• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Football

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

familyguy99

Oldham 0-2 Oxford

First game of season for Oldham and ended up like last season with defeat and no score from Latics. Oxford first goal look to be offside as Thomas look to be good two/three yards offside but Oxford did deserve they victory. I feel Oldham need three new players by end of months if they want to avoid battling relegation's again this season.

If your team lost today aleast it wasn't badly scoreline unlike Yeovil and Fort William results.

Luton 8 (Eight) Yeovil 2

Cove Rangers 8 (Eight) Fort William 0

SS4

Established Member
Time for us to kick off our season after almost everyone else has played but at least we're not behind on the pitch

J-2739

Established Member
3-1 to Bristol City. Not the best start, not even scoring in the first half. Maybe we will do better on our turf.

First game for for me next week, up against Ipswich. Can't wait! :)

Established Member
I'm not entirely impressed with our result today, I expect an improvement against QPR next week.

Xenophon PCDGS

Veteran Member

Not much improvement at Fort William, but the shock in the Highland League this season concerns Rothes FC who usually end on the wrong side of very heavy defeats, but the three league matches they have played so far are:-

Rothes FC 3...Strathspey Thistle 0

Fort William 3...Rothes FC 4

Rothes FC 2...Inverurie Loco 0

Iskra

Established Member
Bolton 2 Leeds 3

Good to get 3 points under our belt and a winning start in what was a pretty easy game marred by the giving away of two very stupid goals one of which was a penalty. Sadly, we also lost two players injured today, one of which is a dislocated shoulder so he's out for a while. There were however lots of positives so I'm looking forward to the rest of the season.

Iskra

Established Member
What do you think of your new owners?

Can't complain so far, they've splashed £20m on buying our ground back, we've signed 11 new players, they seem to be running the club with and for the fans rather than purely themselves. They are also doing their best to undo the damage from the Bates era and they seem sensible people. They also appear to understand that investment is required to get us to the promised land, but it will more than pay off if we do. This is the most positive Leeds fans have been since the premiership days and it shows, we've sold a record 18,000 season tickets this season, which is pretty good considering our prices.

12CSVT

Established Member
Oldham 0-2 Oxford

First game of season for Oldham and ended up like last season with defeat and no score from Latics. Oxford first goal look to be offside as Thomas look to be good two/three yards offside but Oxford did deserve they victory. I feel Oldham need three new players by end of months if they want to avoid battling relegation's again this season.

If your team lost today aleast it wasn't badly scoreline unlike Yeovil and Fort William results.

Luton 8 (Eight) Yeovil 2

At least the Yeovil and Fort William fans had a game to watch yesterday, unlike the fans of Chester City and Solihull Moors, whose game was postponed with less than 24 hours notice because it was discovered that Solihull's ground didn't have a valid safety certificate.

roversfan2001

Established Member
Rovers were in dire straits in the mid 1970s in the lower reaches of the old 3rd division before Howard Kendall revived the club.

Venky's could yet take us to new lows however.

I was basing it on our worst ever finish being 13th in the 3rd Division in 1973/74 (coincidentally, our first game in that season we also played Southend, though it was at Ewood and we won 1-0.)

I have found a website that has the league tables round-by-round so I can check if we have ever, ever been lower than 15th in the third tier (59th overall). :lol:

DarloRich

Veteran Member
Dover Athletic win at Hartlepool! Welcome to the National League :)

a super welcome to non league for the chimp chocking monkey murderers - well done Dover ;) 9 places between us and them now. They have gone from taunting that "we will never play you again" to a dawning realisation we could be in the same division next season. Mind the gap.

York City update: We are still rubbish
I warned you - tough league and being professional isnt any indicator of success.

Using a New Testament phrase..."And it came to pass"....

Salford City 0....Darlington 2

We have caught them early i think. They should win the league easily and if they don't their joint managers are for the chop asap.

Last edited:
Couldn't feel more chuffed as a Wolves fan: Saturday V Boro was something I won't forget in a long while, thanks to a 1-0 win and almost a full house! Also into Round 2 of the League Cup after 1-0 (we love that scoreline) against Yeovil.

In other and what I would say is horrendous news, The Guardian have reported that Sky look set to be announced to have retained EFL rights, for a rumoured and whooping £180 Million per year in a 3/5 year contract. ITV look to have won back the highlights from Channel 5.

DarloRich

Veteran Member
Couldn't feel more chuffed as a Wolves fan: Saturday V Boro was something I won't forget in a long while, thanks to a 1-0 win and almost a full house! Also into Round 2 of the League Cup after 1-0 (we love that scoreline) against Yeovil.

In other and what I would say is horrendous news, The Guardian have reported that Sky look set to be announced to have retained EFL rights, for a rumoured and whooping £180 Million per year in a 3/5 year contract. ITV look to have won back the highlights from Channel 5.

lets see how Wolves new fancy dan foreign imports cope with Burton, Barnsley, or Millwall away on a cold February night..........................

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member

ITV or C5? Hmmm, that's a bit like "Would you like your cat poo sandwich as a toastie or a panini?". Another reason to hope we can avoid the drop (against pretty much everyone's expectations including my own, at times) and stay in the Moneyball League.

How is that £180m split between EFL clubs? Even though my own team may fall foul of it, it might be an idea to use the EFL TV money to level the playing field between those 2nd tier clubs in receipt of parachute payments and those who aren't. Effectively teams in receipt of parachute payments would receive a smaller proportion of the EFL TV money, with the other teams receiving a greater proportion as a result.

SS4

Established Member
ITV or C5? Hmmm, that's a bit like "Would you like your cat poo sandwich as a toastie or a panini?"

Channel 5's football coverage is actually pretty good and I'll go out on a limb and say it's better than the BBC. I feel that the latter have gotten complacent with MotD being a household name more than ever and have let their coverage slide. You will soon see how much disdain they have for anyone except the traditional top six teams soon enough

As for Sky holding the EFL rights it's kind of sad how we couldn't get more games free to air but Sky's coverage is decent and having access to nowTV passes is nice for watching the odd game.

Back to matters on the lake pitch we are making hard work of this game and I'm concerned we'll find a way to mess up - we're practically experts at it!

DarloRich

Veteran Member
Darlington 4 v Gainsborough Trinity 3 last night

God we made hard work of it. 3-1 up at half time before falling back to 3-3. Our defending is still terrible, especially from crosses

SteveP29

As for Sky holding the EFL rights it's kind of sad how we couldn't get more games free to air but Sky's coverage is decent and having access to nowTV passes is nice for watching the odd game.

Slightly off topic but:

We ditched Sky during the off season, were paying over £100 a month for Broadband, phone and TV.

Switched to BT for the broadband and phone (and got a faster fibre service than Sky could ever hope for), bought a Now TV box (£15 with 3 months Entertainment)and a Freesat recorder box (500Gb, £179.99) and took out Entertainment and Sports monthly passes .

We also received a £125 prepaid card from BT for joining them, so the Now TV and Freesat boxes cost £70. In 3 months, we'll have paid for them both as we're saving about £25 a month having it this way.

The only downside is that we have to switch between HDMI inputs to watch something on either box.
Picture on both is amazing, we had HD on sky at one point but dropped it to have faster broadband, the now and freesat SD channels seem to be somewhere in the middle between SD and HD

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member
Decent warmup game, just concentrating on the league, you remember the championship :lol:

12 months ago, a modestly sized Championship club went out of the League Cup to an even more modestly sized lower division club. In 48* hours, that same club will be about to make their debut on Match of the Day...

*=more like 49 hours, as we'll inevitably be on last!