• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Nottinghamshire & Derbyshire Bus News

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Trainman40083

My point exactly.
Interesting. I just noticed a thing on Twitter. A woman said her 06.30, 6.1 from Bakewell to Derby didn't run, and the next ran late. First bus said to have broken down (never left Matlock depot). She was over an hour late for work. I well know, many employers won't stand for that for long. Let's say, if they were looking to get rid of staff. So over time, that passenger has to seek alternatives, that may well involve driving a car. Trentbarton standard answer seems.to be "Get a taxi, we will pay". But in many places like Bakewell, Wirksworth and the like the chances of getting a taxi are near ZERO. TB social media staff must live in a City, where there are plenty of taxis. Maybe they own taxi companies. Once a passenger walks away, they won't be back.

edwin_m

Veteran Member
Maybe, also for Nottingham parking in the city is expensive so parking and getting the tram would probably be cheaper. Getting the bus from park and ride still costs the user to park whereas using the tram is free.
The bus park and ride sites are free to park and £6 on the bus for up to five people. The tram park and ride sites are free to park and you pay normal fares on the tram. So they are similar, but a bit of an incentive for people to drive further than necessary - for example five adults in a car would be much cheaper at one of the bus sites.

bringiton

The bus park and ride sites are free to park and £6 on the bus for up to five people. The tram park and ride sites are free to park and you pay normal fares on the tram. So they are similar, but a bit of an incentive for people to drive further than necessary - for example five adults in a car would be much cheaper at one of the bus sites.
Oh, I thought it meant 6 pound to park there, never mind then

Trainman40083

I hope not, I use cash for bus fares almost all the time these days.

This is obviously not going to be sustainable. They'll bankrupt themselves if they don't get their act together.
Interesting about how people pay for their bus fares. There was a tweet from Mayoral candidate Claire Ward that got a response from a certain Managing Director. He might think it,.but from my point of few, tapping off got an awful lot more difficult. And if you are not sure if you are going to be overcharged, maybe you just buy a ticket (problem solved ) .

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240422-200724.png
    Screenshot_20240422-200724.png
    1,005.1 KB · Views: 81

Skymonster

Established Member
Pre-COVID, in Derby my experience was that Arriva could often be a complete basket case while TB was much more robust. At that time I wished the bus route nearest where I lived was TB. Now, Arriva seems to have got its act together and is usually pretty solid - I can’t remember the last time a service I wanted to use didn’t show at all. But TB often seems to be hopeless, especially the Sixes - three no-shows on a return trip when I went to Belper on Tuesday, and so if I’m using public transport I now prefer the train despite the hourly frequency because I don’t trust TB. Same with Derby-Nottingham, as I refuse to pay the Red Arrow premium when its likely to involve missing services and standard buses - plus, XC 10-minute Advances can often be had for £1.60 each way offpeak with a railcard, making the train cheaper anyway. Sure EMR / XC are not perfect either, but the train companies and Arriva seem to be head and shoulders above TB at the moment. When the TB operation falls apart, the staff at the coal face are usually not up to speed nor know what’s happening - ah how I remember the good old days when I lived in Nottingham and every NCT vehicle had a driver radio! Adding to the misery, some time ago TB dropped the very useful daily list of cancelled services from Facebook and Twitter and pushed customers to the [poor substitute] Hugo app - cynics would say to cover up a mass of adverse evidence.

I can’t be alone in my thinking - actually I know I’m not as I chat to other frustrated would-be passengers - but I find the current state of TB’s operation around Derby to be sad, annoying and bizarre. Every time I see the slogan “the really good bus company” these days I actually think it should say “the really crap bus company”. How the mighty have fallen. Sure, I’ve read of driver shortages, vehicle shortages, engineer shortages, parts shortages… Excuses, excuses: Arriva seems to be faring better. So are TB’s problems rooted in arrogance, complacency, managerial incompetence or something else? I dunno but it needs fixing, and quickly, before the nose-dive becomes even more damaging.

====

Footnote: today I had a Wayfarer trip out visiting Sheffield (camera shop, beer), Bakewell (Thornbridge Tap Room, beer) and Belper (beer). I had all day available, so going against what I thought might be my better judgement I saved a few bob and did it all by bus using Arriva 2, TB Comet, Stagecoach X17, TM 218, High Peak Trans Peak twice, and Arriva 2. Everything ran to time - I seem to have dodged a bullet avoiding the yet again missing TB Sixes - although only the Comet I used was anything close to well loaded despite several legs being at what I would normally consider likely to be busy times (i.e. just ahead of and after school and normal office hours). I was particularly surprised the Trans Peaks weren’t that busy given the AWOL Sixes, but maybe that’s just indicative of a modal shift away from TB to trains and/or cars.

Last edited:

tram21

Yep but if you go to Nottingham you'll see the excellence that is Trentbarton over here: reliable services, friendly drivers, well presented buses. I have to say I do often see the same in Derby, but service cancellations are definitely more prevalent in Derby.
This thread definitely shows the negative side, and there is most certainly a positive side.

bringiton

Yep but if you go to Nottingham you'll see the excellence that is Trentbarton over here: reliable services, friendly drivers, well presented buses. I have to say I do often see the same in Derby, but service cancellations are definitely more prevalent in Derby.
This thread definitely shows the negative side, and there is most certainly a positive side.
I agree, notts and sutton seem to be aiding derby and langley, but you could argue they have simpler fleets to maintain

Skymonster

Established Member
I’m pleased for you that the Nottingham services are better. I can only speak for what I find and in my opinon Derby has been pretty abysmal recently - in particular referring to the Sixes, Nines, Comet and Red Arrow. Another example from a few days ago: two successive early morning northbound Sixes no-show (not cancelled on the App, just don’t turn up) then a Solo rocks up for the 6.1 Bakewell which is the peak service for school kids going to Duffield. Because of the backlog it was full and standing from Derby with plenty of passengers left behind at stops en route. Anyone who asked the driver what was happening just got “No idea, I just do as I’m told.” Not good enough TB: not good enough for workers, not good enough for school children, not a good enough staff attitude. Sadly this is not unusual for the Sixes at the moment.

ChrisC

Established Member
Nottingham and Sutton do seem to be very reliable in recent months but they have also been through bad times. For example the Threes were terribly unreliable with many cancellations before the new buses arrived. Before TrentBarton gave up on the 141 it had become so unreliable that people really had given up using it. In addition to the 141, TB gave up running the Amberline leaving places like Eastwood and Langley Mill with no direct bus to Derby. I do wonder now having lost its evening service if the 90 will be the next to go.

As a regular user of the 141, I felt quite sad when TB gave up running it after so many years, as I would much rather support a smaller local company than Stagecoach. However, Stagecoach Mansfield are making quite a good job of running the 141 and the passengers are returning. Timekeeping at times is not always that good, often caused by heavy traffic at peak times, but at least the buses do turn up. I’ve been on some journeys on the 141 recently where the loadings have been better than I have seen for many years. I do miss TrentBarton’s friendly drivers and wish that some of the Stagecoach drivers could be as friendly and at least smile.

On the subject of paying by cash. My experience is that especially on routes through some of the less affluent areas, like the ex mining areas around Mansfield, many people are paying the £2 fares using cash. Paying £2 by cash with the correct money requiring no change is very quick, and certainly does not hold the bus up anywhere near as much as all those paying by phone who don’t have their phone ready for payment.

Last edited:

m79900

I’m pleased for you that the Nottingham services are better. I can only speak for what I find and in my opinon Derby has been pretty abysmal recently - in particular referring to the Sixes, Nines, Comet and Red Arrow. Another example from a few days ago: two successive early morning northbound Sixes no-show (not cancelled on the App, just don’t turn up) then a Solo rocks up for the 6.1 Bakewell which is the peak service for school kids going to Duffield. Because of the backlog it was full and standing from Derby with plenty of passengers left behind at stops en route. Anyone who asked the driver what was happening just got “No idea, I just do as I’m told.” Not good enough TB: not good enough for workers, not good enough for school children, not a good enough staff attitude. Sadly this is not unusual for the Sixes at the moment.
That's odd, becuase at the minute Trent seem to insist on putting Versas and Volvos on the little sixes, just becuase they fit round the new route, but this is never busy. Why they couldn't've done a switch, I don't know.

florence

I think the large bus allocation on the little sixes is probably due to the Volvos being better suited to climbing Cromford Hill, remember anything that works a 6.1 also interworks with the other sizes, but a little sixes will always stay on the route for the full day and therefore will be more likely to break down... That's my theory anyway.

Trainman40083

Well, there has been a wide range of views there. I have to say, that despite owning a car, I do like travelling by bus, but Trentbarton no.. Yet they run yards from my house. I cannot even remember the last time I went for any non Trentbarton service, and it has not turned up. That includes Hulleys, High Peak, Stagecoach, Arriva, NCT and Notts and Derby, and they are the recent examples...Now I walked into Derby today, and met a guy I knew on Kedleston Road heading for Allestree.. He had stuck his hand out for the bus, and the bus sailed by. I told him that there was only 2 out of 4 buses running and the other way just leaving Allestree heading into Derby. Over time, more and more people discount the bus as a mode of travel, but likewise the 114 service picks up more business, as does the TransPeak. I noted a message exchange earlier when TB spoke of delays on the Red Arrow. Balderdash. Six out of nine services running, is NOT delays. That said, I keep seeing RA coaches lined up in the depot. 827 had escaped RA for the Sixes today. I accept Nottingham does a better job, but I'm sure they have buses and only work at peak on various routes. Maybe a starting point would be for the social media staff to tell the truth. Most of them seem incapable of that at the moment, but I guess they are given crib sheets of what to say...Some responses seem like recorded messages. I share the view that all they come up with, is excuses. Certainly not solutions. Maybe revenue and profit (at Trent) is on the floor...Maybe 29 new Enviros will improve things, but will former passengers return? Maybe not, if they prefer their alternatives.

tram21

will former passengers return? Maybe not, if they prefer their alternatives.
It's very easy to think this way, but if you look back at the past and how often things have gone wrong for every mode of transport... but people will always come back to what is the best, and people forget past experiences very quickly in my opinion.

I also think there are many people who would never dream of getting a bus, but people who would will always come back. And there's always new passengers, new opportunities and to be totally honest the majority of passengers on buses are on there because they don't want to drive, can't or its the faster, cheaper option. For any of these reasons they will always keep trying the bus, maybe even if they go back to driving for a month or two. People soon get fed up of driving, parking etc, and anyone who would never think of buses never will anyway.

bringiton

I also think there are many people who would never dream of getting a bus, but people who would will always come back. And there's always new passengers, new opportunities and to be totally honest the majority of passengers on buses are on there because they don't want to drive, can't or its the faster, cheaper option. For any of these reasons they will always keep trying the bus, maybe even if they go back to driving for a month or two. People soon get fed up of driving, parking etc, and anyone who would never think of buses never will anyway.
Can't forget the students either who have to get the bus and wouldn't have much choice for any other way

Established Member
Glad to hear that it is all nice over in Notts. Yes I agree the drivers are friendly and buses are well presented but most importantly I would like a reliable service which is what Arriva, Midland Classic/Diamond etc are more or less able to do every day. Looking at the villager for example, today 740 is off the road and 701 only managed until 0830. With no spares and both missing diagrams next to each other causing 90 min gaps in what should be a 30 min service.

joieman

Skylink 128 (YX67 VFF) has re-entered service.
Seen in Loughborough:

Attachments

• 20240423154519_IMG_3063.JPG
    20240423154519_IMG_3063.JPG
    5.7 MB · Views: 40

JD2168

TM Travel repainted ex Lothian Enviro 400 SN61 BBO was involved in an accident at Crystal Peaks bus station yesterday evening which demolished a number of bus shelters. It has resulted in the bus station being closed & buses stopping on various nearby roads.

zakky1.0

TM Travel repainted ex Lothian Enviro 400 SN61 BBO was involved in an accident at Crystal Peaks bus station yesterday evening which demolished a number of bus shelters. It has resulted in the bus station being closed & buses stopping on various nearby roads.
Any speculation on what happened? Medical episode?

Mikw

It is former Skylink Nottingham, due to the decreased PVR of dropping the Loughborough leg; it was going spare. Yellow Skylink needs more vehicles with their increased PVR so it made sense.
Thanks for the information. I saw a Versa (I think) on Skylink Derby today

Hyebone

Thanks for the information. I saw a Versa (I think) on Skylink Derby today
Yeah they increased the frequency of yellow skylink to every 15 minutes. On weekdays at the moment you'll see a mish mash of TrentBarton mangoes, Citaro 906, Solo 501 god forbid, and 107/108.

I'm really not sure what the plan is at the moment. Perhaps Mickleover 101-106 could get drafted in?

Last edited by a moderator:

tram21

Any speculation on what happened? Medical episode?
More information here, but nothing on why: https://www.thestar.co.uk/news/traf...sh-drama-which-devastated-interchange-4601730

A major Sheffield bus station remains closed today as details emerged of the dramatic bus crash which devastated the site last night.
Travel bosses closed the Crystal Peaks bus station on Peaks Mount yesterday, after one of TM Travel’s vehicles appeared to have crashed into bus shelters, effectively demolishing them. Pictures from the scene show glass and debris on the ground.

Hide Ad

The road was also closed for a period of time while emergency services dealt with the incident, and the bus was later towed away by a rescue vehicle

The South Yorkshire Mayoral Combined Authority has today issued a statement describing the incident, and confirming that the bus station remained closed today.

They said: “At around 6.30pm on Monday 22 April, a bus mounted the kerb and crashed into the bus shelters at Crystal Peaks Bus Station. No passengers were on the bus at the time and nobody was injured as a result of this incident.
"The bus station remains closed today (Tuesday, April 23). We are working with the site owners to arrange temporary facilities while repairs take place.”

They said they would keep customers updated on bus stop changes.

South Yorkshire Police and South Yorkshire Fire and Rescue Service also attended the incident, and both have issued statements.
The police said: “We were called yesterday (April 22) around 6.30pm to Crystal Peaks Bus Station, Peaks Mount, to reports of a single vehicle road traffic collision.
“It is reported that a bus was involved in a collision with a building. There were no injuries reported.

“Fire and police attended and the road was closed to allow for vehicle recovery and to clear the road.”
The fire service said it sent crews from Birley and Aston fire stations to the incident, and were on the scene until 7.04pm.
No comment has been available from TM Buses.

bringiton

Yeah they increased the frequency of yellow skylink to every 15 minutes. On weekdays at the moment you'll see a mish mash of TB mangoes, Citaro 906, Solo 501 god forbid, and 107/108.

I'm really not sure what the plan is at the moment. Perhaps mickleover 101-106 could get drafted in?
Fairly sure they have enough vehicles now, just VOR (vehicle off road) so they have the spares covering. I doubt the Mickleovers would transfer company.

Mugby

Established Member
Tuesday evening in Derby one of the Harlequin Solos was being used on The Mickleover. At least the livery was broadly similar!

Robertj21a

On Moderation
Yeah they increased the frequency of yellow skylink to every 15 minutes. On weekdays at the moment you'll see a mish mash of TrentBarton mangoes, Citaro 906, Solo 501 god forbid, and 107/108.

I'm really not sure what the plan is at the moment. Perhaps Mickleover 101-106 could get drafted in?
More interested in where the extra drivers have come from. Kinchbus still routinely cancels local services 5, 9 11 etc pretty well every day. I don't understand why they don't save their shredded reputation by dropping the frequency to something they can reliably achieve.

Trainman40083

More interested in where the extra drivers have come from. Kinchbus still routinely cancels local services 5, 9 11 etc pretty well every day. I don't understand why they don't save their shredded reputation by dropping the frequency to something they can reliably achieve.
Yes, but they are not going to cancel Skylinks, are they, cos it makes more profit

Glad to hear that it is all nice over in Notts. Yes I agree the drivers are friendly and buses are well presented but most importantly I would like a reliable service which is what Arriva, Midland Classic/Diamond etc are more or less able to do every day. Looking at the villager for example, today 740 is off the road and 701 only managed until 0830. With no spares and both missing diagrams next to each other causing 90 min gaps in what should be a 30 min service.
Villagers KJN and 740 certainly "not to be used" at Meadow Road this afternoon. But rest assured, other routes are suffering as well as Villager.

Teapot42

Limited confirmation of upcoming changes in Derbyshire from the DCC website.
The Hulleys 80 withdrawn, no replacement at the moment beyond the Royal Hospital, with the 84 returning between Holymoorside and said hospital. (Talk of a 120 extended to Killamarsh but nothing confirmed)
The 170 is being tweaked and now only every other one runs via Old Brampton. This will add a few minutes recovery time at the risk of greater delays during busy times as the cycle-upgraded traffic lights on Storrs Road don't seem to allow anything like the volume of traffic the old ones did.
The 257 has earlier and later journeys and a tweak to the route in Sheffield, serving Hallamshire Hospital rather than Western Bank.
The first 272 of the day from Castleton is cancelled and there are minor tweaks to the 55 timetable.

Timetables for these aren't yet online.

Stagecoach have tweaked a few services including the 1/1a, 49, 54, 66 and 90.
They've cut part of the 48 route to improve timekeeping, the section in question is great for photographers but I don't suppose ever gets any passengers.
The 65 also gets a change in route to Meadowhall.
Some X17s are re-routed between Chesterfield and Matlock.

Some of the Stagecoach changes have timetables online but not all.

The big change is the revised Peak Sightseer, now two routes.
One (Red) goes from Chatsworth to Bakewell and Ashford in the Water. This sounds like a variation on the original service missing out the section to Calver and Hassop.
The new one (Blue) goes to Baslow, Calver then up to Hathersage and on to Castleton. I'd imagine this will go via Surprise View rather than direct from Grindleford to Hathersage, partly due to the many low trees that way and partly due to the much better scenery that way. This sounds pretty much what the Breezer should have been.