• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Ex LNER (and Grand Central) Mark 4 sets for TfW

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

sd0733

Established Member
I completely forgot about 67012, the last time I saw it was a few months back on a Swansea to Manchester service! Good to see it back
It's been out of service for most of those few months. Can't even remember when it was out last so its a definite positive its back in the fleet.

Envoy

Established Member
10:30 from Manchester was a 5-car Mk4, but there is very little point when the 197 continuing west pulls out at the same time the Mk4 is arriving. The scheduled connection works but instead there is an hour wait for the next train west.

You just wonder whether the despatchers at Cardiff enjoy letting one train go when they know the one arriving on the neighbouring platform has passengers on it who want that train.

The delay repay is always nice, but I simply cannot see how a 5-minute delay would have impacted anything, especially 197s are good at recovering time.
Absolutely appalling that they send the Milford train west from Cardiff at exactly the same time as the service from Manchester arrives on the adjoining platform.

tomoufc

Does anyone know which services are 67s on the Manchester route tomorrow, please?

Also where do I put my bike? In the DVT?

sd0733

Established Member
Does anyone know which services are 67s on the Manchester route tomorrow, please?

Also where do I put my bike? In the DVT?
Should be 0635, 0849, 1052, 1449, 1649, 1855 from Cardiff.
Depends where you're going from and to but if the DVT is platformed at both ends then yes bikes go in there.

tomoufc

Thanks very much. I’m going from Stockport to Shrewsbury and return, so I’m assuming the DVT will be paltformed both ends. The TfW website is unclear whether reservations are needed for bikes. Anyone know?

SuperLuke2334

Established Member
Thanks very much. I’m going from Stockport to Shrewsbury and return, so I’m assuming the DVT will be paltformed both ends. The TfW website is unclear whether reservations are needed for bikes. Anyone know?
It'll be platformed yes. As far as I know no reservations required.

Western 52

Absolutely appalling that they send the Milford train west from Cardiff at exactly the same time as the service from Manchester arrives on the adjoining platform.
Indeed, for those of us living west of Swansea it means a very long wait. Hopefully they'll sort this out as part of TfW's timetable review.

Topological

Presently the timings can be seen on RTT but that will drop off soon so I have provided the relevant lines here:

(From: https://www.realtimetrains.co.uk/se...DF/2024-03-27/1340?stp=WVS&show=all&order=wtt)

As you can see the Manchester Piccadilly terminated late at 1349 1/2 whilst the continuation left at 1349

The Milford Haven train arrived at Swansea early: https://www.realtimetrains.co.uk/service/gb-nr:P63962/2024-03-27/detailed#allox_id=0

sd0733

Established Member

tomoufc

I was on the five car set from Shrewsbury today.

I’m really sold on them. Fantastic trains! TfW have been criticised a lot in recent months, and I have to admit the idea of Mark IVs on the Marched seemed a stretch to me, but if the reliability keeps improving then it will have been worth the pain.

Lurcheroo

I was on the five car set from Shrewsbury today.

I’m really sold on them. Fantastic trains! TfW have been criticised a lot in recent months, and I have to admit the idea of Mark IVs on the Marched seemed a stretch to me, but if the reliability keeps improving then it will have been worth the pain.
Great to hear the good experience!

Many have been incredibly critical of TFW, from their long term plan choices, to the way things are running day to day. And sometimes it’s been totally justified, at one stage the daily running was near catastrophic (not that TFW had any ability to make it better than they had) I’ve been a huge advocate for them both on here, on other social media and In person, forever saying that things will improve as the new rolling stock comes through we will have longer, more frequent and more reliable trains. And in my opinion the MK4’s really should be the pride of the fleet despite being much older than much of the brand new stock we will have.
Very comfortable, good capacity and a fantastic catering offering rarely seen on rail these days.
The MK4’s reliability seems to have improved a lot as SD said further up this thread, here to hoping it’s long term.
I personally would love to see HD08 get restored and brought into service and then possibly a few more sets could get picked up when LNER let a few more go.
And possibly a different loco so that through running to Swansea could be possible for all MK4 services.

ATP

I’m due on the 1453 from Cardiff today and noticed on RTT the the expected inbound from Manchester is a 150 (due into Cardiff at 1350?) does that look like it’ll be a set swap in that case?

sd0733

Established Member
I’m due on the 1453 from Cardiff today and noticed on RTT the the expected inbound from Manchester is a 150 (due into Cardiff at 1350?) does that look like it’ll be a set swap in that case?
The 14:53 from Cardiff is formed off the 04:54 from Crewe which was HD03.

ATP

The 14:53 from Cardiff is formed off the 04:54 from Crewe which was HD03.
Ah brill, thanks. To be fair you did post the diagrams on the last page so I should’ve noticed but appreciated none the less!

Is there any place I can see what all the MK4s are made up of DVT+coach wise?

Topological

Immediately below a post which said how great TfW are for having 30 year old reject stock from England.

The Mk4 is nothing more than a vanity project which has severed connectivity and left continual mess in its wake. Yes, Mk4s are nice when they run, but they do not always run, don't look like getting to the full set of diagrams any time soon, and that is not good enough. People on here seem excited when the booked train actually turns up as booked. That is how bad the Mk4 project has made the Marches.

So forgive me if I am critical of TfW. I doubt anyone else who watched their connection pulling out as the Mk4 pulled in, thus earning an hour in Cardiff, would be happy either (And that is when the connection works, for many hours the Cardiff time after splitting the diagram is not even long enough to continue West without the long wait).

sd0733

Established Member
Do you know what mk4s are out tomorrow between Manchester and Cardiff? I plan to travel from Shrewsbury to Cardiff.
Shrewsbury to Cardiff should be everything except the 05:37 which will be a unit.
I believe that the diagram has swapped back to the original too so it would be the 09:44/17:44 booked as Mk4s and the 11:44/19:44 back to booked units.

tomoufc

Immediately below a post which said how great TfW are for having 30 year old reject stock from England.

The Mk4 is nothing more than a vanity project which has severed connectivity and left continual mess in its wake. Yes, Mk4s are nice when they run, but they do not always run, don't look like getting to the full set of diagrams any time soon, and that is not good enough. People on here seem excited when the booked train actually turns up as booked. That is how bad the Mk4 project has made the Marches.

So forgive me if I am critical of TfW. I doubt anyone else who watched their connection pulling out as the Mk4 pulled in, thus earning an hour in Cardiff, would be happy either (And that is when the connection works, for many hours the Cardiff time after splitting the diagram is not even long enough to continue West without the long wait).
I live in the North of England, and we could do with a few vanity projects here!

Topological

I live in the North of England, and we could do with a few vanity projects here!
Which particular through connections would you like to sever? (That is off topic by the way)

I guess the equivalent of Cardiff to Manchester as a 150 is TransPennine using 150s to Newcastle? Maybe the Saltburn train if Newcastle seems a bit bigger than Cardiff? Worth remembering too that TPE do have Mk5 which are new, not hand-me-downs, and have phased them out because unreliable microfleets are not progress.

I guess it is hard for rail enthusiasts to think that normal passengers prefer a 197 on a direct train than loco-hauled stock that breaks the connection and gets replaced with a 150 (or borrows the 197 from a direct train so the 197 gets replaced with a 150). I find it laughable that people defend TfW when this whole thread is "which of the booked diagrams are actually running?"

We are told there are changes coming to the timetable, but this shambles has been going on for more than one timetable change already. It seems so long ago we had a reliable 175 service on the Marches which connected West Wales to Manchester hourly.

Caaardiff

Can I suggest a new topic is created for what Mk4 is allocated to what trip and this topic is kept to discussing the Mk4's rather than their daily schedules?