• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

------------------

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

RedZed

It really depends on where there is room for classes to run but it's likely they will only want you at Hornsey for sim days. Don't consider moving house closer to hornsey for training etc-you'll only be there for a few months.

Not sure where north of Bedford you live but if you have to regularly go to Hornsey ask about getting a temporary car park pass for somewhere like st Neots, sandy or Biggleswade. All are only a short drive from Bedford and you'll only need a single change at Finsbury Park.

I'm the wrong side of the tracks for those stations mate ( I live in a small village near Santa Pod - nearest railway stations are Wellingborough and Bedford. (St Neots is probably an hours drive) from me.

whoosh

Established Member
Northampton on a London Midland into London? Free with your Govia staff pass.

tlionhart

In perspective, my commute pattern is as follows;

On earlies my commute takes 35mins by car. No traffic, empty fast roads
Rush hour it's 45mins to hour tops.
By train its 45mins. I prefer the train as I have that 45mins to myself. Powernap, listen to music, read training materials. Also saving money in fuel and running costs of the car.

You could live 10mins from the depot but still occur 1-2hr drive. (Trust me it's happened several times to me before) so I wouldn't factor too heavily on that. It's more of an inconvenience. Also with non-techicnal skills your trained to come into work earlier and allow more time for situations like this. (Bit self-explanatory)
All I would add is, after doing an early and driving all day then driving home in lunchtime traffic it's a killer. Although I make it stress free and take my time in getting home. I'm heading home not to work, so no need to rush and stress myself out ;)

Just carry on with what your planning to do and allow time for traffic. So if your allowed up to 60mins commute time then 50mins is fine. If you have to live 35mins from depot then you would need to move nearer

Last edited:

387star

On Moderation
In perspective, my commute pattern is as follows;

On earlies my commute takes 35mins by car. No traffic, empty fast roads
Rush hour it's 45mins to hour tops.
By train its 45mins. I prefer the train as I have that 45mins to myself. Powernap, listen to music, read training materials. Also saving money in fuel and running costs of the car.

You could live 10mins from the depot but still occur 1-2hr drive. (Trust me it's happened several times to me before) so I wouldn't factor too heavily on that. It's more of an inconvenience. Also with non-techicnal skills your trained to come into work earlier and allow more time for situations like this. (Bit self-explanatory)
All I would add is, after doing an early and driving all day then driving home in lunchtime traffic it's a killer. Although I make it stress free and take my time in getting home. I'm heading home not to work, so no need to rush and stress myself out ;)

Just carry on with what your planning to do and allow time for traffic. So if your allowed up to 60mins commute time then 50mins is fine. If you have to live 35mins from depot then you would need to move nearer
Good point

Gtr allow a sixty minute commute and have not told me. I must relocate so it is in my court but the end of the day I don't want to jeapardise this job by stressing or getting tired with a long commute especially as A Driver has made a point that the free taxi thing may not be as stable as I thought especially at non london depots

Will probably move to horsham eventually later and earlier trains (first one gets in to work 0530) last one home from work after midnight and if. I have to drive only ten min at anti social hours plus nice area.. Expensive but really nice

Last edited:

Lincoln_biker

I choose to commute. I work on freight in Doncaster but live A 55 minute motorway drive away in the beautiful countryside. In "rush hour" traffic expect to add 20 minutes to that drive. Then if there's an accident on the motorway, add another 20 minutes as you divert around it. Always check your journey on Google Maps AND Waze app before setting off so you know what to expect.

Then there's the cost. Add up fuel, tax, insurance, a 6 monthly service schedule on a heavily used car, MOT, repairs, and a new set of tyres each year and you're looking at an annual bill around £4k of your already taxed income. Not including the payments on your car if you're one of those that think they need a new car every 3 years!

Don't kid yourself on distance commuting. It's physically and emotionally draining, expensive and unpredictable. But after a few years it becomes the norm and you hardly even notice it.

scott118

i used to commute an hour to and from my workplace - early shifts, no inward traffic, who cares about the journey home. Lates need a tad more planning with school runs, accidents etc to take into account. Just plan your journey well, The plus side is, you'll fly home as you'll most likely be, the only thing on the road..

I chose to live where i do, as i was now able to afford, a bigger property, and the lifestyle that it gave me, far outweighed, being 10 mins away, having twice the mortgage to find. I work to live, not live to work. Pro's and con's to either, you just need to work out what benefits you the most..

I now commute over 4 hours a day. My house is still fantastic, and yes i still enjoy my job..

387star

On Moderation
All sorted now got a place £350pcm all inclusive walking distance to my depot (1 1/2 miles away) so very happy with that.. A nice part of town too

I am living with a landlady and her daughter in a very spacious modern house with plenty of study space and as they work shifts as cabin crew it suits me to the bone

That took literally two weeks at most to finalise

So glad to have got that sorted :)

Last edited:

ComUtoR

Established Member
I am living with a landlady and her daughter in a very spacious modern house with plenty of study space and as they work shifts as cabin crew it suits me to the bone

<D

387star

On Moderation
Yes as Bruce Springsteen would say 'there's a joke here somewhere'

G136GREYHOUND

All sorted now got a place £350pcm all inclusive walking distance to my depot (1 1/2 miles away) so very happy with that.. A nice part of town too

That took literally two weeks at most to finalise

So glad to have got that sorted :)

I think you've done the right thing, I live an hour away which results in a drive almost every day, costs a fortune and incurs an extra half an hour on the front to allow for cock ups on an already crippling 0200 wake up alarm. Long term it's hard, very hard to drive any distance before and after with such consistent early and late finishes and with so many weekends,

Plus it costs a fortune, but hey ho, we're paid far too much according to most on here for the little we do, the hours we have to get up and get home and the scant responsibility we take on

Flintstone

My commute is a 50 minutes drive (each way) but at times like after midnight its only 30 minutes if theres no traffic or roadworks. 18 miles each way. Early shift was a killer because after a 9-10 hour shift containing 5-7 hours worth of driving trains and getting up at 5AM there was nothing worse than driving for up to an hour in bad traffic to get home. Because of this I swapped for permanent lates. You get the ****ty traffic on the way to work but its fast coming home at the end. I like to get the worst over with at the beginning, not have the worst at the end (as seen in the early shift).

Anyway I am now transferring to a depot much nearer to home because I hate commuting. It is a lot worse if you have to commute by car than it is by train. The train is not a viable choice for me most of the time as the service is infrequent, requires a change of trains and it does not run late into the night. Plus, it is usually a slow all-stops 142 - that's off putting enough in itself.

Status
Not open for further replies.