• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Leeds Station Improvement

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member
Can you comment on whether there are any spare units to strengthen the semi-fasts at least? I suppose it's progress if we get faster, more resilient journeys, but if no extra capacity is provided it's a lot of effort for not much output. And it's still not going to be great if after all this, you can't fit on the Hallam Stopper because it's full of Castleford commuters...
The obvious solution to that conundrum for passengers heading to points south of Wakefield, is to join the semi-fast and change onto the stopper at Kirkgate.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Iskra

Established Member
The obvious solution to that conundrum for passengers heading to points south of Wakefield, is to join the semi-fast and change onto the stopper at Kirkgate.
The semi-fasts also aren’t known for their capacity…

But, yes, I do usually get a semi-fast to Barnsley then stopper from there to Chapeltown.

I suppose between them, there is always a back up option.

Going Northwards from Sheffield, I have been left behind by XC and a Northern semi-fast before finally getting on the stopper all the way to Leeds…

Last edited:

yorksrob

Veteran Member
It's a shame they couldn't put proper seats on platform 1/0, rather than those ridiculous perch things.

Dr Hoo

Established Member
It's a shame they couldn't put proper seats on platform 1/0, rather than those ridiculous perch things.
Do people often have to wait for significant periods on those (terminal) platforms?
Obviously alighting passengers will move towards the station core. Whenever I’ve departed from those platforms it’s been a case of walking up to a train with doors already released. I suppose that there might be odd case of waiting for a join/split operation to be completed.

yorksrob

Veteran Member
Do people often have to wait for significant periods on those (terminal) platforms?
Obviously alighting passengers will move towards the station core. Whenever I’ve departed from those platforms it’s been a case of walking up to a train with doors already released. I suppose that there might be odd case of waiting for a join/split operation to be completed.

It's quite often for the train to be there, but for people to be waiting for it to be unlocked. This often happens when another train is sharing the platform.

Ken H

On Moderation
Can be a bit of a wait for a Carlisle or a Lancaster/Morecambe

xotGD

Established Member
Thanks.

The availability of breakfast burritos sounds appealing!
So much for getting a breakfast burrito on the way to work - the place isn't open at 8.30.

Why have a breakfast menu, but stay closed when commuters want to buy breakfast?

1D53

Established Member
The Burrito place are short staffed at present hence the late opening, it's being worked on.
Rumours of another retailer opening in the old Subway unit later in the year..

YorksLad12

Established Member
The Burrito place are short staffed at present hence the late opening, it's being worked on.
Blimey, that's been closed ages now. Think of the lost rent! I always thought it would be better if the entrance to the car parks was moved there, and the existing entrance turned into something (even if only a Wetherspoon's extension or larger beer 'garden').

class 9

It's quite often for the train to be there, but for people to be waiting for it to be unlocked. This often happens when another train is sharing the platform.
You wait longer than in years gone by, as Northen services don't seem to open the train doors till about a minute before departure!!!

Hopefully a Greggs!

Adam0984

You wait longer than in years gone by, as Northen services don't seem to open the train doors till about a minute before departure!!!

Hopefully a Greggs!
There was talk of Greggs but rumours were that some of the other outlets (SSP owned) objected because they'd vastly undercut their prices even if Greggs was selling at the top price bracket like service station pricing

GoneSouth

There was talk of Greggs but rumours were that some of the other outlets (SSP owned) objected because they'd vastly undercut their prices even if Greggs was selling at the top price bracket like service station pricing
Sounds like we’re being ripped off as usual. I won’t buy food at stations because of disgraceful attitudes like that.

They’ll undermine the huge profits we’re gouging so let’s put a stop to it, even if it’s in the interests of passengers.

It’s not that I’m a huge Greggs fan, but paying top dollar for soggy sandwiches from Pret is even less appealing!

class 9

The Greggs at Derby Station is run by SSP.

wilbers

Sounds like we’re being ripped off as usual. I won’t buy food at stations because of disgraceful attitudes like that.

They’ll undermine the huge profits we’re gouging so let’s put a stop to it, even if it’s in the interests of passengers.

It’s not that I’m a huge Greggs fan, but paying top dollar for soggy sandwiches from Pret is even less appealing!

Not all food at stations is at ramped up prices - for example Sainsbury's at Manchester Piccadilly and Newcastle is at normal Sainsbury prices (or if its marked up more than a typical Sainsbury its not by a noticeable amount). Greggs in Newcastle station has higher prices, but the one opposite the station is normal prices (so no prizes for guessing which one I will buy from, and which one I won't).

Backroom_boy

Not all food at stations is at ramped up prices - for example Sainsbury's at Manchester Piccadilly and Newcastle is at normal Sainsbury prices (or if its marked up more than a typical Sainsbury its not by a noticeable amount). Greggs in Newcastle station has higher prices, but the one opposite the station is normal prices (so no prizes for guessing which one I will buy from, and which one I won't).
Sainsbury's (and probably it's competitors) price their goods based on the floor area of the shop; so the smaller the shop the higher the prices.

yorksrob

Veteran Member

Indeed. This is noticed on a cold morning !

The one at Man Vic seems to be doing ok - although it did seem pricey for a Greggs

TBF, Maccy's is fairly similar to normal pricing, so if the competition can survive that, they've got a good chance.