• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Class 387 to GN

Status
Not open for further replies.

wls1

Back to 3*365 this morning, so yesterday must have been a one off.

There were no more people standing on the service yesterday than there usually are after Stevenage, but then I always sit in the second to last car....

Well I would be happy with the service to move to a 12 car 700, as that also has aircon, as long it works..... An 8 car 700 would however be a nightmare!

I would even suggest that a 700 even with 12 carriages will be a nightmare. They have even less seats than 12 car 387s and almost 100 less than 12 car 365s.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Fuzzytop

I would even suggest that a 700 even with 12 carriages will be a nightmare. They have even less seats than 12 car 387s and almost 100 less than 12 car 365s.

Lots of place to stand in a 700, though. ;)

Last edited:

Hadders

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor

Quite. Too many people are falling for the spin that the new trains meas more seats. It doesn't. A 12-car 700 instead of a 12-car class 365 in the peak means fewer seats, not more.

Lots of place to stand in a 700, though. ;)

Sadly this is the future if you travel from Stevenage or further south in the peaks.

Skimble19

Established Member
Unusually, the 387s for tonight's 2C32 1822 King's Cross to Royston and Cambridge have been substituted with 365535 and 365502. As this has been a 387 diagram for some months, am I right to presume GN are a bit tight for units now the remaining 317s have been stood down? No one standing in the front half!

This was due to a slight shortage of drivers (not units) this evening and the only drivers that could help and cover it didn't sign 387s, hence why you were treated to 365s!

Failed Unit

Established Member
Was on the 0703 WGC - kings cross today.

Now it is a 387 they put where first class is. Good considering it is shown in the timetable as having non. Penalty fare anyone. (Yes I know they shouldn't).

jon0844

Veteran Member
The 0813 KGX train does the same (I'm on it now). Most regulars know, and I doubt passenger hosts will even board and check on these trains anyway.

It's annoying that the rear two coaches are locked out at New Barnet because of a 'short platform'. The slow is actually long enough so I assume it's because it could be routed to another platform that isn't?

Failed Unit

Established Member
The 0813 KGX train does the same (I'm on it now). Most regulars know, and I doubt passenger hosts will even board and check on these trains anyway.

It's annoying that the rear two coaches are locked out at New Barnet because of a 'short platform'. The slow is actually long enough so I assume it's because it could be routed to another platform that isn't?

I think both southbound can take 8. It is the northbound that can't which is why the 1758 doesn't stop.

The 1728 kings cross has lots of seats in "first" but many people standing as they don't know.

philjo

Established Member
the 17:23 kings Cross to Royston was 2x387 last night - usually 2x365 (though has been 317s regularly in the last couple of months) there seemed to be some seats available but not as many as then it is 365s - though rear coaches are usually full and standing just before departure anyway as passengers don't walk down the platform at kings cross

I noticed there were 2x365s parks in Welwyn sidings - the sidings are usually empty at the time in the evening peak.

Last edited:

Skimble19

Established Member
the 17:23 kings Cross to Royston was 2x387 last night - usually 2x365 (though has been 317s regularly in the last couple of months) there seemed to be some seats available but not as many as then it is 365s - though rear coaches are usually full and standing just before departure anyway as passengers don't walk down the platform at kings cross

I noticed there were 2x365s parks in Welwyn sidings - the sidings are usually empty at the time in the evening peak.

Those two units had failed earlier in the day and were taken out of service at Welwyn and moved into the sidings to get them out of the way. Should have been taken down to Hornsey during the night.

jon0844

Veteran Member
Saw a 387 last week that had a first class (1) sign on the correct door, but it was all crumpled - suggesting it was one peeled off the wrong door and moved!

As all of them seem to have been removed some time ago (when on the last set of doors which wasn't first class), I wonder where this sticker was found?!

Have these started running to Kings Lynn now? Just left Ely on the Peterborough train and I thought I saw a 387 passing by. The Kings X was due so I imagine it was one.

bspahh

Established Member
Have these started running to Kings Lynn now? Just left Ely on the Peterborough train and I thought I saw a 387 passing by. The Kings X was due so I imagine it was one.

Yes. http://www.flua.org.uk/ says:

Saturday 20 May 2017 - A new era opens - Norfolk's (but not Cambridgeshire's) fastest trains start to take up Fen Line duties. 110mph class 387 units nos 108 and 106 operate the 1814 King's Lynn-King's Cross service this evening - the first of the new trains to run on the Fen Line north of Ely in normal passenger service.

Ianno87

Veteran Member

Yep - just visited Cambridge North on the first train this morning and a 387 passed through on the 0906 Cambridge-King's Lynn (loudly sounding horn at the photographers stood right on the platform edge as it approached).

Failed Unit

Established Member
Be interesting to see how they are received. Hopefully will see lots more 365s on WGC routes. Will keep people posted next week on which services are upgraded to 365s.

D365

Veteran Member
Is the Peterborough 2tph all-day going to continue to see Class 387s regularly?

bramling

Veteran Member
Is the Peterborough 2tph all-day going to continue to see Class 387s regularly?

Yes 387s will unfortunately appear on other GN services besides Kings Lynn, however the diagrams generally provide a mix of 365s and 387s with the former generally being in the majority.

The 3x morning peak up services requiring SDO remain 387s, otherwise the allocation of 365s or 387s on a given service tends to be down to the exigencies of diagramming.

Unless I've missed anything there's nothing booked for 365s north of Ely.

Many 387 services revert to 365s - which I for one am pleased about.

Some time ago I posted some more detail about all this, I think on this thread.

Last edited:

class387

Established Member
Yes 387s will unfortunately appear on other GN services besides Kings Lynn, however the diagrams generally provide a mix of 365s and 387s with the former generally being in the majority.

The 3x morning peak up services requiring SDO remain 387s, otherwise the allocation of 365s or 387s on a given service tends to be down to the exigencies of diagramming.

Unless I've missed anything there's nothing booked for 365s north of Ely.

Many 387 services revert to 365s - which I for one am pleased about.

Some time ago I posted some more detail about all this, I think on this thread.

Does this mean that services not requiring 387s will be 365 or 387 interchangably (meaning either could turn up) or still booked os one of the classes?

jon0844

Veteran Member
A lot of drivers still not signing 387s so I think that plays a big part in diagramming.

bramling

Veteran Member
Does this mean that services not requiring 387s will be 365 or 387 interchangably (meaning either could turn up) or still booked os one of the classes?

Every diagram is booked for one or the other.

Only certain diagrams are suitable for something else turning out, as many diagrams involve divides or joins at some point during the day, which makes it problematic to substitute. This particularly applies to the 387s.

Failed Unit

Established Member
Unfortunately the 3 busiest trains through WGC as bramling states will be 387s.

0655, 0725 and 0755 Cambridge- London Kings Cross. (Give or take a couple of minutes)

However i do recall the post earlier with some seriously overcrowded evening services such as the 1653 London - Cambridge upgraded to a higher capacity 365.

MikeWM

Established Member
Be interesting to see how they are received.

Given that services north of Cambridge in the peaks are so full they can't even stop at Cambridge North, I don't think the reduction in capacity will be especially welcome.

Though the 2215 Kings Cross to Kings Lynn tonight (Sunday) was 12 cars to Cambridge, which was a welcome surprise! Wonder if that will happen every week...

Failed Unit

Established Member
Another concern we shall see is a lot of the most crowded services start from Cambridge north. Not sure if passengers will change at Cambridge for a faster journey or stick with the seat into London. On the ones that are still 387 extra demand + less seats will certainly mean denied boarding further south.

philjo

Established Member
the 0551 Kings Lynn to Kings Cross service is now 387.
There were a few empty seats in the rear unit when I saw it leaving Letchworth (12 coaches south of Cambridge).
The screens were saying 1st class in coaches 1,8 and 12
The screens and auto announcements also said the train was formed of 16 coaches !! (that would solve the crowding problem ...)

I see that the front portion (presumably the front 8 coaches) now starts from Cambridge North and then couples with the portion from Kings Lynn at Cambridge. that may account for the delay if the passengers boarding at Cambridge don't have as long to board. I think previously the front 8 coaches were sitting in platform 1 at Cambridge from about 06:25 ?

http://www.realtimetrains.co.uk/train/G45531/2017/05/22/advanced

Failed Unit

Established Member
Delighted to see the 0703 WGC - kings cross upgraded to a 365 (as were the people who joined it and got a seat further south). I understand all the morning services that start at WGC have also got upgraded from the 387s.

TheDavibob

The screens were saying 1st class in coaches 1,8 and 12

Is the First Class positioning reasonably sorted now? Those sound like the logical places for it (front and back of an 8-car, back of the then attached 4-car from Kings Lynn).

Failed Unit

Established Member
Is the First Class positioning reasonably sorted now? Those sound like the logical places for it (front and back of an 8-car, back of the then attached 4-car from Kings Lynn).

Unfortunately not. Still no idea where it will be day by day. They are better at putting it on monitors now but drastically worse in terms of quality and position than what we are used to. You can't assume the front coach will have first class.

philjo

Established Member
The screens for today's 07:09 at Letchworth (05:51 from Kings Lynn) said 1st class was in coaches 4,5 and 12. However it also said the train was formed of 20 coaches (it said 16 yesterday) !!!

TheDavibob

Unfortunately not. Still no idea where it will be day by day. They are better at putting it on monitors now but drastically worse in terms of quality and position than what we are used to. You can't assume the front coach will have first class.

Thanks for clarifying, a shame.

Do the units turn at any point at all? Surely just fixing it at the London end (or even the other end, as long as it's consistent) of each 4-car unit would do the trick. I assume the very frequent coupling/decoupling is the main cause of the problems.

Status
Not open for further replies.