• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

You're maybe going to hate me: reported driver using a mobile

Status
Not open for further replies.

jon0844

Veteran Member
I know I'm not going to be popular (I already had a nasty Tweet earlier today) because today I reported a driver using his mobile phone while driving. I recognised the make and model immediately.

As I was waiting at the stop board, with my son waving to the driver as he slowed, the train passed as it stopped and I saw he was talking on the phone as clear as day.

NO chance of mistaking it for anything else. The camera lens and LED lamp positioning made it quite obvious it was a) a mobile and b) what phone it was. Even the textured back told me exactly what model it was.

I paused for thought but then decided, sorry, that's not right. So I Tweeted the train company and reported it/him. I did NOT post any detail in the tweet, but have since given details privately.

Someone has said to me they hope I'm happy that someone is probably going to be out a job, calling me a grass etc, but I feel I did the right thing. I'd also hope that most drivers would back me too, unless there can ever be a valid excuse for using a phone? And if there is, the driver has nothing to fear anyway.

At this point, it's in the hands of the TOC. I won't be revealing the details on here and have no reason to be told the outcome of any investigation. I have not called for him to be sacked or anything, but I didn't think I should turn a blind eye.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

cf111

Established Member
I'm not going to comment beyond asking why you feel the need to publicise what you've done, especially knowing the reaction you will receive.

Whenever I've needed to contact a company ( any company) regarding something negative about them or their staff I've done so through non public channels. The occasions I've done so you could count on the fingers of one hand by the way.

The Planner

Veteran Member
Whatever you did is your decision, but not sure why you would stick it on a forum?

jon0844

Veteran Member
I would like to discuss what people think. I'm big enough to cope with people saying 'grass' and 'hope you can sleep at night'. Was it wrong?

Someone said that nothing bad happened, implying I should have done nothing. Perhaps other people would have done nothing and pretended they didn't notice.

It does worry me that any driver would have the audacity to do it, making it possible to wonder what else he would do that's against the rules. Or maybe not.

Hence why I feel comfortable to post on a forum that I've been on for many years.

Absolutely no information posted public would identify the driver, train or location.

chubs

I'm not going to comment beyond asking why you feel the need to publicise what you've done, especially knowing the reaction you will receive.

My first thought too, coming here to brag about it seems bizarre :roll:

GearJammer

Whatever you did is your decision, but not sure why you would stick it on a forum?

Attention seeking? Lets face it, there is no other reason.

Lets just hope the OP receives what he dishes out some time soon.

And yes the word 'grass' did spring to mind, along with a few other things.

jon0844

Veteran Member
Attention and an attempt to be on the moral high horse.

Don't feed the troll.
Wow. I think it's clear what people think then. Three posts all telling me to keep quiet. I suspect the answer is that I'm seen as a nasty grass and should have kept quiet.

If it's so bad then maybe a mod should delete this thread. Feel free to report it if you simply think I'm attention seeking.

I guess I'll be accused of lying next?

najaB

Veteran Member
I would like to discuss what people think. I'm big enough to cope with people saying 'grass' and 'hope you can sleep at night'. Was it wrong?
I'm not going to get into the 'why post it on a forum' discussion. As to if it was wrong - how would you feel if you hadn't said anything and it turned out that the driver was involved in an incident later on? That should give you your answer.

rmt4ever

Of course the OP must know that there is a VERY VERY high chance that someone on here knows the driver at the depot concerned..

The OP will probably get some sick thrill out of knowing that the driver concerned will get to find out that it was someone on this forum who reported him, then came online to bragg about it.

The OP is also I imagine jealous of someone who has a decent job well paid with good holidays and a good TU to look after them. They will probably get a giddy thrill knowing they have jeopardised said persons career..

Well done OP.

DaleCooper

Established Member
There's no shame in doing the right thing and if telling others about it helps them decide on the correct course of action, and the courage to do it in similar circumstances, then perhaps it's a good thing. I sense a outbreak of "don't be a sneak" here.

FordFocus

What were you expecting the responses to be?

'Well done'
'You grass'
'What train was it?'

You've reported it, what more must be said?

DarloRich

Veteran Member
...and spelling aggrandising incorrectly.

On mobile so noo speel check and no I don't need a thesaurus to belitte you it just means I don't get banned.

I note you don't answer the point - you could very easily have created an interesting discussion by being non specific about the incident

jon0844

Veteran Member
I'm not here for a fight. I had to consider the implications and that's why I wanted to start a discussion.

I decided to do what I did because I thought it right, but was aware of the possible consequences. Not that I revealed anything in public or demanded his head on a stake.

How someone can think I'm expecting someone on here to know the person so I can gloat is absolutely insane.

I've never felt the 'them and us' thing that some members have complained of.

Until now.

I feel sad that everyone has rounded on Mr, especially as it implies that such incidents should be tolerated.

driver_m

Established Member
A lot of us who work in the cab no longer trust people on the platforms and those hovering about because of the actions you've described. I don't take any of you on, I see you all as a potential career ruiner. Now there are a lot of people who care about the railway, the industry and its people like you who are building up this distrust. You may think you've done one little bit of good, but trust me, you've done far more damage to the enthusiasts who come on here. It's these people who you should answer to.

jon0844

Veteran Member
On mobile so noo speel check and no I don't need a thesaurus to belitte you it just means I don't get banned.

I note you don't answer the point - you could very easily have created an interesting discussion by being non specific about the incident
What have I given away that reveals the driver? Or do you mean just a general 'if you saw... Would you?' thread?

What's the difference. It's clear I, and others, should mind their own business.

GrimsbyPacer

Established Member
The OP has done nothing wrong. Why should he be insulted like this?
Everyone has a right to report anything, and if the driver will lose his job it's the driver's fault for being on his mobile. If he was doing his job correctly there'll be nothing to fear. Reporting things is the only way to prevent standards from slipping. You never chose what happened after so you can't be blamed.

Red18

Three posts all telling me to keep quiet.

Just read this thread but I can't see anyone telling you to keep quiet.
You did what you thought was right and that's fair enough. No problem with that at all.

The fact that you've already tweeted about it and are now posting in a forum where it will be seen by many working in the industry is the thing that is being called into question here. I'm not sure what you expect people to say.

jon0844

Veteran Member
A lot of us who work in the cab no longer trust people on the platforms and those hovering about because of the actions you've described. I don't take any of you on, I see you all as a potential career ruiner. Now there are a lot of people who care about the railway, the industry and its people like you who are building up this distrust. You may think you've done one little bit of good, but trust me, you've done far more damage to the enthusiasts who come on here. It's these people who you should answer to.
I really don't think think the impact on enthusiasts is relevant here? You'd report them crossing the lines, stepping off the ramps onto the ballast wouldn't you? Same thing surely?

It's about right and wrong, not just mistrusting everyone (like some are now doing with every Muslim). I assume using a phone is wrong? If you saw another driver, what would you do?

beeza1

They will probably get a giddy thrill knowing they have jeopardised said persons career...

The only person who has, as you put it, "jeopardised said persons career" is "said person" himself!

HLE

Established Member
You did what you thought was right and that's fair enough. No problem with that at all.

The fact that you've already tweeted about it and are now posting in a forum where it will be seen by many working in the industry is the thing that is being called into question here. I'm not sure what you expect people to say.

This.

I'm unsure of the reasoning behind starting the thread in the first place - hardly going to receive plaudits or a well done.

Last edited:

The Planner

Veteran Member
I'm not here for a fight. I had to consider the implications and that's why I wanted to start a discussion.

I decided to do what I did because I thought it right, but was aware of the possible consequences. Not that I revealed anything in public or demanded his head on a stake.

<snip>

I feel sad that everyone has rounded on Mr, especially as it implies that such incidents should be tolerated.

I don't think that is the case at all. Personally my view is that whether you wanted to spark debate or discussion you were walking into a lions den with a fillet steak jacket on, you were bound to get mauled regardless of intentions.

TheEdge

Established Member

Who said that?

Using a mobile while driving, or even during dispatch, is verboten, all of us in the industry know that.

Report it if you want. Don't come onto a public forum full of railstaff shouting from the rooftops how you reported traincrew.

cf111

Established Member
I've never felt the 'them and us' thing that some members have complained of.

I don't work on the railway so my reaction doesn't come from that point of view.

For what it's worth, I wouldn't have reported this driver. I've no idea what the rules are on using mobiles in the cab are for a start - is it a total ban or are there circumstances in which it is acceptable?

jon0844

Veteran Member

But how will anyone know who it is from my post? Some can make assumptions and guess but nobody can know.

My Tweet, which didn't give detail and was deleted once they allowed me to direct message them, also gave no detail. It wouldn't even have given the time of the actual incident.

Status
Not open for further replies.