• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Conwy Valley Line

Y Ddraig Coch

Established Member
The weather has been truly awful recently with an awful lot of high winds and rain. The high tides caused flooding right along the coast, Llanfairfechan, Conwy, LLandudno, Old colwyn, Kinmel bay all flooded at high tide yesterday and made quite a mess that is having to be cleared and repaired today and the Conwy valley as we all know suffers badly at the best of times so this was of little surprise in such extreme weather.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Russel

Glad I did the Conwy Valley last Tuesday!

I know in the past there has been calls on here for it to be ripped up and replaced by a bus service, but after using it a couple of times over the last 18 months, I'm pleased to see how popular it is these days, some journeys 2 car 197's have been rather cosy. It's nice to see.

AlastairFraser

Established Member
Glad I did the Conwy Valley last Tuesday!

I know in the past there has been calls on here for it to be ripped up and replaced by a bus service, but after using it a couple of times over the last 18 months, I'm pleased to see how popular it is these days, some journeys 2 car 197's have been rather cosy. It's nice to see.
It also has quite a lot of potential, as it's on the shortest practical all Wales north-south rail route, should the Welsh government seek to invest in this.
A link from Minffordd near Porthmadog to Blaenau Ffestiniog (plus Builth Wells to Caersws) would enable more direct north-south services, and better local links between the western and northern coasts.

Krokodil

Established Member
There's now an hourly bus between Blaenau and Porthmadog, number T22. Naturally there is no integration of timetabling or ticketing...

Llandudno

Established Member
There's now an hourly bus between Blaenau and Porthmadog, number T22. Naturally there is no integration of timetabling or ticketing...
Indeed both bus and rail services specified / operated by the Senedd!

Krokodil

Established Member
I think that the main stumbling block is that they want a consistent hourly pattern for the bus (sensibly so) but the train - despite running effectively every three hours - doesn't arrive/depart at a consistent time past each hour. The rail timetable was heavily influenced by the need to connect with Ffestiniog services (BR's Manchester division, Birmingham division and the FR Co. all came together to make it work) but the FR no longer works to those timings any more. The rail timetable needs to be recast to a consistent pattern and the buses retimed to match.

Jez

Established Member
When was the last time a 150 or 153 operated the Conwy Valley services? Is it exclusive 197s now or do they still get a 150 substitute occasionally?

Last edited:

Y Ddraig Coch

Established Member
I haven't seen a 150 anywhere on the North Wales coast in a while. All 197 or 158

Jez

Established Member
I haven't seen a 150 anywhere on the North Wales coast in a while. All 197 or 158
Thats good to know. Im planning a trip to North Wales later this year. I like 197s and 158s. Not at all keen on the other Sprinters though!

I think I did see a couple of 150s the other day on RTT doing two different Cardiff-Holyhead journeys but hopefully those are few and far between now.

Russel

There was a double 153 on the Crewe - Llandudno run last Tuesday, I can't say it was overly pleasant.

Oxfordblues

I think that the main stumbling block is that they want a consistent hourly pattern for the bus (sensibly so) but the train - despite running effectively every three hours - doesn't arrive/depart at a consistent time past each hour.
I remember in the late-1960s the late-morning train from Llandudno arrived at Blaenau Ffestiniog at 12:27 and the Crosville bus was due to depart for Portmadoc at 12:22. The bus schedule was so slack (due no doubt to trade union pressure) that the driver deliberately departed a few minutes late to avoid crawling along - but never quite late enough to connect off the train. At least once I walked to Tan-y-Bwlch for the Festiniog train!

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
I think that the main stumbling block is that they want a consistent hourly pattern for the bus (sensibly so) but the train - despite running effectively every three hours - doesn't arrive/depart at a consistent time past each hour. The rail timetable was heavily influenced by the need to connect with Ffestiniog services (BR's Manchester division, Birmingham division and the FR Co. all came together to make it work) but the FR no longer works to those timings any more. The rail timetable needs to be recast to a consistent pattern and the buses retimed to match.

Agreed. If they're going to want to fully integrate rail and regional bus in Wales (and I really think they should) they are going to have to get all the rail services to perfect clockface, which will need some compromises in other areas (e.g. how do you path occasional services like the Avantis and do you just duplicate them with a standard hourly Holyhead-Cardiff, for instance), but the potential benefits are significant.

Poor integration (both between rail and bus, and between buses!) results in you being able to get from London to Llandudno Jn in a few hours but needing a few hours again to travel 20 miles by bus. This means rail is only attractive going to places it serves directly, limiting its appeal.

(Cornwall is another place where this is very much the case)

Tomos y Tanc

It may be a pedantic point but the services are specefied by TfW, an agency of the Welsh Government rather than the Senedd and, in the case of the bus, are operated by a private company. The basic point though that the timetables and ticketing should be better aligned is obviously correct.

LNW-GW Joint

Veteran Member
It also has quite a lot of potential, as it's on the shortest practical all Wales north-south rail route, should the Welsh government seek to invest in this.
A link from Minffordd near Porthmadog to Blaenau Ffestiniog (plus Builth Wells to Caersws) would enable more direct north-south services, and better local links between the western and northern coasts.
That's one to put alongside Gaerwen-Amlwch and Carmarthen-Aberystwyth in a worst business case competition.
It will always be faster and more economical via the Marches.

Krokodil

Established Member
When was the last time a 150 or 153 operated the Conwy Valley services? Is it exclusive 197s now or do they still get a 150 substitute occasionally?
Early March, I think. they turn up every few months.

Poor integration (both between rail and bus, and between buses!)
Integration between rail and rail is bad enough.

results in you being able to get from London to Llandudno Jn in a few hours but needing a few hours again to travel 20 miles by bus.
It's bad enough trying to get to/from Llandudno at certain times of day. On non-direct trains you should (and used to) be able to step off of one train (either Up or Down) at Llandudno Junction, walk straight to platform 2 and depart for Llandudno. Simutaneously passengers who had arrived on that shuttle could go straight to main line trains in both directions. With the current timetable, the cynic in me (as a Conductor one's personality is 90% cynic) thinks that the connections are designed to deter people from travelling.

Agreed. If they're going to want to fully integrate rail and regional bus in Wales (and I really think they should) they are going to have to get all the rail services to perfect clockface, which will need some compromises in other areas (e.g. how do you path occasional services like the Avantis and do you just duplicate them with a standard hourly Holyhead-Cardiff, for instance), but the potential benefits are significant.
If you had an xx:20/xx:50 symmetry minute then the Avanti and Northern connections at Chester slot in reasonably well. The few Avanti services which extend down the coast can just be considered as crowd-busting extras rather than part of the main service pattern.

AlastairFraser

Established Member
That's one to put alongside Gaerwen-Amlwch and Carmarthen-Aberystwyth in a worst business case competition.
It depends on the future growth of north-south travel in Wales. There's likely going to be no more major road improvements, and air wasn't viable, so rail is the only real option.
Problem is that the English section of the Marches line is unlikely to see major upgrade because neither govt. will pay for it (unless you annex Herefordshire, Shropshire and parts of western Cheshire to Wales :lol:).

L401CJF

Established Member
150227 worked the branch all day on 22nd Feb.

I was on a 150 from Holyhead to Chester (on a Birmingham service) earlier this week, they do still get up here occasionally.

Jez

Established Member
150227 worked the branch all day on 22nd Feb.

I was on a 150 from Holyhead to Chester (on a Birmingham service) earlier this week, they do still get up here occasionally.
Thanks.

Hopefully not much longer they will appear on North Wales routes.

6Gman

Established Member
Not least because the major population centres tend to be on the eastern side of the country.

Wrexham to Cardiff via Shrewsbury makes a lot more sense than via Moat Lane Junction and Three Cocks Junction !

And always did.

Tomos y Tanc

Not least because the major population centres tend to be on the eastern side of the country.

Wrexham to Cardiff via Shrewsbury makes a lot more sense than via Moat Lane Junction and Three Cocks Junction !

And always did.
Indeed. What north-south travel there was in Victorian times was predominantly on the Marches Line - not least because a change at Pontypool Road provided easy access to the booming communities of the south Wales valleys.

I recall reading an amusing piece describing Pontypool Road as the "Preachers' Platform" because of the number of northern chapel ministers who used it when they were visiting preachers at southern chapels!

Parham Wood

Nor at PenrhynDD, nor even withe the G23 close miss.
I think integrated bus and rail connections are rare in any part of the UK. It would make a lot of sense to start working towards integrating bus and rail throughout the UK in areas where transport is limited, so mainly rural areas with infrequent services. However with the many bus and rail companies organising this will be difficult. Buses often have tight turnaround schedules and crew schedules these days so retiming will affect several journeys or even require a second crew which changes the cost /viability scenario. A change may also not be so convenient for bus passengers along the route affecting timings for school journeys or allowing people to arrive in time for work etc. Ongoing bus connections may be affected. Not to mention the difficulty of changing train schedules. That said the phrase "where there is a will there is a way" comes to mind. For some journeys eg Blaenau connections perhaps there is a solution.

Deafdoggie

Established Member
I think integrated bus and rail connections are rare in any part of the UK. It would make a lot of sense to start working towards integrating bus and rail throughout the UK in areas where transport is limited, so mainly rural areas with infrequent services. However with the many bus and rail companies organising this will be difficult. Buses often have tight turnaround schedules and crew schedules these days so retiming will affect several journeys or even require a second crew which changes the cost /viability scenario. A change may also not be so convenient for bus passengers along the route affecting timings for school journeys or allowing people to arrive in time for work etc. Ongoing bus connections may be affected. Not to mention the difficulty of changing train schedules. That said the phrase "where there is a will there is a way" comes to mind. For some journeys eg Blaenau connections perhaps there is a solution.
It's a difficult thing to achieve. Let's say the bus runs from town A to the station in town B. The trains at B are hourly at :00 There's only demand for an hourly bus service, the route takes 28 minutes one way end to end. How can you work it?
The bus needs to arrive around :55 and depart at :05 to make both connections into and out of the train. But you don't have 10 minutes spare in the timetable.

The exile

Established Member
It's a difficult thing to achieve. Let's say the bus runs from town A to the station in town B. The trains at B are hourly at :00 There's only demand for an hourly bus service, the route takes 28 minutes one way end to end. How can you work it?
The bus needs to arrive around :55 and depart at :05 to make both connections into and out of the train. But you don't have 10 minutes spare in the timetable.
In cases like that you schedule the bus to be at B around :30. It’s not ideal but it doesn’t stop you integrating the fares, the timetabling (ie timetables are coordinated and change (if required) on the same day) and the liability in the case of delays / missed connections.

Last edited:

Deafdoggie

Established Member
In case like that you schedule the bus to be at B around :30. It’s not ideal but it it doesn’t stop you integrating the fares, the timetabling (ie timetables are coordinated and change (if required) on the same day) and the liability in the case of delays / missed connections.
We had a bus station where all the departures were :00 so everyone could connect off any bus and onto any other (obviously many routes had other departures too, but all routes had an :00) so it was really good connectivity across the area. But then they changed the train times. Rather than destroy the whole connection and the clock face easy timetable, the missed train connection remained.
Of course the railway maintained the train needed to change time to give better connections elsewhere. So someone, somewhere was always going to miss out. Everything can't connect everywhere. Plusbus sorts out most through ticketing, although doesn't, of course, cover any delays. We are, however, veering wildly off-topic. But the point is, not everything can connect with everything else.

Last edited:

JRT

The Ffestiniog had its own table in the 1980s national railway timetable book, showing connections at both BF (the stations moved a bit closer around this time) and Minffordd.

BridgeofSighs

7th March this year for a 150, the last time 153s (as a pair) appeared was 11th June 2023 - the last time a single 153 worked was February 2023.

No guarantee that either unit will ever appear again and I'm reasonably surprised that 150s have made recent appearances at all

Jez

Established Member
7th March this year for a 150, the last time 153s (as a pair) appeared was 11th June 2023 - the last time a single 153 worked was February 2023.

No guarantee that either unit will ever appear again and I'm reasonably surprised that 150s have made recent appearances at all
Many thanks for.the information.. I'm also surprised a 150 has worked the Conwy Valley Branch Line so recently

Last edited: