• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

125, class 43, HST

Status
Not open for further replies.

junglejames

Established Member
I reckon if your driving is such that you get outstanding fuel economy out of a 14 yr old engine, you'd get astounding economy out of a modern engine. Fuel economy has a lot to do with driving style.

Your missing the point he is getting. Older engines quite often do have just as good a fuel economy as modern engines.
I think newer engines have been made to be cleaner burning, but they dont actually use any less a fuel in a lot of cases.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Peter Mugridge

Veteran Member
Yes, it's a December 1996 Suzuki Swift ( old shape ) 993cc. I am typically getting 50mpg out of it ( with the higher octane premium petrol ) and yes, despite the engine size it will cruise along quite happily on the motorways, not even on full throttle.

By the way, it's an automatic so in theory it's using a bit more gas than a manual would...

sTEAM Stewart

Not just the power cars but the mk III coach is a design classic. The HST is the greatest train ever produced in this country, and everything since has been a let down by comparison. Pendolinos? Give me strength. Sh*t smartie tubes with no windows and a cheap plasticky interior full of claustrophobia. Give me a mk III coach, a class 87, and 30 minutes longer to enjoy the experience getting to Glasgow.....QUOTE]

I would have to agree with you here. Having travelled many times on the Norwich to London Liverpool St. main line, the Mk. 3 carriages are by far the most comfortable and spacious when compared with any of the newer rolling stock (in me own humble opinion). Smooth suspension for one thing (kind of like the roll often described with the old Rolls-Royce). When it comes to Standard Class, nothing comes close to the Mk. 3 -comfy seats, plenty of legroom, drop-down airline style tables". The "retro" look does it for me too, though I fully agree that "woodgrain" effect might not be everyone's cup of tea!!! :lol: Also, the roar of the diesel engined traction units is something else!!! 8-)
If comparing the Mk. 3 & HST engine to the newer (but quite frankly more ugly replacement units on the main line), I'd always chose the express service (with less stops and Buffet Car). I do understand the point being raised by Commuters in relation to speed, however for me, I'd rather be more comfortable and set-out a bit earlier, rather than the reverse! :)

Status
Not open for further replies.