• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Landslip at Hatfield Colliery (near Doncaster) line to Hull/Scunthorpe now reopened.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sidious

In the context of Philip Elliott's post quoted by Sidious, I think that the "they" in Sidious' post is meant to refer to Hargreaves.
Ah yes, the penny drops. Apologies having re-read my post I can see that it appears I have said NR think they own the colliery. I meant that NR have stated that Hargreaves own the colliery. Thanks for clearing that up Zoidberg!

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

unlevel42

"Hargreaves" does not own Hatfield Colliery.

Powerfuel Mining Ltd went into administration in 2010.
The administrators KPMG created Hatfield Colliery Ltd. so that mining could continue.
The administrators sold Hatfield Colliery Ltd to ING-backed Entero B.V., a company registered in the Netherlands.

Hargreaves Services agreed a management contract to manage Hatfield Colliery -initially for one year but with options and incentives that might include equity.

D1009

Established Member
http://www.thisisscunthorpe.co.uk/V...tory-18288622-detail/story.html#axzz2LxAV2Mfe

Watching that video I was really impressed with the presentation technique.
I could not find a SINGLE fault with the way he got the message across.
Having just got round to watching it, it struck me that it must have been very hastily arranged, presumably held in an on-site portakabin, he was still wearing his helmet and high-vis coat and holding his gloves throughout, however the content was extremely interesting.

tbtc

Veteran Member
I don't know about the weather around Doncaster, but we've had a week or two of dry weather in this side of South Yorkshire with a fair bit of rain expected over the next week - I hope that any downpour doesn't shift this "spoil"...

David

Established Member
Apart from a lot of rain in the last 24-30* hours or so? I'm not sure.

* It's not been heave rain, but constant from some where between 1730-1900 on Friday night, and at the time of this post, it's still raining now. While at times it has been quite light rain, it hasn't, to the best of my knowledge stopped since it first started.

MCR247

Established Member
Yeah its been raining here to, so I was wondering if it had had any effect?

Xenophon PCDGS

Veteran Member
Will the current rainfall drainage into the two ground-level streams that are are supposed to be near the nose of the heave and more towards the inner section have any effect on the bottom fluidity layer of the colliery waste that overlies the land that is only said to be four metres above sea level which will still have retained much ground water.

YorkshireBear

Established Member
Drainage has improved significantly, whether this has worked remains to be seen. Any surface water pooling on top will most certainly have been drained quickly be the temporary drains i have seen on site.

Zoidberg

Established Member

Thanks for the pointer to the update.

For the benefit of those unable to use the link, an extract:

Stainforth landslip rail line to be closed until July

About one million cubic metres of collapsed spoil heap has to be removed before a railway line can be repaired, Network Rail has said.

The landslip at Stainforth's Hatfield Colliery, South Yorkshire, pushed the track upwards forcing the line to shut.

Network Rail said work by the colliery to remove the spoil heap from the line was "complex and will take some time".

Rail services between Doncaster, Scunthorpe and Cleethorpes are expected to be suspended until July.

The rail company had previously said the line would be closed until the end of June.

johnnychips

Established Member
Is anybody legally responsible for all the huge costs incurred by NR and TOCs, or is it an Act of God (too much rain and melting snow)?

AndyPJG

See earlier in this thread, not an act of God but a preventable incident. Colliery operators (/insurers) responsible I think as a retired Civil Eng.

YorkshireBear

Established Member
They have pumped water into the heap it would appear. Someone is going to be sued for everything theyve got.

johnnychips

Established Member
See earlier in this thread, not an act of God but a preventable incident. Colliery operators (/insurers) responsible I think as a retired Civil Eng.

Thanks. Sometimes very interesting or topical threads get so gigantic and fast-flowing you think you have read it all and you haven't.

AndyPJG

They have pumped water into the heap it would appear. Someone is going to be sued for everything theyve got.

Not so much pumped water onto it, but failed to make adequate drainage provision. Looks like the water has been allowed to accumulate on top rather than been drained away safely.

YorkshireBear

Established Member
Not so much pumped water onto it, but failed to make adequate drainage provision. Looks like the water has been allowed to accumulate on top rather than been drained away safely.

This is information I have been told and its a trusted source.

tjl599

i would have thought network rail and the tocs will want to reclaim costs that this incident has caused them.

Xenophon PCDGS

Veteran Member
I would have thought Network Rail and the TOCs will want to reclaim costs that this incident has caused them.

Will the Public Liability Insurance clause in the mine operators' insurance policy be deemed sufficient to meet these costs ? Noting the close proximity of the colliery waste that was stored by them to the line of the railway, they would have quite a problem in making the case that they were not negligent.

I went to Goole yesterday on the bus and passed Mount Hadfield, anyone who knows Derbyshire well will know that their was the A625 road that went from Sheffield to Chapel-en-le-Frith, in 1979 it closed due to a landslip and it just reminded me of that.

Xenophon PCDGS

Veteran Member
Anyone who knows Derbyshire well will know that there was the A625 road that went from Sheffield to Chapel-en-le-Frith, in 1979 it closed due to a landslip and it just reminded me of that.

Indeed this is so and occurred at the foot of Mam Tor, where the natural ground cover of that area on downward sloping areas was always known to be prone to slippage after periods of heavy rainfall, which is not an unusual occurrence on these hill areas.

brianthegiant

Why would someone wish to take this course of action ?
I'm no mining engineer, but I believe a lot of mines use pumps to remove water from shafts. depending on geology this water would be polluted with all manner of pollutants, so can't be pumped into/near watercourses, so it might be pumped into lagoons where at least the particulants would settle.

Xenophon PCDGS

Veteran Member
I'm no mining engineer, but I believe a lot of mines use pumps to remove water from shafts. depending on geology this water would be polluted with all manner of pollutants, so can't be pumped into/near watercourses, so it might be pumped into lagoons where at least the particulants would settle.

My posting was in response to a posting that said they were pumping water into the spoil heap itself, which is a somewhat different matter to the lagoons that would be established away from the area.

oddiesjack

With regards to Mam Tor, and its rotational landslide...
It is known locally as "shivering mountain", due to continuous slipping of the shale slopes.

Before local government reorganisation, Chapel-en-le-Frith Rural District Council kept a road roller and workman's van parked in a layby there permanently, so that any slip could fairly quickly be repaired by rolling in yet more tarmacadam.
However, responsibility for the A625 passed to Derbyshire County Council in the mid 1970s, and the "experts" in Matlock could not see the sense of keeping valuable assets in such a location, so they were taken elsewhere. Needless to say, next time there was a significant slip, by the time they had got there, it had moved again, so they gave up on it.

RM-Taylor

http://www.thisisgrimsby.co.uk/Extr...tory-18449705-detail/story.html#axzz2NtdYvPTJ

Not sure if this has already been posted in here.

In the article it says the FTPE have been given the go ahead by Network Rail to use the Brigg line to Sheffield and that drivers are currently learning the route.

Also it's good to see that they have increased the number of rail replacement buses running direct to Donny, although there's no mention if this will also run at the weekend - last Saturday it certainly didn't

brompton rail

http://www.thisisgrimsby.co.uk/Extr...tory-18449705-detail/story.html#axzz2NtdYvPTJ

Not sure if this has already been posted in here.

In the article it says the FTPE have been given the go ahead by Network Rail to use the Brigg line to Sheffield and that drivers are currently learning the route.

Also it's good to see that they have increased the number of rail replacement buses running direct to Donny, although there's no mention if this will also run at the weekend - last Saturday it certainly didn't

According to journey planner the through coaches run this Saturday too. The result is an approximately half hourly service from Doncaster to Cleethorpes - bus at xx.50 direct to Cleethorpes (connecting out of xx.37 arrival from Manchester) and xx.15 to Scunthorpe (which connects into train to Cleethorpes). Journey times are similar.

Not checked westbound or Sundays.

Spaceflower

Established Member
My posting was in response to a posting that said they were pumping water into the spoil heap itself, which is a somewhat different matter to the lagoons that would be established away from the area.

Sometimes water is sprayed onto spoil heaps to prevent dust, though I'm not sure if this is mostly applicable to landfill.

High Dyke

Established Member
According to journey planner the through coaches run this Saturday too. The result is an approximately half hourly service from Doncaster to Cleethorpes - bus at xx.50 direct to Cleethorpes (connecting out of xx.37 arrival from Manchester) and xx.15 to Scunthorpe (which connects into train to Cleethorpes). Journey times are similar.

Not checked westbound or Sundays.

Code:
[B]From Cleethorpes to Doncaster train station[/B]
Leave:5.05am and arrive: 6.40am
Leave: 6am and arrive: 7.35am
Leave: 8.55am and arrive: 10.30am
Leave: 10.55am and arrive: 12.30pm
Leave: 12.55pm and arrive: 2.30pm
Leave: 2.55pm and arrive: 4.30pm
Leave: 3.55pm and arrive: 5.30pm
Leave: 4.55pm and arrive: 6.30pm
Leave: 5.55pm and arrive: 7.30pm
Leave: 6.55pm and arrive: 8.30pm

The article doesn't make any reference to Sundays. However the TPE site shows an hourly service (no express buses) on Sundays. http://www.tpexpress.co.uk/media/266245/14_hatfieldlandslidemini_ufn2013.pdf

Status
Not open for further replies.