• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

171s on East Coastway Line

Status
Not open for further replies.

samogers

Yesterday (Saturday 19th) I took the 1507 service from Lewes to Brighton which is always formed of a 2 car 171 in normal service because it comes from Ashford. However, I had a nice surprise when a 4 car 171 turned up. 4 car 171s are based on the uckfield line and are only used on the East Coastway line during special events despite the 2 car ones frequently being overcrowded. Is there a reason that some 4 car 171s are operating on the east coastway line instead of the usual 2 car ones?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

BromleyBoi

There was a large music festival in Brighton on Saturday. The Shakedown festival, so that may have been the reason.

Fincra5

Established Member
Sometimes do it in the summer for extra capacity... but aye there was Shakedown Festival. Most people seemed to come off the west coastway though.

ushawk

Established Member
4-car 171s ran between Brighton and Hastings which connected with a 2-car 171 between Hastings and Ashford.

TheJRB

Established Member

Class377/5

Established Member
They've been trying out a four car for the weekends this summer as a test I believe as services are normally heavily loaded at the weekend.

One unit on a Saturday and Sunday as a test during July and August on the busiest diagrams. I believe two were used last weekend because of the Shakedown event and some pirate event at Hastings.

samogers

Give feedback to Southern over the longer train, more people that do, the more likely it could be made permanently.

I'll think I'll do that, after all the coastway and marshlink lines are very popular, especially on weekends!!

Status
Not open for further replies.