• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Accessible railway footbridges - long ramps, zig-zags and lifts

Status
Not open for further replies.

Killingworth

Established Member
This thread prompted by a digression in the Hope Valley Capacity Scheme Updates thread, see; https://www.railforums.co.uk/threads/hope-valley-capacity-scheme-updates.168285/page-49

Over the last few decades the need to provide accessible access to platforms (and also for some footpaths), particularly at unmanned stations, has created some very ugly and obstructive structures. Others may look good when built but have failings when used. After 20+ years many have rusted very badly. Lifts may require a separate thread but currently they're the preferred option for busier stations.

For starters I'll introduce Ilkeston with sleek long ramps, ideal for skateboarders.

IMG_20200203_100850.jpg

Followed by Thorne South.

WP_20150728_15_45_01_Pro (2).jpg

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member
The alternative is Low Moor, which has lifts but no staff to assist if it breaks down, and no deterrent to ne'er-do-wells vandalising them.

ChrisC

Established Member
Still in Derbyshire and not too many miles away from both Dore and Ilkeston is Alfreton. I’ve heard that lifts are to be built at each end of the existing footbridge, which will be modified and retained. Local newspaper reports, a few months ago, suggested that this work was to begin in autumn of this year and be completed by spring 2024, but there are now rumours that it has been delayed again. I’ll believe it when I see it, as it has been promised since 2014!

It is an appalling situation, that at a fairly busy station, with a wide catchment area, that there is no disabled access whatsoever to the southbound platform. It isn‘t just a matter of there being no disabled access, the steps to the bridge are very steep and not really accessible to anyone with mobility issues. Lots of elderly people really struggle to cross the bridge to and from the southbound platform and the steepness of the steps make it unsafe for anyone with even minor mobility issues.

3RDGEN

Hatfield & Stainforth is the worse one I have seen as both platforms are islands so there are three ramp/step access points required, however the ramps are short so there are four ramp sections per access point in a zig zag format stacking on top of themselves. Northern have an 360 degree view on their website, "https://www.northernrailway.co.uk/stations/hatfield-stainforth" allowing you to view it in full.

Re lifts, both Selby and Bridlington are currently having lifts fitted to the original footbridges although in the case of Selby that has required significant changes to the overbridge section.

1697294155421.png

Killingworth

Established Member
Hatfield & Stainforth is the worse one I have seen as both platforms are islands so there are three ramp/step access points required, however the ramps are short so there are four ramp sections per access point in a zig zag format stacking on top of themselves. Northern have an 360 degree view on their website, "https://www.northernrailway.co.uk/stations/hatfield-stainforth" allowing you to view it in full.

Re lifts, both Selby and Bridlington are currently having lifts fitted to the original footbridges although in the case of Selby that has required significant changes to the overbridge section.

View attachment 144798

Hatfield and Stainforth is a shocker. That's a better picture than the one I was ready to post but it would have required 3 lifts in an area that might be susceptible to vandalism.

Still in Derbyshire and not too many miles away from both Dore and Ilkeston is Alfreton. I’ve heard that lifts are to be built at each end of the existing footbridge, which will be modified and retained. Local newspaper reports, a few months ago, suggested that this work was to begin in autumn of this year and be completed by spring 2024, but there are now rumours that it has been delayed again. I’ll believe it when I see it, as it has been promised since 2014!

It is an appalling situation, that at a fairly busy station, with a wide catchment area, that there is no disabled access whatsoever to the southbound platform. It isn‘t just a matter of there being no disabled access, the steps to the bridge are very steep and not really accessible to anyone with mobility issues. Lots of elderly people really struggle to cross the bridge to and from the southbound platform and the steepness of the steps make it unsafe for anyone with even minor mobility issues.

Lifts are coming to Alfreton in 2024 according to Network Rail, although it may be later in the year than suggested here, see; https://www.networkrailmediacentre.co.uk/news/alfreton-station-access-for-all-update

Last edited:

ChrisC

Established Member
Lifts are coming to Alfreton in 2024 according to Network Rail, although it may be later in the year than suggested here, see; https://www.networkrailmediacentre.co.uk/news/alfreton-station-access-for-all-update
That all looks very positive. I just hope that there isn’t too much further delay. According to Network Rail, disabled access to the southbound platform was going ahead in 2014 as part of the governments Access For All programme. A few weeks ago I got off a train at Alfreton, and even as a relatively mobile person found it hard work getting up those steps with a heavy case.

Pete_uk

Established Member
Well, at Stroud to get from platform 1 to 2 you have to leave the station and go down the short road, cross a busy one way street, turn left, cross another busy one way street at a junction, turn left, go under the railway and turn left across a busy road with a island then go up the road to the carpark to enter platform 2.

Our current MP is trying to get the footbridge which is a tatty mess replaced but who knows when?

Kite159

Veteran Member
I see to recall the bridge at Horden on the Durham Coast is something similar. The worse ones I find are the sort which only have ramps with no "shortcut" with stairs.

But for unstaffed stations, those bigger bridges are the better option, less chance of a lift breaking down, although can turn tatty after a few years of little or no maintaince
Well, at Stroud to get from platform 1 to 2 you have to leave the station and go down the short road, cross a busy one way street, turn left, cross another busy one way street at a junction, turn left, go under the railway and turn left across a busy road with a island then go up the road to the carpark to enter platform 2.

Our current MP is trying to get the footbridge which is a tatty mess replaced but who knows when?

At Overton if you want the step free route between platforms after buying a ticket from the TVM on the Salisbury bound platform it's quite a hike including a permissive path next to the money factory.

johnnychips

Established Member
I used to do mobility lessons with a lad with an electric wheelchair, and we often went from Doncaster to Conisbrough, which has two Ilkeston -like gigantic ramps. He was fine, though you had to allow at least five minutes. I think anybody in a wheelchair who self-propelled would struggle; and until I took another kid in a manual wheelchair, I never realised how much effort it took to push one uphill.

On the other hand, you have the Stainforth and Hatfield dilemma referred to above: Conisbrough station is a bit remote and there would be a risk of vandalism were lifts installed.

Killingworth

Established Member
I used to do mobility lessons with a lad with an electric wheelchair, and we often went from Doncaster to Conisbrough, which has two Ilkeston -like gigantic ramps. He was fine, though you had to allow at least five minutes. I think anybody in a wheelchair who self-propelled would struggle; and until I took another kid in a manual wheelchair, I never realised how much effort it took to push one uphill.

On the other hand, you have the Stainforth and Hatfield dilemma referred to above: Conisbrough station is a bit remote and there would be a risk of vandalism were lifts installed.
Swinton's ramps are about 30 years old and badly corroded.

20221019_145136.jpg

Meerkat

Established Member
I think I would have to be very desperate to use a lift at an unstaffed, unbarriered, station!
Arent they a major ASB risk?

norbitonflyer

Established Member
The worse ones I find are the sort which only have ramps with no "shortcut" with stairs.
Quite so. They are a real problem for people who can manage a few steps, albeit with difficulty, but have no wheels. For instance, someone on crutches.

Blindtraveler

Established Member
Does anyone on the practical operational side want to come in here and tell us just how much vandalism we do get of lifts at unstaffed stations? Obviously we know it happens but I was under the impression that a lot of stations with CCTV the lifts were able to be locked out remotely by control and then presumably a passenger in need of using it would have to use the help point to having activated again, or is this not the case or does it work differently altogether

3RDGEN

The worse ones I find are the sort which only have ramps with no "shortcut" with stairs.
Given step free access is now mandatory I am surprised they haven't stopped installing stairs on footbridges with ramps as it increases installation and ongoing maintenance costs. I agree there nice to have for those who can use them but there's no requirement to fit stairs if ramps are provided is there?

Killingworth

Established Member
Given step free access is now mandatory I am surprised they haven't stopped installing stairs on footbridges with ramps as it increases installation and ongoing maintenance costs. I agree there nice to have for those who can use them but there's no requirement to fit stairs if ramps are provided is there?

Staires nice to have? If you observe stations with ramps and stairs you'll see ramps are hardly used at all. At stations with lifts most passengers still use stairs. There are probably a few exceptions depending on where lift entrances and stairs are positioned.

To the trains

Alfreton actually was step free accessible until they closed the barrow crossing, which I'm surprised they were allowed to do before putting in a new footbridge with a lift or ramp.

Bodmin Parkway is in a similar predicament, and those two aren't the only ones by any stretch.

Lifts are obviously more convenient and take up less spaces but ramps can suffice at a minor unstaffed station and I suppose lifts can draw the sort of behaviour you don't want. I guess if the lift has a window it's probably a bit better because you then can see someone's just hanging about in it; though lifts in unsupervised areas are generally not lovely (what's the nicest lift you've ever ridden in in a multistorey carpark?). That all said there are unstaffed stations (or not permanently staffed stations) that have lifts, that are still usable.

Near my neck of the woods, Nailsea & Backwell is a pretty well used station that's really not accessible. There's no step free access to the southbound platform at all (and the stairs are steep) and the northbound platform has either stairs or a very steep ramp that's not really suitable for wheelchair users. It's supposed to get lifts as part of access for all but I'm not holding my breath about it because they tried to build ramps, the ground started to subside, they stopped work and they've been 'looking into' lifts ever since.

Last edited:

kkong

I think I would have to be very desperate to use a lift at an unstaffed, unbarriered, station!
Arent they a major ASB risk?

Depends on the type of characters who frequent the area.

I've never seen any anti-social behaviour issues with the lifts at Dyce or Kintore, for example.

ChrisC

Established Member
Alfreton actually was step free accessible until they closed the barrow crossing, which I'm surprised they were allowed to do before putting in a new footbridge with a lift or ramp.

Bodmin Parkway is in a similar predicament, and those two aren't the only ones by any stretch.

Lifts are obviously more convenient and take up less spaces but ramps can suffice at a minor unstaffed station and I suppose lifts can draw the sort of behaviour you don't want. I guess if the lift has a window it's probably a bit better because you then can see someone's just hanging about in it; though lifts in unsupervised areas are generally not lovely (what's the nicest lift you've ever ridden in in a multistorey carpark?).
I remember the barrow crossing at Alfreton very well.
After waiting all these years Alfreton may now be getting lifts just at a time when it is very likely to become unstaffed.
Although not registered disabled, my mum for around the last 10 years of her life, was not able to use Alfreton station. She could walk miles, but walked with a stick, and found those steep steps too difficult to climb.

CyrusWuff

Established Member
Depends on the type of characters who frequent the area.

I've never seen any anti-social behaviour issues with the lifts at Dyce or Kintore, for example.
Conversely, one or both lifts at Wembley Stadium station (only staffed for events) seem to spend a lot of time out of service, presumably due to vandalism.

scrapy

Established Member
My mum can use stairs no problem, however would struggle to walk the length of some station ramps. Not having stairs makes the station inaccessible to her.

Taunton

Established Member
This comes from the way the legislation is framed. I was involved with the provision of one once. The contractors' tenders that came in were all beyond the budget. The bridge could be (and was) cheapened by eliminating the stairs 'shortcut', which was allowed, but legislation did not allow eliminating the ramp.

It was not a rail bridge, but across a road dual carriageway at a junction. Of course, what now happens is many pedestrians go for crossing the road on the level. Is there any experience that tedious/challenging station footbridge ramps lead to passengers crossing the tracks?

Magdalia

Established Member
I prefer lifts or escalators. Though my legs are fine, my heart is not. For me it doesn't make much difference whether there are stairs or a ramp, both still require my heart to pump enough oxygen to my legs to lift my body weight to a higher level. Ramps do have two advantages, but for me they are marginal: ramps are easier than stairs for ascending very slowly, and ramps are easier than stairs for stopping for a rest without causing an obstruction.

Is there any experience that tedious/challenging station footbridge ramps lead to passengers crossing the tracks?
In this part of the world the most notorious is Elsenham, which had a giant footbridge built after a fatal accident on the crossing, though it only has stairs not ramps. Step free access is still via the road level crossing with manual lockable gates.

But there are still attempts to cross the line when the gates are locked, for example here:

The mother of a teenager who was killed by a train has criticised the "stupidity" of people who were nearly struck at the same level crossing.
Olivia Bazlinton, 14, and Charlotte Thompson, 13, were hit at the crossing in Elsenham, Essex, on 3 December 2005.
Recently released CCTV footage showed two people climbing around fencing to avoid the locked gates, with a fast train narrowly missing them.

Killingworth

Established Member
Does anyone on the practical operational side want to come in here and tell us just how much vandalism we do get of lifts at unstaffed stations? Obviously we know it happens but I was under the impression that a lot of stations with CCTV the lifts were able to be locked out remotely by control and then presumably a passenger in need of using it would have to use the help point to having activated again, or is this not the case or does it work differently altogether
The footbridge at manned Marple had lifts installed about 2010/11. My first picture in 2020, the second in 2015 when lifts were still fairly new and only available during manned hours. They seem to be available all day nowadays. When waiting for a train earlier this year I saw a cyclist with chunky tyred bike take the lift up and then ride down the stairs on the far side.
20210419_165753.jpgWP_20150623_10_10_52a_Pro.jpg

Last edited:

Taunton

Established Member
In this part of the world the most notorious is Elsenham, which had a giant footbridge built after a fatal accident on the crossing, though it only has stairs not ramps. Step free access is still via the road level crossing with manual lockable gates.

But there are still attempts to cross the line when the gates are locked, for example here:

The Elsenham bridge is a poor bit of design. The key issue behind the fatal accident was the inability to get back from the only ticket office, on the London-bound side, to the Cambridge platform once a train was signalled and the gates were across the road. Because the platforms are staggered either side of the crossing, the bridge puts you down nowhere near the Cambridge platform. If the Down train is running in as you try to make it across the bridge to get it, the gates are opened behind it and the stopped traffic, in both directions, all is running in the road, stopping you getting to it.

Last edited:

JKF

Stapleton Rd in Bristol has a ridiculously huge bridge with long ramps, if you’re in a train in the platform on the slow lines it obscures your view of the fasts.

I’ve twice been ‘stranded’ at stations due to poor accessibility. Although I’m mostly fit and well, I have a large and heavy ‘butchers bike’ that I’ve used for certain trips when needing to carry a bit of a load.

One occasion was going to a music festival at the MRC and taking a train to Alfreton to get there. Disembarking on the up platform with my bike (25kg with quite a few extra kg of camping equipment in the front basket) I was confronted with a steep footbridge with no ramp and no other exit from the platform. At the time I was carrying an injury of some kind (can’t remember exactly what) and wasn’t really physically able to lift everything up the steps. The call point suggested getting the next train (in about an hour) to Derby and swapping to a northbound train there. In the end I think I just about managed to get over the bridge by taking my luggage up separate to the bike, but it was a bit of a faff.

Second occasion was on a DLR at Whitechapel, with the same bike with a child seat and child on the back. The lift there is small and the bike plus child seat couldn’t fit in it. Steps were really steep too and my son wasn’t really walking very well at that point. I was lucky that a kind stranger carried my son down and waited at the bottom while I struggled down with the bike. I’ve found other lifts too that were very difficult for a bike with child seat, some on the Overground which are relatively modern were also a tight squeeze.

3RDGEN

Comments re preferring stairs to long ramps are interesting so perhaps for the best they remain.

Re bikes I have seen an odd footbridge with a ramp/trough fitted to allow bikes to be pushed up the stairway, think Selby had them, they looked a bit of a tripping hazard to me but I haven't noticed them been rolled out in significant numbers yet.

To the trains

Comments re preferring stairs to long ramps are interesting so perhaps for the best they remain.

Re bikes I have seen an odd footbridge with a ramp/trough fitted to allow bikes to be pushed up the stairway, think Selby had them, they looked a bit of a tripping hazard to me but I haven't noticed them been rolled out in significant numbers yet.
Branksome station has one of those grooves, and I've seen them in France. They're nice as a convenient extra but are obviously not completely necessary

The exile

Established Member

Fairly standard in Germany

Status
Not open for further replies.