• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Severn Valley Diesel Gala 2024 16th-19th May

birchesgreen

Established Member
I'm not pre-booking, as i have flexibility as to whether i can go thursday or friday (or indeed saturday if i enjoyed pain) so i'll just wait to see how the weather is...

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

norbitonflyer

Established Member
Conflicted

I could do it by rail

Go on the Thursday to ride with the 70
And on Saturday for the 59, (the 69 would be cutting it fine to catch a train back to Londion and the 70 would be out of the question)
And go to Swanage this weekend for their 69

But there is a "TBC" earlier on the Saturday, and who knows, the "Colas" has not been confirmed as NOT being a 70..........

Or I could drive there on the Saturday afternoon / evening and get all three. Just need to borrow a car.......

A revised timetable is available on the website.
I just hope those tight connections at Kidderminster are held because the way its written you have to risk them to get everything, I just hope a word is had to avoid lots of unhappy punters

birchesgreen

Established Member
I just hope those tight connections at Kidderminster are held because the way its written you have to risk them to get everything, I just hope a word is had to avoid lots of unhappy punters
Well i've been to quite a few SVR diesel galas, i think you'll need more than hope to be honest. The timetable is usually in chaos by about 10am.

Well i've been to quite a few SVR diesel galas, i think you'll need more than hope to be honest. The timetable is usually in chaos by about 10am.
That's very true but as the train has gotta wait to go Out in the same order,if they send it out to pass outside the station it really won't help the general timekeeping but it absolutely will upset the people that are paying for it

JonathanH

Veteran Member
That's very true but as the train has gotta wait to go Out in the same order,if they send it out to pass outside the station it really won't help the general timekeeping but it absolutely will upset the people that are paying for it
In many cases, the delays are caused by people making connections at Kidderminster, particularly if the departing train is already well loaded and difficult to accommodate more passengers.

matt

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Last year some of the connections were not held at Kidderminster if the departing train was full. I'd plan accordingly if you require to use your red pen.

norbitonflyer

Established Member
Last year some of the connections were not held at Kidderminster if the departing train was full. I'd plan accordingly if you require to use your red pen.
I was on one incoming at Bewdley with some unhappy punters who didn't make it across to a departure back north.

The revised timetable includes what were previously TBCs, (now a Western and the 59 on the Saturday, and a Western on the Sunday) and there is an additional morning run by the 69, but you still have to hang around until nearly 8pm on the Saturday before the class 70 comes out to play

birchesgreen

Established Member
You are probably better interchanging at Bewdley rather than Kidderminster Town. You won't get the tunnel thrash but it may be better if you want to get a certain loco.

JonathanH

Veteran Member
You are probably better interchanging at Bewdley rather than Kidderminster Town. You won't get the tunnel thrash but it may be better if you want to get a certain loco.
No use if the said locomotive only runs between Kidderminster and Bewdley in that direction.

Trainman40083

Conflicted

I could do it by rail

Go on the Thursday to ride with the 70
And on Saturday for the 59, (the 69 would be cutting it fine to catch a train back to Londion and the 70 would be out of the question)
And go to Swanage this weekend for their 69

But there is a "TBC" earlier on the Saturday, and who knows, the "Colas" has not been confirmed as NOT being a 70..........

Or I could drive there on the Saturday afternoon / evening and get all three. Just need to borrow a car.......
It will be interesting to see if a 69 makes Swanage. 69007 failed at Kensal Green on the way to Eastleigh this morning, and caused a wee bit of chaos. Now parked at Eastleigh. 69002 was said to be a replacement, but also had an issue.

HOOVER29

It will be interesting to see if a 69 makes Swanage. 69007 failed at Kensal Green on the way to Eastleigh this morning, and caused a wee bit of chaos. Now parked at Eastleigh. 69002 was said to be a replacement, but also had an issue.
I’d be quite happy for them to swap the 69 (plus half the other visiting exhibits) going to the SVR for 50021

Do they need 5 class 20’s there?

xotGD

Established Member
I’d be quite happy for them to swap the 69 (plus half the other visiting exhibits) going to the SVR for 50021

Do they need 5 class 20’s there?
You need to come up to the KWVR gala for Rodney. :D

Like the steam gala, a distinctly Western Region event.

norbitonflyer

Established Member
A special (STP) light engine move from Exeter to Eastleigh this morning is showing on OTT and RTT coded 0O69. Probably the replacement. (But that should be for another thread)

Bertie the bus

Established Member
How is the FL 70 going to work? I was under the impression Class 70s couldn't couple to stock because the ugly sticky out bits hit the corridor connection, and assumed if it was to couple to the DBSO that would be OK because it doesn't have one but if the DBSO hasn't been sent then presumably the TT will be amended to include a second loco inside the 70.

kje7812

Another coach is to be added, though it isn't non-passenger.
~~
Kidderminster Booking office will be open 1700-1900 if anyone wants to collect their wristbands early.

Last edited:

norbitonflyer

Established Member
I notice that the roster has been changed - what were the Colas loco's turns are now shown as being run by a mixture of class 20, 59,69 and 70.

Thursday - two runs by Class 70, one by class 20s (in addition to the two runs each were already scheduled to do)

Friday - all three runs by Class 69 (which had not previously been rostered for Friday at all)

Saturday - one run by class 69, one by class 70 (in addition to the two and one respectively already scheduled)

Sunday - one run by class 59 (in addition to the one already scheduled)

That's a good length - if they'd have brought the push pull set it would have been max 4 for the ETH I think.
See post No 10 - a Class 37/4 ETS index 30 could manage a five-coach push-pull set (ETH index 29)

One Mark 2a (ETS 4), three later Mark 2s (ETS 5) and a Mark 1 (ETS somewhere between 0 and 4) gives an ETH index of no more than 23
Another coach is to be added, though it isn't non-passenger.
Could it be a non-gangwayed vehicle, to allow coupling to the 70?

Last edited:

SuperLuke2334

Established Member
I notice that the roster has been changed - what were the Colas loco's turns are now shown as being run by a mixture of class 20, 59,69 and 70.

Thursday - two runs by Class 70, one by class 20s (in addition to the two runs each were already scheduled to do)

Friday - all three runs by Class 69 (which had not previously been rostered for Friday at all)

Saturday - one run by class 69, one by class 70 (in addition to the two and one respectively already scheduled)

Sunday - one run by class 59 (in addition to the one already scheduled)

See post No 10 - a Class 37/4 ETS index 30 could manage a five-coach push-pull set (ETH index 29)

One Mark 2a (ETS 4), three later Mark 2s (ETS 5) and a Mark 1 (ETS somewhere between 0 and 4) gives an ETH index of no more than 23

Could it be a non-gangwayed vehicle, to allow coupling to the 70?
Thanks for the correction.