• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Your Rail Highlights of 2013

Status
Not open for further replies.

Techniquest

Veteran Member
Hey all,

Well it's now officially December, so for the last 31 days of the year let's summarise the best bits of 2013 :) For this first post, I'm looking at my RailMiles page, my next post will be done whilst going through my notebook for any other highlights.

January

After a hellfire New Year's Eve houseparty, I was lucky enough to start my year's bashing on New Year's Day. A Cheshire Day Ranger bash was the order of the day and I had a massive shack scratching spree going on, as well as properly testing out my new camera. After what was a pretty good day once I banished my hangover, it was back to work. Only a few days later on 7th January, it was off on my first solo European adventure by rail, definitely a big highlight of the year :D To think I had been going to cancel it a couple of weeks beforehand, for reasons I really won't discuss! An absolute ton of requirements had and a great time all in, for a very short time I was even top of the forum mileage competition table! :shock: January was rounded up with my first WMDR of the year on 24th January, which saw me finally clear my 221s which was brilliant :D

February

18th February was next up, and it was the Tyne and Wear Metro bash, which saw much of the network cleared (I still need Byker to North Shields, due to the closure at the time) and quite a few shacks scratched as well as a lot of progress in my NREA with the system's rolling stock :D A week later I was back up north, this time on a Greater Manchester Rail Ranger trip, for another shack scratching spree and hunting winners. Pretty good results were had IIRC! The trip had come about due to an error in booking a Travelodge, I wasn't wasting the money for the booking so went on a bash! It was also the same day I finally finished my 323s for haulage, the first EMU class to be finished too for me :D

March

Again a bit of a quiet spell until 11th March, when I went on my first InterRail bash :D My first visit to the Netherlands and Luxembourg were had and lots of required track, lots of winners and a fantastic time was had. Can't wait to do another InterRail, although when I'll be able to afford it again I don't know :( 9 days after getting back from the brilliant adventure, I was off again on the 25th, this time a much more leisurely afternoon on what I've termed a '180 Spin 'n' Lose', although I had also gone out to scratch the shack at Evesham so it wasn't a total waste.

April

8th April was the next trip, this one was to be a WMDR with a difference. That being that one of my closest friends in the universe wanted to come along for the day and see what the fuss was about (shame I never managed to persuade one of my other good friends to come along too <D). But we ended up in pubs more than owt else as she didn't really enjoy it that much. 5 days later I was off and about again though, this time on a return trip to the Netherlands. Having been unable to sort out an OV-chipkaart at the time, the idea of cruising all around the Netherlands to have a massive clearout of required track was out of the window. However I ended up doing a different trip with me ending up going to three different countries! I had another 180 Spin 'n' Lose on 24th April too.

May

May kicked off on the 8th with a random trip to Droitwich before work on which a winner 172 was got. 17th and 18th May there was a massive spree in London which resulted in a lot of winners and required shacks, with the trip back on the 19th resulting in finally scoring Metropolitan Curve en-route to Charing Cross :D 27th May then saw me off again (I don't know how I managed to afford anything this year!), this time to Ireland with the same friend I went on the WMDR on 8th April with, acting this time as tour guide as she'd never been to Ireland or on a plane on her own. Fortunately I managed to get a few days where some trains were enjoyed, although due to my card having been cloned a few days before the trip (without my knowledge until trying to pay for the hotel in Cork) I had to sacrifice the train back to Dublin and the Cork area part of the trip. So May ended pretty badly to be honest!

June

2nd June I was back from my trip to Ireland, and as she'll never read this I can say that I was immensely glad to part ways with my friend when she alighted at Ledbury! Particularly since she really wound me up in the airport and then again as we were walking through the station after landing. Still, we both survived and her nan was amazed we didn't both kill each other! :lol: June improved with a family holiday in Dorset which also featured some trains, which only produced one winner 444 to my disappointment.

July

Yes, that was it for June! Nothing happened from 20th June until 28th July, and that was a seriously tough time at work in that period. A last minute big bash was planned a couple of days before and it was off to West Yorkshire for a bleedin' good bash to revitalise myself somewhat after everything. A good few winners and plenty of winner shacks, as well as meeting up with 4SRKT for a social few drinks, I went home on the 30th of July much happier than I had been. Much more skint than I was a few days beforehand but hey!

August

12th August was a Daytripper bash this time, and I spent pretty much all day (once I got to Birmingham) on the Snow Hill lines until it was time for the train home. However it did do my NREA a lot of good with the 172s and to a limited extent the 168s. Finally some luck with the 180s resulted in getting winner 180102 as well, just 108 to get eventually! Sadly that was it for August, so without consulting my diary I'd guess it was another heavy time at work :(

September

Ah yes, the big month for me! A couple of days with some trains were had during a second family holiday in Dorset, then after that it was the big 10 year rail enthusiasm bash in Strathclyde, which produced far less winners than expected but a lot of mileage and a good few shacks too so still good. That was it apparently for September, maybe I spent the rest of the month skint? :(

October

Oh yes, the trip had been intended to be a day to clear the Metrolink network finally, however the call to the mainline was way too strong to refuse, so on 21st October I did another Greater Manchester Rail Ranger bash. Many, many leaps to/from Stockport and a great day of winners. I also ended up bumping into a forum member, knolife, by chance and it was thanks to him that I ended up finding my Travelodge in Altrincham as I'd not wrote down directions! 23rd October, the day after I got back from the brilliant trip up north, due to politics at work I ended up getting sent home so I got on Twitter to see what was running that I wanted. No 150 that day after it failed, but I did scoop one of my last two LM 172s out of Hereford on a weekday, not exactly a regular opportunity that! Off to Worcester it was to pick up another winner thanks again to Twitter and the very helpful teams at LM and FGW :D

November

3rd to 5th November, it was off to Waterford as I was desperate for another trip away. Waterford airport was required, and I wanted to get my last mainline track in Ireland done, the Kilkenny avoider. Only done once a day, weekdays only, with the 0710 from Waterford to Dublin Heuston. So it was off to Ireland again, in happier circumstances this time and on my own which was just fine. Heading into town, I ended up finally, finally, seeing my last Red Line tram, 3017 which really made my day! The third WMDR of the day was up next on 18th November, and it was another day where I was using Twitter to its maximum advantage. Sadly 3 of the key trains I wanted to be out were not that day, but I did finally get down to my last 168 to go, just 168003 to get now :D I gave up with the Snow Hill lines after that and had some much better luck on the Wolves to Rugby corridor. The day went far too quickly still, before I knew it I was going home :( Nevertheless, the trip revitalised me well and got me back to me :)

December highlights will come along soon enough :)

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

TheJRB

Established Member
Well it's now officially December, so for the last 31 days of the year let's summarise the best bits of 2013 :) For this first post, I'm looking at my RailMiles page, my next post will be done whilst going through my notebook for any other highlights.
That's a nice idea, I'll do my best for mine.

17th and 18th May there was a massive spree in London which resulted in a lot of winners and required shacks, with the trip back on the 19th resulting in finally scoring Metropolitan Curve en-route to Charing Cross :D
Grr... <D That's one stretch of line (Minster curve as well) I've been meaning to get around to at some point!

Here's mine:

January
The 12th was the first trip out my granfather and I had. A Travelcard day out in London with the aim of covering the Tattenham, Caterham and Epsom Downs branch lines. All were done with relative ease and getting a train home half an hour earlier than planned actually finished the day off nicely. The 23rd saw another trip out, this time to Basingstoke (where my dad was working at the time). I'll never forget the massive lumps of ice falling off the station roof at Basingstoke. A quick dash up the Reading line in falling snow to cover that and spend a little time there provided me with what was almost the coldest I've ever been!

February
A family meetup at St Pancras was arranged on the 9th and we even dragged my nan up to Alexanda Palace (on my first 313) for fifteen minutes of spotting! We had a nice meal at Prezzo in King's Cross and met up with my great-aunt and uncle and their daughter. All in all, a non-rail specific but rail included great day out. Next came the 16th with (I think) my longest single rail trip to date. We left Ashford on the 07:43, Euston on the 10:07 and visited Liverpool Lime Street, went across to Manchester Piccadilly via Newton-le-Willows and returned to London via Crewe. It felt quite something rattling away on a 150 at top speed on the fast Manchester Airport run!

March
March's first train trip was the 9th with a trip to cover Hayes and a couple of the Dartford lines. We went up to Victoria via Maidstone, out to Lewisham and Hayes, to London Bridge (where we made a ridiculously tight two minute change from platform 6 to 4), out to Dartford via Bexleyheath, back via Greenwich and spent the rest of the day covering the High Barnet and Mill Hill East branches of the Northern line. A trip out on the 16th with my grandparents to visit a different great-aunt and uncle in Crowthorne meant a ride out to Wokingham via Tonbridge and Redhill and a journey back via Paddington and St Pancras. The month finished on a high on the 30th with a round tour of London. Out to Clapham to see the FGW diversions and all the way around the (using the recently opened stretch of the Overground) to Highbury where we had lunch in a favourite Italian cafe of ours. Then out to Enfield Town and returning via Cheshunt, Stratford and Victoria. Plenty of odd little bits of track covered that day (Orpington-Bickley via the fast line, Beckenham Jn-New Beckenham, Queens Road Peckham-Surrey Quays and Tottenham Hale-Stratford).

April
I decided against going out on the train so I could concentrate on my studying.

May
The 15th saw a little outing to Tonbridge with an excursion to Charing once back at Ashford to see a 66 at Hothfield. It was out to Didcot on 25th for the railway centre's diesel gala. What a great event it was too in some fine weather! We also used the opportunity to travel on the Bicester Town branch which was even more remote than I was expecting. There was freight everywhere that day though! A trip to Chesterfield was taken on the 29th (although via Tonbridge because of the advance tickets) in anticipation of seeing a few freight movements. We made a bit of a strange detour in London though. We went into Cannon Street, just missed a Circle line train and diverted via Aldgate East instead! In the end there was only one freight at Chesterfield (and that was in drizzle as well!). Returning back in a nice comfy warm Northern 158 to Nottingham and then making a speedy trip back up the Midland Main Line on an HST pretty much made up for it though!

June
The third and final part of the "how much is possible in a week from Ashford" saga, was on the 1st with a trip up to Manchester via Stoke-on-Trent (new track for me). We spent a while at Piccadilly before heading to Victoria to seek out a Pacer ride. We got one from Salford Crescent to Bolton and it was just as horrible as expected! <D Standing all the way back from Bolton to Piccadilly wasn't too pleasant, but I sort of expected it with train having come from Scotland. A pair of EMT 158s took us across the Hope Valley on a beautiful run across to Sheffield for our eventual onward journey home via the Midland Main Line. The 12th saw a brief excursion down to Folkestone to see what was at Dollands Moor (not a lot is the answer!). The 15th heralded perhaps our best trip to date with the diesel gala at the North Norfolk Railway. Up to Norwich via Stratford and on to Sheringham, the journey was easy and we had a lovely time at the railway. Once back at Norwich we went out to Great Yarmouth behind 47818 via Acle and returned on 156418 (still in CT livery at the time) via Reedham. We had to change at Colchester but didn't make the connection on our advance so we jumped on the 17:43 back to Stratford and nobody checked anyway! Finally on the 26th we travelled up to Cambridge via the WAML, spent a while there and returned via Peterborough into King's Cross.

July
Another London trip was had on the 10th. We spent a while at Barking, travelled the Northern City branch from Moorgate and returned via Clapham Junction, Redhill and Tonbridge. On the 17th we had another "Not Via HS1" advance, this time to Cardiff. I almost lost my grandfather but we had what I still consider to be my favourite all time journey. We had first class advances and I ordered the "Great Westerner" breakfast from the Travelling Chef. Honestly, traveling through Berkshire and Oxfordshire with a delicious breakfast in first class and in fine weather is certainly hard to beat. It was so hot that, one in Cardiff, you couldn't stand in the sun for more than about a minute or two at a time. Travelling out to Cardiff Bay via Queen Street on seriously hot Pacers and a Sprinter wasn't overly comfortable but it was a fun day out. Needless to say, the once a day Networker service from Charing Cross to Ashford wasn't most welcome in the baking hot sun (I overheard the drivers comment on changing drivers at Sevenoaks "they don't care if we boil"!). The 27th was host to a lovely local trip to the East Kent Railway and on the 31st we made a failed attempt to see the first couple of 377/6s on tests at Gatwick.

August
A trip to the Spa Valley Railway on the 3rd almost failed completely due to some sort of incident on the line. Our return trip from Eridge to Tunbridge Wells West took 54 minutes! My first ride behind a 67 was on the 14th with a great value Ashford-Birmingham via High Wycombe return ticket. A bit of the Midland Metro covered and some new trains seen and travelled on made for a good day. Summer Fever took hold on the 26th with a trip to Lymington via Guildford and Portsmouth and back via the main line (not to mention the diverted trip to Waterloo East via Maidstone East and Chislehurst). Another very comfortable trip on a 444 with the weekend first upgrade rounded it off well.

September
We took another Travelcard trip on the 18th with an hour at Stratford before heading to West Hampstead (surprisingly good spot for photos of Chiltern and LU stock) and Gospel Oak with a diversion via the East London Line and DLR to Poplar (spectacular view of the Docklands there) and back to Stratford and then home. Barrow Hill Live! on 28th saw us head back to Chesterfield except this time with more to see! Lots of lovely preserved locos on display there and a small trip out to Sheffield provided both good photos and sightings (first time I've seen 950001).

October
An arranged tour of Etches Park (along with a three mile walk!) took us to Derby on the 1st except once again, the tickets forced us via London Bridge. Back to London on the 9th with the Chingford branch and Wembley Central-Shepherd's Bush crossed off. Two local trips on the 19th to Canterbury (just for a day out in the town) and the 30th to Tonbridge finished the month off.

November
Looking for a cheap day out, we got a return to Haywards Heath via "Edenbridge/Polegate" and took the extended Marshlink service (for the Rye bonfire) to Hastings, continued on to a brief look at Lewes and up to Haywards Heath. Noting the 456s in the siding there, we returned via Gatwick, Redhill and Tonbridge. Another arranged trip on the 16th, this time to Wolverton took us up the West Coast Main Line exceptionally quickly. I didn't realise it was quite possible to get from Ashford to Milton Keynes in 1 hour 28 minutes! Sadly, the passing away of my great-uncle at the end of October called us back out to Crowthorne on the 20th. Arriving at Tonbridge seven minutes late was the tip of the iceberg, the Redhill train was 11 minutes late and the situation on the Brighton Main Line meant the 10:13 Reading service didn't leave until 10:37. Another five minutes stuck outside Reigate made things a bit more tense. We were then chucked off at Guildford and caught the stopper to Crowthorne where I phoned ahead and arranged for a cab to pick us up. Coming back was okay minus the once a day Networker service developing a wheel flat between Tonbridge and Paddock Wood which meant the driver didn't exceed 45mph all the way back!

Afraid I can't leave it on a more cheerful note but there's still this month to go with at least one or two trips to London plus a local trip to Canterbury. Sorry for the essay by the way, it doesn't really mean much to anybody but me anyway but at least I've got a good record now!

Techniquest

Veteran Member
Lol, nay worries about the essay, mine was quite long too!

Sounds like you've had a year of good trips, although shame there had to be a trip for a passing away. Been on two trips in the past for funerals, not a fun time! Hope 2013 ends well for you, I don't have much lined up for December but planning to make a couple of little trips at least.

I'll be back on this thread soon with a post of statistics for 2013, well for January to November at least. A final stats and summary post will come at the end of the year.

craig87034

For Me

January

Trip to Scotland will never forget festering at Altnabrec with 2 foot of snow on the platform! and the 158 shutting down on departure

http://www.flickr.com/photos/craig87034/8420051710/in/set-72157632515259502

67029's Flying return to Chiltern was fun as well

http://www.flickr.com/photos/craig87034/8377955238/in/set-72157632515259502

February

Didn't really do much but got to but dispite the lack of heat 'in sterage' 67005 on UKRT's 'The Welsh Marches Panorama' 1Z67 0730 Stevenage-Hereford which went via the North London Line & The Great Western Mainline via Newport Avoiding line/ 1Z69 1524 Hereford-Stevenage which went via Grestly Lane Junction,Basford Hall Junction,Northampton & Primrose Hill was a good day out and big track for the class

http://www.flickr.com/photos/craig87034/8525782678/in/set-72157632759332280

March

A choice between 67001 on the WAG Set footex for Wrexham's FA Trophy Final Win

http://www.flickr.com/photos/craig87034/8586849328/in/set-72157633019334396/

& 67024 throughout Newcastle-Kings x Via Sunderland

http://www.flickr.com/photos/craig87034/8564787003/in/set-72157633019334396

April
Another quiet month for me but got to be my revist to Shrewsbury with 67023 on UKRT's 'Historic Shrewsbury or Welshpool & Llanfair Railway' 1Z07 0712 Letchworth-Shrewsbury (via Camdon Road,Northampton,Stechford & Bescot)

http://www.flickr.com/photos/craig87034/8688621972/in/set-72157633216231768

May

Without a doubt the Western Weekend at the Severn Valley

http://www.flickr.com/photos/craig87034/8717558435/in/set-72157633443448572

Also 67026 on the Cobbler was a good little move for me

http://www.flickr.com/photos/craig87034/8828961904/in/set-72157633443448572

June

Not sure was more of the normal routine

July http://www.flickr.com/photos/craig87034/sets/72157634754385758/

My week of work

Thrus 1107
67005 on UKRT's Jointliner

Fri 1207
Day out on Chilterns

Sat 1307
Get extremely hot on UKRT's 'The Thomas Hardy Expresss' with 67019

Sun 1407
1S25 to Inverness

Monday 1507
1M16 Inverness-Euston

Tues 1607
Northbound WAG

Wed 1707
Soutbound WAG

August

67025 coming to chiltern

http://www.flickr.com/photos/craig87034/9558371196/in/set-72157635156735431

UKRT'S 'The Marcher Lord' Letchworth-Chester with 67028 & 019

http://www.flickr.com/photos/craig87034/9558342232/in/set-72157635156735431

September http://www.flickr.com/photos/craig87034/sets/72157635891274295/

No If buts or Maybe's Champions return

http://www.flickr.com/photos/craig87034/9938903666/in/set-72157635891274295

Also Epping and Ogar Diesel gala was good

October

More of the normal bashing routine for me but 'That Big Red Machine' 67018 returning to where she belongs

http://www.flickr.com/photos/craig87034/10642524264/in/set-72157636808064286

November

More of the same everyday normal bashing moves but i did enjoy 50015 on a Summerseat-Bury via Heywood last weekend before going to Gigg Lane for the mighty Wombles

http://www.flickr.com/photos/craig87034/11026530365/in/set-72157637705711575

December

We've only opened 1 gate of our advent calenders let see what it brings!

yorksrob

Veteran Member
For me, highlights include the HDL Thumper tour to Weymouth - Beautiful harbour and well worth a visit (even if you can't go on the thumper).

Travelling up the ECML (and on to Yarmouth) in a mk1 compartment (never thought I'd get to do that).

Getting a lift from a late finishing rugby match in Cumbria, and against all odds making it to St Bees in time for my last possible train back to Leeds (think Top Gear stuff) and being treated to a very dramatic storm at sea in the Sellafield area to boot !

Chester025

January

A quiet month but having 67010 back in service was nice even if it did collapse on me! :lol:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/chester025/sets/72157632429125803/

February

Highlight has to be 67029 working on the WAG for several days. 67020 via Sunderland was a nice 'claw back' for 'Skip track'.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/chester025/sets/72157632663325939/

March

A rare trip to Birmingham on the 'Banbury set' with 67017.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/chester025/sets/72157632904059187/

April

D9009 to Edinburgh & 67029 to Weymouth on tours

http://www.flickr.com/photos/chester025/sets/72157633169703371/

May

A quiet month for trains, but a quick blast on 67026 Euston - Northampton had to be done

http://www.flickr.com/photos/chester025/sets/72157633404131807/

June

A busy month involving 67023 joining Chiltern on the Banbury turn, 67005 & 67022 on joint line drags and a scoop in the form of 37602 amongst the usual stuff

http://www.flickr.com/photos/chester025/sets/72157633974344301/

July

Highlight of course being an 8 day visit to Germany, 67023 to Stratford was extremely rateable too

Germany: http://www.flickr.com/photos/chester025/sets/72157634632462599/

UK: http://www.flickr.com/photos/chester025/sets/72157634697418870/

August

A very busy month with lots of 67-er mileage all over, highlight though has to be the completely ludicrous use of 37s on the Crewe - Derbys and the return to use of D1015 on the mainline

http://www.flickr.com/photos/chester025/sets/72157634963284846/

September

A visit to Fort Bill & Inverness on the sleeper along with a tour to Carlisle with D1015

http://www.flickr.com/photos/chester025/sets/72157635539692051/

October

As Mr Ross has stated, seeing 67018 back where it belongs

http://www.flickr.com/photos/chester025/sets/72157637064797633/

November

Seeing 40145 back in service after 3 years out of use

http://www.flickr.com/photos/chester025/sets/72157637280253185/

December

67008 in use with Chiltern

http://www.flickr.com/photos/chester025/sets/72157638449881316/

Last edited:

trentside

Established Member
Fares Advisor
I must admit, I don't have true highlights for each month, but I'll try to offer something.

January
My favourite trip was one to cover a lot of new territory in the TfL area on 02/02/13 - mainly on Southeastern. It was the first time I'd travelled on the loop services via Slade Green, which was something of an eye opener (passengers running away from the BTP, hiding in the toilets etc.) and the planning lead me to discovering the Bromley North branch, something I'd not found on the maps before (shockingly!). From discovering it to clearing it in less than 24 hours.

February
My one and only trip was a Coast & Peaks 4 in 8 rover, that I used for 3 days. Cleared all of North Wales and most of Cheshire and the Wirral thanks to this ticket. Highlight has to be the trip up to Blaenau Ffestiniog and back, great scenery seen from 150254, with a great guard and (almost) ok weather. Also involved my first ever journeys with Merseyrail - just need the Ellesmere Port branch to finish of the Wirral (thanks to a late running Northern!).

March
Nothing too special - but did a Southern Daysave plus cleared Hastings to Tonbridge on Southeastern. Not nearly as much fun as my Daysave of last year, but was let down by the weather this time.

April
Really not much! Cleared Huddersfield to Barnsley via Penistone - one of my last routes to do in the Yorkshire region.

May
A trip out cleared Waterloo - Reading and Reading - Redhill. The highlight was meeting a very nice girl on the 458 out of Waterloo, she started talking to me after I tipped the SWT RPIs off to a guy hiding in the toilet. Sadly he got away :lol:

June
A very busy month for me, but the highlights were a visit to the Valley Lines in South Wales - a day encompassing 20 trains and some fantastic scenery. The next day involved the whole trip from Swansea to Shrewsbury via the Heart of Wales line, luckily on 150242 instead of a 153, but sadly the weather didn't hold out and most of the journey was spent with rain beating against the windows. Another highlight in June was doing the TPE services that briefly ran via Brigg on Saturdays during the Hatfield landslip.

July
One of my worst experiences this month - taking a spur of the moment trip to London on one of the hottest days of the summer, and spending most of that on boiling hot 455s. Still and interesting day out, but not on a par with my North East Rover which cleared everything I had outstanding in the North East and allowed me to re-visit the Tyne Valley and Settle & Carlisle. The glorious weather really made this rover one the best things I've done this year.

August
This month encompassed my first visit to the Manchester Metrolink including taking in the full journey from East Didsbury to Rochdale Railway Station. I also had another successful trip with a Travelcard, largely finishing off London Overground (just New Cross left to do!) and finally re-visited Epsom Downs in the light which had been outstanding since December 2012.

-----------

I'm going to leave it here, as my trips really drop off after this point but I've since had an enjoyable visit to the Swanage Railway and the Isle of Purbeck and cleared Knottingley to Goole.

jnjkerbin

January
First journey was on the 3rd heading up to London on the 1114 to head for, it appears, Oxford Street (don't know why!) Another day out in London scratched off a few new lines a couple of new units as well as later in the month my last 465/9. 594m 67ch

February
Two more days in London (neither of which I can remember, although they appear to have been with family as well as a one way trip back from the West Country, but nothing else particularly remarkable. 656m 58ch

March
Another trip to London (this one I can remember) which involved a fair bit of new DLR track as well as a visit to the Bluebell Railway for their East Grinstead opening which scratched off South Croydon to Sheffield Park. 730m 28ch

April
A quiet month but I did do the Melksham line and Westbury to Waterloo on an HST :) 712m 12ch

May
Another quiet month but did head to London for the Steam on the Met event 551m 8ch

June
A big, big London day and a trip on the Heart of Wessex line gave quite a high mileage of 638m 63ch

July
A great month with a holiday and a visit to grandparents gave what will be the biggest mileage of the year - 1247m 20ch

August
Not too bad either with a trip to Cambridge and a day on the SpVR. 677m 59 ch

September
Lowest month since I began recording this stuff. 522m 39ch.

October
Very nearly as bad as September with just one appointment in London saving me from having an even lower month. 538m 16ch

November
Only slightly better than October with two appointments in London adding to the commuting mileage bringing us to 588m 62ch

December
Looking to be ther best month since July with a couple of trips planned. Current mileage 35m 79ch Estimated final mileage: about 825ish.

Galvanize

Haven't been on as many trips as I would of liked, due to work commitments, but been quite fortunate this year, so here are some of my highlights!

January
Biggest highlight of the month was chasing and part faring Pathfinder Tours's "Buffer Puffer 10" tour around London on the 26th. It brought back a few memories from 2006 and 2007 in particular, when I used to do many trips round London on a Travelcard, photting and chasing interesting workings. Although it was a pretty cold day, at least it was quite clear and there was still the odd bits of snow on the ground from the flurries earlier in the week.

The tour employed DRS's Class 20s 308 and 312, plus Class 37/4 409, and I saw the tour at Haydons Road (narrowly avoided getting bowled there by a Class 319!), Imperial Wharf (heading north with 20s leading), London Fields and Liverpool Street. Me and a friend then took the opportunity to do a spin to Chingford and back behind 37409 one way, and 20312 (running bonnet first!!) the other way. 20308 was left behind at Liverpool Street due to weight restrictions on the Chingford branch. The best thrash was from 20312 powering away from a signal check at Hackney Downs, the driver opened right up as we passed through the station!!

After doing that part fare (£25 return from Liverpool Street to Chingford and back, if you do the maths, that near enough equates to £1 per mile.), I saw the tour again from Pudding Mill Lane DLR station with 37409 leading. Sadly, as me and my mates were heading to White Hart Lane to see it on the return from Enfield Town, we got held at a signal check, only to see the ensemble thundering past!! :( In the fading light, we saw the tour at Hackney Wick, and finally, at Harrow and Wealdstone thrashing up the WCML.

February
This was a pretty barren month, only real highlights being:
*Trip to Birmingham on a Class 67 hauled set.
*Class 207 Thumper DEMU 1317 on a mid week running day at the Spa Valley.

March
March began with an impromptu trip to the Ecclesbourne Valley Railway's diesel day on Saturday March 2nd. This day was blessed with some beautiful spring sunshine in the gateway to the peak district. I was very impressed with the Ecclesbourne Valley Railway, it was my first visit, and certainly not my last visit, the scenary was good, the staff were very friendly and welcoming, and there was some great thrash to be had from the locos! Although it was supposed to be just the Class 31 out on the Saturday, the loco developed a fault so for one trip, the resident Class 33 substituted, making easy work of the 3 car DMU it was hauling up and down the line.

Had I of stuck to my plans, I would of just done one full round trip on the line, and then headed upto Matlock to clear the branch and also to visit Peak Rail for a trip behind 31270. This plan was quickly scuppered when alighting at Duffield, I found that the 14:57 EMT service to Matlock was delayed by over 20 minutes, which would of missed the connection onto the last round trip at Peak Rail. Oh well, never mind, more action at the Ecclesbourne then!!

One of the lowlights on the return from the Ecclesbourne was getting a single car Class 153 on the 17:05 to Nottingham, which was absolutely full and standing!! I stayed on the 153 all the way to Nottingham (luckily, the unit emptied out a bit at Derby), as we left Derby, I saw a PAIR of Class 156s being used on a BLS tour around the various East Midlands Trains depots and sidings in the area!!! Caught the 18:28 back to London, which was a HST set, so that was a good way to round off a fantastic trip.

Highlights of April May and June to follow later on!

IanD

Established Member
Highlights for me:

February I went on my first steam railtour (or railtour of any kind!) on the Cumbrian Mountain Express. Lots of snow on the fells, well worth the price (and subsidised by my works social club too!). And new track from Hellifield to Blackburn.

June I finally got to Stranraer (or did I? Must remember to write up the rest of the trip report and reveal the answer!).

August I had a couple of weeks of non-stop rail travel whilst house sitting in London. Had a trip to Bridlington via Hull and back via Scarborough and Leeds. Next day, Peterborough and the Nene Valley Railway then across to Norwich and Yarmouth back to Liverpool Street. Then a day pottering around the routes to Gravesend and a couple of London branches. Next day was the start of 3 days travelling around Kent visiting the East Kent Railway (what a farce - it was shut, bunch of amateurs!), Spa Valley Railway and The Sittingbourne and Kemsley. Another day on some London routes. Then a 3 day Thames Rover with an add on ticket to get to Worcester and back.

October Haversham's birthday event at Chinnor.

I've done naff all since then.

Galvanize

April
Highlight of April had to be a trip to the Bristol and Bath area on Saturday 13th. The main reason for the trip was to visit the Avon Valley Railway's diesel gala in the morning and then do various things in Bristol in the afternoon. Trip started with a rather busy HST from London Paddington to Bath, my carriage seemed to be packed full of EDL supporters heading to a rally in Plymouth, the TM threatened to chuck some of them off at Swindon for causing a nuisance to passengers! At Bath, got a FGW Class 150 for two stops to Keynsham, followed by a 20 minute walk along a main road, to Bitton station. I think there was a Class 07 in action, along with a Ruston shunter, resident Class 31 31130, plus visiting Class 14 D9521 from the Dean Forest Railway, along with a Class 107 DMU.

As it was quite a cold miserable day, me and my friend both decided that once we rode on everything, should make a move and head to Bristol for lunch. So after a 20 minute walk in the wet (it started tipping it down with rain at this point!), we got a 158 into Bristol Temple Meads, then went for lunch at the nearby Wetherspoons. The main aim while in Bristol was to see some class 47s on a NENTA tour returning from Cardiff to Norwich via Bristol, but we still had a bit of time to kill. I suggested a trip to Severn Beach, purely because I'd never travelled there before, so we got on a 150/1 unit to Severn Beach and back...certainly seemed interesting running through the industrial landscapes near Avonmouth though. Arriving back in Bristol, I bumped into an ex colleague who used to be a conductor with my TOC, and has since gone driving with another one, so that was quite a surprise to see him in Bristol!

So after that, we jumped on yet another 150 for a short trip to Filton Abbey Wood, where we saw 47826 and 854 top and tailing the aforementioned NENTA tour from Cardiff back to Norwich. We also saw a pair of Freightliner 66s running light through the station, before jumping on a Class 158 for the short run back to Bristol.
To my surprise, were able to get a part fare on the 47 hauled tour back to Stratford, so it was great to travel back in style, detouring via Westbury, Salisbury, Woking, Virginia Water, Hounslow and the NLL back into London! What a great way to end the day. :D

Other trips in April:
*East Kent Railway's £1 running day 21/04/13, one of several visits to this delightful up and coming preserved line in the South East of England.
*Mid Hants Railway diesel gala on the 28th April. Not too bad return to diesel galas, featured the line's resident Class 37 and 50, along with visitors in the shape of a Class 20, 33/1, 37/9, 47, Deltic and 66, in addition to the Blue 4VEP 3417 and the resident Class 205 Thumper unit.

May
Biggest highlight of May had to be...the Swanage Diesel gala! Too many things to say about it, so I'll summerise it.
*33/1s running in push pull mode with the 4VEP unit!
*London Underground Class 20s 189 and 227 making for some loud runs along the line.
*Smart EWS liveried 31466 and tatty EWS liveried 37521.
*37521 on that Saturday evening beerex!!!
*Meeting so many people that I know, and having lots and lots of Cider!
*The weather could of been better though, while it was sunny for the majority of the time, there was a really cold wind, and I think it did rain a little bit as well.

The other May highlight was:
UK Railtours HST to the Mid Norfolk Railway on the 18th.

IanD

Established Member
*East Kent Railway's £1 running day 21/04/13, one of several visits to this delightful up and coming preserved line in the South East of England.

I'll have to take your word for it. It took a lot of planning for me to get there only to find it shut. As there are no advance fares on SouthEastern, and I've covered the rest of Kent, it will be a long, long time before I bother with that outfit again. There seemed to be a bit of infighting between the various groups as to why it was closed which is not what visitors really want to see. Quite a few disappointed people that day. First impressions last and all that. But with only an hourly mainline service on a Friday I had no option but to pass the time (and spend my money) in the delightful Bricklayers Arms in Shepherdswell instead.

Status
Not open for further replies.