• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Zone 6 Travelcard Validity between Slade Green / Barnehurst / Crayford

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dave91131

Hi,

I've noticed during a couple of recent journeys in and around London that there seems to be contradictory map information regarding whether one can legitimately travel between any 2 of the above 3 stations using a Zone 6 Travelcard.

Maps on numerous station platforms show the above stations and lines linking them to be wholly within zone 6, however on-train maps (specifically on South-Eastern units if memory serves me) show all 3 stations to be in zone 6 but the lines linking them to be outside zone 6 - suggesting a journey from say Crayford to Slade Green with a zone 6 Travelcard would be illegal as the train exits and then re-enters zone 6 between the stations.

Has anyone else noticed this anomaly / error? And can anybody shed light on what the correct situation is?

Many thanks in advance for any info.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

causton

Established Member
I would take the definitive version as TfL's version, which shows the lines as within the zones. I wonder if they have bothered to update the on-train maps to show Dartford as Zone 8?

BluePenguin

On Moderation
It depends on where you get on and off rather than what zones the train travels through.

For example the Southern service that runs between London Bridge and London Victoria travels from Zone 1 to Zone 1 via lots of stations up to Zone 5. However if you joined at a station in Zone 2 and got off at one in Zone 3, it would not matter if you had travelled through Zone 4 along the way. It is the same principle here

Having seen the maps I would say that you can travel as you please legitimately

bb21

Emeritus Moderator
It depends on where you get on and off rather than what zones the train travels through.

It depends on the zones you travel through, regardless of the stations called at en route.

For example the Southern service that runs between London Bridge and London Victoria travels from Zone 1 to Zone 1 via lots of stations up to Zone 5. However if you joined at a station in Zone 2 and got off at one in Zone 3, it would not matter if you had travelled through Zone 4 along the way. It is the same principle here

If you have a paper Zones 2-3 Travelcard (season), you will be liable for a Penalty Fare if checked in Zone 4.

If you have a Travelcard (season), you must touch in at the beginning of your journey and have sufficient PAYG balance to cover any excess fare into Zone 4, otherwise if checked in Zone 4 en route, you will also be liable for a Penalty Fare. (Whether the excess fare is deducted from the balance at the end of the journey is immaterial.)

If you travel on PAYG, you just need to ensure you touch in and out at the ends of the journey correctly, and have sufficient funds for your fare.

Having seen the maps I would say that you can travel as you please legitimately

In this case, the direct routes between the stations do not leave Zone 6, so there is no difference, and the OP can legitimately travel between them with his ticket.

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
I would take the definitive version as TfL's version, which shows the lines as within the zones. I wonder if they have bothered to update the on-train maps to show Dartford as Zone 8?
I went back through old maps in case the zone 6 boundary has changed, but even in May 2008 it was only the lines to Dartford that broke the zone 6 boundary as shown here:

http://www.projectmapping.co.uk/Reviews/Resources/Tube-DLR-Trams-Train-Map 30.pdf

It's highly likely that the on-train maps include errors especially when it comes to more recent updates, eg zone 8 etc, as no-one will have wanted to pay for any updates.

MikeWh

Established Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
Crayford - Barnehurst - Slade Green is definitely valid on a travelcard ending at zone 6. If your travelcard is on Oyster then it is also valid to interchange at Dartford, providing you touched in at the start of your journey. If you choose to leave the station at Dartford then you'd be charged a zone 7-8 extension fare.

Status
Not open for further replies.