• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

10 legit ways to get cheaper rail fares

Status
Not open for further replies.

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Seriously, I wouldn't go by train; not when you could save more instead of a £31 SVR.
But the point is that by train the cheapest ticket is a ODT from Rolleston ;)
What site do you use to book by coach?

:lol: seriously, I was counting down the days until you would try the IP trace trick, although to be honest I was expecting you to say Sheffield/Leeds/Wakefield as that's what most programs come out with. Rolleston is miles off.
Boston Spa? ;)

As for Rolleston - you misunderstand! That's the place to buy a ODT from if you are travelling from Nottingham. Just don't try to get it from the ticket office as there are reports of MML staff throwing a paddy when they are undercut by GNER.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

CallySleeper

Established Member
OK so what financial difference would splitting at Rolleston make.

Also, there is only one national mainstream coach ticket website - unlike the railways of course.

T

Tom

Rolleston - London (ODT) (any permitted route) is £38.80, the cheapest SVR from Nottingham (route Grantham) is £41.50, or £47.70 via MML.

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
OK so what financial difference would splitting at Rolleston make.
Why would you need to "split" at Rolleston? You would simply start your journey "short" and finish it "short", which is permitted.

Also, there is only one national mainstream coach ticket website - unlike the railways of course.
Oh, so the likes of Megabus aren't mainstream then. And, if you think all the TOCs booking sites are all different, think again - they all use thetrainline.

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Rolleston - London (ODT) (any permitted route) is £38.80, the cheapest SVR from Nottingham (route Grantham) is £41.50, or £47.70 via MML.
Yep, so the saving is £8.90 plus the cost travel in London, so saving £13.70 if all zones were required. That's 28% off, and no need to 'split' tickets.

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
The coach takes around 2 hours 45 min to 3 hrs, and it costs £14.40 for a day return (with a Young persons coach card), add around £4.60 for travel around London and you get a total of £19. The coach is also infrequent.

Code:
Nottingham  0610 0735 0845 1000
London      0920 1050 1150 1320

Code:
London      1530 1700 1830 2000
Nottingham  1840 2005 2115 2250

Is it really worth it for a saving of £6 compared to an inclusive travelcard that would let you get any train?

With such tiny savings (is anyone's time worth so little as £3 per hour?!) for such inflexibility, long waiting times and long journey times, no wonder MML can hike the price as high as they like - the coach is simply not worth it.

paul1609

Established Member
Why would you need to "split" at Rolleston? You would simply start your journey "short" and finish it "short", which is permitted.

Where in the NCoC does it say that starting/ finishing short is permitted?
My recollection was that it was a grey area that had yet to be tested in court. As I see it a TOC with penalty fares could issue a penalty fare and it would be up to the passenger to fight in in court and incur any possible costs.

adambro

Not a grey area at all actually, see section C of the CoC, at http://www.nationalrail.co.uk/system/galleries/download/misc/NRCOC.pdf. I'm sure some TOCs don't want you to know that in some situations though.

16. Starting, breaking or ending a journey at intermediate stations
You may start, or break and resume, a journey (in either direction in the case of
return ticket) at any intermediate station, as long as the ticket you hold is valid
the trains you want to use.
You may also end your journey (in either direction in
the case of a return ticket) before the destination shown on the ticket.
However,
these rights may not apply to some types of tickets for which a break of journey
prohibited, in which case the relevant Train Companies will make this clear in their
notices and other publications.
If you start, break and resume, or end your journey at an intermediate station
when you are not entitled to do so, you will be liable to pay an excess fare.
This
excess fare will be the difference between the price paid for the ticket you hold
and the price of the lowest priced ticket(s) available for immediate travel that
would have entitled you to start, break and resume, or end your journey at that
station on the service(s) you have used.
(My bold).

So things to note are that if in a penalty fare area, I think you'd end up paying the penalty plus the difference between what you paid and what you should have paid for the journey you actually made. The latter part of that also applies outside penalty fare areas.

You can of course only do that where the ticket allows break of journey, i.e. you couldn't do it outbound on a saver return, officially, as you are only allowed to break your journey to change trains.

However, as an example, when I went from Huddersfield to Darlington. I broke my journey at York to get some lunch, permitted because I could change there onto another train to Darlington but I shouldn't leave the station as ticket doesn't allow break of journey. No barriers in operation at York, when I was there at least, so no problem to leave.

I also broke at Northallerton, this is a valid change to go to Darlington if you were on a Middlesbrough train for example. But as York, no barriers in operation so left and came back later. So when I show my ticket to the guard, if he queries it, I could say I got to Northallerton on a Middlesbrough train and had to change. So it is possible to break your journey in some circumstances even where the ticket doesn't officially allow, providing you are careful and ensure you are making what could be a valid change.

Established Member
Never had any problems breaking journey on outward savers, must have dont it hundreds of times. MK barrier always waived through, even on a piece issued at 0700 returning through the barrier at about 1500 (on my first trip, honest!).

Regular move was 321 LB-MK, 87 MK-Rug, same 321 Rug-Cov and no problems on 321 with Virgin grip on piece.

Think it would be more hassle than is worth to enforce especially seeing as they are near enough unadvertised, i'd be very surprised if anyones had problems.

CallySleeper

Established Member
Come on Yorky, use some common sense dude. Think about it. A coach company which used to run only one return trip a day between a city and the Capital isn't 'mainstream' in that city, is it? Given that National Express run many more trips/day. Although, that said, I can't see anything now on the megabus website which suggests they even serve the city any more.

Seriously, the impression that myself and others have gained is that you think that just because it works for you, it must, therefore, work for everyone. It doesn't, you know it doesn't. You know Advance Purchase is cheaper, better value, etc etc but you just seem so argumentitive that you're afraid to admit it. Why do we need to focus on trying to find loopholes in the walk-up fares system to get cheaper tickets when they will never be as cheap as AP over equivalent routes? There is still a number who are easily able to buy AP but decide not to - how about trying to confirm travel plans in advance rather than always relying on walk-up as a backup when inflexible travel could, for these people have been booked weeks in advance?

On a side point, I forget how many times I've managed to derail this and other threads - but where are the mods who are, apparently, supposed to stop this happen? It was clear when this thread was once about trying to turn everyone from rail enthusiasts to internet detectives to find out where I live that a line had been crossed somewhere. In fact, many other lines have probably been crossed - too many for me.

bye bye forums.

(PS any subsequent posts may well contain huge.jpg)

T

Tom

One last (few) words from me.

This thread is about walk-on fares.

Thank y'all.

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Come on Yorky, use some common sense dude. Think about it. A coach company which used to run only one return trip a day between a city and the Capital isn't 'mainstream' in that city, is it? Given that National Express run many more trips/day. Although, that said, I can't see anything now on the megabus website which suggests they even serve the city any more.
The point is that your statement "there is only one national mainstream coach ticket website - unlike the railways of course." is perhaps a slight exaggeration (by your definition of mainstream, surely there is only one for the railways? changing the colour and logo hardly counts!), however I wish it were true. I'd love it if there was proper competition to thetrainline.
Seriously, the impression that myself and others have gained is that you think that just because it works for you, it must, therefore, work for everyone. It doesn't, you know it doesn't. You know Advance Purchase is cheaper, better value, etc etc but you just seem so argumentitive that you're afraid to admit it. Why do we need to focus on trying to find loopholes in the walk-up fares system to get cheaper tickets when they will never be as cheap as AP over equivalent routes?
Because the railways have the huge advantage of being able to "turn up and go". The fact that the article was so popular, and that so many people do use walk-on fares suggests to me that they should not be ignored.

There is still a number who are easily able to buy AP but decide not to - how about trying to confirm travel plans in advance rather than always relying on walk-up as a backup when inflexible travel could, for these people have been booked weeks in advance?
Some people cannot plan far in advance, it's really as simple as that. The fact is, people want to know the cheapest combinations for flexible rail travel, and a reply of 'get advance purchase' or 'go by coach' completely fails to answer the question.
On a side point, I forget how many times I've managed to derail this and other threads - but where are the mods who are, apparently, supposed to stop this happen?
Erm, ok, but I hardly think it's gone that far off topic that moderator intervention is required.

It was clear when this thread was once about trying to turn everyone from rail enthusiasts to internet detectives to find out where I live that a line had been crossed somewhere. In fact, many other lines have probably been crossed - too many for me.

bye bye forums.
Erm, ok.. :?

Techniquest

Veteran Member
Good riddance I say...

I'll use an example from my experience then to argue against AP fares for a minutes (I know this is supposed to be on walk-on but it will include walk-on nearer the end):

I travel to London quite often. Various reasons really, but mainly for a connecting bash to another one or a number crunching spree.

Now, AP fares do exist (after waiting for them for years, still are on the Marches). However, this are not the easiest things to get sometimes. Occasionally they simply don't exist on the trains you need. That's a fact of life, sometimes they sell out long before you can get them. Where does that leave me? I can be looking 12, 11, 10, even as little as 6 weeks in advance (which allows for NR to get off their rear ends and let the TOCs open reservations) for cheap fares. Even at 6 weeks (which I definately need now to arrange time-off et al) they can be unavailable. For the longest journeys I make (one of which will be Hereford - Linlithgow in June and back), if AP fares aren't available very often I have little options left.

Thankfully though, London isn't too far away from me (still a long way off really from Hereford, let alone the extra mileage to/from Kington), so a walk-on fare is still reasonably acceptable. At £33.65 for an Any Permitted Hereford - London Terminals fare, this isn't too bad really. Allows me to go via Newport as well, which allows for faster and better Valenta thrash. There is also a £27.05 Saver Return which is Route Evesham, which whilst cheaper by £6.60 had to be turned down on Friday as there was not a train that would get me there in time. On that same route a Cheap Day Return is also available, in the region of £22.50 (I'm not going to check the exact price), which is handy sometimes.

Point I'm trying to make (ambiguously perhaps) is that I was in the same boat as many, many people who could not get an advance-purchase fare (I might have been able to get an AP to London for the way there, £16 upwards I believe, but coming back was incredibly difficult to plan for, as I didn't want to set myself to a particular train if we were late back and I ended up missing it) and/or needed the flexibility to get their train(s).

AP fares work for a lot of people, but whilst they usually work for me (my last bash to London from Hereford by rail only had been an AP single, £10.50 and a bargain to boot at that with a pair of Valentas), this weekend was a case where they didn't. I believe I'd have had to fork out £16 for an AP back too, so I paid just £1.65 in that case for the flexibility. Sorry, but that just makes sense!

Another instance where walk-on triumphs is my sister's upcoming bash homeward-bound next weekend. Going from Doncaster to Birmingham, on the core VXC network. Cheapest AP fare on the train she had to get was around £16 I think (this is with a Y-P). A Standard Open Single is £19.15 with a Y-P. OK, so there's still a fair bit of difference in the fares and that difference could easily swing the balance in favour of AP in some cases. However, she wishes to have the flexibility as she is not sure if she can make that train off Doncaster. So she's got the SOS to ensure maximum flexibility.

T

Tom

The CDR is £23.50.

Looking on Avantix Traveller, there is also a SVR, Super Saver RTN and a Standard Day single on route "Warmster-Salsbry"!

tubenutter

Shall I sum up what has come from this thread?

Barry Doe has, kindly enough, written an article revealling to commuters a few nifty ways that they can save money.

VT, MML and FGW are the worst value to use TOCs.

Rail staff are not allowed to help by suggesting possible ticket-splitting locations, though when asked specific ticket prices for pre-researched splitting they are obliged to comply with the customers' requests.

Peter B has a distinct inability to read.

Peter B does not use walk up fares, because advance purchase tickets suit him personally better.

Peter B does not use National Rail within London, and therefore Oyster suits him better.

Peter B does not understand various basic things.

It has become evident that Peter B has never attended a school or any institute of education.

I think the argument should stop now, anyway, Peter will never understand the main concepts by the looks of things.

(Now time to be a hypocrit (sp?):)
Let's get back to some decent discussion about legitimate ways of getting cheaper train fares.

Status
Not open for further replies.