• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

180's

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Turbostar

Nobody said they only had 4 sets, what was said is that there is only 4 7-Car high density sets based there ;)

Thank you 37412. :) Actually there's 5, OC45-49. I did say this earlier. :roll: Liam, pay attention, OC has 27 sets altogether, OC30-49, OC51-57.

Mushroom

There was, yesterday, 6 180's Sitting in Wolverhampton Oxley Depot. Should the assumption be made that they will be there untill new accomodation is sought?

djw1981

Established Member
Yes. It is the facility which Alstom have chosen to use for their warm store.

Established Member
180104 has come off lease with FGW over the weekend and should be moving up norf to Oxley tommorow ;)

djw1981

Established Member
But Sovreign, with is a GC family company is the ROSCO, so they would most likely allocate to their own services, before leasing them to anyone else, especially with the refurb done to their designs etc.

me123

Established Member
There are a lot of train companies being proposed. Glasgow Trains (Glasgow to Liverpool), as well as Humber and Coast (Cleethorpes-Stratfrod via Cambridge). Both services could make use of the 125mph capable HSTs, and it would be a cheaper option than procuring new rolling stock for a young company. (Prays for Valentas at Glasgow Central).

Established Member
But where are the PC's coming from, when the FGW and Nat-ex MTU fittments are complete ans XC have there PC's up and running and GC have there full fleet there will be no spare PC's until somebody decides to release some whch is unlikely, MML (EMT) have already realesed 5 for XC, they will then use some currently stored PC's and the ex MML onesfor there services. GC have had 6 PC's overhauled at Devonport for there services, FGW have been taking everyspare PC going to replace the 180's as there new refurbed trailers come back from Litchurch lane and Ilford and then using them on ex 180 diagrams. Nat ex have there full fleet now and are MTUing them for there sercvices. That leaves the NMT ones whcih will be in use for the foreseeable future and may also go MTU. So it's a good idea but you have no PC's 8-)

Oh and my suggestion would be top'n'tail NB tractors overhauled after purchasing from EWS, using genny vans for heat :lol:

...Or 142's in pairs, but only ones with bench seats ;)

me123

Established Member
I was assuming GC get rid of their PCs and bith GC and GU switch to Polaris operation (assuming GU goes ahead, of course).

Established Member
I was assuming GC get rid of their PCs and bith GC and GU switch to Polaris operation (assuming GU goes ahead, of course).

Think you are hoping a bit too much there, and I think they would rip the Valenta's by the time that happens anyway.

I think in the realistic timescales for the startup of these new companies (don't forget that Virgin Trains have exclusive rights for operation on the West Coast until 2012), HST2 will be well into production and HST1 operation will be winding down which will give a large number of surplus powercars.

me123

Established Member
^Exactly. We're looking at many NXEC powercars coming off before either company starts operation.

djw1981

Established Member
Also remember in 12 years we have seen 3 OA operators make it to the stage of running trains (assuming WSMR get there). I can remember over 5 other proposals. The most likely OA operator in many cases would be existing TOCs adding an OA route to their franchise. Glasgow to Liverpool would be a great VWC route, but the only stock available currently is 180's, although being Alstom produced, it might find favour with VWC maintenance chiefs, as they have the Alstom facility at Longsight and Polmadie.

Also remember in 12 years we have seen 3 OA operators make it to the stage of running trains (assuming WSMR get there). I can remember over 5 other proposals. The most likely OA operator in many cases would be existing TOCs adding an OA route to their franchise. Glasgow to Liverpool would be a great VWC route, but the only stock available currently is 180's, although being Alstom produced, it might find favour with VWC maintenance chiefs, as they have the Alstom facility at Longsight and Polmadie.
Only problem with the 180s on the WCML is the lack of tilt which restricts them to the southern half of the route (and even then on the slows with a max of 100). Once VHF commences, there will be no fast line paths during the daytime for trains slower than 125.

djw1981

Established Member
There are paths north on Preston (at least 3 per day, given the 3 'Glasgow' services which turnback at Preston due to unit shortage!). The 185's do not have tilt, and they run happily from Glasgow-Manchester. Maybe the solution is a to have TPE run that service as a development of the Manchester-Edinburgh/Glasgow services.

me123

Established Member
Thus giving the 180s back to TPE, going back to one of the original Adelante rumours.

djw1981

Established Member
They could then take their 185s back to TPE land, and thus send the 170's to EMT.....thus completing another rumour. I look forward to this becoming fact on this, or another forum, within hours.

djw1981

Established Member
Then EMT'll get the 180s probably surprising everyone :lol:

They seem to be currently tipped to get the HT 222's IF the 180's turn out to be ok, and Ht agree to take them permenantly as a fleet with more capacity than their current one. This would also strengthen HT's hand in bidding for an extra path, as the capacity difference between themselves, GC and NX would be less.

me123

Established Member
^Yes, I was just making the point that we'll all be wrong in the end, probably.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Well you didn't say that before as I wouldn't have made that post if that was what you were on about! :roll:

I didn't say it, but I knew all along. There are also GC ones displaced if GU use Polaris trains as I had said.

paul1609

Established Member
^Yes, I was just making the point that we'll all be wrong in the end, probably.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---

I didn't say it, but I knew all along. There are also GC ones displaced if GU use Polaris trains as I had said.

Oh yeah the GC polaris trains due to enter service in 2010 so we should see them start type testing somewhere in the world later this year.......or maybe not?

Max

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
They seem to be currently tipped to get the HT 222's IF the 180's turn out to be ok, and Ht agree to take them permenantly as a fleet with more capacity than their current one. This would also strengthen HT's hand in bidding for an extra path, as the capacity difference between themselves, GC and NX would be less.

Since Hull Trains have a long term lease on the 222s, and they're about 4 years newer than the 180s, I think this is very unlikely unless the Dft were to offer them a tonne of money.

Philip

On Moderation
Has 180104 arrived in Oxley now?

Is there any sneak preview of the unit to head north next week?

matt

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
180102 went to Oxley today and 180101 will go next monday (ta to 31401 on railchat)

djw1981

Established Member
Since Hull Trains have a long term lease on the 222s, and they're about 4 years newer than the 180s, I think this is very unlikely unless the Dft were to offer them a tonne of money.

That info was posted by an HT driver to another forum, as being one option they had heard discussion of.

Respite

Any chance they could couple them all up at oxley & then drive them off the end of the wash road towards the old Wombourne branch & just get shot of them all. <D

It's only Alstom rubbish anyhow.:(

Status
Not open for further replies.