• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Thameslink/ Class 700 Progress

Status
Not open for further replies.

Class377/5

Established Member
They're are no tight tunnels in the Thameslink Core, only single tunnels ate briefly City Thameslink and Smithfield Sidings.

The Class 700 are designed to contain the fire and provide fresh air to areas around the fire to allow passengers to breath.

The trains can be sectioned off into four car parts.

The investigation into 7/7 found the end parts of the carriages caused injuries by exploding into little pieces.

As for getting people off, I don't really see the issue compared with today where you have restricted movement carriages a crush loaded 377 not that different from a well loaded 700. The 700 atleast encoursges movement between the coaches to allow for more even loadings.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Bald Rick

Veteran Member
As part of the acceptance for the Class 378s, TfL and Bombardier had to evidence and document that the through gangway design was safer for passenger safety overall than previous designs. Which it clearly is, as the fire authorities signed it off. This principle is then used for future designs.

A question - in the 27 years of Class 319 operation, how many times have the cab end doors been used for passenger evacuation in a tunnel, and how many times has the loss of interlock on a cab end door caused an emergency brake application resulting in a train being stranded for several hours with result passenger safety issues?

Last edited:

A-driver

Established Member
As part of the acceptance for the Class 378s, TfL and Bombardier had to evidence and document that the through gangway design was safer for passenger safety overall than previous designs. Which it clearly is, as the fire authorities signed it off. This principle is then used for future designs.

A question - in the 27 years of Class 319 operation, how many times have the cab end doors been used for passenger evacuation in a tunnel, and how many times has the loss of interlock on a cab end door caused an emergency brake application resulting in a train being stranded for several hours with result passenger safety issues?

Is a cab end door interlocked on a 319 then? Cab end doors on 317s and 313s certainly are not.

Bald Rick

Veteran Member
Is a cab end door interlocked on a 319 then? Cab end doors on 317s and 313s certainly are not.

I may be corrected, but AIUI they are, or at least, were. I have certainly been on at least 6 services where we have come to a screeching halt with the driver explaining 'the end door has lost interlock'. One of which resulted in an extended stay in Elstree tunnel on a Friday night.

bengley

Established Member

A-driver

Established Member
I may be corrected, but AIUI they are, or at least, were. I have certainly been on at least 6 services where we have come to a screeching halt with the driver explaining 'the end door has lost interlock'. One of which resulted in an extended stay in Elstree tunnel on a Friday night.

Fair enough. Just can't see why they would need to be on the interlock. Been a while since I signed 319s and don't remember anything about that. Certainly not uncommon for nose end doors to fly open but as I say with 317/313 they arnt interlocked so having stopped and closed it you can carry on (well in the case of it opening in a tunnel at 100mph with a 115mph intercity flying at you in the opposite direction a minute to calm down is in order as well).

Yabbadabba

Loco and wagons are on the way back to the Tunnel
6Y66 departed here at 2109 Dollands Moor 0040

That's after we worked out by trial and error how the bloody slots worked.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    128.2 KB · Views: 204

Class377/5

Established Member
We've been advised 5 before Christmas then roughly 1 a week for the next two years.

Roughly yes. Tho there may be more deliveries this year but ramp up doesnt start straight up but tad slower. Think its Feb/March time for weekly-ish.

387star

On Moderation
Will mainline drivers drive them in and out the depot or will a shunter driver do this?

A-driver

Established Member
Will mainline drivers drive them in and out the depot or will a shunter driver do this?

At the moment it will be freight drivers and shunters. Once they are running for real mainline drivers will take them in and out of the depot. Not sure if bridges will have shunt drivers but only main line drivers will be able to drive on NR metals (ie ferrying in and out the station etc).

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
The drivers of such moves would have to be route and stock trained, so it's unlikely - more cost effective to continue delivering using diesel locomotives.

When you think that all the other hundreds of Desiro UK variants were delivered to depots around the country behind freight locos, it is unlikely that much would change. Didn't most Desiros, despite mileage testing in Europe somewhere, sit in their UK depot undergoing more preparation before further testing?

387star

On Moderation
At the moment it will be freight drivers and shunters. Once they are running for real mainline drivers will take them in and out of the depot. Not sure if bridges will have shunt drivers but only main line drivers will be able to drive on NR metals (ie ferrying in and out the station etc).

Thanks for this
I had a good look around three bridges today and drove up to the new depot it really is an impressive complex though it seems a lot of work remains to be completed

gtr driver

Fair enough. Just can't see why they would need to be on the interlock. Been a while since I signed 319s and don't remember anything about that. Certainly not uncommon for nose end doors to fly open but as I say with 317/313 they arnt interlocked so having stopped and closed it you can carry on (well in the case of it opening in a tunnel at 100mph with a 115mph intercity flying at you in the opposite direction a minute to calm down is in order as well).

Suspect this refers to the cab entry door at the other end of the unit - rather than the escape door. This is the case on 377s and was a frequent fault on the 377/6s when they arrived.

A-driver

Established Member
Suspect this refers to the cab entry door at the other end of the unit - rather than the escape door. This is the case on 377s and was a frequent fault on the 377/6s when they arrived.

By cab entry door do you mean the side external cab doors? As opposed to the nose end door?

John1975

There's a handful of panel pics here, probably won't help much.

Seeing as you're only across the road, it might be simpler to just arrange a visit.

insane_lewis

Yes.

I am a Depot operations controller at three bridges. Employed by GTR.

It's a joint role split between panel operator and depot driver.

Hence why I was in the loco that was doing all the shunting the other day. I was on the radio with the shunter and the guy on the panel.

I do have very detailed drawings of the panel pictures. As you would expect as I'm fully qualified and use it everyday :)

As said I'm waiting to find out what I can and can't realease.

But here's some pics from the other day....

A-driver

Established Member
Yes.

I am a Depot operations controller at three bridges. Employed by GTR.

It's a joint role split between panel operator and depot driver.

Hence why I was in the loco that was doing all the shunting the other day. I was on the radio with the shunter and the guy on the panel.

I do have very detailed drawings of the panel pictures. As you would expect as I'm fully qualified and use it everyday :)

As said I'm waiting to find out what I can and can't realease.

But here's some pics from the other day....

Seriously, please be very careful identifying yourself on this forum. GTR do employ people to read this forum along with others-you have pretty much told us all (and GTR managment) exactly who you are. They won't have trouble identifying you from that post. Just find out who the depot controller was on that day and in the loco and they have you. Already you are in borderline breach of your contract. Should you, in a few years time, without thinking post something on here which GTR take exception to they will sack you immediately. It certainly won't be the first time a TOC (and a Govia TOC) have done that.

Your contract states you won't talk to the press or post on social media identifying your employer. You have done that now. I strongly suggest you delete this account and re join anonymously.

As I say, people have been disciplined and even sacked over posts on these forums, Facebook and Twitter and you have just told managment exactly who you are. Be very careful.

I know this is off topic but feel it very important that this is stated. I would hate to se someone loose their job over something said on here and I'm not over dramatising it, it does happen and your employer is very hot on social media policy.

(And I know I have quoted your post so if you wish to delete it let me know and I'll delete my quote as well).

Last edited:

A-driver

Established Member
Is there anything here that GTR would deem sensitive or take exception to?

No, and I didn't claim there was. But what he has done is identify exactly who they are (at least made it dead simple to find out) and my point is that if in the future he posts something which they do take exception to they will know who he is and be able to take action. But it is still borderline against the employment contract to post on here which is why most staff (like me) keep things anonymous as much as possible.

Class377/5

Established Member
No, and I didn't claim there was. But what he has done is identify exactly who they are (at least made it dead simple to find out) and my point is that if in the future he posts something which they do take exception to they will know who he is and be able to take action. But it is still borderline against the employment contract to post on here which is why most staff (like me) keep things anonymous as much as possible.

And they do watch this forum.

sarahj

Established Member
I think you just have to be very careful is what you post. No insider info, no details, no unconfirmed gossip*. Just general chat or confirmation of already published issues (eg tickets). Read through what you are about to post and then think, what is it saying about me.

* eg. removal of catering on southern. I did not confirm or mention about what was going to be done until Southern had posted it on their website.

A-driver

Established Member
And they do watch this forum.

They most certainly do. Which is why I recommend strongly to this poster and anyone else that you do not give the info he gave such as 'I was working at this depot as a Shunter on this date at this time and was sitting in the cab of this train speaking to this person on the radio." You may as well use your passport or employee ID card as your profile picture.

I think you just have to be very careful is what you post. No insider info, no details, no unconfirmed gossip*. Just general chat or confirmation of already published issues (eg tickets). Read through what you are about to post and then think, what is it saying about me.

* eg. removal of catering on southern. I did not confirm or mention about what was going to be done until Southern had posted it on their website.

Indeed. Or try to keep as anonymous as possible. And don't say anything to bring your employer into disrepute. An earlier post on this thread states it took a number of signallers a while to get a train out the depot. That kind of comment on a slightly bigger scale could be picked up by journalists and made into a big story bringing the company into disrepute. The 'spokesperson' for the company (ie the poster on here) has then brought the company into disrepute and caused a PR nightmare. If managment know who has posted it as they identified themselves on here a few days/weeks/months/years earlier then they will not thank you for it. Try not to post anything you wouldn't in public as yourself and for goodness sake don't post anything which could identify who you actually are on here.

Of course it's none of my business and I'm not trying to dictate to people what to post but I've seen people dragged over the coals for this before and would hate to see anyone loose their job over a seemingly innocent and thoughtless comment on here.

Status
Not open for further replies.