• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Football

JD2168

Humiliating for Birmingham & the new owners. Wanting no fear football when Wayne Rooney took charge with disastrous consequences. They had some misfortune with Tony Mowbray’s mystery illness & left Mark Venus in charge too long before appointing Garry Rowett to take charge until the end of the season.

Blackburn survived mainly through Sammie Szmodics. If they lose him in the summer then it could be tough next year, same with Plymouth if the likes of Morgan Whittaker leave.

Well done to Ipswich for getting promoted after 22 years out of the top flight & in a back to back promotion after coming up from League One.

If Danny Rohl was in charge at the start of the season with Sheffield Wednesday they would be solidly in mid table.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

bearhugger

Pleased that Stockton Town FC won today against Dunston on the playoff final in Northern Premier League East Division to gain promotion into the Northern Premier League.
The game went to penalties after a 4-4 score line after extra time, we saved Dunston's 1st and scored all our 5.

Xenophon PCDGS

Veteran Member
Pleased that Stockton Town FC won today against Dunston on the playoff final in Northern Premier League East Division to gain promotion into the Northern Premier League.
The game went to penalties after a 4-4 score line after extra time, we saved Dunston's 1st and scored all our 5.
Looking forward to your matches against Hyde United next season in the Premier Division.

Northern Premier League - Premier Division Play-off Final

Macclesfield 1 ... Marine 2

Attendance : 5,329. Marine will now play next season in the National League North.

Last edited:

JD2168

Bromley will play in the EFL League 2 next season after beating Solihull Moors at Wembley.

David Moyes will leave West Ham at the end of the season. Julen Lopetegui is the favourite to replace him.

75A

Established Member
Watching Palace demolish Man Utd they're 4-0 up with over 20 minutes to go.

Bromley will play in the EFL League 2 next season after beating Solihull Moors at Wembley.

David Moyes will leave West Ham at the end of the season. Julen Lopetegui is the favourite to replace him.
Braintree will be in the National League after winning 4-3 @ Worthing

Howardh

Established Member
Think even Brighton fans will applaud Palace tonight!

Well, under their breath!

1D54

Think even Brighton fans will applaud Palace tonight!

Well, under their breath!
Why? The usual hatred of Man Utd, it surely can't be for any European aspirations that Brighton hold, they expired weeks ago.

SJL2020

Why? The usual hatred of Man Utd, it surely can't be for any European aspirations that Brighton hold, they expired weeks ago.
No, he's saying that because Palace and Brighton fans have a history of rivalry/bad feeling.

Howardh

Established Member
No, he's saying that because Palace and Brighton fans have a history of rivalry/bad feeling.

Indeed. I was in a Brighton pub and learned that they aren't the best of pals, although I pleaded that my soft spot for Palace was because my uncle Stan once played for them and took me to some of the games when he retired!! To an outsider it looks a strange rivalry considering the distance between, allowing for them being more-or-less on the same road/rail, but there are others throughout the leagues such as Bolton/Tranmere which to the outsider are puzzling but there is reason!

As for Old Trafford, yes, there are parts where fans get saturated even though it's not raining as the roof's in a state; along with other issues.
Is that the reason why that new personage wants to build a new stadium elsewhere?

Last edited:

Haywain

Veteran Member
The Brighton/Palace rivalry seems to go back to the 1970s or 1980s, but I have no idea whether Brighton really had any other local rival - I can imagine there might have been some dislike of Portsmouth but that would be diluted as Pompey are far more concerned about Southampton.

Howardh

Established Member
The Brighton/Palace rivalry seems to go back to the 1970s or 1980s, but I have no idea whether Brighton really had any other local rival - I can imagine there might have been some dislike of Portsmouth but that would be diluted as Pompey are far more concerned about Southampton.
Carlisle, being so far from any other club, maybe with the exception of Workington when in the league, once had a song (still do??) "No-one hates us, we don't care" and were pleading for another club to "hate" them for the sake of a bit of rivalry!

I would have thought, although never in the same league (Scotland/England) they would have disliked the Gretna of years ago which was developed on "monopoly money" by a rich investor which then went bankrupt and demised. Happily there is a "new" Gretna (2008)!

Gretna Football Club 2008 (commonly referred to as Gretna 2008 and colloquially as Gretna) is a football club from the town of Gretna. It is the phoenix club of Gretna FC., and was founded in 2008 after the bankruptcy and demise of Gretna, which had existed since 1946. Gretna 2008 is not a direct continuation of the old club, being under a completely different management and set-up;[2] the club trades under the name Gretna FC 2008 Ltd to avoid confusion with the old Gretna.

Xenophon PCDGS

Veteran Member
Carlisle, being so far from any other club, maybe with the exception of Workington when in the league, once had a song (still do??) "No-one hates us, we don't care" and were pleading for another club to "hate" them for the sake of a bit of rivalry!
An old-time Manchester City "true sky-blue" fan once told me of a chant to the tune of a piece by Elgar(?) that was once sung at their old ground at Mains Road....

"We hate Nottingham Forest.
We hate Sunderland, too,
We hate Man United,
But City we love you"

75A

Established Member
Some of it started when Brighton turned the Palace chant of Eagles, Eagles into Seagulls, Seagulls. At the time Brighton's nickname was The Dolphins.
Pompey fans never really thought of Brighton as being anything to be concerned about, putting them on a par with Aldershot, Bournmouth and the like as far as disliking them. S...hampton on the other hand are a different matter.

Howardh

Established Member
An old-time Manchester City "true sky-blue" fan once told me of a chant to the tune of a piece by Elgar(?) that was once sung at their old ground at Mains Road....

"We hate Nottingham Forest.
We hate Sunderland, too,
We hate Man United,
But City we love you"

While the common thought nowadays is "everyone hates Man U" - for a variety or reasons but for me they are local rivals hoovering up all the armchair "fans" who could be going to their local clubs instead, and that applies to City too nowadays I suppose - that wasn't always the case. After the Munich disaster MU played Bolton in the Cup Final and MU got the sympathy vote from all but Bolton fans - according to my mum who went to the Final (with me inside, 5 months from birth, what a sneaky way to smuggle a kid into a game!). Think, also, MU were a lot of fans' "second team" when Best, Law, Charlton were playing, was that the case, and if so, when and why did it all "go wrong"?

Living in Bolton - although not being a Bolton fan myself - I understand the local rivalry (big team down the road) but why would others feel that way? Is it because they appear to attract fans from nowhere near the city?

Haywain

Veteran Member
Some of it started when Brighton turned the Palace chant of Eagles, Eagles into Seagulls, Seagulls.
That would suggest there was already a rivalry as the Eagles nickname only dates from the early to mid 1970s. Before that Palace were the Glaziers (not to be confused with the current Manchester United owners) and Brighton were the Albion.

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member
While the common thought nowadays is "everyone hates Man U" - for a variety or reasons but for me they are local rivals hoovering up all the armchair "fans" who could be going to their local clubs instead, and that applies to City too nowadays I suppose - that wasn't always the case. After the Munich disaster MU played Bolton in the Cup Final and MU got the sympathy vote from all but Bolton fans - according to my mum who went to the Final (with me inside, 5 months from birth, what a sneaky way to smuggle a kid into a game!). Think, also, MU were a lot of fans' "second team" when Best, Law, Charlton were playing, was that the case, and if so, when and why did it all "go wrong"?

Living in Bolton - although not being a Bolton fan myself - I understand the local rivalry (big team down the road) but why would others feel that way? Is it because they appear to attract fans from nowhere near the city?
There's an element of the media and of casual football fandom that seems to treat Manchester United as a sort of "class apart" from the rest of the game, and it's this attitude that gets under the skin of many. That they were the obvious choice of "glory hunting" fans during the 1990s also doesn't help... nor does some of the reaction from United fans. Many seem convinced that it's something in particular about their club that attracts the ire, rather than it just being the same reaction that Liverpool had in the 1980s and Chelsea in the 2000s. There's something peculiarly English about that tendency to root for the "underdog".

Then there were the so-called celebrity "fans" who declared themselves Manchester United supporters despite having little or no link to Manchester. Patrick Kielty and Angus Deayton being the ones that spring immediately to mind.

Howardh

Established Member
There's an element of the media and of casual football fandom that seems to treat Manchester United as a sort of "class apart" from the rest of the game, and it's this attitude that gets under the skin of many. That they were the obvious choice of "glory hunting" fans during the 1990s also doesn't help... nor does some of the reaction from United fans. Many seem convinced that it's something in particular about their club that attracts the ire, rather than it just being the same reaction that Liverpool had in the 1980s and Chelsea in the 2000s. There's something peculiarly English about that tendency to root for the "underdog".

Then there were the so-called celebrity "fans" who declared themselves Manchester United supporters despite having little or no link to Manchester. Patrick Kielty and Angus Deayton being the ones that spring immediately to mind.
Geoffrey Boycott. Proud Yorkshireman....supports Man U!!

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member
Geoffrey Boycott. Proud Yorkshireman....supports Man U!!
David Gedge of the band The Wedding Present is another. Born in Leeds but supports MUFC to the extent that one of his band's LPs was named George Best.

I can see the appeal in that case though, given the hometown option! ;)

Xenophon PCDGS

Veteran Member
One person deeply identified with Manchester was Matt Busby, but his playing career was with Manchester City whom he joined on a £5.00 a week contract on 11th February 1928 and played there until signing for Liverpool for £8,000 on 12th March 1936. The war years then intervened and then moving into club management, he became manager of Manchester United on 1st October 1945.

Manchester United were one of the few football clubs to have a calypso song dedicated to them.

SteveM70

Established Member
David Gedge of the band The Wedding Present is another. Born in Leeds but supports MUFC to the extent that one of his band's LPs was named George Best.

I can see the appeal in that case though, given the hometown option! ;)

Gedge moved to Middleton at a tender age and went to school there, which probably explains his support for Manchester United

Ted633

3-0 to Crawley Town against MK Dons in the league two play off semi final first leg last night. Hopefully will be enough to see Crawley to their first ever visit to Wembley.