• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Your Operator of the Year 2023

Status
Not open for further replies.

MKJai

As we roll into the end of 2023, let's spill the tea on our fave (and not-so-fave) TOCs!

Which TOCs do you think are the best, the worst and the most improved in this year?

It will be interesting to hear your thoughts.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

mikeg

Established Member
I was actually contemplating starting a similar thread myself.

I'd say most improved is difficult, none have improved enough to warrant praise. However I do have an honourable mention of ScotRail for their peak fare abolition trial and generally being okay. South of the border, CrossCountry haven't gotten any worse, so they'd win by default. So for the sake of argument I'm saying CrossCountry for 'best'* and ScotRail for 'most improved' .

Worst? In terms of getting worse I'm going with Grand Central.

*I honsetly never thought I'd say that. They've done literally nothing to improve, but the others have gotten worse in many ways. At least they seem to have fewer cancellations than others and don't have the compulsory reservations flag, even if their fares are a tad pricey and their trains a tad crap.

Skiddaw

Have to say I'm impressed with the improvement in Avanti (at least around here). Admittedly, that was starting from a massively low baseline but nevertheless they really do seem to have reinvented themselves. I'd add that the staff were always lovely, but the trains actually generally run these days, which is a serious result!

Last edited:

Purple Train

Established Member
Best: Greater Anglia. Hands down. Fast, reliable, and an excellent fleet of new trains. Always a pleasure to travel with them.

Worst: Probably TPE, what with the fiasco earlier this year. I could also have picked Avanti or Northern, but I think TPE simply for how bad they were. GWR would be in with a shout for their long-distance stuff, but their local operations are generally excellent, as opposed to TPE, where the collapse in service quality affected all of it.

Most improved: Probably Avanti again. TPE have also improved a lot but that was from a colossally low point, and they're still not great. Avanti are at least mediocre, which is a significant improvement from what they were.

Established Member
I was actually contemplating starting a similar thread myself.

I'd say most improved is difficult, none have improved enough to warrant praise. However I do have an honourable mention of ScotRail for their peak fare abolition trial and generally being okay. South of the border, CrossCountry haven't gotten any worse, so they'd win by default. So for the sake of argument I'm saying CrossCountry for 'best'* and ScotRail for 'most improved' .

*I honsetly never thought I'd say that. They've done literally nothing to improve, but the others have gotten worse in many ways. At least they seem to have fewer cancellations than others and don't have the compulsory reservations flag, even if their fares are a tad pricey and their trains a tad crap.
It’s a hard one and I honest could say who is good or bad.

As for Crosscountry, but the amount of services now running as 4/5 car vice 8/9/10 seems to have drastically increased. I know it was not there choice to get rid of HST, and that has made allocations have to be altered.

There cancellations also seem to be more prevalent of late as well.

J-2739

Established Member
Greater Anglia by far. Clean, punctual, and reliable, with some lovely modern trains to boot. Makes Northern look rubbish in comparison.

yorksrob

Veteran Member
Well, it's been a dire year - it has to be said, not primarily the railway's fault.

But I've found LNER's 225 services to be generally consistent and high quality, comfortable and in most cases, not too crowded. These are my faves for this year.

TheLunaPark

Greater Anglia by far. Clean, punctual, and reliable, with some lovely modern trains to boot. Makes Northern look rubbish in comparison.
Northern (along with Avanti and TpE) doesn’t need comparisons to any other TOC to look rubbish. All three are mostly pathetic. Not targeting the frontline staff that try their best of course, just the overall companies.

Last edited:

johnnychips

Established Member
Taken over the whole year, it has to be Northern, who have generally got me to and from work punctually, on clean trains with conscientious guards, 95% of the time. Others’ experiences may differ!

Again, over the whole year, South TPE have definitely been the worst, with numerous cancellations; however they are also very much improved over the past month or so, though still suffering from short-forming.

On Moderation
Worst: Where shall we start? SWR?

Last edited by a moderator:

rg177

Established Member
Associate Staff
International Transport
As an operator - it's got to be Greater Anglia. I mostly use them on the Stansted Express route but they're generally punctual and run a fleet of comfortable, modern trains (aisle width in the 720s aside).

Here in the North East, Northern are generally fine and their staff are lovely - naturally such performance isn't as good in the likes of South Yorkshire and the North West.

dk1

Veteran Member
It still comes as a surprise to me that we get so much praise at Greater Anglia these days after so many years of negative comments and sub-standard service. It really has been some transformation since 2019 and who would have thought it possible?

Rail Quest

I've not travelled with many operators this year so for me, best would be unfortunately be Northern, despite my criticisms of them. They've just about managed to get me from A to B consistently even if their sprinter fleet is knackered and they're certainly not what I would consider a good operator.

As for worst, all of the operators (incl. Northern) could be considered. I think overall, TfW have been the worst performing when I've used them - their services are always full and the culling of the 175s before anywhere near enough replacement caf units were in yielded a far from ideal travelling experience most of the time. Avanti are a close second though they are starting to stabilise and TPE are a tight third.

It still comes as a surprise to me that we get so much praise at Greater Anglia these days after so many years of negative comments and sub-standard service. It really has been some transformation since 2019 and who would have thought it possible?
Perhaps it's more because of the decline of other operators combined with the introduction of the stadlers. I mean, even if I rarely travel with you guys, GA certainly strike me as a far more competent operator than any that go within 30 miles of Manchester:lol:

YorkRailFan

On Moderation
Fully agree!

My best would have to be LNER, their trains are relatively reliable, comfortable, fast and overall great value for money. In terms of the worst, hands down GC, the reliability, the comfort, everything was horrible. In terms of most improved, probably Northern, since becoming an OLR and getting new trains, Northern has become a great option when traveling York-Leeds among many others. I'd put TPE in second for most improved, I traveled with them four times in one week, and they didn't cancel any of my trains during that week which is a huge win in TPE terms.

dk1

Veteran Member
Perhaps it's more because of the decline of other operators combined with the introduction of the stadlers. I mean, even if I rarely travel with you guys, GA certainly strike me as a far more competent operator than any that go within 30 miles of Manchester:lol:

Do you know that a lot of it goes down to those great days of Anglia Railways and their general attitude to customer service which was like a mini GNER. Many of those visions and indeed us staff and management are still here.

Another couple of things that GA has going for it is the proactive social media team and the way we have continued with the excellent station adopting scheme which gives a welcoming environment at even the smallest and rural of stations.

Adrian1980uk

The change has been dramatic, Greater Anglia run trains when they say they will and the never ending weekend engineering work on the great Eastern appears to have played its part too.

The new trains have had an effect, I'd say more so on the branch lines as there's more of them and more space.

It maybe also, 745s apart, are not pushing the availability to the limit

Established Member
Lucky to live in East Anglia but bias apart GA are pretty much as reliable as it’s possible to be.

They’re not perfect, the first class provision on the Norwich service for example is inconsistent, but that’s more a legacy of the fleet they were landed with by the bid team.

But credit also to Network Rail. Takes two to tango. Infrastructure failures seem to have declined quite noticeably, especially on the GEML, to a level Great Western users can only dream of.

dk1

Veteran Member
The change has been dramatic, Greater Anglia run trains when they say they will and the never ending weekend engineering work on the great Eastern appears to have played its part too.

The new trains have had an effect, I'd say more so on the branch lines as there's more of them and more space.

It maybe also, 745s apart, are not pushing the availability to the limit

Engineering works are unfortunate but obviously necessary on such a busy piece of railway much of it used by copious amounts of freight. The two new major stations being constructed both on the East & West are adding to this.

My local village Facebook page sees praise now for the trains (unheard of in 153/156 days) and much more criticism for the bus route. Such a turnaround.

Brooke

I’m going to jump on the Greater Anglia bandwagon as well. Cheap(er) tickets than most, solid and reliable service, clean trains. Seem to work well for me long distance to Norwich and also on commuter trips nearer London.

I’m going to say Avanti for the worst: I never travel with them, but every week they manage to significantly delay my wife in her travel between London and Manchester. Over 50% of her money spent has been paid back in delay repay, truly astonishing.

Energy

Established Member
Greater Anglia is excellent, though to be fair they have the advantage of not having to share most of their infrastructure.

Avanti do well, the pendo refurbs are excellent though Avanti have a tendency to have insane delays. Sometimes it isn't their fault but it isn't that uncommon to have a pendo have issues parked in a station and rock up an hour plus delay.

WMR do well, especially given their short turnarounds. Though the bus-ituatuon of Leamington - Nuneaton is far, far too frequent. I get that they rely a lot on overtime but relying on it has been a problem since London Midland...
My local village Facebook page sees praise now for the trains (unheard of in 153/156 days) and much more criticism for the bus route. Such a turnaround.
My experience of the 755s on regional is a clean interior, great staff and a train running early, plenty to praise!

YorkRailFan

On Moderation
My experience of the 755s on regional is a clean interior, great staff and a train running early, plenty to praise!
When I traveled on the 755s for the first time in April 2022, I was amazed, we honestly need more FLIRTs on regional lines. Clean, fast and comfortable trains, what's not to love?

Mzzzs

For me there are only a few operators i will give praise for greater anglia, lner, hull trains and great northern(partially).

The worst every time for me is Cross country i mostly travel on there 170 routes and find they awful every time.

Class15

On Moderation
Best: GreaterAnglia - despite my scorn of the “complete fleet replacement” idea, services are punctual and efficient.

Worst: Where to start? Probably Avanti, more bad journeys with them this year, just to add to my previous woes on their trains.

Iskra

Established Member
Best: Northern. They aren’t perfect but the operation is pretty much transformed from a few years ago. The experience of 195’s is way better than the leaky pacers of a couple of years ago. They are generally much improved. Staff are always cheery too and they are cheap, have a vast route map and offer good value products such as the Duo. I appreciate there is a lottery based on your location, however.

Most improved: Transpennine. Still work in progress, but all of their trains feel modern, and Ive had some really good experiences this year on their rolling stock and in their first class. Their staff are friendly and accommodating.

Worst: Probably XC due to major capacity issues and incorrectly issuing me a TIR. However, it’s probably more the DFT/treasury imposing these capacity issues. In fairness to XC they did engage well with enthusiasts with the final HST runs and the farewell tour, so not all bad.

Purple Train

Established Member
Lucky to live in East Anglia but bias apart GA are pretty much as reliable as it’s possible to be.

They’re not perfect, the first class provision on the Norwich service for example is inconsistent, but that’s more a legacy of the fleet they were landed with by the bid team.

But credit also to Network Rail. Takes two to tango. Infrastructure failures seem to have declined quite noticeably, especially on the GEML, to a level Great Western users can only dream of.
Absolutely. I'm very envious of my friends out east, especially when I'm waiting (again) for a train going far enough away from London that I can get home, when the infrastructure's been playing up all day, and a 4tph base frequency descends into an irregular finders-keepers - but I do know that, if/when I go back over to visit them, I will be there on time, for a reasonable price, after a smooth and almost always stress-free journey on excellent rolling stock, which is more than I can say for any of the regular journeys I have to undertake. Absolutely top marks to everyone at GA - I can't praise it highly enough.

HarryF

Best: Great Western Railway. Even with being told to bin some of their trains by the DFT and push their fleet to the limit, I’ve never been too worried I wouldn’t get where I needed to. Staff have been great and helpful.
Worst: LNER for what I can only describe as a refusal to attempt to run trains resembling the timetable. Their timetable needs a rewrite with longer journey times and station dwells to make it more realistic.

xotGD

Established Member
Northern have got me to and from Leeds prerty much without fail this year, save for the occasional cancellation which has meant a short delay. They've also been a much more reliable means of getting to and from Manchester than the shambles of TPE. And their Advances on peak time trains are a bargain.

And talking of TPE, they end the year on a new low with their shameful slashing of the timetable and binning of the Mark 5a sets.

So thumps up for Northern. Thumbs down for TPE.

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member
I live near a station served by Northern and TPE, so those two are the operators I've used most over the last year. Of those two, Northern win hands down. LNER get an honourable mention as they haven't let me down.
Not sure TPE deserve the "worst" tag, but there aren't really any other candidates- even Grand Central have been fine when I've used them. Can I nominate Arriva Yorkshire buses instead?

northernchris

Established Member
I rarely have issues when travelling with LNER, so would put them as the best. Majority of their frontline staff are excellent, and the stations they manage are welcoming.

Northern would be the worst, can't think of anything they do well.

Status
Not open for further replies.