• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Zone 1-6 ticket 'works' in 7-9 stations

Status
Not open for further replies.

aa_10

I used a national rail ticket from High Wycombe to Zone 1-6 of the London Zones yesterday and I went to 7-9 stations (only Chalfont and Latimer and Rickmansworth) and I put my ticket onto the barrier and it let me enter the station and also I tried to exit the station and it worked. I was playing with it and it always opened.

Any ideas why it let me through only with 1-6 zone ticket? (is it because High Wycombe is in between zone 7-9 and zones 1-6?)

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

maniacmartin

Established Member
Fares Advisor
Barrier acceptance does not determine validity. The rules on ticket validity are very complex and the barriers' intelligence has its limitations, so they can allow invalid tickets and disallow valid ones.

aa_10

my ticket says between High Wycombe * and London Zones 1-6 , as Zones 7-9 is in between the origin (High Wycombe) and destination (Zones 1-6), does the barrier think I am in between these two stops ?

tractakid

Yet I have had an equivalent ticket from Watford Junction (Which DOES include Z7-9) and it didn't work the barriers outside of Z6!

aa_10

The only error I had was error 41- using the ticket more than 2 times in short period as I was playing with the barrier (in chalfont and latimer)

lightbulb

my ticket says between High Wycombe * and London Zones 1-6 , as Zones 7-9 is in between the origin (High Wycombe) and destination (Zones 1-6), does the barrier think I am in between these two stops ?

I shouldn't think so, as there are no Zones 7-9 stations on this route. West Ruislip is in Zone 6, and the next stop, Denham, is outside the zones altogther.

aa_10

I shouldn't think so, as there are no Zones 7-9 stations on this route. West Ruislip is in Zone 6, and the next stop, Denham, is outside the zones altogther.

Sorry, I meant the location of these stations, such as Chalfont and Latimer and Rickmansworth which is in between High Wycombe and London, which I thought the reason why the barrier opened.

lightbulb

Sorry, I meant the location of these stations, such as Chalfont and Latimer and Rickmansworth which is in between High Wycombe and London, which I thought the reason why the barrier opened.

I'm not sure what point you're making. Neither Chalfont & Latimer or Rickmansworth are between High Wycombe and London (at least not by rail), unless you're travelling via Aylesbury, which would be off-route.

Last edited:

aa_10

I'm not sure what point you're making. Neither Chalfont & Latimer or Rickmansworth are between High Wycombe and London (at least not by rail), unless you're travelling via Aylesbury, which would be off-route.

By the location on a actual map,

also could it be that a national rail ticket is more 'superior' than a LU Ticket when putting the ticket onto a LU station barrier ?

lightbulb

As far as I know, station barriers do not take account of geography, neither is there any hierarchy between NR and LU tickets.

bb21

Emeritus Moderator
Chances are the gate probably treated it as a valid break of journey.

PermitToTravel

Established Member
Station gates can't be described as "think"ing anything - there is a list of tickets for which they will open, and a list of tickets for which they will not. The lists are manually set at each station and are always set very approximately. Ticket gates do not determine validity or invalidity of a ticket.

Status
Not open for further replies.