• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Your proudest moment

Status
Not open for further replies.

Minilad

Established Member
On Saturday I had a visit to the NRM and came across 87001. Then it suddenly struck me (not 87001 as that would have hurt) that I had driven 87001 on my driver training.
I was suddenly filled with pride that I have actually driven a locomotive that is currently on display at the NRM

So what has filled you with pride (Railway related or not)

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

RyanB

There are many moments in my relatively short life that I would say that I'm proud of, but I still think that my proudest moment is yet to come.

steamybrian

Established Member
Non railway
I recently passed the Amateur Swimming Association Bronze Award at the age of 61 involving 400 metres non stop swim, 5 metres underwater, etc
I was envious at school watching my schoolfriends pass whilst I sat at the poolside unable to swim. I learnt to swim a few lengths of the pool in my 20s but did not really take any interest in swimming until about two years ago when I realised I needed to reduce the intake of beer and keep fit.
Railway Later this year I require one day of track bashing and I would have travelled over the entire National Rail system.

Rugd1022

Well oddly XCDriver, it's pretty much as per your OP... I drove 87 001 several times when I was a secondman at Stonebridge Park, back in the days when it was unofficially encouraged so we could learn the ropes first hand.... so whenever I see it at York I get a warm glow too. Other than that, passing out as a Driver and working my first 'solo' trip is probably my proudest 'railway' moment.

Thinking again about this particular loco, I suddenly very old.... I can vividly recall seeing it at Rugby for the first time when it was brand spanking new..!

;)

When I got my job as a driver and also when I was on 'Inside Out' filmed at work. Hopefully got an even prouder moment coming up in the future though!...

AlterEgo

Veteran Member
Not being married, or a parent yet, I'd say my proudest moment so far has been attending the Royal Garden Party at Buckingham Palace and meeting the Queen personally. I was invited when I was 18 or so - I took my dear old mum with me and it was a fantastic day!

Wyvern

Established Member
Being associated with the work that went on at the Research Division in the sixties ans seventies, such as the APT.

The Snap

Established Member
Being on the first tier at Wembley when the referee blew the final whistle of the 2011 FA Cup Final between City and Stoke. Without question the happiest moment of my life. CTID.

westcoaster

Established Member
Mine has to be the birth of our first child, followed by passing out as a driver and making the first solo trip by my self.

Mine would have to a tie between achieving 4 world records on the london underground and meeting my current lady jo.

mumrar

Established Member
Both of my boys being born. Then marrying my wife, then cover shots on magazines of trains.

deltic1989

Established Member
Mine would have to be my passing out parade in the Navy.

Ive got to add to mine as well, the birth of my children, and ive got another on the way in September, so another proud moment to come. Oh and passing my driving test, that was pretty special.

DiscoStu

Completing an overland trip from London to Sydney in 2007.

Amazing trip but it was incredibly tough in places like the Himalayas and Pakistan.

Also being awarded employee of the year at work a couple of months ago.

newbie babs

I have to say there have been four that are to hard to separate

- the birth of my children and my grandchildren
- my 13,000 tandem skydive for charity (I suffer from positional vertigo) which was a difficult task
- at 42 gaining my first ever exam result an A in English Language and Literature
- my sons coming back from serving in Iraq together safe and sound

DiscoStu

I have to say there have been four that are to hard to separate

- the birth of my children and my grandchildren
- my 13,000 tandem skydive for charity (I suffer from positional vertigo) which was a difficult task
- at 42 gaining my first ever exam result an A in English Language and Literature
- my sons coming back from serving in Iraq together safe and sound

I forgot my skydive!! That's in my top three as well :D

LE Greys

Established Member
I ought to say my graduation, but that was not much of a proud moment, because my marks collapsed in final year, so I had to go through with the resits and only got a 2-2 instead of a 2-1. Didn't stop me doing a 'presidential' wave as I stepped off the stage, though.

I think the proudest was the day I broke out of the special school system to get into university, the day I could consider myself a genuine member of society instead of a waste of space that nobody really wanted.

Chapeltom

Established Member
Only 18 but...

Walking the Pennine Way from Edale to Kirk Yetholm (268 miles) in 15 days at 17
Walking the Coast to Coast from St Bees to Robin Hoods Bay (198.5 miles) in 10 days - very recently!

Having my first live radio appearance as a 16 year old and subsequently getting a weekly slot on the same show...

Status
Not open for further replies.