• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

15x to hull.

Status
Not open for further replies.

hougtimo

Does anyone know what trains are going in and out of Hull at the minute?

I've seen atleast 3 two car sets of sprinters that were not 158s, but I didn't get a look at the numbers (working at a house just up from station) but everyone keeps telling me its only 158s round here!

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

sonic2009

Established Member
do we not get 156s round this way any more then?

It's very rare now! Northern's 156 are split between Heaton (Newcastle) and Newton Heath (Manchester).

The nearest place to Hull to See a Class 156 would be at Newcastle. You can even see ScotRail Ones too :) they operate on the NCL - GLC services via Carlisle.

YorkshireBear

Established Member
hull you can get 158s 170s 185s 180s then anything northern chuck on weekend and local services. which ranges from 142 144 to 143 150 158.

Daily HST

and i think thats everything leeds gets

ainsworth74

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
hull you can get 158s 170s 185s 180s then anything northern chuck on weekend and local services. which ranges from 142 144 to 143 150 158.

You won't see any 143s as Northern don't have an allocation of them! But I suspect you meant 153 ;)

But on the whole Hull sees 158s with the occasionally cameo appearances from 142, 144, 150 and 153 don't think I've ever seen a 155 but that doesn't mean they don't also appear. Rolling stock can be a bit more varied on the weekend and during the summer as they try and strengthen some services on the Yorkshire Coast Line.

YorkshireBear

Established Member
You won't see any 143s as Northern don't have an allocation of them! But I suspect you meant 153 ;)

But on the whole Hull sees 158s with the occasionally cameo appearances from 142, 144, 150 and 153 don't think I've ever seen a 155 but that doesn't mean they don't also appear. Rolling stock can be a bit more varied on the weekend and during the summer as they try and strengthen some services on the Yorkshire Coast Line.

Dam it! yes i did mean 153. Thank you for saving my diginity while i couldnt rectify :) Must be the fact ive only posted like 5 comments in last month (which to say my average before was over 3.

They are usually attatched to a 158 whenever i see them head that way, seen a 150 a 142 and a 144 operating hull doncaster recently after only seeing 158s for last 3 years... dont know if its luck or a coincidence.

ainsworth74

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Dam it! yes i did mean 153. Thank you for saving my diginity while i couldnt rectify

What are friends for :)

seen a 150 a 142 and a 144 operating hull doncaster recently after only seeing 158s for last 3 years... dont know if its luck or a coincidence.

Hmm it might not be luck. Before I went home for the summer (so back in early June) Northern seemed to be increasingly deploying 144s onto Hull - Bridlington services so I wonder if there has been some policy change or something that's meant that the Hull area no longer sees exclusively 158s.

as a kid my dad always took me to Brid every school hols and spent alot of time at the station, all Brid use to see at one time was class 144s with the occasional 142 thrown in. I remember seeing 156s occasionally but it was very rare, then in 2000 we travelled from Brid to Scarborough and we were advised at the ticket office not to travel on the 10 : xx service as it was full and not a usual unit to work round here. We got on it and it was 2x 153 units, 153307 and 153319 that was the first time i had ever seen 153s at Brid, i know 156s years ago werent really allowed to Brid due to the platforms or something as we the station master at Brid.

Max

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
There definitely seems to be at least one Hull/Beverley/Brid-Doncaster (stopping) diagram that is booked to be a pacer now. I caught the 0728 Doncaster-Beverley every day for 2 weeks and it was a 142/4 every day. However, they are still very rare to anywhere north of Beverley on the whole (thankfully).

Established Member
There definitely seems to be at least one Hull/Beverley/Brid-Doncaster (stopping) diagram that is booked to be a pacer now. I caught the 0728 Doncaster-Beverley every day for 2 weeks and it was a 142/4 every day. However, they are still very rare to anywhere north of Beverley on the whole (thankfully).

There was a 144 on a York - Hull working earlier on this year, took me by suprise at Colton Junction to see it heading (what I thought was) the wrong way. Every tiem I've been to Hull it has been 158s and other 15xs.

DarloRich

Veteran Member

Daily HST

and i think thats everything leeds gets

OMG - NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO - the 143's arent back are they? I thought we had foisted them on the Welsh years ago!

Basically you can get ought that Northern or TPE have at Hull, other than the 156.

Plus you get the Hull Trains 180's and the EC HST

btcc fan

Saw a 150 in Brough on Saturday on a Bridlington to Sheffield service, was first time I'd seen a Northern train there other than a 158 in a long time. (Though I don't visit often)

I remember going on trains from Brough to Hull/Brid in the mid to late 90s as a child with my Grandma and getting on pacers or 'bone shakers' as she called them!

Solent&Wessex

Established Member

True. There are quite a few pacer diagrams to Hull now. There appears to be a regular 144 diagram which involves going between Doncaster - Hull - Bridlington / Beverley. There is also at least one diagram which is normally a 142 doing Hull - York services. Last weekend when there were buses between Selby and York the Hull - Selby shuttles were almost exclusively 144s which I saw. There is one pacer which overnights at Hull aswell. It is normally a 2 car 144.

It is very rare to get pacers between Hull and Scarborough throughout as many of these services are worked by TPE crews from Scarborough who only sign 158s.

hougtimo

True. There are quite a few pacer diagrams to Hull now. There appears to be a regular 144 diagram which involves going between Doncaster - Hull - Bridlington / Beverley. There is also at least one diagram which is normally a 142 doing Hull - York services. Last weekend when there were buses between Selby and York the Hull - Selby shuttles were almost exclusively 144s which I saw. There is one pacer which overnights at Hull aswell. It is normally a 2 car 144.

It is very rare to get pacers between Hull and Scarborough throughout as many of these services are worked by TPE crews from Scarborough who only sign 158s.
Northern staff, Shirley?

ainsworth74

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Northern staff, Shirley?

Nope TPE crew a number of the services to/from Scarborough (though I actually thought it was to/from Bridlington). It's a hangover from ATN days when Transpennine services ran all the way to Bridlington via Hull. So you have Northern rolling stock and a Northern advertised service operated by another TOCs members of staff.

Max

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Nope TPE crew a number of the services to/from Scarborough (though I actually thought it was to/from Bridlington). It's a hangover from ATN days when Transpennine services ran all the way to Bridlington via Hull. So you have Northern rolling stock and a Northern advertised service operated by another TOCs members of staff.

Indeed. This is also the case on the Barton line.

hougtimo

whenever I've been on it its deffo been northen crew. Unless the tpe lot dress up it NR 'livery'

Max

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
whenever I've been on it its deffo been northen crew. Unless the tpe lot dress up it NR 'livery'

Well, I can assure you (as a Cottingham resident) that several Scarborough services are worked by TPE crews in full uniform.

ainsworth74

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator

Like Max I can also assure you that there are TPE crews (in uniform) on Scarborough services as I also live in Cottingham (well for 7/8 months of the year anyway).

Anvil1984

Established Member
Yep theres one or two TPE crew diagrams, Northern don't have a traincrew base at Scarborough except revenue protection assistants so it enables to stable services overnight and run earlier / later services in and out of Scarborough, they'll be one or two services throughout the day also by TPE crews as a result of the above as well

Max

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Yep theres one or two TPE crew diagrams, Northern don't have a traincrew base at Scarborough except revenue protection assistants so it enables to stable services overnight and run earlier / later services in and out of Scarborough, they'll be one or two services throughout the day also by TPE crews as a result of the above as well

Slightly off-topic but do Scarborough guards also sign Hull-Leeds? Or do they just work the Northern services back to Scarborough when rostered to a Hull turn?

IanXC

Emeritus Moderator
Hmm it might not be luck. Before I went home for the summer (so back in early June) Northern seemed to be increasingly deploying 144s onto Hull - Bridlington services so I wonder if there has been some policy change or something that's meant that the Hull area no longer sees exclusively 158s.

I've also seen 150s on a fairly regular basis - I do remember reading a track access application from Northern surrounding Hull-York services following the clockface timetable for the ECML.

TPE seemed to be concerned about the risk of these extra services failing between Selby and Hull, and Northern reassured them that they intended to use 'more reliable 150 stock'. I presume the existence of 150 diagrams to Hull is why they're making an appearance around here.

Status
Not open for further replies.