• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Football

BlueFox

The BBC have recently updated their fixtures page, and it's taking some getting used to for a regular visitor... However it is easier to scroll through the dates than previously so should serve your purposes. The only caveat being that fixtures do get moved for TV, though usually with a fair bit of notice.

The BBC site only seems to show by date for a couple of weeks ahead.

A better site would be Soccerbase, which can show fixtures by date for any date where fixtures have been confirmed. You can also put in a date from the past to see results.

The url for the first match of the Prem season is
http://www.soccerbase.com/matches/results.sd?date=2017-08-11

Just adjust the date at the end of the url to see the date you want.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

trainophile

Established Member
Thanks, that looks excellent. That's what I wanted, a website where I could select a date and see everything that's being played that day.

Anyone know what happened to Statto?

sk688

Speaking of football , pretty amusing to see the Irish Herald use a picture of Stormzy ( instead of Lukaku ) on an article which was meant to be about Manchester United's signing of Romelu Lukaku , which is both funny , and offensive at the same time

J-2739

Established Member
Speaking of football , pretty amusing to see the Irish Herald use a picture of Stormzy ( instead of Lukaku ) on an article which was meant to be about Manchester United's signing of Romelu Lukaku , which is both funny , and offensive at the same time

He does look a bit like Stormzy though, lol...

bb21

Emeritus Moderator
If planning journeys around football fixtures, do be mindful that they can change for TV purposes throughout the season, although the first tranche of Premier League fixtures have already been chosen.

bb21

Emeritus Moderator
8-0 against a Conference North team, in a friendly.

Nothing to shout about. ;)

roversfan2001

Established Member
Goals are goals are goals. A few new signings and trialists bagged a few too, it was a very good performance no matter what division York are in. The coming season is looking very bright for us. :)

Sent from my HTC Desire 530 using Tapatalk

DarloRich

Veteran Member
preseason games are a total waste of time. I have seen us win the mall and get relegated and lose them all and get relegated ;)

Darlo have made a new signing: James Caton, a striker,who was at Dover last season and came to them via Blackpool, Shrewsbury Mansfield & Southport. He is only 23 but doesn't ever seem to have had a chance at any of his previous clubs.

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member
preseason games are a total waste of time. I have seen us win the mall and get relegated and lose them all and get relegated ;)

Darlo have made a new signing: James Caton, a striker,who was at Dover last season and came to them via Blackpool, Shrewsbury Mansfield & Southport. He is only 23 but doesn't ever seem to have had a chance at any of his previous clubs.

They're not a waste of time, but many people have ended up looking stupid by using results in pre-season to predict what will happen during the season. It's hard to switch off the desire to see your side win, even knowing that the results are irrelevant. So far this summer, we've beaten Accrington Stanley 1-0; beaten Bury 3-1; then lost 3-2 to SV Sandhausen- a small side newly promoted to Bundesliga 2, from a town whose entire population would fit inside the John Smiths Stadium with space to spare. Given that the coming season will be the toughest challenge in the history of the club, those results don't tell anyone all that much...

More important are the performances, and having been at the Bury game and having seen highlights of the others I have reason to be cautiously optimistic. In particular Tom Ince looks like he may be a key player for us in the Premier League, having scored in each of the games so far. The new signings seem to be gelling well with the existing squad, and already there are moments where you'd think they'd been working together for 2 years rather than 2 weeks. I now tentatively predict that Huddersfield Town will finish 15th this coming season.

J-2739

Established Member
Yeah, I'm not gonna pay attention to the pre-season matches as well. Barnsley recently won Coventry 3-1, and that's not saying much, since they are about to play in League 2!

(And yeah, I'm a Barnsley supporter lads, got my first season ticket to their home games today!)

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member
Yeah, I'm not gonna pay attention to the pre-season matches as well. Barnsley recently won Coventry 3-1, and that's not saying much, since they are about to play in League 2!

(And yeah, I'm a Barnsley supporter lads, got my first season ticket to their home games today!)

Will you be going to the Huddersfield friendly at Oakwell then? I may do, just depends on how I feel on the day. When you've just had a successful season, pre-season does have more appeal!

RichmondCommu

Established Member
More important are the performances, and having been at the Bury game and having seen highlights of the others I have reason to be cautiously optimistic. In particular Tom Ince looks like he may be a key player for us in the Premier League, having scored in each of the games so far. The new signings seem to be gelling well with the existing squad, and already there are moments where you'd think they'd been working together for 2 years rather than 2 weeks. I now tentatively predict that Huddersfield Town will finish 15th this coming season.

It will be interesting to see how Tom gets on in the Premier League. He has bags of talent, can score and create chances but at times his work rate for us was abysmal. He was also too fond of throwing his arms in the air and blaming others, at least some of the time.

Last edited:

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member
It will be interesting to see how Tom gets on in the Premier League. He has bags of talent, can score and create chances but at times his work rate for us was abysmal. He was also too fond of throwing his arms in the air and blaming others, at least some of the time.

When we were initially linked with him, I did have question marks over how I perceived his attitude- I assumed that he was likely very much his father's son, with an ego to match. Having seen his performances so far and heard his interviews I feel I was being unfair. Most of all though, David Wagner obviously rates him and feels he can add to the squad in terms of talent, and that he has the right work-ethic and attitude (something DW values highly) for what is going to be a tough season.

How do you feel about the coming season? I have no grudge with Derby but I do wonder what Jacob Butterfield thinks about how he refused to get on the team bus in August 2015 in order to force his move to Derby... How's that working out for you, Jacob? ;)

RichmondCommu

Established Member
When we were initially linked with him, I did have question marks over how I perceived his attitude- I assumed that he was likely very much his father's son, with an ego to match. Having seen his performances so far and heard his interviews I feel I was being unfair. Most of all though, David Wagner obviously rates him and feels he can add to the squad in terms of talent, and that he has the right work-ethic and attitude (something DW values highly) for what is going to be a tough season.

In all fairness that is why I was surprised that the Terriers were prepared to pay up to 11 million squid for him. I hope for you and Toms sake that David Wagner can change his attitude.

RichmondCommu

Established Member
How do you feel about the coming season? I have no grudge with Derby but I do wonder what Jacob Butterfield thinks about how he refused to get on the team bus in August 2015 in order to force his move to Derby... How's that working out for you, Jacob? ;)

If we could find someone to sign Jacob Butterfield I would be happy to see him go. I have no idea how the season will pan out but I'll be surprised if we finish in the top six. In all honesty DCFC know that myself and 25,000 other silly sods will turn up no matter how rubbish we are (and God knows we were rubbish for pretty much all season) so why try harder? That's certainly how it feels sometimes!

Last edited:

gnolife

Established Member

Oh, I regard pre-season as a very good indicator of how badly the season is going to go. Last season Alty got t**ted by no less than two goal margins in every friendly apart from one against opposition 4 divisions lower where we scraped a two-all draw. In all the friendlies we were playing teams in lower divisions (or the Welsh 2nd tier)

I also regard it as a good cheap way of scratching grounds that I wouldn't do otherwise, having done Bangor, Cefn Druids and Forest Green for less than I'd pay on the turnstile at some Evostik clubs for a league match

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member
In all fairness that is why I was surprised that the Terriers were prepared to pay up to 11 million squid for him. I hope for you and Toms sake that David Wagner can change his attitude.

When Wagner came in, he straight away introduced double training sessions every day. Only one player threw the toys out of the pram and that was James Vaughan. He'd had his injury troubles of course, but his complaint was not that his body couldn't take it- but that it was annoying to be stuck in M62 traffic at 6pm. Vaughan was quickly shipped out, having soured the high regard that Town fans had held him in. Wagner then introduced a policy that all playing staff needed to live reasonably close to Huddersfield, in part due to his training regime. Any new signings will have to buy into our system, including Ince.

Vaughan of course has just signed for Sunderland for £800k, so I assume he'll have to move house! If he can stay fit and cut out the occasional descent of red mist, he might be classed as a bargain by recent Championship standards.

If we could find someone to sign Jacob Butterfield I would be happy to see him go. I have no idea how the season will pan out but I'll be surprised if we finish in the top six. In all honesty DCFC know that myself and 25,000 other silly sods will turn up no matter how rubbish we are (and God knows we were rubbish for pretty much all season) so why try harder? That's certainly how it feels sometimes!

I imagine Butterfield is on a reasonable wage, so shipping him out might not be easy- could see Barnsley going for him if Derby are prepared to sell him at a loss, as he came through their youth system and they do have money from the likes of Villa and Wednesday raiding their best players!

Going back to when Wagner came in- many felt that Chris Powell was unlucky to be sacked when he was, and it was a surprise to most Town fans too... but attendances were falling and many fans were fed up of treading water at the bottom of the table.

Powell was and is both a gentleman and a talented coach, but in almost every pre-match interview he would cite our small budget almost as a pre-emptive excuse for the inevitable defeat. Admittedly I do, and indeed Wagner does mention this often- but in a very different way. Not as an excuse but as an extra motivational tactic.

Wagner alone is not the reason for our recent achievements though. Dean Hoyle had seen attendances falling, and as a fan was also aware of the economic reality of living in a place like Huddersfield. By using the extra TV money to subsidise season tickets and by completely overhauling the football side, he turned attendances of 11-12,000 into attendances of 20,000.

If Derby fans start to stay away in larger numbers, that's what will drive change. The same goes for clubs with greater problems than Huddersfield or Derby:- Blackburn, Blackpool and Charlton for example, though it helps if you have an owner who genuinely gives a fig about the club!

Last edited:

RichmondCommu

Established Member
I imagine Butterfield is on a reasonable wage, so shipping him out might not be easy- could see Barnsley going for him if Derby are prepared to sell him at a loss, as he came through their youth system and they do have money from the likes of Villa and Wednesday raiding their best players!

Getting rid of Jacob Butterfield is going to prove nigh on impossible because of his wages. The reason that Will Hughes was sold was to comply with the financial fair play rules; the club would have much rather got rid of Jacob Butterfield but no ones interested in buying him!

RichmondCommu

Established Member
If Derby fans start to stay away in larger numbers, that's what will drive change. The same goes for clubs with greater problems than Huddersfield or Derby:- Blackburn, Blackpool and Charlton for example, though it helps if you have an owner who genuinely gives a fig about the club!

In all fairness very few supporters have a problem with the owner Mel Morris and his financial commitment to the club. He's also Derbyshire lad and a lifelong supporter which of course counts for a lot. Its the acquisitions in recent seasons and their subsequent performances that's annoyed people, along with those who were responsible for signing them. Unless we were to get relegated I can't see our attendances dropping below 25,000 and our average attendance next season is likely to be around 28,000. The frustrating thing is a good start to the season and our average gate would be around 32,000.

Last edited:

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member
In all fairness very few supporters have a problem with the owner Mel Morris and his financial commitment to the club. He's also Derbyshire lad and a lifelong supporter which of course counts for a lot. Its the acquisitions in recent seasons and their subsequent performances that's annoyed people, along with those who were responsible for signing them. Unless we were to get relegated I can't see our attendances dropping below 25,000 and our average attendance next season is likely to be around 28,000.

Hoyle didn't get it right straight away either, we went through Ternent, Clark, Grayson, Robins and Powell before we found Wagner. If you were to get relegated next season you'd have real problems I imagine due to the wages the likes of Butterfield are on. I'd be hugely shocked if you were to go down though, in fact equally as surprised as I was that we got promoted!

Hoyle knew that throwing money at it would never get us promoted, so we tried something different. Now the game has changed and we can afford to throw money at staying up, but we'll have plans in place to deal with however the season ends. If FFP is an issue, it's because you've been overspending though.

Last edited:

BlueFox

He's going to love the twice daily car park that are the 3 roads into and out of sunderland then!!

That would only be a problem if Sunderland have the same unusual training schedule they have at Huddersfield.

Rush hour traffic isn't usually a problem for footballers if they're training at 'normal' times. They'll start after the morning rush and finish well before the evening one.

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member
That would only be a problem if Sunderland have the same unusual training schedule they have at Huddersfield.

Rush hour traffic isn't usually a problem for footballers if they're training at 'normal' times. They'll start after the morning rush and finish well before the evening one.

Being at Sunderland, he'll probably need to move from Merseyside regardless of his training schedule. I did watch an interview he gave to Bury's official YouTube channel after agreeing his move to Sunderland, and he did come across as if he was grateful for the kick-start that Bury have given his career. As I said, if he stays fit he may be the Championship bargain of the season because at the end of the day he knows where the goal is... even if he occasionally forgets which way his side are playing!

Darandio

Established Member
Live 'Emirates Cup' football this afternoon on the 'Quest' channel which I found a bit strange as a channel choice.

However, i'm a bit unsure about the commentary. New signing Lacazette has just equalised for Arsenal to which the commentator stated 'he's just paid back a huge chunk of his transfer fee there'.

It's a friendly.......

AlterEgo

Veteran Member
Live 'Emirates Cup' football this afternoon on the 'Quest' channel which I found a bit strange as a channel choice.

However, i'm a bit unsure about the commentary. New signing Lacazette has just equalised for Arsenal to which the commentator stated 'he's just paid back a huge chunk of his transfer fee there'.

It's a friendly.......

Top flight football in a nutshell.

1) Ridiculous hyperbole from the commentator.
2) Money money money: it's all about transfer fees and structured debt and whether a player "pays it back". Boring.

The game is on the precipice at the moment, financially. I hope it utterly implodes, worldwide.