• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

0451 Old Oak Common H.S.T.D. to Salisbury

Status
Not open for further replies.
Good Morning All

I was just browsing through the RTT website the other day and noticed this schedule http://www.realtimetrains.co.uk/train/H10511/2013/05/30/advanced running Thursdays only between 04-Apr-13 and 05-Dec-13 “0451 Old Oak Common H.S.T.D. to Salisbury” [via Honiton/Exeter St. David’s].

Does this run every week, or at all, has it even run yet this year? If so why would FGW HST’s run over these lines? (Except of course if there is engineering work between EXD and TAU as they have done in the past)

Any info you know would be appreciated. I am yet to get a good photo of a HST on these lines...

Thanks,

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
Does this run every week, or at all, has it even run yet this year? If so why would FGW HST’s run over these lines? (Except of course if there is engineering work between EXD and TAU as they have done in the past)

It's probably one of those 'as reqd' paths for the New Measurement Train (NMT) isn't it? Definitely nothing to do with FGW - it shows as FRGT rather than a TOC. If you look at the whole 24 hours there are paths to and from Salisbury, and also to and from Weymouth. I reckon only one or the other runs alternately - in any case they may not run every week as is the nature of the NMT...

EG: http://www.flickr.com/photos/salisburyasc/2967283347/

Oh yeah, good point swt_passenger, didn't think about that with the 'FRGT' as opposed to showing a TOC, seeing HST I just assumed FGW!!

And I also forgot to mention the Weymouth working as well... But as you say most probably 'as reqd' with the NMT, that would make perfect sense :)

I will check each Thursday and hope it gets 'activated' when I'm either not working or can hopefully leave a little earlier!

Thanks very much

455driver

Veteran Member
It will run 1 Thursday in 4 as that seems to be the normal frequency for the Measurement trains.

455driver

Veteran Member
Sorry, no I dont, I really must make a note of them because we get the 73s round our neck of the woods (every 4 weeks) but I always miss them which is a shame as they are about the only trains I find interesting these days.

I cant remember having any emails about the trip to Weymouth lately so it could be this or next week, sorry I cant be more help.

Darren R

Established Member
I wouldn't take it as gospel about the measurement train running on a four-weekly cycle; I think most (if not all?) lines have a weekly 'as required' path for the measurement train. Up here in Lancashire they don't run anywhere near that often! Although there is a weekly Wednesdays only path for it as required since last December, the service has never run! Whenever the NMT has gone past it's always been in an STP schedule - which the Realtime Trains website very conveniently marks out in red so that it stands out!

455driver

Veteran Member
So you live in Lancashire and are commenting on a train that runs on the former Southern region, you have got good eyesight! :roll:

CC 72100

Established Member
So you live in Lancashire and are commenting on a train that runs on the former Southern region, you have got good eyesight! :roll:

No, he's just using his own experience to provide an example of why things may be different. He did not say 'this is what will/ this is what will not happen', he gave us his own experience of what happens to add info to the debate and what happens in his area, which may, or may not be replicated. Do we not value somebody else's insight and experience anymore, just because it does not 100% answer the original query? I for one would much rather have this additional information.

Darren R

Established Member

No, I wasn't. You said:

It will run 1 Thursday in 4 as that seems to be the normal frequency for the Measurement trains.

I said:

Up here in Lancashire they don't run anywhere near that often!

I thought the statement was fairly uncontroversial - it was merely intended as a warning that the Measurement Trains run far more frequently on some routes than others - just like ordinary trains, in fact! (I suspect this is anything but coincidence. A former Southern Region line with 12 car 3rd rail DC electrics every few minutes will need closer monitoring than a line carrying 159s every hour or so off peak - such as the SW main line to Exeter.)

High Dyke

Established Member
The Salisbury trip seems to have been cancelled every Thursday in April and so far in May. The Weymouth one has no record of operating in April and has similarly been cancelled throughout May so far.

Boothby97

Established Member
The NMT is booked to a four week rota, but when in a certain areas or when spare, will work on secondary lines. The Salisbury service mentioned by the OP was posted on FMi as booked to run on 18/04 (don't know if it eventually ran) but may not run for again for a while.

And I'm from Cleethorpes (north east England) and I have good eyesight!

455driver

Veteran Member
Do we not value somebody else's insight and experience anymore, just because it does not 100% answer the original query?

Of course we do!

We cant really compare the NMT running over a (relatively) lightly used line in the North to a Mainline on the Southern region though.

The Southern NMTs normally run to a 4 weekly timetable and are quite reliable, the hammer the lines get down here they are needed and they wont be more than a week late.
You always know when its run because there are loads of new Emergency Speed Restrictions the next day.:lol:

CC 72100

Established Member
Of course we do!

We cant really compare the NMT running over a (relatively) lightly used line in the North to a Mainline on the Southern region though.

The Southern NMTs normally run to a 4 weekly timetable and are quite reliable, the hammer the lines get down here they are needed and they wont be more than a week late.
You always know when its run because there are loads of new Emergency Speed Restrictions the next day.:lol:

That's fair enough. It could perhaps have helped if you'd had put that explanation in the orginial post. Apologies if any offence caused :)

Status
Not open for further replies.