• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Northern Class 331 East:West unit swap

jonnyfan

Well I'm booked on 2H21 on Monday morning, so let's see what turns up...
That service is booked as a 333 from this Monday onwards, so there should be lots more room for everyone!

All the 3-car 331s on the triangle are booked on services to & from Bradford FS all day, apart from some early morning and later evening services where they'll venture on Leeds to Skipton and Leeds to Ilkley routes.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Harvey B

Just taking a cursory glance at the Dec 23 timetables via RTT, there still seems to be plenty of interworking across the three triangle lines. So it seems that it will still be possible for 3 car units to land on peak services if things don't go exactly to plan.
Will interworking still happen when 6 car workings start?

And will the 333s still do Leeds to Skipton/ilkley services or will they just run exclusively on Bradford services?

Jamesrob637

Established Member
Neville Hill to Allerton is currently half an hour late departing (and getting later, but with few other trains out today on Northern's network that's probably not a big issue).

Bantamzen

Established Member

And will the 333s still do Leeds to Skipton/ilkley services or will they just run exclusively on Bradford services?
I honestly don't know. I suspect for now it'll be a mix of 331/0s & 333s on the Aire & Wharfe services, with some 331/0s working Doncaster.

InkyScrolls

Unrelated but does anyone know what is a good route for going on a Class 333 at fast speeds? Think there are some sections between Leeds and Skipton possibly?
Alternatively there are two trains in each direction, SuO, between Leeds and Skipton that call at only the 'express' stops, e.g. Skipton-Keighley-Bingley-Shipley-Leeds. In my experience most drivers try pushing the 333s as hard as they can between Skipton and Keighley as it's pretty rare to travel non-stop between them; my record time for a service passenger train was on the 1030 Skipton to Leeds: 32 mins on the dot.

Harvey B

Alternatively there are two trains in each direction, SuO, between Leeds and Skipton that call at only the 'express' stops, e.g. Skipton-Keighley-Bingley-Shipley-Leeds. In my experience most drivers try pushing the 333s as hard as they can between Skipton and Keighley as it's pretty rare to travel non-stop between them; my record time for a service passenger train was on the 1030 Skipton to Leeds: 32 mins on the dot.
What are the Two trains in each Direction?

Neptune

Established Member

Yes once the 6 car workings start there will still be 333’s on the Leeds - Skipton/Ilkley route.

As a rule of thumb, what is booked for a 3 car 331 in the new timetable will become 333 when 6 car working starts. The 333 diagrams in the Dec 23 timetable will become either 6 car 331 or remain 333.

Jamesrob637

Established Member
Yes once the 6 car workings start there will still be 333’s on the Leeds - Skipton/Ilkley route.

As a rule of thumb, what is booked for a 3 car 331 in the new timetable will become 333 when 6 car working starts. The 333 diagrams in the Dec 23 timetable will become either 6 car 331 or remain 333.

So a gain at best and a remain at worst for those

darylyates17

This afternoon's drag has still not departed Neville Hill yet. I don't know what's going on, but I support there's no rush given Northern and TPE are on strike.

Just five, two set to go over this afternoon.
So likely they'll be just a couple short from the 10th

superkev

Established Member
This afternoon's drag has still not departed Neville Hill yet. I don't know what's going on, but I support there's no rush given Northern and TPE are on strike.

Just five, two set to go over this afternoon.
I believe 3 car 331007 is still at Allerton awaiting transfer
What farse the transfer of a few units across the pennines has looked to be. Must have cost a fortune.
K

Last edited:

skyhigh

Established Member
108 has failed so won't go.
107 is currently being attended to by CAF.

reecestrains

The loco is heading back by itself for Allerton now. If it's still doing Skipton tomorrow, then it'll be 101 going over to Allerton with 007 coming to Skipton.

There'll still be 4 units at Neville Hill to be moved... 106, 107, 108 and 112.

jonesy3001

Established Member
The loco is heading back by itself for Allerton now. If it's still doing Skipton tomorrow, then it'll be 101 going over to Allerton with 007 coming to Skipton.

There'll still be 4 units at Neville Hill to be moved... 106, 107, 108 and 112.
Apparently had brake problems at huddersfield, do ROG only have 37s to move trains about?
Going to be fun on Monday if they can't swap units before then.

reecestrains

The loco is now headed back towards Derby. If they don't get another out before tomorrow, the Skipton run will be cancelled.

There's still five 331/1's to get North West and one 331/0 to Yorkshire.

Evolution

Would be quicker to take them down the ECML to London and up the WCML at this rate!

Before anyway says, I’m know they aren’t route cleared!

Evolution

This is the issue, the ROG drivers would need to be trained and they'd need clearence to go through London or Edinburgh.
If ROG drivers sign the route they could route conduct someone who signs the traction, that isn’t the issue. Route clearance would be. It won’t happen anyway.

I know the 331’s well having signed and driven them at one point and rarely had coupling issues with the 331/0. Looks like a loco issue from the outside.

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member
Yep, the loco has broken down at Huddersfield! Oh my word, what is this turning into?
The loco is now headed back towards Derby. If they don't get another out before tomorrow, the Skipton run will be cancelled.

There's still five 331/1's to get North West and one 331/0 to Yorkshire.
Presumably headed back to Derby without the unit in tow? What's happened to the unit then? Dumped into the sidings at Huddersfield?