• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Open Data

Status
Not open for further replies.

Poggs

Serious question.

Given that Network Rail are likely releasing real-time train data in the next couple of months, what *other* datasets would you love to see released and why?

I'll start off:

* Train formations from Gemini

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

causton

Established Member
I would love to see definitely train formations - how many coaches a train is - it would be so much easier - if I'm looking at departure boards on my phone I can see if any trains are doubled up and that would make me more likely to go for them :P

(And also maybe the unit numbers as well, so I can see whether I'm going to be lucky and get a 365 or get a horrible 321 :D )

tsr

Established Member
Unit/loco identities rather than just train formations.

Yes. And the data about coaches (etc.) should have their door positions (to allow you to know where to stand) and locations of facilities, plus, for applicable stock, the types of seats and where they are.

For example, if I board a commuter train (e.g. a typical Class 377) on the xx:xx service from XYZ to ZYX, I'd like to know where the nearest seat with armrests will be, which is the optimum distance for exiting the platform swiftly, and in addition is not too close to the wonderful smells of an inevitably unflushed toilet. I may also want to specify a nearby luggage rack and perhaps a table for four. In reality, this likely would not work, since the services are generally too busy for this to be planned without reservations. But it's a nice idea.

The clever bit would be updating this according to your detected position in the train, real-time running information and the likelihood of each carriage being full (e.g. where entrances onto platforms have been at each station en-route, thereby allowing you to avoid coaches full of standing latecomers).

Real usefulness could be added by allowing "priority seat" passengers at unstaffed stations to find the right door for a seat that it is suitable for them, without them having to walk too far down the platform or in the train.

IIRC, there are websites with seating patterns, but I am pretty sure it has not been integrated with timetables and the location of various station facilities. Station facilities are mapped in some detail on NRE.

For a somewhat less complicated but very effective example of what I mean, look at the "Tube Exits" iPhone application.

ukrob

Established Member
Serious question.

Given that Network Rail are likely releasing real-time train data in the next couple of months, what *other* datasets would you love to see released and why?

I'll start off:

What are they releasing?

Poggs

What are they releasing?

Assuming it's the same as the feeds I already take:

* Berth step/interpose/cancel data from SMARTS/TD
* TRUST activation/movement/cancellation etc. messages (everything except DA messages)
* VSTP schedules
* TSR data
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
I'd love a real time free freight timetable myself :lol:

So you mean www.opentraintimes.com with real-time freight data on top? The sorta stuff I'm already planning and working on?

Class172

Established Member
Associate Staff
Quizmaster
It would be good to know what class and how many carriages there are, so you can decide which train you would prefer to get.

ukrob

Established Member
To echo what a couple of others have said, formations would be good so people know if a service is short formed or not for example.

Class172

Established Member
Associate Staff
Quizmaster
I know the LM app shows if services are short-formed — do any others show this?

dvboy

Established Member
JourneyCheck shows shortformed trains but not what they should be if they are normal!

First class

Established Member
It's the ATOC stuff which is getting released will be the most useful.

If you could have the opentraintimes site, with realtime info, with the cheapest fare available for that service then it's beaten the NRES/TOC sites hands down.

The only thing that annoys me about the OpenTrainTimes site is the limited dates available from the drop-down. To bypass this you have to change the URL

http://www.opentraintimes.com/location/GMV/2012/02/17/14:47

to a date in April:

http://www.opentraintimes.com/location/GMV/2012/04/17/14:47

Class172

Established Member
Associate Staff
Quizmaster
JourneyCheck shows shortformed trains but not what they should be if they are normal!
The LM one does; i can't show you a picture though as I'm on my iPod — there is one currently saying along the lines of:

Code:
[B]Worcester Foregate Street 17:16 - Dorridge 19:xx[/B]

This service is formed of 2 coaches instead of 4. We apologise… etc 

This is due to a train fault.

Eagle

Established Member
It would be good to know what class and how many carriages there are, so you can decide which train you would prefer to get.

Well the data already released shows what type of train each service is booked for, but knowing exactly what class and formation they're booked as would be good (the current system can't tell a 221 from a 180, for instance, or a 155 from a 155+144).

CC 72100

Established Member
TOPS so that I can know when my last XC power car is out... and also when something has dropped

The Planner

Veteran Member
Considering TOPS is like gold dust to many within the industry, getting it on Open Train Times would make the situation frankly ridiculous.

Established Member
Well the data already released shows what type of train each service is booked for, but knowing exactly what class and formation they're booked as would be good (the current system can't tell a 221 from a 180, for instance, or a 155 from a 155+144).

No, open train times shows the Timing Load the same as WTTs do, which may or may not be related to the actual type of stock diagrammed to a train. For example all c2c trains are obviously 357 worked but the timing load can be either EMUA or 357 WTT, and look hard enough and you will find 315 on a STP basis occasionally.

dvboy

Established Member
The LM one does; i can't show you a picture though as I'm on my iPod — there is one currently saying along the lines of:

Code:
[B]Worcester Foregate Street 17:16 - Dorridge 19:xx[/B]

This service is formed of 2 coaches instead of 4. We apologise… etc 

This is due to a train fault.

That's what I mean, but if it wasn't shortformed it wouldn't appear.

The posters above my comment want to see what every service is formed of.

matt

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
It's the ATOC stuff which is getting released will be the most useful.

If you could have the opentraintimes site, with realtime info, with the cheapest fare available for that service then it's beaten the NRES/TOC sites hands down.

The only thing that annoys me about the OpenTrainTimes site is the limited dates available from the drop-down. To bypass this you have to change the URL

http://www.opentraintimes.com/location/GMV/2012/02/17/14:47

to a date in April:

http://www.opentraintimes.com/location/GMV/2012/04/17/14:47

Or go to the advanced search http://www.opentraintimes.com/search/advanced

CC 72100

Established Member
Considering TOPS is like gold dust to many within the industry, getting it on Open Train Times would make the situation frankly ridiculous.

Was only being hypothetical, the thread only asked what you'd love to see, not what could feasibly happen. As much as I'd love this to happen, as you've pointed out it wouldn't.

Last edited:

Jdrowlands

Re. Gemini:

I can see this being possible, seeing that there is already a web application used by some TOCs which links into Gemini while taking timetable data from CIF files like Open Train Times does.

TDK

Established Member
Serious question.

I'll start off:

Costing and distribution of the costing of train delays and the battles that occur trying to blame the 3rd party

bluenoxid

Established Member
Historic Passengers loadings for TOCs that use passenger counting equipment
Number of each ticket type sold in the last year

TGVDUDE

So you mean www.opentraintimes.com with real-time freight data on top? The sorta stuff I'm already planning and working on?

OpenTrainTimes does display freight times if you click the advanced option on the top right, has helped me out on a number of times since I've staretd using it, even test train schedules can be displayed :)

34D

Established Member
(And also maybe the unit numbers as well, so I can see whether I'm going to be lucky and get a 365 or get a horrible 321 :D )

Thought most rail enthusiasts would prefer a 317 or 321 though :s

Anyway, this detail is already shown in open train times (advanced mode). Thanks to Mr Poggs for making this possible.

causton

Established Member
Thought most rail enthusiasts would prefer a 317 or 321 though :s

Anyway, this detail is already shown in open train times (advanced mode). Thanks to Mr Poggs for making this possible.

Not really - there's a reason why 365s look like they have a smiley face on the front of them :D

And indeed, thank you to Mr Poggs! (never knew the maker of OTT was actually on the forum :) )

The Planner

Veteran Member
Costing and distribution of the costing of train delays and the battles that occur trying to blame the 3rd party

A lot of blame throwing occurs via email and phone with TDAs, vast amounts are not shown in delay incident texts.

Status
Not open for further replies.