• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

First Greater Glasgow

lastbus

Passed a X11 on the motoway that was full and standing. Is there a shortage of double deckers? The 267 service on Saturday was all E200MMCs from what I seen.
Two peak X11s are on pm peak boards so get allocated whatever is left in the depot in the afternoon. Occasionally these can be single deck operated but are generally double deckers.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

LT02 NVV

Knowing First Glasgow, I have a feeling that in the future, we may sometimes see the Scotrail buses make occasional services on other routes.

Back years ago, when First had the 398 route contract, they ran the service with branded Optare Solos, with two buses being given an SPT Rail wrap at first (53202 & 53203) but these got re-painted into the standard livery at the time. Later on, they gave two a Scotrail Saltire wrap (50463 & 50465), and they would also later be re-painted into the standard livery at the time too.

Anyways, they would sometimes make appearances on other routes such as the M3 (or the 3 before 2013), the M60 (or the 140 before 2013), the 81, and some of the 2xx Lanarkshire services, while a regular liveried solo would run in it’s place.

(New Post: Tue 24 Oct)
So currently, here are the buses that are on-loan to Aberdeen right now from First Glasgow:

Attachments

• ABB51928-878B-4586-AF93-D3563BBF829F.jpeg
    ABB51928-878B-4586-AF93-D3563BBF829F.jpeg
    24.6 KB · Views: 39
  • D0E75AAF-2DFC-4DAB-945A-D0A55FCC5880.jpeg
    D0E75AAF-2DFC-4DAB-945A-D0A55FCC5880.jpeg
    31.7 KB · Views: 38
  • 1D1345D8-0490-4BB7-A812-33B6EE3FB58D.jpeg
    1D1345D8-0490-4BB7-A812-33B6EE3FB58D.jpeg
    23 KB · Views: 38
Last edited:

route101

Established Member
I saw an Airport E400 City on the A9 near Perth earlier, along with two Geminis. Wonder if they were up in Aberdeen?

MasterSpenny

I saw an Airport E400 City on the A9 near Perth earlier, along with two Geminis. Wonder if they were up in Aberdeen?
They could have been, depending on if you know the fleet numbers for the buses you saw. This was stated in the First Aberdeen thread that two had moved back to Glasgow
It looks as if 33104 and 33109 are back in First Glasgow, with 33906 coming to Aberdeen and in Aberdeen colours.

LT02 NVV

One of the Ex-London Enviro 200s (44448) is now out in service at the Caledonia depot, I wonder if it will head to Dumbarton (like the 4 that are already there), or one of the Lanarkshire depots. Hopefully the same will happen with the others still at Caledonia.

One of the Ex-London Enviro 200s (44448) is now out in service at the Caledonia depot, I wonder if it will head to Dumbarton (like the 4 that are already there), or one of the Lanarkshire depots. Hopefully the same will happen with the others still at Caledonia.
The Dumbarton ones tend to stick to the 206. With an occasional trip on 1s, usually during the peak

LT02 NVV

The Dumbarton ones tend to stick to the 206. With an occasional trip on 1s, usually during the peak
I honestly enjoy getting them on the 1 routes most of the time, it’s nice having buses out that aren’t just E300s.

My only gripe about the E200s when they are out on the 1 routes, is that they can be really busy during the week day peak-time services (from 16:00-19:00), the same can be said for the Streetlites too, but that’s because both of them are shorter bus types than the regular E300s.

I honestly enjoy getting them on the 1 routes most of the time, it’s nice having buses out that aren’t just E300s.

My only gripe about the E200s when they are out on the 1 routes, is that they can be really busy during the week day peak-time services (from 16:00-19:00), the same can be said for the Streetlites too, but that’s because both of them are shorter bus types than the regular E300s.
Really what the 1s need are double deckers. Using less drivers and giving more space and seats. Hopefully when electrics get to Dumbarton it will be new generation E400 evs. We can but hope.

LT02 NVV

1. Why has First Aberdeen King’s Coaches 20613 been tracking on some Glasgow routes for a while now, but I don't know if the bus is actually here (because I haven’t seen it out in service) or some other bus is using its ticket machine?
UPDATE: It’s actually a spare ticket machine that’s being used for one of the Gemini buses in Olympia livery (I think it’s 37192), I just saw it pass on the 60, at the time it is tracking that coach today.

Last edited:

LT02 NVV

What app do you use for tracking?
BusTimes.org usually, though I know sometimes they don’t track the right bus or track a bus at all.

Because I am in the Drumchapel area, I was able to see the bus pass me, and I did notice it was one of the few Olympia Gemini buses. I don’t know who’s idea it was to add a spare ticket machine tracker that’s based in Glasgow to an Aberdeen coach on BusTimes, but it’s kinda stupid.

ScotRail158725

Established Member
I don’t know who’s idea it was to add a spare ticket machine tracker that’s based in Glasgow to an Aberdeen coach on BusTimes, but it’s kinda stupid.
It's not done manually; the ticket machine will input itself into the system which bustimes.org uses.

Last edited by a moderator:

Jordan Adam

Established Member
I don’t know who’s idea it was to add a spare ticket machine tracker that’s based in Glasgow to an Aberdeen coach on BusTimes, but it’s kinda stupid.
It is not a spare ticket machine, the ticket machine code is "20613" therefore those vehicle details are accurate. It is an issue on First's end.

Observer

I was on the 89 earlier in the week and it was my first experience of tap on tap off, only problem is I got charged £5 instead of £2.85 as I only made a single journey. The driver told me to tap off at the end of the journey which I did.

I filled in the form regarding adjusting the price, but my question is more about why did this happen in the first place? Think next time I'll just put coins in the vault if it's just for a single.

JumpinTrainz

Established Member
Taken from another forum. ADL have revealed their new E100EV and E400EVs. I must say the new generation E400EVs look much smarter than current ones and more practical. They seem to resemble the MMC design which I am a huge fan of.

With the B9TLs ageing - I’m hopeful Glasgow will order a big batch of these soon. Given Glasgow seem to be trying to standardise the fleet it would be interesting to see them order some E100EVs for Lanarkshire local services which could also see off the Streetlites.

I was on the 89 earlier in the week and it was my first experience of tap on tap off, only problem is I got charged £5 instead of £2.85 as I only made a single journey. The driver told me to tap off at the end of the journey which I did.

I filled in the form regarding adjusting the price, but my question is more about why did this happen in the first place? Think next time I'll just put coins in the vault if it's just for a single.
where did you get on and off?

LT02 NVV

Second attempt as apparently I missed out a link.
According to bustimes long term absent 33920 is back on the road on the 60 today.

Sourced from here https://bustimes.org/vehicles/fgla-33920
I think it’s ticket machine is in another bus, but I’m not sure, as I haven’t seen anyone else take a photo of it yet.

Taken from another forum. ADL have revealed their new E100EV and E400EVs. I must say the new generation E400EVs look much smarter than current ones and more practical. They seem to resemble the MMC design which I am a huge fan of.

With the B9TLs ageing - I’m hopeful Glasgow will order a big batch of these soon. Given Glasgow seem to be trying to standardise the fleet it would be interesting to see them order some E100EVs for Lanarkshire local services which could also see off the Streetlites.
Yeah, I think with the success of the batches of previous EV Electric buses, First Glasgow will probably get more of them for their services, as they did state that all buses will be electric by 2035.

Also, adding on to the the other point you’ve made, I’d say that the B9TLs will be gone by either 2024 at the earliest or 2025 at the latest, with some hopefully going for preservation.

Last edited:

ScotRail158725

Established Member
I think it’s ticket machine is in another bus, but I’m not sure, as I haven’t seen anyone else take a photo of it yet.
It's out. I saw it in person the other day.

Yeah, I think with the success of the batches of previous EV Electric buses, First Glasgow will probably get more of them for their services, as they did state that all buses will be electric by 2035.

Also, adding on to the the other point you’ve made, I’d say that the B9TLs will be gone by either 2024 at the earliest or 2025 at the latest, with some hopefully going for preservation.
The B9TLs are Euro 6 so there's no rush to get rid of them, especially the refurbished ones as most of those are still in quite a decent nick.

Last edited by a moderator:

JumpinTrainz

Established Member
I imagine when the B9TLs start being withdrawn it’ll be a gradual thing since they range from 2007-2009.

The oldest B7TLs were about 19 when they were withdrawn which I think will be a similar case for the B9TLs, however I imagine in terms of trying to standardise the fleet and speed up the switch to electric - more B9TLs will no doubt go South.

Last edited:

TheGrandWazoo

Veteran Member
Somerset with international travel (e.g. across th
I imagine when the B9TLs start being withdrawn it’ll be a gradual thing since they range from 2007-2009.

The oldest B7TLs were about 19 when they were withdrawn which I think will be a similar case for the B9TLs, however I imagine in terms of trying to standardise the fleet and speed up the switch to electric - more B9TLs will no doubt go South.
Perhaps also worth noting that there are plenty of OpCos south of the border that won't have electrical infrastructure and would welcome some modern cascades. Already seen Berkshire received some e400mmcs (and Essex/Wales got some slightly older ones). No guarantee that the oldest vehicles will be leaving first.

JumpinTrainz

Established Member
Perhaps also worth noting that there are plenty of OpCos south of the border that won't have electrical infrastructure and would welcome some modern cascades. Already seen Berkshire received some e400mmcs (and Essex/Wales got some slightly older ones). No guarantee that the oldest vehicles will be leaving first.
Correct. I wouldn’t be surprised if Glasgow were to lose their E200MMCs or Streetlites if more depots go electric now that Scotstoun is complete.