• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Crossrail - Construction updates and progress towards opening (now expected 24 May 2022)

Status
Not open for further replies.

fat_boy_pete

Blimey - if that's a real quote from the Daily Mail, whatever is happening to standards (harumph). If even they think the Queen is called "Her Royal Highness"!?!
They don't bother with sub-editors nowadays, so howlers like that creep in.

Mind you Daily Fail, accuracy?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

kevin_roche

Blimey - if that's a real quote from the Daily Mail, whatever is happening to standards (harumph). If even they think the Queen is called "Her Royal Highness"!?!

It is from the Daily Mail website. It is quite different from the other news sites which have mostly used the press release almost verbatim. I thought that might cause some reaction. ;)

hwl

Established Member

reddragon

Established Member
The only news item is that Bond Street has been "decoupled from line opening".

In other unsurprising news bears do their business in the woods...
A new TV series is to replace 'A billion pound railway' called Fawlty Crossrail starring John Cleese

kevin_roche

The monthly report by Mark Wild to the London Assembly transport committee has been published on the TfL website.

In an earlier report the plan was to run a reduced service in phase 5b but it looks like that may have changed.

Full Elizabeth line Services (Stages 5b & 5c)

After the opening of the central section of the Elizabeth line, in the first half of this year, direct
services from Reading, Heathrow and Shenfield are expected to connect with the central section in
Autumn 2022.

When this phase launches, services from Reading and Heathrow will operate through to Abbey
Wood. Services from Shenfield will operate through to Paddington. The service in the central
section between Paddington and Whitechapel will be 24 trains per hour during the peak. Full end to
end services are expected to start no later than May 2023.

There is a also a note in the section on Trial Operations Section that says the train software has been updated:

Alstom also uploaded the train fleet software update, which has provided improved fleet reliability.

Last edited:

Horizon22

Established Member
Associate Staff
Jobs & Careers
Certainly appears to have been some strong progress the last 3 months. The 12tph runs fairly reliably now. One thing that still needs excuting is the big scenarios (as discussed in #697).

och aye

Congrats to Crossrail for taking its first "passenger" The rail vloggers will be dead jealous I'm sure. :lol:

The operator of Crossrail trains declared a “high-risk security breach” after a member of the public was able to ride a service across London, despite ongoing testing and construction work taking place on the line.

Construction News can reveal that the man boarded the service at Abbey Wood station, south-east London, and rode it to Paddington, in the West End.

He is believed to be the first member of the public to gain an unauthorised ride on the service.

The man was able to walk onto the Elizabeth line platforms at Abbey Wood and ride through stations which are still part of trials, as well as Canary Wharf and Bond Street which are active construction sites. Almost all test services stop and open their doors at every station – including the incomplete ones – as part of the trial running process.

JonathanH

Veteran Member
Is the video on YouTube yet?
I think the point is that the people who do videos haven't been given access yet but someone who doesn't do videos has taken a ride.

Does riding Crossrail trains at the moment constitute a criminal offence for anyone who were to find a way through?

Meerkat

Established Member
I think the point is that the people who do videos haven't been given access yet but someone who doesn't do videos has taken a ride.

Does riding Crossrail trains at the moment constitute a criminal offence for anyone who were to find a way through?
My point was that the passenger was probably filming it.

Mollman

Established Member

Guessing it counts as trespass

reddragon

Established Member

Severity depends on what was required to access the train!

Open gate, checked destination signs & boarded would be very hard to challenge!

DJ_K666

Surely once the train is moving they stop being a 'customer' and magically become a 'passenger'.

Do Crossrail trains terminate, hoof everyone off and then go on j toothed tunnels empty?

Korot

You mean currently?
Currently the non-core trains terminate in the above ground terminal stations; with trial service being a shuttle that does not interact with the non-core above ground service.

kevin_roche

Today, New Civil Engineer are reporting that Canary Wharf station has been handed over.

In a project update, Crossrail chief executive Mark Wild announced that Canary Wharf has now completed outstanding assurance work and has been handed over to TfL to carry out intensive testing and commissioning at the station.

I must admit I can't find the report they are reporting. Anyone else know where he said that?

Last edited:

Taunton

Established Member
BBC allowed in for a trial trip :

One thing I notice is it took 7 seconds between the train coming to a stand and the doors being fully opened. That seems way beyond what you get on the Jubilee Line. If true at each station it will have a notable impact on end-to-end journey time.

kevin_roche

One thing I notice is it took 7 seconds between the train coming to a stand and the doors being fully opened. That seems way beyond what you get on the Jubilee Line. If true at each station it will have a notable impact on end-to-end journey time.
There is also a link to a page of text along the same lines.

I am not impressed by the map they used though. It has the section from Hayes and Harlington to Heathrow and Reading as still under construction.

Attachments

• _103239739_crossrail_640-nc.png
    _103239739_crossrail_640-nc.png
    61.5 KB · Views: 84

BahrainLad

Today, New Civil Engineer are reporting that Canary Wharf station has been handed over.

I must admit I can't find the report they are reporting. Anyone else know where he said that?

I think it was in the update video from YouTube recently posted upthread.

Acton1991

Also interesting that the automated announcements still stay 'This is a TfL Rail service'

Bigbru

They have now announced it:

CANARY WHARF BECOMES THE PENULTIMATE ELIZABETH LINE STATION TRANSFERRED TO TFL

matt_world2004

Established Member
It appears some crossrail trains are going beyond the Royal Oak boundary during testing. (I think to old oak common) I saw one from a tfl Rail train the other day leave the tunnel at a speed not to stop in the siding and my gwr was held while a crossrail train "Overtook " it and we later Overtook the same train that was stopped outside the tunnel

JonathanH

Veteran Member
It appears some crossrail trains are going beyond the Royal Oak boundary during testing. (I think to old oak common) I saw one from a tfl Rail train the other day leave the tunnel at a speed not to stop in the siding and my gwr was held while a crossrail train "Overtook " it and we later Overtook the same train that was stopped outside the tunnel
RTT shows ten through workings to Old Oak Common scheduled as part of the operational running though the day with a replacement unit running into the tunnel at about the same time.

Snow1964

Established Member

The TfL Board papers say Canary Wharf was handed over 21st January

3.3 The success of the commissioning of the software over the festive period and the transfer of Canary Wharf station are critical to commencing the second phase of Trial Operations. Final modifications to the safety systems were carried out at Canary Wharf station, which transferred to TfL on 21 January 2022. The team is making good progress at Bond Street station and the decision has been made to decouple the completion of the station from the opening of the railway. This allows the best opportunity for the earliest opening of the railway and the earliest completion of the station and the team is working on a plan to achieve the earliest opening.

stuu

Established Member

There's only a maximum of 7 stations with platform screen doors, so it's not that much. I'm sure when the Jubilee line switched from manual driving to automatic that the doors/PSDs took much longer to open, and was speeded up later

Status
Not open for further replies.