• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Jet2 orders more planes

Snow1964

Established Member
Jet2 has placed orders for 35 A320neo planes with 180 seats

This is in addition to the multiple orders over last 12 months for the longer A321neo

Doesn’t give a delivery schedule, but I expect these new orders will be 2027 or 2028

I am guessing they will be used on less busy holiday flights, and I think there are a few Greek islands where the runways are fairly short so probably not easy to take off with a full A321

Jet2 plc is pleased to announce that to meet the future anticipated growth of its Leisure Travel business and to refresh its existing aircraft fleet, the Company has entered into an agreement with Airbus to purchase 35 new firm ordered Airbus A320 neo aircraft with the ability for this to extend to up to 71 aircraft.

The firm ordered aircraft deliveries stretch over three years until 2031 and at base price represent a total value of approximately $3.9 billion, with a total transaction value for up to 71 aircraft of approximately $8.0 billion, though the Company has negotiated significant discounts from the base price.

This order, which is in addition to the A321 neo aircraft orders announced in 2021, means Jet2 now has a total of 98 firm ordered aircraft, which could eventually extend to up to 146 aircraft.

The Company will retain flexibility in determining the most favourable method of financing the aircraft, which will be through a combination of internal resources and debt.

Toulouse, 18 October 2022 – Jet2.com has placed an incremental order for 35 A320neo aircraft taking its total commitment to the Family to 98 aircraft.

The A320neos will be configured for 180 seats with an Airspace cabin featuring innovative lighting, new seating products and 60 percent larger overhead baggage bins for added personal storage....
Jet2 still has some aging Boeing 757s that will probably be first to be replaced.

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

YorkshireBear

Established Member
Just coming to post this.

Jet2 continues its transition to Airbus, Airbus must have offered them a really good deal considering the age of some Jet2 737s unless they will temporarily become a duel manufacturer airline (I know they are now but it does increase costs for a company that tries to keep low fares).

Also it is a statement of intent and confidence in their business model which is good to see for a British airlines, on top of today's announcement regarding Loganair returning to profit.

dosxuk

Established Member
Jet2 still has some aging Boeing 757s that will probably be first to be replaced.

There isn't really any replacement for the 757's capabilities - and they're especially useful on some of the Greek island routes where they have sufficient power to deal with the short runways, even with a full load. I wouldn't be surprised to see them keep hold of a few for a while yet.

YorkshireBear

Established Member
There isn't really any replacement for the 757's capabilities - and they're especially useful on some of the Greek island routes where they have sufficient power to deal with the short runways, even with a full load. I wouldn't be surprised to see them keep hold of a few for a while yet.
So the A321s not fill that gap or does the 757 have more power?

dosxuk

Established Member
So the A321s not fill that gap or does the 757 have more power?

The 757 is ridiculously overpowered compared to it's size and competitors - all of Jet2's examples are the higher power RB211 engined ones, rated to 40000lbf per engine. A brand new A321neo will have around 29000lbf per engine. With roughly the same number of passengers depending on cabin configuration.

For years Boeing have been talking about the "NMA" - New Midsize Aircraft - which would be for around the size of the 757 - between the larger 737 variants and the smaller 787 variants, however it keeps getting postponed amidst discussion about how big a market it really is. For several operators though it means they're clinging on to the 757 as there's nothing else which does what it can do.

It’s not just the engine power.
The 757 has a very large, high lift wing, which gives it the impressive field performance.

gabrielhj07

I imagine Jet2 will retire the 737-300s before the 757s, despite their younger age. Simpleflying reports that the B733 will be retired sometime next year for replacement with the new Airbus types. It would make a lot more sense for capacity to hold on to the 75s for as long as possible.

WestCoast

Established Member
Just coming to post this.

Jet2 continues its transition to Airbus, Airbus must have offered them a really good deal considering the age of some Jet2 737s unless they will temporarily become a duel manufacturer airline (I know they are now but it does increase costs for a company that tries to keep low fares).

Certainly, although it does seem airlines are spreading their risk as well, even Ryanair has a partly Airbus fleet now with Lauda and they chose to lease more for that part of the group rather than deploy 737s. It’s also noted that IAG plans to introduce 737s MAX alongside A320s at BA/Aer Lingus/Vueling.

cactustwirly

Established Member
Jet2 has taken delivery of it's first A321Neo registered G-SUNB.

It's fitted with Acro Series 9 seats which look worse than the Recaro Slimlines other airlines use.

Should be a massive upgrade over the ancient 757s they are replacing

jackot

Jet2 has taken delivery of it's first A321Neo registered G-SUNB.

It's fitted with Acro Series 9 seats which look worse than the Recaro Slimlines other airlines use.

Should be a massive upgrade over the ancient 757s they are replacing
Funny how it is in the Jet2 'Holidays' allegiant-esque livery; I was of the impression that the whole fleet would be in their newer (and objectively nicer) silver livery. I believe some of the later deliveries will get that livery though. Also surprising how they chose not to adopt the black cockpit mask.

I must say, those Acro seats do look particularly bad!

westv

Established Member
I like the Jet2 aeroplanes that have the row in the middle that consists of just 2 seats either side of the aisle rather than 3.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
I like the Jet2 aeroplanes that have the row in the middle that consists of just 2 seats either side of the aisle rather than 3.

That's a fairly standard Boeing exit row layout. I prefer the window seat of the row behind as it has infinite legroom.

They just look like airplane fainsa Sophia's

I've not come across a plane seat that had the base support shape issue these have, though.

cactustwirly

Established Member
That's a fairly standard Boeing exit row layout. I prefer the window seat of the row behind as it has infinite legroom.

I've not come across a plane seat that had the base support shape issue these have, though.

I've never seen this. Although I spend a disproportionate amount of time flying A320s

I know the BA 321s (mostly Gatwick based now) have this as well but not the 321Neos

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
I've never seen this. Although I spend a disproportionate amount of time flying A320s

I know the BA 321s (mostly Gatwick based now) have this as well but not the 321Neos

Some Wizz 321s have it too. All easyJet 737s did, but only on one side - it was a single row on the right (facing forwards) with cavernous legroom, the left had the row of 2.

I think it was because the layout of the older 737s wasn't really designed for exit rows getting extra space, which was a later thing influenced by the British Airtours Manchester fire.

Tetchytyke

Veteran Member
How do they compare to the pinnacle seats fitted to older BA 320s?
Swings and roundabouts, they’re slimline seats so they’re not as sturdy and they don’t recline, but as they’re slimline seats so you get more legroom. I’m not a huge fan of the Pinnacle seat though, the headrest is annoying as I’m tall.

I’ve used Jet2 for my holidays to Ibiza for years and they’re fine for the 3 hours or so from northern England.

Jet2 don’t completely take the mick on seat pitch though. I note BA are putting the Recaros in at a 29” pitch, which is worse than EasyJet.

cactustwirly

Established Member
Swings and roundabouts, they’re slimline seats so they’re not as sturdy and they don’t recline, but as they’re slimline seats so you get more legroom. I’m not a huge fan of the Pinnacle seat though, the headrest is annoying as I’m tall.

I’ve used Jet2 for my holidays to Ibiza for years and they’re fine for the 3 hours or so from northern England.

Jet2 don’t completely take the mick on seat pitch though. I note BA are putting the Recaros in at a 29” pitch, which is worse than EasyJet.
Jet2 have a 180 seat layout on their 320s so it should be the same seats pitch as BA

william.martin

On Moderation
So are these a320/a321 going to replace the current a321's, the 757's, 737/300 and the a330's?
The order doesn't seem large enough to replace the 737/800 fleet.

cactustwirly

Established Member
So are these a320/a321 going to replace the current a321's, the 757's, 737/300 and the a330's?
The order doesn't seem large enough to replace the 737/800 fleet.
The A321s are staying and the A330s are wet leased.

It's mostly to replace the 757s and the older 737s

william.martin

On Moderation
G-SUNB has been doing its first passenger flights lately, does anybody know when the next one will be accepted?

Irascible

Established Member
I know someone just starting at J2 on the 737, so they're not looking to drop them anytime soon.

Peter Mugridge

Veteran Member
G-SUNC & D haven't been built yet
G-SUND has been built but not yet delivered; there's a picture of it here:

Interesting that G-SUNC has an earlier line number but D appears to have been rolled out first.

william.martin

On Moderation
G-SUNC & D haven't been built yet
G-SUND has been built but not yet delivered; there's a picture of it here:

Interesting that G-SUNC has an earlier line number but D appears to have been rolled out first.
What happened to G-SUNA?

gabrielhj07

GSUNB has just landed at GCTS I see, just one week into service. I had the option of flying on her today but I chose the A330 instead.