familiar with standing in the large vestibule by the disabled toilet as the only option. The new trains can't come soon enough, though I do wonder for how many years even they'll prove sufficient to cater for passenger demand over the route.

Last edited:

infobleep

Veteran Member
The 8.39 Clapham Junction to Milton Keynes, which started from East Croydon, was a train one couldn't always board. There was only one train an hour to Milton Keynes too.

Most people were alighting at Shepberds Bush as well but not me.

One time I got to the platform at 8.24 and waited but didn't wait in the right spot so couldn't board the train when it came in, despite arriving on the platform before many others did. Tracy me to lay more attention when I have 15 minute waits.

I don't know if it's improved since the introduction of additional peak trains. The strike action may have made some people realise alternative routes exist of course.

The other day the 7.56 East Croydon to Victoria service was so rammed.I could only get on sideways. I don't know where it started from. Not the most comfortable for me of my fellow passengers. It was armpits and heads in close quarters.

Part of me enjoys the experience of trying to squash on. I see it as an adventure but only because I do it so infrequently. I'd tire of it every day.

The train after it was cancelled and as I had a connection at Clapham Junction, I didn't fancy waiting for another train.

Last edited:

Trog

Established Member
310 unit heading north from Watford one 1980's evening when snow was disrupting services. 1st train failed to get on, 2nd train tried for the brake compartment but it was full. 3rd train full and standing in the rear cab, but got home.

PHILIPE

Veteran Member
Many Cardiff Valley services in the Peaks when, not just overcrowded, people can't even get on. Almost daily occurrence.

duncanp

Established Member
I would second the earlier poster who said anything on the GOBLIN in the peak hour.

Also anything on the North London Line whenever there is a tube strike. Once I was on such a train (Eastbound) standing by the doors and when it arrived at Camden Road I pressed the Door Close button so that the doors couldn't open in response to people on the platform pressing the Door Open button. Yes, I know this is rather selfish, but it was physically impossible for anyone to board, and had the doors opened and people tried to get on, there would either have been a dangerous crush such as happened at Hillsborough, or a punch up. Has anyone witnessed verbal or physical altercations when passengers can't board?

Established Member
I would second the earlier poster who said anything on the GOBLIN in the peak hour.

Also anything on the North London Line whenever there is a tube strike. Once I was on such a train (Eastbound) standing by the doors and when it arrived at Camden Road I pressed the Door Close button so that the doors couldn't open in response to people on the platform pressing the Door Open button. Yes, I know this is rather selfish, but it was physically impossible for anyone to board, and had the doors opened and people tried to get on, there would either have been a dangerous crush such as happened at Hillsborough, or a punch up. Has anyone witnessed verbal or physical altercations when passengers can't board?
Plenty of times-especially when people that are onboard WON'T MOVE DOWN THE BLOODY AISLE!

(Just saying, that really winds me up that people expect others to stay on the platform for an hour as they are too selfish to move when you can see space inside the carriage!)

me123

Established Member
6 car Class 320 from Glasgow Queen Street to Airdrie (I got on at Partick, thankfully). Of the six cars, one unit (three cars) was locked out of use due to some sort of failure earlier in the journey, and someone had vomited one of the remaining coaches also locking it out of use, or at least that's what the ticket inspector said. Certainly a very cosy ride home that night. (Interestingly, this didn't stop someone putting her handbag on the seat next to her!).

NSEFAN

Established Member
A 442 evening departure from London Bridge to Brighton in the peak, during the Southern strikes. It really was a case of sardines on that train, although it got much better after East Croydon.

PHILIPE

Veteran Member
Plenty of times-especially when people that are onboard WON'T MOVE DOWN THE BLOODY AISLE!

(Just saying, that really winds me up that people expect others to stay on the platform for an hour as they are too selfish to move when you can see space inside the carriage!)

I think the reason why people are reluctant to move down the aisles is because they are afraid they will not be able to reach the doors when they reach the station at which they are alighting.

infobleep

Veteran Member
6 car Class 320 from Glasgow Queen Street to Airdrie (I got on at Partick, thankfully). Of the six cars, one unit (three cars) was locked out of use due to some sort of failure earlier in the journey, and someone had vomited one of the remaining coaches also locking it out of use, or at least that's what the ticket inspector said. Certainly a very cosy ride home that night. (Interestingly, this didn't stop someone putting her handbag on the seat next to her!).

I hope someone told her to move the bag so they can sit down. I know I would have done.

infobleep

Veteran Member
I think the reason why people are reluctant to move down the aisles is because they are afraid they will not be able to reach the doors when they reach the station at which they are alighting.
If the train is that busy, I'd hope the driver and second member of staff, if present, would not let the train go to quickly. Of course passengers might not be sure of that happening.

If a bus is running late and I think I might miss a train, I tend to stand nearer the door exit.

TC60054

1B69 0726 Cleethorpes to Manchester Airport (from Sheffield at 0911) twice last November, easily. Past full and standing both times, sardine tins would be a more accurate description. Not helped by the three departures behind from Stockport advertised as full and standing both weekends when they were actually pretty quiet, so more people boarding (or trying to!) the TPE.

Strathclyder

Established Member
My tolerance for this kind of selfish, ignorant behavior is practically non-existent, especially when the train/bus (have seen it happen on both on countless occasions) is rammed to the gunnels. If I had anything resembling nerve in such situations, I'd place the offending bag underneath the seat or on the luggage racks, where it damn well should be to start with.

Last edited:

Veteran Member
Slightly earlier than most of the posts in this thread:
I was one of 24 passengers in a non-corridor 6-a-side compartment, - 12 seated and twelve standees managing to find a few square inches to put our feet on the floor. It was reported in the news at that time that a similar compartment had 30 travelling in it.

24 sounds very likely, in and out of Charing Cross in the peak. I recall being stuck at New Cross one evening with at least that number - 30 would have been spectacular.

And going back further, if the 1552 West Dulwich-Orpington was 4 vice 8EPB it was very uncomfortable, though at least the passengers weren't all full-size....

exile

Established Member
No train I've been on has been as crowded as buses I've travelled on in Italy. None of your "48 seated and 13 standing" nonsense there!

yorksrob

Veteran Member
No train I've been on has been as crowded as buses I've travelled on in Italy. None of your "48 seated and 13 standing" nonsense there!

That sounds like the last rail replacement bus of the night between Leeds and Wakefield one Saturday. It definitely wasn't within coach guidelines, and the good people running Wakefield Westgate didn't even let anyone use the loo when we got there.

Status
Not open for further replies.