• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

12 car trains at St Pancras

Status
Not open for further replies.

Firestarter

I've heard on the grapevine that one of the platforms at St Pancras (lower level) is not long enough to accomadate 12 car trains and also its not possiable to make the platform longer. Has anyone else heard this and do they know which platform it is? Platform A or B? how will this affect 12 car services in the very near future. December 2011 i think is the first expected 12 car trains, and will it affect the Thameslink Programme?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

transportphoto

Established Member
Associate Staff
Quizmaster
Yes as Fincra5 said the doors which will not meet the platform can be disabled and therefore won't open. I personally don't know how this is done but someone on here will do.

Pumbaa

Established Member
Both platforms downstairs at St P are built for 12 car operation. You're hearing b*llocks!

jon0844

Veteran Member
Why is it not long enough (if true)?. Was it not possible or did someone mess up?

asylumxl

Established Member
I've heard on the grapevine that one of the platforms at St Pancras (lower level) is not long enough to accomadate 12 car trains and also its not possiable to make the platform longer. Has anyone else heard this and do they know which platform it is? Platform A or B? how will this affect 12 car services in the very near future. December 2011 i think is the first expected 12 car trains, and will it affect the Thameslink Programme?

They're both roughly the same length and built to take 12 cars...

The Planner

Veteran Member
Sectional appendix has platform A at 250m and B at 255m. 319s are 20m long, so Robert is your mothers brother.

Aictos

Established Member
Both platforms downstairs at St P are built for 12 car operation. You're hearing b*llocks!

Yes that is indeed correct, it's also why I think they have three zones of A, B and C as it helps passengers know where to stand on the platform for their train.

Dreadnought

Yes that is indeed correct, it's also why I think they have three zones of A, B and C as it helps passengers know where to stand on the platform for their train.

Platforms A & B containing zones A, B & C :shock: that will certainly confuse a few :lol:

Mojo

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Platforms A & B containing zones A, B & C :shock: that will certainly confuse a few :lol:
That is not the case. Platforms numbered with numbers are zoned A, B, etc. (see Southeastern Highspeed platforms), whereas St Pancras Low Level platforms A & B are zoned 1, 2, etc.

jon0844

Veteran Member
[sarcastic]Which makes so much more sense![/sarcastic]

I don't know why the low-level platforms weren't just numbered like the rest. People will still need to following signs (and get lost) on account of the way the platforms are split up, so there's no real loss or gain - but it's at least consistent.

Geezertronic

Established Member
I had the pleasure of using St Pancras yesterday afternoon as the Circle/Metropolitian tube was screwed so I caught a train from Farringdon into St Pancras. Was hoping to catch the Northern Line tube from there to Euston but ended up walking/running it so I wouldn't miss the VT service I was booked on.

EM2

Established Member
I had the pleasure of using St Pancras yesterday afternoon as the Circle/Metropolitian tube was screwed so I caught a train from Farringdon into St Pancras. Was hoping to catch the Northern Line tube from there to Euston but ended up walking/running it so I wouldn't miss the VT service I was booked on.
I always advise customers to go to Euston on foot from St.P.

Aictos

Established Member
I always advise customers to go to Euston on foot from St.P.

More or less what I would suggest, I always walk between Euston and Kings Cross/St Pancras but if I'm heading to Paddington then forget about walking, I rather jump on a LUL service.

Saying that though, I do take any chance to use the Met, :)

Status
Not open for further replies.