• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Landslip at Hatfield Colliery (near Doncaster) line to Hull/Scunthorpe now reopened.

Status
Not open for further replies.
This has been posted on the FTPE Facebook page this morning:

Nick Donovan, FTPE managing director said: “The damage caused by the spoil heap is extensive and Network Rail have advised us that the line will not be open for use until approximately the end of June. This is clearly not ideal for rail passengers and disruption to journeys is likely to be significant.

I think June is been rather optimistic to be honest

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

corin paul

Sidious

The NR route specification lists numerous planned improvements to Doncaster - Scunthorpe including:

CP4:
2013: Hatfield and Stainforth Junction - S&C Renewal
2014: Hatfield and Stainforth Junction - Easing the approach control
CP5:
2014-19: Doncaster - Scunthorpe: Journey Time Improvements

As there is effectively a 4 month 'free' possession on the route, could these works not be brought forward?

David

Established Member
Probably depends on what needs doing for each improvement. Seeing as S&C around Hatfield and Stainforth will need to be renewed or replaced following the land slip, I would assume that the improvements for Hatfield Jn would be done at the same time.

As for the journey time improvements, I'm not sure. All depends on what needs doing along the line.

IanXC

Emeritus Moderator
Network Rail said:
Selby Swing bridge is due for renewal this summer (28 July to 9 September). Network Rail teams are currently planning that this will go ahead as scheduled. In the event that the work at Stainforth is still underway this will limit the diversionary routes available to passenger services. Work is being carried out with the train operators to identify alternative arrangements during this time. Detailed information will be published as soon as it is confirmed.

So its seems that if some kind of service could be maintained (presumably some level of service could be provided via Knottingley) then both routes could be closed at the same time!

David

Established Member
Probably depends on what needs doing for each improvement. Seeing as S&C around Hatfield and Stainforth will need to be renewed or replaced following the land slip, I would assume that the improvements for Hatfield Jn would be done at the same time.

As for the journey time improvements, I'm not sure. All depends on what needs doing along the line.

Hmm .... I may be wrong here.I've just seen an article on the Scunthorpe Telegraph site where Network Rail are estimating the cost in the "tens of millions".

I presume if any other work gets done, it will depend on who picks up the tab for the line closure in the first place then

Xenophon PCDGS

Veteran Member
But am I right in thinking that it only needs to rain hard for one day and then movement would continue?

I had assumed that this very point that was intimated to in my recent posting would have been worthy enough of consideration by those forum members with a detailed knowledge of how the pre-existing colliery waste fluidity would react again in such circumstances and would have offered some learned posting input into that specific matter.

YorkshireBear

Established Member
I had assumed that this very point that was intimated to in my recent posting would have been worthy enough of consideration by those forum members with a detailed knowledge of how the pre-existing colliery waste fluidity would react again in such circumstances and would have offered some learned posting input into that specific matter.

No rain forecast for a week, hopefully they will be able to remove enough earth to stop any further movement before then.
However heavy rain will make it move again essentially which is now the major concern, as saturation will just lead to instability once again.

Basically hope they can work quick enough to get enough spoil moved before heavy rain comes.

Boothby97

Established Member
I think the sooner this gets sorted, the better.
Just had a mad journey from Cleethorpes to Leicester for this weekends GCR diesel gala. The coach got delayed in Grimsby by congestion and stupid taxis outside the station. Then there was an accident on the M180 resulting in two lanes being closed. Got to Doncaster 30 mins late so there were lots of unhappy people heading towards Sheffield (who like me) had missed there connection by minutes.

Thanks, Sam

corin paul

WNXX
TRACTION NEWS, FLEET DATA, WITHDRAWN & STORED LOCOMOTIVES UK are still showing timings for the Cleethorpes to Scotland as,

http://www.wnxx.com/times/index.htm
08/03/13-09/03/13 Winter West Highland Statesman
08/03/13 1Z57

Cleethorpes 0525
Grimsby Town 0531-0533
Stallingborough 0539
Habrough 0545-0547
Brocklesby Jn. 0549
Barnetby 0555-0557
Wrawby Jn 0559
Elsham 0601
Appleby Lc 0606
Scunthorpe 0613-0615
Thorne South 0630-0632
Thorne Jn 0635
Hatfield & Stainforth 0637
Applehurst Jn 0646
Skellow Jn 0652
Adwick Jn 0656
South Elmsall 0700-0702
South Kirkby Jn 0703
Hare Park Junction 0710
Crofton West Jn 0713

You would think, they would have more up to date info?

http://railphotoarchive.org/rpc_zoom.php?img=1364022013000

Tomnick

Established Member
Showing an 0633 departure in TRUST now, running via Brigg (with a stop), Gainsboro' Trent Jn and Doncaster (another stop).

Here is a picture i took, as you can see network rail have removed large sections of the track.

Edit- i cant understand why its rotated the picture sorry guys

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    130.5 KB · Views: 180
Last edited:

ainsworth74

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Maybe but that continues to assume that it has finished moving. I'd wait until they actually start moving earth off of the track before I'd suggest we're definitely moving the right direction.

IanXC

Emeritus Moderator
Maybe but that continues to assume that it has finished moving. I'd wait until they actually start moving earth off of the track before I'd suggest we're definitely moving the right direction.

Thats going to be some time yet. The first thing that has to be done is a new lagoon created on the colliery site, so that the toxic material pooled on the top of the heap next to the railway can be pumped out of the way.

ainsworth74

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Thats going to be some time yet. The first thing that has to be done is a new lagoon created on the colliery site, so that the toxic material pooled on the top of the heap next to the railway can be pumped out of the way.

Quite. Even if the heap has stopped moving I think June remains very optimistic.

IanXC

Emeritus Moderator
Quite. Even if the heap has stopped moving I think June remains very optimistic.

I'm not sure Network Rail would be talking about 16-18 weeks if they didn't have a good case for that being reasonably plausible. By all accounts the heap has now stopped moving.

Have you seen the video of Phil Verster's presentation on the landslip and the plan for reinstating the railway? Its part way down the page on this article http://www.thisisscunthorpe.co.uk/V...tory-18288622-detail/story.html#axzz2LxAV2Mfe

Whos going to foot the bill?
If it was my decision i would split the repair cost 50% network rail 50% hargreaves
What does everyone else think?

AndyPJG

Whos going to foot the bill?
If it was my decision i would split the repair cost 50% network rail 50% hargreaves
What does everyone else think?

Why should NR pay? 100% down to Hargreaves (and/or their insurers).

Edit: Also the colliery operators should be liable for NR's other costs, eg delay payments to TOCs, as well as the TOC's extra costs incurred like bus replacement.

Last edited:

ainsworth74

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Why should NR pay? 100% down to Hargreaves (and/or their insurers).

Very true! Unless Network Rail did something that helped to cause the disaster I don't see why they should have to pay a penny to put it right!

YorkshireBear

Established Member
The video presentation by network rail. Did i hear him say we will have 2 roads open within 3 weeks???????????

Shocked but pleased to hear that.

Xenophon PCDGS

Veteran Member
Very true! Unless Network Rail did something that helped to cause the disaster I don't see why they should have to pay a penny to put it right!

I remember but cannot now trace, an article unconnected to this forum that said the land where the large area of colliery waste is currently situated was once just farmland and that the only people who caused this colliery waste to be placed there were the mine operators themselves.

As such, I totally agree with what you state in the quote above.

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
The video presentation by network rail. Did i hear him say we will have 2 roads open within 3 weeks???????????

Shocked but pleased to hear that.

I think he was asked how long the track re installation would take, but in the context of what proportion of the overall time would involve normal track laying. So he meant starting about three weeks before the overall time of 16 - 18 weeks, not three weeks from when interviewed.

I notice in the video they want to move some of the soil into the valley in the colliery which is actually in fact the path i walked down so i hope they dont fill it

Status
Not open for further replies.