• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Class 810 for East Midlands Railway Construction/Introduction Updates

Nym

Established Member
Also from a company in an industry with no work on for some time when these are delivered.

It makes perfect sense to provide compensation in the form of additional units, provides more value to the client in terms of fleet availability, and keeps your factory busy. Sending back cash would just disappear and do nothing useful.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Snow1964

Established Member
It's not exactly without precedent. TPE received several extra 185s for free on top of their order from Siemens owing to delays in the production process.
As did C2C with extra 357s

Of course any extra units aren't totally free if they get tied into the maintenance contract as extra expense, with extra maintenance income for train builder

Aspen90

Pretty sure the company would pay fines for late delivery rather than give new trains for free.

Giving extra trains would mean depot capacity and workload would need looking at, as well as depot stafffijg levels as well as on board crew levels.

This does sound highly unlikely.

But, it’s the railways, so who knows, mate be more 10 car sets can run around if they do get an extra 3.
Remember Kettering is due to stable 810’s in the engineering siding - they’ve got capacity. They’ll just run more 10 cars.

On Moderation
It's not exactly without precedent. TPE received several extra 185s for free on top of their order from Siemens owing to delays in the production process.
Are you sure? What did happen with the 185s was that DfT wanted to cut the order to less than 50, but Siemens told them it was the same price as for 51 as they needed to recover the design costs over the order, so unit price was basically unchanged.

InTheEastMids

Also from a company in an industry with no work on for some time when these are delivered.

It makes perfect sense to provide compensation in the form of additional units, provides more value to the client in terms of fleet availability, and keeps your factory busy. Sending back cash would just disappear and do nothing useful.
Agree with this speculation, and it presumably hinges on the contract between EMR and Hitachi...

Especially if Hitachi are looking at real-world 80x data and thinking they can't meet contractual performance/availability guarantees with 33 trains.
In which case, perhaps the customer outcome is not really more 10-car trains, but fewer shortforms (For example easily deliver - 30/36 availability rather than fail to get to 30/33)

Anyway it's positive all round if the service for passengers is more reliable and/or has more scope for growth.
Whilst every little helps, I'm not sure that 15 extra vehicles is really going to give anxious Hitachi staff the peace of mind they need.

Nym

Established Member
Agree with this speculation, and it presumably hinges on the contract between EMR and Hitachi...

Especially if Hitachi are looking at real-world 80x data and thinking they can't meet contractual performance/availability guarantees with 33 trains.
In which case, perhaps the customer outcome is not really more 10-car trains, but fewer shortforms (For example easily deliver - 30/36 availability rather than fail to get to 30/33)

Anyway it's positive all round if the service for passengers is more reliable and/or has more scope for growth.
Whilst every little helps, I'm not sure that 15 extra vehicles is really going to give anxious Hitachi staff the peace of mind they need.
All depends on just how far delivery timescales are pushed back and what is happening in terms of the NPL let go and 'wind down' of the site prior to HS2 kick off.

I don't think anyone on here knows (or if did know couldn't say) the commercial strategy of Hitachi oop norf, but they almost definitely will have a plan.

Established Member
Will be there for roughly 2-3 weeks I’ve heard

I spotted this last night heading into Derby - first one I’ve seen in the flesh! It really does look noticeably different from the other 8XXs.

QSK19

Looks like 810004 made an appearance pan up. Photo originally posted in the Class 8xx Appreciation group on Facebook

Attachments

• IMG_5677.jpeg
    IMG_5677.jpeg
    823 KB · Views: 376

Mugby

Established Member
Had a good look at 810001 on Etches Park as I passed by on a Nottingham train yesterday, it doesn't have any seats in, just empty body shells.

Established Member
Had a good look at 810001 on Etches Park as I passed by on a Nottingham train yesterday, it doesn't have any seats in, just empty body shells.
It is a test train for Hitachi, full
Of weights and test equipment, the unit has not been handed over to EMR.
The unit is at Derby for the testing and
Commissioning of some of the new depot equipment.

Last edited:

QSK19

Has the landslip on the Old Dalby line delayed the 810's entering EMR service?
Judging by previous replies, two reasons are painfully slow progress by Hitachi (it’s been mentioned on RF that EMR may be getting 3 more 810s FOC as compensation for the delay) and still no agreement with unions over the training plan.

I would wager a quid or two that full introduction would be pushed back to 2026.

Aspen90

Judging by previous replies, two reasons are painfully slow progress by Hitachi (it’s been mentioned on RF that EMR may be getting 3 more 810s FOC as compensation for the delay) and still no agreement with unions over the training plan.

I would wager a quid or two that full introduction would be pushed back to 2026.
I agree with you. There’s no way they are going to get them in to service by ‘mid 2025’ when the drivers won’t touch them, if a deal IS struck for the hundreds of drivers to be traction trained on them, and all of the TM’s to be trained. Then there will be the inevitable ‘teething problems’…

Energy

Established Member
Abellio didn't quote order enough 810s. A couple years ago there was talk of EMR trying to keep the 180s as a top up so a few extra 810s for free would be good. EMR is fortunate that its existing fleet isn't that old so it isn't too desperate for the 810s.

QSK19

Abellio didn't quote order enough 810s. A couple years ago there was talk of EMR trying to keep the 180s as a top up so a few extra 810s for free would be good. EMR is fortunate that its existing fleet isn't that old so it isn't too desperate for the 810s.
Correct, not like they’re under time pressure - any future 222 operator will simply have to wait. Nevertheless, still frustrating that 810 progress is slow.

Keeping the 180s was, IMO, wishful thinking. Even if they were retained at a peppercorn lease, it would have been a half-arsed solution to the problem.

If the 3 extra 810s do materialise, I think Abellio/Transport UK/EMR will have got away with the insufficient stock issue through sheer luck and fluke.

Energy

Established Member
Keeping the 180s was, IMO, wishful thinking. Even if they were retained at a peppercorn lease, it would have been a half-arsed solution to the problem.
Agreed. While they were on lease they struggled to get the 2 in service per day needed.

I presume the thinking of keeping them around was that they could pay Angel as little as possible as nobody else wants them. Though they'd obviously still need to pay for maintanence.
If the 3 extra 810s do materialise, I think Abellio/Transport UK/EMR will have got away with the insufficient stock issue through sheer luck and fluke.
Agreed, I hope they do materialise.

T74

810001 wasn’t on etches park today well not next to new shed anyway when went past anyone know where it’s gone .

TheBigD

Established Member
When I passed Etches Park at 17:15 this evening, it was in full veiw outside.

Established Member
Not the best but the 810 was hiding behind a 222 this morning. Both were gone by earlier this afternoon.
IMG_20240419_082527226.jpg