• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Jet2 orders more planes

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Snow1964

Established Member
The A321s are staying and the A330s are wet leased.

It's mostly to replace the 757s and the older 737s
The 757s are going to be replaced by the earlier order of A321neos, not replaced by this order.

The A321neos have 232 seats, similar to 757s 235 seats

There are only 8 757s, they are old, 3 of them have had 35th birthday, with the first A321neos now arriving, likelihood of some 757s going after summer season.

There are only 7 (and one of those is out of use) 737-300, they are all 24-27 years old, and only have 148 seats, which is lot less than most of their planes

My understanding is the 6 A321 (older version) will be leaving, but not until about 3-5 years time, more because they will be non-standard and about 15 years old by then.

There are 3 A330s, one leased ex Portugal, and the other pair are convertible from Tankers and ultimately belong to RAF, and could be called back if RAF need them.

cactustwirly

Established Member
The 757s are going to be replaced by the earlier order of A321neos, not replaced by this order.

There are only 8 757s, they are old, 3 of them have had 35th birthday, with the first A321neos now arriving, likelihood of some 757s going after summer season.

There are only 7 (and one of those is out of use) 737-300, they are all 24-27 years old, and only have 148 seats, which is lot less than most of their planes

My understanding is the 6 A321 (older version) will be leaving, but not until about 3-5 years time, more because they will be non-standard and about 15 years old by then.

There are 3 A330s, one leased ex Portugal, and the other pair are convertible from Tankers and ultimately belong to RAF, and could be called back if RAF need them.
At least 2 of the A321s are wet leased from Titan anyway

mpthomson

The 330s actually belong to AirTanker, which also leases 330s to the RAF under a PFI contract. It's a consortium of Babcock, Airbus, Cobham, Rolls Royce and Thales. The two Jet2 examples come from a microfleet of 5 aircraft with civilian registrations within the overall fleet of 15 and made available to generate money for AirTanker whilst two of the others provide the South Atlantic airbridge flying to Mount Pleasant from Brize Norton. They wouldn't be called up immediately, only if the RAF suffered losses within the core MRTT fleet and have never been fitted out as refuelling aircraft.

Last edited:

william.martin

On Moderation
G-SUNC is out and about now, I wonder if the arrival of these will mean that older a321's can move away from Manchester or are they still needed?

cactustwirly

Established Member
G-SUNC is out and about now, I wonder if the arrival of these will mean that older a321's can move away from Manchester or are they still needed?
They will need to train cabin crew and pilots on Airbus.
That's not a trivial task, it makes sense to concentrate the A321s at Manchester, where they have A32x crew, for at least the short term

They still have 757s operating out of Manchester anyway

thejuggler

A321s operate out if Birmingham so that may be an option, but summer schedules are now already set so unlikely there will be changes in the short term.

I was on one of Jet2s venerable 737-300s last night, always good to go on a classic, but it was suffering cabin aircon and heating issues and the rear of the cabin was stifling.

mpthomson

A321s operate out if Birmingham so that may be an option, but summer schedules are now already set so unlikely there will be changes in the short term.

I was on one of Jet2s venerable 737-300s last night, always good to go on a classic, but it was suffering cabin aircon and heating issues and the rear of the cabin was stifling.
The 300s and the 757s are the next to be retired, they are getting a bit leggy now!

ld0595

I thought Jet2 retired their 737-300s. Seems like I was mistaken - learn something new every day!

thejuggler

The majority of trips are above 2 hours.

Most scheduled for about 3 hours - Spain, Portugal, Italy, Adriatic, with occasional longer trips to Greek Islands.

william.martin

On Moderation
G-SUNC has now started operations from Birmingham and G-SUND has started operations from Manchester, G-SUNC is reportedly missing a few vinyls however it did have a few days break last week where they may of been applied. If I see it on FR24 as coming into Lanzarote I will be able to sit on my balcony and (not joking) watch the passengers wave at me and I will let you know if the vinyls are present.

westv

Established Member

Most scheduled for about 3 hours - Spain, Portugal, Italy, Adriatic, with occasional longer trips to Greek Islands.
Are there any trips under 2 hours from LB?

william.martin

On Moderation
Are there any trips under 2 hours from LB?

You know what I mean, they are not sending them on Leeds to the Canaries or Cyprus which are generally 4hr+

When are we expecting the first a320 NEO to arrive and where will they be based as they wouldn't be big enough to cover the 737-800's or certainly 757's? Maybe this could mean that whenever the a320's arrive they will replace the 737-300's from Leeds Bradford immediately?

cactustwirly

Established Member
You know what I mean, they are not sending them on Leeds to the Canaries or Cyprus which are generally 4hr+

When are we expecting the first a320 NEO to arrive and where will they be based as they wouldn't be big enough to cover the 737-800's or certainly 757's? Maybe this could mean that whenever the a320's arrive they will replace the 737-300's from Leeds Bradford immediately?
Much later, Airbus have a backlog of orders.

I would imagine they are replacing the older 737-800s.

mpthomson

The 320 Neos aren't due until 2028. The 300s and 757s are both being replaced by the 321 Neos, with the 757s starting to be withdrawn later this year/ early next and all gone by 2026.

william.martin

On Moderation
A bit of an update... With 5 a321neo aircraft having entered service (G-SUNE made its maiden voyage today) G-SUND has moved its base to Birmingham today, according to a jet2 pilot I met in Tenerife duty free yesterday the reason for it moving to Birmingham is so that 2 737-800's can start training pilots for landing at Liverpool which jet2 shall be starting flights from at some point in 2024.

YorkRailFan

On Moderation
Jet2 converts 12 options into firm orders for the A320neo.
Jet2 has firmed up orders for 12 more Airbus A320neo aircraft, taking its total A320neo/A321neo family order book to 110 aircraft.Jet2 has exercised options for 12 more Airbus A320neo aircraft, bringing its total firm orders for the A320neo and A321neo to 110 units.
Jet2's decision to add more Airbus aircraft is driven by its sustainability strategy.
The group's financial performance in H1 2023 was strong, with significant revenue and profits, but it anticipates losses in H2 2023.
Jet2 has exercised its options for 12 more Airbus A320neo aircraft, with the group citing its sustainability strategy as one of the reasons why it added more firm orders for the aircraft family during H1 2023. According to the leisure travel group, its firm orders for A320neo and A321neo aircraft now stand at 110 unitsExtending a previous order
Jet2 first ordered Airbus aircraft in August 2021, when the group purchased 36 A321neos as a potential replacement for its aging Boeing 757 aircraft. At the time, the company also had 60 options for the aircraft, with Jet2 also noting “significant discounts from the list price.” The 36 aircraft were scheduled for delivery between 2023 and 2028. Not long after, the United Kingdom (UK)-based company returned for more Airbus aircraft, adding 35 Airbus A320neos to its backlog in October 2022.

Then, Jet2 detailed that deliveries “stretch over three years until 2031 and at base price represent a total value of approximately $3.9 billion, with a total transaction value for up to 71 aircraft of approximately $8.0 billion.” Once again, the company highlighted that it has “negotiated significant discounts from the base price.”.The order in October 2022 included rights to firm up options for up to 36 A320neo aircraft, part of which the company now exercised, according to its H1 2023 results announcement on November 23, 2023. Jet2 highlighted that the A320neo aircraft family has “reduced fuel consumption and resultant carbon emissions per seat, plus a much lower noise footprint against previous generation single aisle aircraft models and will enable Jet2.com and Jet2holidays to grow more sustainably.”
During 2023, the company took delivery of five Airbus A321neo aircraft. According to ch-aviation data, its first aircraft of the type arrived in March 2023, marking a monumental change in Jet2’s fleet composition since it was the first new Airbus aircraft that the company welcomed to its fleet. The group’s fleet has been dominated by Boeing 737 aircraft, most of which (85) are the 737-800 NextGeneration (NG) jets, while it also operates seven Boeing 737-300 Classics. In addition, Jet2 has eight Boeing 757-200 aircraft, whose average age is 33.1 years, ch-aviation data showed. It also has three Airbus A321ceos, which were delivered to the company from the now-bankrupt Thomas Cook, as well as a wet leased-in Airbus A330.Jet2’s financial performance
The group ended H1 2023 with £4.4 billion ($5.5 billion) of revenue, with an operating and net profit of £617 million ($774.3 million) and £496 million ($622.4 million), respectively. Commenting on the results, Jet2 noted that even if there were difficult economic conditions during the period, “the popularity, resilience and flexibility of our holiday products were reinforced, as we capitalised on sustained though later customer demand, in particular for our end-to-end package holidays, with pricing remaining robust.”However, Jet2 warned that it expected losses in H2 2023 as it continues to invest in its fleet and marketing to ensure the group optimizes its “pre-Summer 2024 forward booking position.” Furthermore, it has been hiring more to prepare for further expansion of its operations, including opening a new base at Liverpool John Lennon Airport (LPL). Overall, the group said that the current Summer 2024 seat capacity is at 17.1 million, 12% higher than the corresponding period a year prior, while bookings are “encouraging”, as average load factors are 2% higher than in Summer 2023.

I love Jet2 as they are one of the few airlines to fly out of my airport but I'm yet to fly on their A32neo, I will likely in the future.

Jamesrob637

Established Member
The Jet2 A330s are pretty decent, but I can't see Jet2 ordering a huge fleet when most destinations only justify them a few months a year.

cactustwirly

Established Member
Jet2 converts 12 options into firm orders for the A320neo.

I love Jet2 as they are one of the few airlines to fly out of my airport but I'm yet to fly on their A32neo, I will likely in the future.
Assuming your local airport is Leeds/Bradford, I imagine it will be a while before you see them.
The new planes have been centred around Manchester and Birmingham

YorkRailFan

On Moderation
Assuming your local airport is Leeds/Bradford, I imagine it will be a while before you see them.
Correct, although I don't usually use Leeds/Bradford, Manchester has more options.

westv

Established Member
Which is surprising considering LBA is its HQ

Snow1964

Established Member
A bit of an update... With 5 a321neo aircraft having entered service (G-SUNE made its maiden voyage today) G-SUND has moved its base to Birmingham today, according to a jet2 pilot I met in Tenerife duty free yesterday the reason for it moving to Birmingham is so that 2 737-800's can start training pilots for landing at Liverpool which jet2 shall be starting flights from at some point in 2024.
Todays financial announcement says will be 6 A321s delivered in next (2024) calendar year, following 5 already delivered.

thejuggler

A friend's daughter is cabin crew on Jet2 based in Leeds. They haven't started training on Airbus.

She was in the cockpit recently with an A321 parked next to them. She mentioned she had been on a A321 Neo to the US and he didn't believe her that a narrow body could make such a trip!

pug1

Which is surprising considering LBA is its HQ
They are unlikely to deploy the 321 neo to LBA, at least in the short term, due to performance limitations as a result of the way the company choose to operate them. The A320 NEO will however, when they do arrive.

Tetchytyke

Veteran Member
The Jet2 A330s are pretty decent, but I can't see Jet2 ordering a huge fleet when most destinations only justify them a few months a year.
The A330s are on long-term charter from AirTanker, they’re the ones ordered by the RAF but not needed.

Had the pleasure of the A330 and the A321neo when I went to Lanzarote last month. The A321neo is quiet but, with the way Jet2 have fitted it out, it is cramped. Worse than the B737. The A330 was lovely, but it was also barely half full.

Jamesrob637

Established Member
The A330s are on long-term charter from AirTanker, they’re the ones ordered by the RAF but not needed.

Had the pleasure of the A330 and the A321neo when I went to Lanzarote last month. The A321neo is quiet but, with the way Jet2 have fitted it out, it is cramped. Worse than the B737. The A330 was lovely, but it was also barely half full.

I did back from TFS on the A330, so almost the same distance/time. Loved it, especially as me and my wife were in a bay of 2. The 757 outbound was good too, but I think that's going to be my last 757 unless I get over to the USA and do one domestically there.