• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

185143-Trip Publishing Expected?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Established Member
Not been a great day today. Spent 49 minutes on hold to Northern's Customer 'Services' to chase up two delay repay claims.

Now in Essex after a great (and FREE!) flight on a Flybe ATR-42 (I think) but managed to leave my tablet onboard the aircraft. At least I have my Baker-or else I'd be bashing blind tomorrow shacks wise...

Tomorrow is on GTR Southern so what could possibly go wrong(!) *wonders if the red gestapo will let me on GatEx with a travelcard+ECR-'Wherever the hell I go to' return...*

My plan, of course, was on my tablet!

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Kite159

Veteran Member
Doh at leaving your tablet on the plane.

Have a safe day on Southern, although if you believe the RMT you will probably get mugged at all those unstaffed stations which are now crime hotspots ;)

Established Member
Doh at leaving your tablet on the plane.

Have a safe day on Southern, although if you believe the RMT you will probably get mugged at all those unstaffed stations which are now crime hotspots ;)
I'll be safe on a 313 at least...

At least leaving my tablet on the plane means no one can mug me for it at an unstaffed crime hotspot!

I can't say I 100% buy into that-but I strongly object to Merseyrail's 'crime doesn't happen before 8PM' argument! In fact-the only times I've seen BTP intervene with anything has been well BEFORE 8PM!

87electric

Good news on the tablet. I lost my first tablet on a Gothenburg tram. I caught the same tram 20 mins later but it had gone. I've now made sure that any photos/music/data etc...... on my current tablet are all backed up somewhere. It's a wise move.

cactustwirly

Established Member
It's why I use a smartphone instead of a tablet, it fits in your pocket so it's harder to lose.

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
That was a lot of reading 185143!
I must agree with what Tech said re the WHL. It’s a fantastic route to explore and I loved the bit about chatting to the lady at Arrocar & Tarbert about shack bashing. You’ve yet again proved to me that people actually find what we all do very interesting and that it’s something to be very proud of.
Great reading and thanks for posting.

Techniquest

Veteran Member
Glad you can get your tablet back 185143! Hope the spin on GTR went well, although I have a feeling we'll all be reading about how dire it was soon!

I hate tablets personally, but then mine failed miserably on me which annoyed me hugely. Waste of £90.10 that thing was...

Established Member
Picked up my tablet. I'm a very happy man right now!:D

Established Member
‘This train is the Southern Service...’ 01/12/17-03/12/17

This report is unusual in that it features a 3 day trip, and doesn't feature a ‘silly o'clock' start! A few weeks ago there was a competition in the Manchester Evening News in conjunction with FlyBE and ‘London’ Southend Airport to win so many free return flights. I, of course, entered this competition-the desire (being a Northerner) to get ‘owt for nowt' trumping over anything else!

The bit I wasn't expecting was to actually WIN the competition! As such, after contacting relatives in Chelmsford, I booked flights for this weekend and started to make a plan. I had a lot of different plans-one of which included a visit to Shippea Hill (should it have remained as the least used station that is!)

After a morning at college, I returned home to pack a bag for the weekend and called Northern to chase up two delay repay claims. 49 minutes later, I got through to Northern who told me that they had received them and they were being processed. My Dad gave me a lift to Manchester Airport and I got through security quite quickly. Terminal 3 was quite busy and there were few places to sit, but I found a spot by a gate which wasn't open. After about 20 minutes, my gate was announced and I headed downstairs to Gate 16. The Liverpudlian inside me sneered in disgust at Manchester Airport's offering of complimentary copies of The Sun newspaper as I headed to the gate. There were very few people waiting and I was, for the first time ever, in the first rows to board the flight!

A FlyBe ATR 42, EI-FMJ, was my winner chariot for the short flight down to Essex. And a very nice flight it was too! Once I'd got over the fact that it was the smallest commercial aircraft I've ever seen, I was onboard and waiting for takeoff. Very friendly crew, ‘provided for your comfort and service but primarily for your safety' to quote the captain (DOO TOCs take note...) a smooth, clear ride and a quick flight. Not bad for free!

Touchdown was on time to the second, and that was where things went wrong... I picked up my stuff and got off the plane, and headed outside the terminal. I was getting a lift back to Chelmsford, so I didn't have to worry about getting a rail ticket or anything. It was when I was unpacking I realised I had a big problem. I'd left my tablet on the plane! A lot of swear words were used-especially as ALL of my potential plans for the weekend were on it and tried to get in contact with the airport. I was unsuccessful that evening, so I made a plan for the next day whilst thanking my lucky stars that I'd brought my Baker atlas with me!

I didn't get an awful lot of sleep that night, so thankfully it wasn't an excessively early alarm the next morning. I'd planned to catch the 08:21 service from Chelmsford to Liverpool Street for safety reasons (it's a 90+mk3 rake with a Safety Critical guard) but having had a shorter queue in the ticket office than expected, and it being rather cold, I boarded double winners 360102+360105 towards London. The service was quite busy so I was standing, as it's preferable to the middle seat in a 3+2 configuration. Looking at RTT, I realised I could bail at Shenfield for a +5 onto an ex Southend. Bonus shack, yay!

A nearly empty winner 321339 was my traction onwards from Shenfield, I got an empty bay of 4 in the motor coach for the 15 minute non stop run to Stratford. A Crossrail 345 was spotted terminating at Chadwell Heath which I was tempted to catch, but it meant waiting 15 minutes at Stratford which I flagged in favour of LU. I intended to catch the 09:31 from Victoria-but decided to catch the 10:06 instead once I caught the ‘Tube Bug' again! I boarded triple winners 91321+91016+91228 (forgot to get the last one) for the short move to Mile End. It was still fairly early, but the train was nearly empty! I bailed at Mile End where I was intending to board the next Central line service-but a quick look at my LU map told me I'd get more shacks by boarding a District line train. In the end I decided to board whatever arrived first. And that was..... winner S7 21307 on a Richmond service. A short wait on Stepney Green's platforms was in order before winner 21306 took me on to the next stop, the building site of Whitechapel station where I had a 4 minute wait for the next train. Uggh... 4 minutes waiting on LU is equal to about 4 hours in the rest of the world!

Winner 21412 arrived, which I boarded and it said a strange thing-which I didn't clock initially... ‘This is a Circle Line train to High Street Kensington’! I bailed at the next stop Aldgate East, hoping for a shortish fester (as a H&C service was useless to me). The screens said the next District was in 6 minutes! I took a seat knowing I'd be here a while, but then literally out of nowhere winner 21490 arrived. I was hesitant to board-as I didn't know where it was going! The onboard announcer said it was a District train so on I went! And off again round the corner at Tower Hill obviously...
My next move, something of London Underground legend, was a COMPLETELY EMPTY required 22392 to Monument. I bailed, noting the 2 minutes until the next train. After a mental debate deciding whether I'd have enough time to go and purchase breakfast from the shop set back from the platform, winner 21529 rolled in to take me to Cannon Street. I mean, I could have just waited for the next train-but that's totally against my natural Northern instincts! The thought of ‘I'll wait an extra 2 minutes' has literally just entered my mind...

After another traditional 2 minute wait, 21394 took me to Mansion House. I was starting to think of onward moves now, as nothing between Blackfriars and South Kensington is required-I scored those on the way to Victoria Coach Station in February. I could score South Ken and easily get my train (and some much needed scran) from Victoria, but after bailing out of dud (GRR!) 21414 at Blackfriars (and remembering that I have already alighted upstairs and boarded LU down here) I had a better idea.

Up through the barriers I went, and out of the station. A quick scan round saw the famous Sainsburys Local and also a coffee shop advertising a hot drink+bacon butty deal for £3.49. That's me sold! A very nice hot chocolate and decent bacon butty were devoured on the way up to the GTR Thameslink platforms-that's definitely somewhere I'm going back to should I find myself near Blackfriars in the morning again! My travelcard rejected in the barriers, which prompted the thought of ‘for f*** sake here we go...’ (though BFR was the only place it didn't work interestingly!) The gateline staff had to come over and let me through. As soon as I was through, I was called back-knowing some of the things I've read on here about GTR, this could have been literally anything...

‘Sir, something's leaking in your bag...’ well she wasn't wrong. There was liquid dripping out of the bottom of my bag as an entire can of sprite had decided to empty itself! The can seemed sealed though, so I've no idea how that happened! In hindsight, leaving my tablet on the plane was probably a good thing-or else it’d have been in my bag and potentially damaged! I finished the last of my breakfast before boarding winner 700034 on a Sutton service. I took advantage of the ‘First Class' area which was completely empty to try and sort my bag out. I also took advantage of a plug socket-which as I found out later didn't work. I was also glad I'd flown down as I'd emptied most of the utter crap that was littering my bag in preparation for my flight. My ICRS book had got a bit damp but miraculously everything else was pretty much fine, with the exception of a GA timetable. I had a brief panic that I'd boarded the wrong Sutton service, but thankfully all was ok. I couldn't score any Sutton loop shacks, which had been my wish, but I bailed at Streatham instead intending to do a same direction +14. Bonus shack number 1.
I noticed a Luton running a couple of minutes late, so I legged it over the bridge and dived onto the 700. I forgot to ID it when I bailed at bonus shack number 2, Tulse Hill. I only had 5 minutes to board the southbound service which, disappointingly, was formed of dud 700023. I sat in Standard for only the second time ever and I do think the heater (or whatever it is) by the wall is quite intrusive-though not half as bad as on Merseyrail 142s. In response to a comment made by Bletchleyite (IIRC) on another thread, the aisle is wide enough for two people to pass-as I did it. The legroom looked a fair bit less than on other units with ironing boards, not that that's an issue for me. I feel as though I'm the only fan of the 700s at times... (though they need wifi really, even us TPEites have that on refurbished units and 350s!) I bailed 10 minutes later at bonus shack number 3, Mitcham Junction. Whilst waiting at Mitcham Junction, I finally received some welcome news! An email from London Southend Airport saying they had my tablet! It'd cost me a fiver to get it back-but I couldn't care less about that, I was just relieved! And that's coming from a tight fisted Northerner...

The pattern of bad luck I'd picked up over the last 18 hours would remain as I took dud 455844 to Epsom. I'd looked at using SWR (Something I'm yet to do) down to Epsom from Waterloo, but a rail rep from Raynes Park put me off... the 20 minute journey to Epsom went quite quickly and I was now on required track. Mentally I had Epsom noted as an SWR Shack, however it is GTR Southern. A nice and safe pair of SWR 455s arrived ex Guildford and seemed to be carrying very few passengers indeed.

Unfortunately my onward move was not one of those with a Safety Critical Guard onboard... it also wasn't one to bring the red pen out either! Seriously... I've had so few 377s and I get a dud on the longest distance move I've ever done on one! It wasn't all bad though as it was dud 377613 with plug sockets. Thankfully these did work! Shortly after boarding the OBS came through to check tickets which was a surprise. I was on this train down to Horsham, which was a surprisingly fast and scenic journey. After one of the intermediate hourly served stations, Ockley I think, there was a very unexpected section of jointed track! The train, station screens and the station signs themselves all seemed to disagree on whether the station before Dorking is called ‘Boxhill & Westhumble' or ‘Box Hill & Westhumble’ (it's Cark/Cark & Cartmel all over again...)

I had 15 minutes or so at Horsham, most of which was spent on a London Bridge 377 getting a few extra percent into my phone battery. My next move was formed of (thankfully) winner 377114 as far as Chichester. This was a 12 car service (approximately 6 times the length I'm used to!) Which the front 4 coaches were heading to Portsmouth with the rear 8 heading for Bognor Regis. The Pompey train was fairly well loaded, but I managed to get an empty pair of seats in the front coach. I was on this train for about 40 minutes, which went really quickly. The views out of the window were much better than expected-the line gets quite remote in places and the train only called at Barnham. I considered staying on this train to Havant, but that would have resulted in either an hour fester at Warblington-or only scoring ONE intermediate shack between Barnham and Havant, neither of which were ideal! As such I bailed at Chichester after a PNB onboard for a 15 minute fester. The station was filled with the all too familiar sound of Enviro 200/300/400 buses rolling over the crossing and an even more familiar noise from a Littlehampton service... PEP THRASH!!

15 minutes flew by and in rolled winner 377435 on a Portsmouth semi fast. This of course meant I had to bail at Southbourne. Another 15 minutes passed and the Southampton train arrived, also a semi fast. Dud 377465 (BOO!) pulled in to take me one stop down the line to Emsworth. Another 15 minutes passed and in rolled winner 377417 which was another 1 stop hop to Warblington. As I boarded at the door the OBS was stood at, I did get my ticket checked this time. The OBS was very friendly and was chatting to a small group sat immediately opposite. From a purely customer service point of view, onboard this train at least, the OBS concept does work. Of course, the second member of staff needs to be Safety Critical and needs to be guaranteed to be onboard, and in full control of the doors and safety, although getting guards out of the back cab is something I will fully support and should always be encouraged.

I had 45 minutes at Warblington, a Permit to Travel machine was spotted so I exchanged 10p for one as they are something of a rarity these days. Noting my phone battery being at 39%, I turned it off for the 40 minutes until the train and went into my lunch. Several fast trains passed and after what felt like very little time 377417 returned. I noticed a couple of times the OBS was mid-transaction and returned to the doors at a station, keyed in, checked the platform, stepped back onto the train, keyed out and returned to his transaction. I was later told the OBSs are meant to check the platform as a guard would. In which case... why not call the OBS ‘Guard'!?? Ok, the OBS doesn't give the signal to depart (as in, buzz buzz) but the driver isn't going to look at his camera and leave the OBS on an empty platform, is he? (Though he may miss the OBS at night due to the image being so poor...) I fail to see how the recent ASLEF deal actually really benefits GTR? OK, they can run properly DOO if the OBS calls in sick at the last minute, but surely the negatives (eg. Having to keep the OBSs and pay them a guard's wage) FAR outweigh the perceived positives? Unless I'm missing something obvious?

I turned my phone back on-and saw the battery had drained itself to 8%. WHILST TURNED OFF! Eek...! I plugged in a power bank which got it up to 44% (it was £1 from Poundland, alright... thankfully I had a hunch it wouldn't be the best and bought 3!) It felt like I was this train for a while before I bailed at Fishbourne for another 45 minute fester. Whilst waiting for my train, one of my friends rung me and said he'd just bailed out at Pilning. Being told to keep up at the back wasn’t something he took too kindly to! Unlike me, he'd been to Temple Meads beforehand though... (makes mental note to go back to Bristol!)

I was in need of a PNB when my 4 coach Portsmouth service arrived-however it had lost a coach and become 313216, not ideal! Thankfully it was a winner, and it was running perfectly to time-which was good as I had a 5 minute connection at Nutbourne. Bailing at the back of the train and heading across the crossing I was soon watching the Littlehampton train arrive. This too was a 313 and, worse, a dud! 313215 was my chariot at far as Chichester. I'd planned to bail at Barnham but couldn't wait much longer-plus I knew there was a facility at Chichester. Less than 5 minutes later, winner 377161 pulled in. I was heading back towards the smoke now-but not on this 377! This was non stop from Barnham to Horsham, which wasn't something I wanted to do. A ten minute fester at Barnham passed and I boarded the very rear coach of winner 377425, with dud 377436 upfront.
I decided to be a bit naughty onboard. Spying the empty ‘First Class' section (and noting there were only 2 other passengers in the coach) I plugged my phone in and left it in First Class. (I was sat on the first standard seat of course) It started to go dark in the 20 minutes I was onboard to Pulborough. When I bailed, I noticed we were only just on the platform and the ‘do not pass this point' sign was about level with the first window in the middle section of the rear coach-therefore the rear door was past it. I'm not saying that wouldn't happen on a safe train-in fact the one time I saw a train open up with a door off the platform was a pair of 350s, which obviously have a safety critical guard onboard...

Of course, there was no additional danger in this case and everything was fine. The waiting room was locked annoyingly, it was starting to get cold. I had half an hour to waste, which passed quite slowly actually. I was rather glad to see winner 377409 arrive taking me one stop onto Billingshurst. As I bailed here, I spotted a Tesco express so chose to head to that for a supply raid. There was quite a lengthy queue which was good as it wasted a bit of time. I had to catch the next Northbound train as the Horsham-Dorking line has a poor service (and I'm saying that as a Northerner!) And the last train from Horsham is at 18:04! Winner 377116 was my chariot to Horsham. When the OBS appeared, I showed my Warblington-Ewell East return and my travelcard and asked if I was ok to stay on this train. He said that was fine which saved me a good 40 minutes (more tube vegging!).

I bailed at Horsham to see which unit was going to crash into us (hoping for something with plug sockets-but that was not to be.) As I lost my table seat, I decided to board winner 377451 to continue the journey to London. The route between Horsham and Three Bridges was required track, not that I saw much in the dark sadly. This was also the first time I've been at Gatwick on something other than something set up to con tourists into paying £19.80 to get to London... (not that I paid that of course!)

Looking at my dwindling battery, I had to think quickly. Remembering how slow the stagger from East Croydon to Blackfriars is, I bailed at East Croydon! Technically a required shack as I've never photted the shack sign before. As I alighted, I noticed a strip of blue lighting along the platform edge-what’s that about? Is it something to assist DOO drivers? I wasn't waiting long before winner 700115 rolled in and I took a seat in a fairly busy ‘First Class' section for some much needed phone charge! The stagger was indeed painfully slow-which was good for me of course. We didn't break down at City Thameslink and I bailed at Farringdon International. As much as it'd be good to see-I do feel that 24tph is wishful thinking...

I was done with National Rail now so headed to the tube. I managed to take the wrong exit and got lost, but got onto the platform shortly before a Metropolitan line train was due. I'd earmarked the Jubilee line as one I could possibly clear before heading back to Chelmsford. Winner 21005 was taken for the 9 and a bit mile journey to Wembley Park. This was also required track past Baker Street and wow it was fun! (Aside from dropping my chocolate muffin on the floor and the whole thing disintergrating. That was not fun.) I bailed at Wembley Park, having passed two Stanmore trains on the way. I’d make a dig at Wigan Rugby, but the 2017 Challenge Cup Final was an absolutely fantastic game of rugby league... I can't even take the piss out of Wigan for it-it could easily have gone either way for most of the game, but thankfully the better team managed to win the cup which was even better. (It's not often that Warrington fans support a Yorkshire team that's for sure!)

I'm going to type up the Jubilee line moves as I'm conscious this is a rather long report, and nothing interesting really happened-aside from grabbing a couple of refurbished trains, which I was pleasantly surprised with as the pictures made them look quite poor. (All trains were winners unless otherwise stated)
96069+96024 Wembley Park-Kingsbury
96028+96023 Kingsbury-Canons Park
96074+96055 Canons Park-Stanmore
Dud 96024+Dud 96069 Stanmore-Queensferry
Dud 96028+Dud 96023 Queensferry-Neasden
Dud 96055+Dud 96074 Neasden-Dolis Hill
96009+960xx Dolis Hill-Kilburn
96027+96032 Kilburn-Willesden Green
96085+96018 Willesden Green-West Hampstead
96080+96115 West Hampstead-Finchley Rd
96025+96082 Finchley Rd-St. John’s Wood
96003+96030 St. John’s Wood-Swiss Cottage
96114+96029 Swiss Cottage-Bond Street

The double backs were caused by me trying to be clever. Neither of them worked and I ended up missing the train I was hoping to catch both times! I bailed off the Jubilee at Bond Street as the headways had been rather large, trains were being held to ‘regulate the service’ and there was congestion around Green Park due to an event. Over to the Central line then! And I'd needed a PNB since Neasden...

I headed onto the Central line platforms-a train soon pulled in which was absolutely rammed-quadruple winners 91171+91124+91010+91099 for the 4 stops to Chancery Lane. There was a mass exodus at Oxford Circus, seemingly few people boarded-which was a pleasant surprise. A sub-2 minute wait later, quadruple winners 91317+91198+91462+91123 arrived which were even busier than the previous train had been at Bond Street. I wasn't onboard for long though as I left the train at St. Paul's. It was about 21:05 at this point, my train from Liverpool Street was at 21:30 (a safe train to Norwich). Quadruple winners (again) 91217+91140+91172+91333 took me to Bank. I decided to be greedy and ballsy here... my train from Liverpool Street was in 20 minutes. Therefore the sensible thing to do was board the next Central Line train, right? Nope! I hiked down to the Northern line platforms, just missed a train (arse!) And boarded double winners 51557+51530 at 21:17. 13 minutes until departure...

Off I went at Moorgate and up to the Circle line. I misread a sign warning passengers the Westbound platform was closed and was now resigned to the fact I'd missed my train. However as I'd misread it I was fine and walked straight onto winner Metropolitan line S8 21109 for the short hop to Liverpool Street. 8 minutes until departure...

Getting out of the station was hard work as the entrance onto the concourse was shut! I eventually found the exit onto the street and headed into the mainline station, taking a second to appreciate how nice the building is from the outside! I headed straight for platform 10, making it through the barriers 5 minutes to spare. Resisting temptation to make a rude gesture at the dispatchers who were aggressively blowing their whistles to try and hurry everyone onto the train. I could understand that kind of behaviour up to 2 minutes before departure, but 5 minutes before? Really?? I didn't succumb to the intimidation to board the train, hopefully to the annoyance of the dispatchers, and boarded about halfway up the train at my leisure, 3 and a half minutes before departure. I was partly tempted to leave the door wide open, but thought better of it.

After a very urgently needed PNB, I found a seat on this very busy train and put my phone on charge. I was rather annoyed to be on dud 91105 but oh well, it's safer than the Colchester Town DOO service! I was predictably wedged out at Stratford, but the journey was fine. Arrival into Chelmsford was on time which, very surprisingly, had been a theme of the day! Don't get me wrong, I was expecting this day to be a total farce (especially given all the setbacks I'd had over the previous two days!) But it really couldn't have been much better. GTR Southern always seems to work when I'm using it-which is quite annoying when the expected free journeys don’t produce! (Had I stuck with one of my plans-Coastway East out of Brighton-I'd have been caught up in disruption caused by trespassers on the Eastbourne branch and been on PEPs wedged full of Liverpudlian football fans. And I've not come to the South Coast to do THAT!)

I met my Uncle on the concourse at Chelmsford and we went to the chippy before heading home to watch I'm a Celebrity. A much better night was had, unsurprisingly, and I woke up at about 1PM. That wasn’t part of my plan... I wasn't too bothered about heading out to do same direction festers on branch lines on a Sunday anyway really. It soon became time to head to the Airport-watching Air Crash Investigation on TV less than 3 hours before flying was probably a questionable move...

I was cleared through security in record time, I found some really helpful staff who worked on tracking down my tablet. This was soon brought through security to me, which was a HUGE relief! Paperwork signed and overpriced bottle of coke in hand, the gate was opened for boarding. Southend Airport is rather small, with just 6 departure gates, but it does the job very efficiently indeed. For the amount of people milling around, there was ample seating *take note London Euston* and boarding didn't take long at all.

We were let out onto the tarmac and I was rather disappointed to see I had the SAME ATR-42 back home! For the second time in less than 48 hours I found myself boarding EI-FMJ, and even being greeted by the same member of Cabin Crew! The flight was about two thirds full this time, and it was another smooth, relaxing flight back to Manchester. When we landed there was a slight delay in opening the doors as the ground crew weren't outside the plane at the right time. Making damn sure I had everything in my bag this time I alighted and headed out through arrivals. My Dad was waiting to give me a lift home (something that cost him £4 for the pleasure of parking for just three minutes...) at the end of a great weekend! I'm conscious that was a rather long report-so thanks for sticking with it!

13 NR winners
45 LU Winners
18 winner NR Shacks
27 winner LU Shacks

Kite159

Veteran Member
It would have been 90005 not 91105 ;)

Sounded like a good trip to the dangerous lands known as Southern ;) the barriers at Blackfriars are a pain in not liking railcard discounted travelcards.

The blue lighting at Croydon is to highlight the gap for those smartphone zombies

Also the issue at Pulborough still would have happened a couple years ago before the DFT got involved as the Southern 377s were Driver Release, Guard Close. Similar to South Eastern 375s out in Kent & Chiltern 168s north of Banbury ;)

Last edited:

roversfan2001

Established Member
Long report or not, doesn't matter when it's as good as that! Even though I knew about the tablet incident etc. in real time it was still a very good report, you had a few setbacks but that's to be expected, overall looks like you enjoyed it!

Established Member
I had done a summary of Saturday's little ride across the Pennines and the newest bit of track in the country but I've lost my tablet AGAIN.:frown:

Established Member
Thought I'd posted this one-sorry!

It's the final countdown! 22/12/17
This was a hastily organised trip due to me being unable to reside on the Merseyrail fleet for the day due to the RMT strike, and mainly due to Northern sending me some Christmas presents-including a complimentary day pass! I had intended to catch the 06:08, however this was flagged as it was too much effort. I need just two units on Northern, a 153 which I knew was overnighting in Workington and a 142 which was bouncing around West Yorkshire. I couldn't... could I? I knew for sure I was going to have a damn good go at getting them though...

I started my day on double duds 150205+156466 which were rather empty and took a seat in the 150 for the journey to Manchester. Northern informed me that my 142 was on the 07:55 Man Vic-Blackburn, and that my 153 went into Barrow C.S. after working the 12:08 CAR-BIF. Just as I'd decided to take the pacer to Blackburn then connect with the 10:03 Preston-Barrow 37 working, I got another message warning me that the 37 had gone bang at Harrington and the 10:03 was cancelled... here we go all-bloody-ready!

I bailed at Deansgate and, after feeding the machine with £1.20, boarded 3002 to St. Peter's Square. A short wait later and 3096 was taken to Victoria via the Second City Crossing. I arrived into Victoria about 5 minutes before the Blackburn train was due, headed straight over to platform 6 and boarded winner 142090 to Blackburn via Todmorden. It'd been a wee while since I'd last been to Blackburn (though I'd later realise just HOW long it'd actually been...) and probably even longer since I last took a left turn at Todmorden. The route was quite foggy so I didn't see much, certainly on the right side of the Pennines. The last time I was in the Copy Pit area was on the 589 bus, the scenery is good on the train, but much better on the bus as it’s a windy road along the edge of the valley-crossing a river several times I had absolutely no clue existed!

The beast bounced into Blackburn exactly to time and I had one thing on my mind... SCRAN! I headed off the platforms hoping to find something nearby and very conveniently I found a Subway in the station! That's new! In I went and, £4.80 lighter, I had my footlong mega melt and Pepsi Max. The ‘new’ Subway had actually been open for around a year...

I returned to the platform to catch the Preston train, 158790 being the unit in question. When the guard commenced a ticket check, he looked at my pass very closely-then handed it back to me saying ‘thanks 185143 (real name) enjoy your day!’ the passes have your name on them, and being addressed by name was a bit different! I didn't know exactly what I'd be doing once I reached Preston-so I spoke to the staff for advice. The first person I spoke to was a manager drafted in from London (going by his accent) for the strike which was cancelled anyway. Without intending any offence, as he was trying, he wasn't aware of either the pass or the sparcity of Northern trains between Preston and Lancaster, so couldn't be too much help. The regular staff told me the next Northern train was in about 5 hours time...

A TPE 350 had arrived, so I explained the issue to the guard who happily allowed travel. A comfortable floor seat was taken on a busy (no way(!) ) 350401 until I moved to an empty table. The journey over Shap was as impressive as ever-the free WiFi going down a treat. As I'd headed North via the sane route, I was in Carlisle at 11:09, considerably earlier than anticipated-if I'd even got there at all. A supply raid was done in preparation for a lengthy fester for the 12:08 Barrow service, which was formed of my last 153-and indeed my last Northern unit. I of course absolutely HAD to get this train as the unit was booked to go into Barrow C.S afterwards.

At around 13:00, the ‘C word' appeared on the screens... (no, not THAT C word!) THEY HAD ONLY CANCELLED THE TRAIN! Many words were used in frustration at this, the service was starting at Workington as the northbound train was running nearly 100L. The next service was the 12:52, expected to be 20-odd late. After what felt like an age, I boarded 142046 for the lively ride towards the sea. Originally I was going to bail at Aspatria, but I wasn't confident that I'd intercept the Northbound service there so I played it safe and bailed at Wigton. I'd had gen that meant I needed to stay up North...

I could have easily made Aspatria as the Northbound service was 22 late! It was worth every minute of the wait though when I camped out in the ‘Vegtibule' of DRS mk.2 6008 behind 37401... OH MY LORDZZZZZ THAT THRASH MADE UP FOR LITERALLY EVERYTHING!!!! After one of the best journeys of the year, I parked my rear in the carriage and settled in for a trip down the coast. It started to go dark not too far out of the border city, and due to our delay, I had to bail at Parton as the northbound service had been let out at St. Bees. The Northbound service was the other 37 diagram, the other enthusiast who bailed wasn't too impressed when I told him what should be coming round the corner, but I was ecstatic! The gen proved correct and I am proud to say without a doubt I'm the first enthusiast to literally jump with joy at seeing a unit running vice a loco...

It was only my last Northern dogbox! 153363 fell to the red pen and I took a table seat onboard with a ridiculously big grin on my face feeling rather proud of what I'd accomplished! (GWR can you kindly take the 3 150/1s you've sent here back? Ta!) I bailed at Maryport for the 17:10 Barrow service, formed of 156443. The journey south was very dull and dragged all the way-I can't remember too much after Millom, I'll leave the reasons why to your imagination...
I had an hour at Barrow, apparently, before boarding 185144 (refurb!) To Preston. Isn't the First Class nice! Both the bogs were locked out-which was a problem as I needed to use the facility by Dalton! Preston couldn't come soon enough, and a 5 minute connection was made onto 319376 back to Pieland (as it was the easiest place to get back to for a lift home). Once onboard, a much needed PNB was had and the scream of the traction motors was very much enjoyed!

It was nice to finally get all the Northern units cleared-however the resulting hangover was awful! PEP thrash is a good cure it seems...

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Nice. Well done getting the 153 but I think I’d have felt the same as the other guy :lol:

Established Member
‘No one EVER goes there!’-28/12/17

This was a rather spontaneous trip booked the night before as I found a really cheap ticket, a Bingham to Birchwood advance for £5.35. I woke up at the ungodly time of 5AM and realised I had absolutely no idea where my advance was! Eventually I found it and headed to the station, flask in tow as it was absolutely bloody freezing...

I boarded the first train with a complimentary Northern single, the 06:08 to Piccadilly. A very empty 142051+142004 were taken for the bounce into Manchester-and they never really filled up either. Upon arrival at Piccadilly, a supply raid was undertaken in preparation for the bounce down the Valley of no Hope. After a brief panic caused by seeing a pair of rancid 150s in the platform, I was delighted to see my Sheffield service was a pacer! I made a rude gesture at the Bristol service on the way past as it was one of my last 2 220s... I was I was one of about 5 people to board this train after a quick ticket check I soon realised how good the metal bars on the bus benches were as a tablet stand! I wrapped my case around it and settled in for the ride. Who needs VT BEAM, LM Motion, TPE ExStream when you have this from 1986! Around Edale, daylight broke. The hills had a good coating of snow, but none elsewhere. I could tell by the increasingly lowering temperature onboard that it was clearly very cold outside! The train finally started to pick people up at Hathersage, with about two thirds of the seats taken after Dore & Totley (where I remembered, to my horror, I'd crossed the border into Yorkshire and forgotten my passport...)

Arrival into Sheffield was a couple of minutes down, and... well I thought it was cold on the pacer! It was FREEZING! An EMT service to Norwich rolled in and, knowing I'd be able to get an extra-quite awkward shack (and I'd get out of the cold!) I spoke to the guard. The train seemed to have more carriages than passengers, and I was allowed to travel without any issue. 158857 took me to Nottingham (I couldn't be bothered IDing the other unit as I've cleared EMT 158s). I think this is the first time I've done SHF-NOT in one leap-my red pen normally takes me to Derbados on a 222... (or on a Northern service to Ilkeston as it was last time).

Upon arrival at Nottingham, I still had no clue what I was doing! As I had 25 minutes before my first and only planned move, I sat down to think about a plan. I settled on a Kangaroo Robin Hood Ticket Kangaroo Robin Hood Ticket to get me going. There was an RPI block at the bottom of the tram footbridge which I passed... then sheepishly passed again when I realised I'd gone up the wrong footbridge...

My first move was the 09:49 Newark service for a tight +5 at Burton Joyce. Double duds (GRR!!) 153385+153302 (Both of which I've had in Merseyside-with all wheels intact too!) Were my traction for this service which unhelpfully left 3 minutes late. I had a +2 now, with a 2 hour wait if I missed it... I wasn't worried...

I bailed, leapt off the dogbox, and immediately uttered a 4 letter word at both the approaching 156 and the level crossing! I stood patiently(!) at the crossing and waited for both the trains to pass then legged it to the 156. The guard had just released the doors as I reached dud 156473. I boarded the nearly empty unit and took a seat near the back of the train. I was ticket checked on the approach to Carlton. Bailing at Nottingham I IDed a couple of dud 153s and a dud 222 so headed to the trams... and immediately missed winner 207! Here we go... I thought. Surprisingly however, I wasn't waiting long before winner 225 rolled in on a Clifton South service. I boarded and took it to Queens Walk as I knew I needed to stay between Nottingham Station and The Forest to have a chance of seeing all the trams. As such, I boarded dud 201 at Queens Walk back to Nottingham Station.

I decided if a winner hasn't arrived by 10:41, I'd go and ID the XC 170. Nothing required arrived, so off I went! Winner 170107 was sat in Platform 7B so I boarded for the thankfully short hop to Beeston. Here my plan was simply to wait for a winner heading back to Nottingham. The XC service was late (no way...) and when it arrived was formed of dud 170518. There were two EMT services in the next 10 minutes so the rancid Turbos*ite was flagged for anything else! The Lincoln stopper was a dud 158, so that was also flagged. I had to board the next service as the next one wasn't for a fairly long time, so I was happy to see winner 222021. The service was fairly busy so I ended up sat on the tip down in the vestibule. Dud 220013 had also tagged along for the ride-which meant I had a long walk back to the tram stop.

A tram was stopped in the Hucknall bound platform and was empty, both the platforms were rammed so it was obvious something had happened. The display was flashing showing an approaching Toton Lane tram yet nothing appeared. I wandered down to the old Station Street stop and the problem was obvious. Some clown had ‘done a Wythenshawe’ and driven onto the tram tracks... and got stuck! The tram on the other platform proceeded and crossed over to the southbound line, sadly out of service. The car was moved after about 15 minutes and I boarded the first tram to arrive-winner 208. Lace Market was my destination, I saw that the tram that was stuck behind the car was a winner too! Bailing at Lace Market, I had a 2 minute wait for a tram back to the station... winner 230! I now needed 5 trams, and I knew 3 of them were out. Clearing the NET fleet was starting to seem like a very real possibility today...

Noticing that the time was right to jump on a Hucknall tram to go and get Newstead, my streak of luck expired and I boarded dud 234 for the journey all the way to Hucknall. We got held at about 3 of the passing points on the single line, and the journey took about 10 minutes longer than usual. The tram was nearly empty by Hucknall, but there were 3 of us on the front 4 seats. At the stop before Hucknall we got held again for a tram to pass. The driver opened his door to tell us what was going on-and to apologise for the farce of a trip. He'd only just booked on and didn't seem to know exactly what had caused the disruption. I told him what had happened and he told us he had one last week-he was driving his tram up into QMC, happened to look in his mirror and there was a little white car following him! Turned out it was an old lady who was lost as was following the tram as it was going to where she was going...

The delay into Hucknall wasn't sufficient enough to make me miss the train, so I fed the cash taking TVM (Yes, NORTHERN, Hucknall is unstaffed yet both NET and EMT can provide cash taking TVMs-so you can too!) £1.70 for a return to Newstead. Dud 158813 was my chariot, and I was pleasantly surprised to get a ticket check. After the quickest PNB in history, I bailed out for a 9 minute fester onto a Nottingham service. Refurb 158847 rolled in, so a couple of percent was added to my rapidly dwindling phone battery. No grip on this service and I bailed at Hucknall to just see the back of a tram departing... great! The screens had a message on them saying times were out of sync due to delays, and were showing the next tram as being in 25 minutes. A quick press of the help point proved this to be accurate unfortunately...

The wait would be slightly more acceptable had a winner rolled in... but no. Fresh dud (and absolutely rammed) 230 arrived and departed after a very quick turnaround. One thing I like with the NET is that you can see the entire driver's dashboard-speed, how late the tram is, the lot! I was talking to a friendly local who suggested bailing at The Forest to catch any of my last 5 trams (as the lines split heading through the city centre). I was going to stay on until Old Market Square (as then it wouldn't be too much hassle to if a winner was going North) but seeing required 222 put a stop to that! We said goodbye and I legged it over to tram 222, getting some weird looks from some of it's passengers in the process... due to the aforementioned split lines (and the fact I’d just been advised that this wasn't the nicest of areas) I stayed onboard until Wilkinson Street.

I couldn't ID anything in the depot, and I jumped straight onto dud 219 back to The Forest for a short fester then onto dud 220 as far as Nottingham Trent University. There were more RPIs on the platform and, as I knew whether all but 1 of my required trams was out or not, I asked about it and was told they'd been onboard that tram twice that morning! Talk about rubbing it in...

I sat at a table outside the closed Uni to eat my lunch, deciding on what to do Heavy Rail wise. I had just under 2 hours to hopefully scoop my last 4 trams... that's a tall order! Winner 208 rescued me-it was bloody freezing! And took me up to Royal Centre. I got bored quickly here, and urgently needed a PNB again, so soon found myself on dud 214 to Old Market Square. I was denied my PNB by winner 217 which was taken back to Lace Market. I immediately dived onto dud 204 as Lace Market is a pain to change platforms quickly at. Bailing once again at Old Market Square, I headed to Spoons for a PNB. I wasn't hanging about for long before winner 224 arrived. Hello again Lace Market!

Fresh dud 230 again took me back to Old Market Square, where I was waiting for a specific tram. I'd missed it this morning, but after crossing the road I was now onboard winner 207. That's the original fleet cleared! I’d have taken that-but I still had about 40 minutes to play with... I headed back to Nottingham Station. I couldn't... could I? Just 1 tram remained! My phone battery was on about 4% so rather than wasting 40 minutes of charging time, I buzzed the help point to see if 235 was still out-as I hadn't seen it at all and with the incident earlier it could well have gone to bed. BUT IT DIDN'T! I was told the tram was 20 minutes away on the Toton Lane services at Radford Road. There was a Toton Lane tram at the stop so I dived on it. Anyone more familiar with the NET than I will realise the humongous mistake I'd just made...

Radford Road is NORTH of the city! I bailed at NG2 as it was a good connection back to the City, with the horrible feeling that I'd possibly just effed it up... I didn't have time to miss it! I bailed at Nottingham Station and the next tram to arrive was..... 235! MYLORDZ! Hello NET clearance club!

I went back to NG2 for the fact that it's a good connection before boarding 224 back to Nottingham Station. An RPI check was made onboard, and this journey was quite a sad moment-I like the NET, and I'll probably never use it again now. Anyway, enough of that, I had EMT stuff to do! Some phone charge was achieved before the 16:45 SkegVegas arrived, formed of 156470. I've actually used this service before, when I boarded this exact unit at Elton & Orston. ELO was NOT (sorry...) my destination this evening however-the walk back to Aslockton in the dark would be rather dangerous as it's simply a grass verge by the side of a very busy road. Not to mention it was absolutely bloody freezing! Nope, my destination was Netherfield. A very poorly served shack-the first time I'd ever stopped there. I bailed and a normal got on. A same direction 60 minute fester was had here-I was going to go bus vegging but ended up spending most of the time on the phone to other bashers so didn't bother. The hour went quite quickly actually, and thanks to the concrete shelter tucked under the stairs, not too cold!

Dud 156413 was my ride to Bingham-a much smaller place than I expected given the occasional Manchester services than call. I'd been on the platform about 5 minutes and was already starting to feel extremely cold... Spoons time! I've not spent 40-odd minutes over a pint of coke before... the pub was lovely and warm, and everyone seemed to have the Curry Club deal-I'd have murdered a curry, I was starving! Missing the train was a risk I wasn't willing to take though...

Eventually I dragged myself back to the shack, genuinely concerned for what on earth I was going to do at Aslockton for an hour. I was surprised to see 156498+153321 roll in, the guard explained that the 156 had no working facility, so that's why the 153 was on. Top marks to EMT there! He sold me a return to Aslockton and we got talking for the brief time I was onboard. He asked where I'd been, to which the reply of ‘Burton Joyce, Newstead and Netherfield!’ got the expected response...

I headed over the crossing and was relieved to see a proper waiting room! Though annoyingly with just a perch bench inside it... boo! Either way, I made myself as comfortable as I could, watching the windows steam up due to the increasing temperature inside the room. When it came to 8PM, I headed outside for the Nottingham train, noticing that ice was already forming on posters and the help point. Dud 156408 was my chariot back to Nottingham, calling all stations.

At Nottingham I regretted buying an advance. Why? I was routed on the 20:47 Nottingham-Sheffield. I alighted next to the 20:33 Leeds HST!

After a short wait, dud (obviously) 158859 was taken to Sheffield on Northern's evening Magical Mystery Tour. Running non stop to Derbados on Northern was a first for me, and the thrash up the MML was very impressive! The guard announced anyone wanting a slightly quicker journey into Sheffield should change at ChesVegas. Why? Well, we were on platform 3 as we turned right to head into Sheffield via Barrow Hill and Woodhouse! Out comes the Baker once Woodhouse is reached...

Arrival into Sheffield was thankfully about 5 down, meaning I had about 7 minutes until my 185 back to Piccadilly. Refurb 185103 was my unit for today, and I was surprised to see the system had allocated me a table seat. I was VERY tempted to give the hypocritical couple who loudly passed comment as they passed my table (which, like the table across the aisle had just one person on it) that one person sitting at a table was selfish an earful, but thought better of it. Were they suggesting I contravene the terms of my advance ticket by not sitting in my allocated seat or something? Were there spikes in the other 3 seats stopping them from sitting there? But then again, that's Yorkshire folk for you... (though NOTHING will beat the Brummies who on a rammed 170 after the guard invited people needing a ticket to try and get to his cab door at the back of the train and he'd sell one (to avoid queueing at the then new barriers at New Street) who said-quote-'which end's the back?’ whilst moving at linespeed...)

A grip was undertaken quickly and I settled in with EXStream to take me back to Manchester, so the journey passed very quickly. My advance was for any train to Occy Road, then the stopper back to Birchwood. I boarded the 23:07 TPE Liverpool service to Occy Road, formed of unrefurbushed 185119 As I boarded, I noticed a smashed up Iphone on a seat. I passed this on to the guard as I alighted and decided that, as the train wasn't particularly busy, to ask if I could stay on back to Birchwood, which I was allowed to do. Still missed the last bus though! One of the best non-Merseyrail days I've had in a wee while that's for sure!

Shacks: 5
Heavy Rail Winners:2
Light Rail Winners:8 (NET cleared)

Techniquest

Veteran Member
Finally caught up! Congratulations on clearing those Northern DMUs, quite an achievement!

Welcome to the NET Cleared Club, I've been a member for ages

Established Member
Congratulations on your clearances.

Judging from your comments about the ex-Great Western 150s, I presume you need some that are on their way to Northern.
I'll also go from cleared to un-cleared; just as soon as 150101 and 150128 get re-allocated.
As for the NET, you've made me even more determined to get down there for my last one at some point in the next couple of months.

Established Member
Congratulations on your clearances.

Judging from your comments about the ex-Great Western 150s, I presume you need some that are on their way to Northern.
I'll also go from cleared to un-cleared; just as soon as 150101 and 150128 get re-allocated.
As for the NET, you've made me even more determined to get down there for my last one at some point in the next couple of months.
I does. ALL OF THEM... (and I HATE 3+2 seated 150s!)

There's a report from Tuesday I still need to post, which I thought I'd done actually-that'll be sorted soon.

I'll try and do a report from yesterday but there's patches of the day I have literally no memory or notes of. That was nothing to do with overindulging in (now legal) adult beverages on my 18th or owt...:D

Here's a question-apparently I won 90034 on a VTEC leap, but I have literally zero recollection of even being concious let alone on the train... my mate says we had it-do i count it?

Established Member
A wee bit of Bank Holiday fun! 02/01/17

I decided to kick the year off as I intend to continue it-with a bash! I was looking on NRE the night before and found a return to Glasgow on my usual trains for £19! Oh Virgin Trains... you really know how to tempt me!

This meant that I had to be out before 6AM, which wasn't much fun, to catch the 06:15 to the best bashing city there is (sorry Liverpool...). 221115 was my traction yet again, with another voyager on the back. I didn't ID it as I wasn't bothered as all VT 221s are dud. I meant to check at Glasgow but forgot. I settled into my reserved seat in Coach D for the 3 hour slog North, no one else was in the carriage at all. The train was in reverse formation so I was in the second carriage. Daylight broke around Carlisle where we picked up about a tenth of the normal passenger volumes, and at Lockerbie I didn't notice anyone.
After Lockerbie, I looked on RTT to start planning my day. For the benefit of any English and Welshmen reading (including this one!), 2nd January is a Scottish Bank Holiday, so a reduced Sunday service was running... great!

Departures within the last hour from Glasgow were:
07:06 TPE to Manchester Airport
07:40 VT to London Euston
08:03 XC to Plymouth

Balls. I wouldn't have bothered had I known this! But I was North of the border now-so I was committed. The Daytripper was immediately flagged, so I started to see what I could get with a roundabout. In the end ‘eff it and hope for the best!’ was the order of the day. I've always said that 1S34 gets slowed by Scotrail services on the approach to Glasgow. None of them were running-so I'd surely prove my theory now, right?

Yep! Arrival into a very empty Glasgow Central was 11 EARLY! That was nice! I purchased a roundabout and looked around-the 09:17 Edinburgh was dud, the 09:18 East Kilbride was a triple 156 and two were required! 156505+156462+156436 were taken as far as Giffnock, as that was the first station that had a train back to Glasgow when I'd arrive. There were about as many passengers as carriages, so the guard got through very quickly. He approved of the badge and we had a bit of a chat before I bailed out in the pouring rain at Giffnock. The 9 minute fester felt like a while, I heard a conversation at the ticket office where a passenger wasn't too impressed at being told she couldn't use her railcard as it wasn't a bank holiday in the rest of the UK. I fully agreed with her frustration-if she was travelling into England, then fair enough-but for a journey wholly within Scotland, on a Scottish TOC-it seemed a bit unfair, all because ‘the people Down South do things differently'. Triple 156s were the order of the day again-156442+156456+156449, just 156442 required this time.

The rain seemed to ease off slightly on the way into Glasgow, but not much. Arriving into Glasgow I noticed a 156 with Ironing Board seats in the platform opposite. Don't they look odd in a 156! The Ayr services were all running as pairs of 380s today-and having never had a double 380, I caught winner 380005+dud 380108 on a non stop Paisley leap. The opportunity of some phone charge was taken, and just as I was gazing through the blurry rain soaked window thinking how awful it looked outside, the announcer said we were approaching Paisley. I was meeting a mate off an ex Edinburgh voyager, so I caught the next train back to Glasgow, double duds 380021+380010. This unit was fairly busy and absolutely BOILING! It was a relief to bail at Central and I met my mate before we headed off to the low level platforms. He was in a long queue so I headed down to the platforms. Winner 334013 was taken to Anderston for a short fester before double duds 320302+320301 back to Central.

We had one thing on our minds-Subway veg! We-well, I, had decided that walking to St. Enoch was effort, so we flagged it and boarded winner 318263+dud 320416 to Partick. Mmm... 318 thrash! We bailed at Partick, got our subway smartcards then headed down. A train was just missed so we headed to the Inner Circle. 101+118+winner 130 were taken to Cessnock followed by winner 104+124+1xx (dud) were taken back to Ibrox. A fair bit of festering was done here-mainly catching up over stuff, until eventually we got bored and headed to Buchanan Street on winner 110+205+1xx. I had intended to get a 380 out of Queen Street today, but due to engineering works near Edinburgh, they weren't running. GRR!

In the end, as I had much more of an appetite for 156 thrash than 170 droneage, winner 156496+dud 156492 were taken on the 12:21 Oban and Mallaig. The train was well loaded so we got fairly poor seats. I believe the curve from Kelvindale heading North was required, though I'm not sure. The journey was pretty quick and then we had a 12 minute connection at Dalmuir. We crossed over the footbridge which smelt very dubious indeed, flagged a dud Balloch EMU and headed to platform 4. Double winners 320415+320322 formed the next Larkhall service, however 320415s plugs annoyingly didn't work... my mate bailed at Partick and I carried on to Central.

I may be over 200 miles from Merseyside, but a bit of PEP thrash was irresistible! Winner 314215 was on a Neilston which I boarded, and made a rude gesture at the ‘these things are being scrapped in 2018' advert and sat in the motor coach. Looking at RTT, I could get to Mount Florida and intercept a Glasgow bound PEP. I remember reading on here a while back that there's an unwritten rule in Glasgow that the nicer a place sounds, the more of a s*ithole it is! A quick look around from the platform would suggest that is true-and I cast my mind back to scoring the misnomer Coatbridge ‘Sunnyside'...

Bailing here was a wise move-winner 314201 formed the next Glasgow service. I chose to stand as this was quite a busy train, and reached Central 10 minutes later. I reminded myself I'd scored NO shacks in the 4.5 hours I'd been here and needed to focus on the job in hand. Dud (boo!) 314205 was duefully taken down the Paisley Canal branch as far as Mosspark. A 20 minute wait was ‘enjoyed' here before the PEP returned. After the all too familiar feeling of being on a PEP and needing a pee, I arrived into Glasgow Central (I've not been here much today...), popped onto a 380 for a PNB and then headed downstairs in the lift manufactured by a company based less than a mile from my house! As far as I know the company no longer exists-but the builders plate with the address of the head office being ‘Birchwood Technology Park’ (no longer called that either!) Is still present in the lift (that's how I found out!)

I would be on this next unit for quite a while, so I was praying for a) a winner and b)something other than a 334! The sound of required 318256 approaching was good to hear-it had brought dud 320309 along for the ride too. The 318 was a refurb so I sat in my favourite seat-one of the pairs of seats under the pantograph that has a full size table and plug socket (WHICH DIDN'T BLOODY WORK!) Out came the Poundland 50p power bank (my local branch is closing-so they have, well, had a sale on). I got my tablet, a drink and some chocolate out and settled in for the ride! 35 minutes or so later, I arrived into Airbles after travelling through some of the heaviest rain I’ve seen in a long time. Given my proximity to Greater Manchester (when at home obviously), that's saying something...

After a free shower, I stood in the shelter waiting for the pair to return from Motherwell. Once again taking my favourite seats, I made myself comfy for the 45 minute trip to Anniesland. Some veg I know were boarding at Central with roundbouts too-so we met for a bash. We all bailed at Anniesland after comparing phots of stuff we'd seen at various times. I was heading for Ashfield, with them boarding a pair of 334s back towards Glasgow.
I was a bit annoyed to see dud 158728 on the Maryhill line service, but I wasn't willing to flag it. Onboard, after using the most disgusting onboard facility I've seen for a long time, I found a very pleasant surprise... a Richmond seat that HADN'T collapsed! Yes Blindtraveler, you won't believe me but such a thing seemingly actually does exist! Glad I was sat down for that shock...
I had 25 minutes at Ashfield, which I'd just been warned wasn't the nicest of places. I immaturely went to draw something rude in the condensation on the shelter, but had already been beaten to it-several times...

My hoped for set swap failed to occur and 158728 returned from the Royal Street. Seriously, some of the stations on this line are so close together it's ridiculous! Anyway, they're all done now! The local veg were going to Spoons and invited me along. Noting a further service decrease, and working out I'd only get one more shack-Paisley St. James-I happily obliged! A very nice burger and chips was devoured, along with a few arguments which was very enjoyable hour and bit. One of the arguments consisted of the new Pendo livery. Not just which one is better (the OLD one, OBVIOUSLY!) But over what COLOUR it is... help me out here-is it white or grey?

Two of us left at 19:15 in order to catch the 19:20 Motherwell via Glasgow Central service, which would get me to Central in plenty of time to grab a drink from Poundland and get the 20:10. Well... it should have done! ‘ScotRail are sorry to announce...’the 19:20 was cancelled, the back up of into Queen Street and walk was gone due to engineering works. The ticket office staff advised me to get a taxi and claim the fare back, which I wasn't willing to do as I shouldn't have to have the hassle of claiming it back and secondly I was concerned that, knowing Virgin Trains the way I do, if I were to miss my connection the staff would contradict the NRCoT and leave me stranded in Scotland. At least if ScotRail booked the taxi then VT would be more likely to help.

ScotRail's excellent control room booked me a taxi straight away once they found out that I was going to miss my last train home, which arrived a short while later. The driver was, quite frankly, mental! He said he was determined to get me to my train, and he was certainly a man of his word! He certainly played the stereotype of an angry Glaswegian VERY well as virtually every set of lights in Glasgow City were red! I did however make the train, boarding at 20:02-8 minutes before departure. Dud 390047 was taking me back down south, with it's fancy new LED screen and journey progress screens at one end of Coach B.
Unusually there was no ticket check before boarding, so the TM had to come and do it. I was reserved at a table in Coach F, the carriage was largely empty (as usual). The journey back was awful quite frankly, the carriage was-in my opinion-far too warm and I had some really noisy children sat near me. Oh and don't get me started on the announcements drifting from the toilet... someone supposedly chatting to you while you have your trousers round your ankles isn't weird at all...

By Cumbria, a combination of this and tiredness made me feel quite ill. As such I went to seek assistance. The shop didn't sell paracetamol, but the staff kindly gave me some and a nice cold bottle of water which helped. On the way back, I realised the vestibule was a much more acceptable temperature, and I'd get fresh air at the stations. As such I spent Penrith-Warrington camped on the tip down seats. Arrive Awesome one certainly did not... ok, most of the lack of awesomeness wasn't Virgin's fault-but the ambience of the carriage certainly didn't help. I've never felt ill on a Voyager, but, bizarrely 158s have a tendency to disagree with me when I'm already feeling rough...

Due to this, I was rather glad to reach Warrington Bank Quay and get a lift home after a good day. Can't lie I was quite annoyed when I found out about the reduced services though-but I was happy with what I salvaged from it regardless...

Winner Shacks:3
Winner Units:12
Winner Subway Cars:3

Established Member
Something a ‘little' bit different... 12/01/2018

Right-time for some trains again. The RMT strike meant that my usual Merseyrail bashing was off the cards, as was anything on Northern... (yes I know trains still run but... no thanks. I walked into Victoria station the other day for a PNB, flagged a strikebreaker service to Rochdale and went to catch the bus!) As such, whilst on my pet 507s the day before, I looked for advances. Finding something cheap, I decided to do something I'd been intending on doing for a long time. (Which will make the meaning of the title obvious once the report concludes!)

I headed to Runcorn station-by car of course-to catch the 08:23 West Midlands Trains service towards the Bat Cave. For a matter of hours the day before, I was able to say I'd cleared all of the 350s in the UK as 350241 dropped on a Parkway-Crime Street leap totally unexpectedly. Then I hear 350264 is on the way back... BUM! Anyway...

A rather empty 350235 rolled in, which I boarded and took a bay of ‘6' in the front coach. I tried to get some doss on the 80 minute journey to Smethwick-without too much success. We were held at Weaver Junction to let a pendo pass, but aside from that the journey was uneventful-aside from spotting 319012 and 319220 near Crewe which are apparently bound for West Midlands Trains. I still hadn't been gripped by the time I bailed at Smethwick Galton Bridge. After the lift door deciding to close and trap me in it-and getting lost (which seems to be a compulsory part of a SGB interchange!) I eventually ended up on platform 4. I was hoping I'd get a winner and I wouldn't be disappointed! Double winners 172217+172216 rolled in! I mean, winners are always nice-and even better on a mandatory move, but to get two winners was fantastic! I took a bay of 4 for the 45 minute trip to Worcester, noting that a passenger boarded at Rowley Regis was ‘conveniently’ in dire need of a PNB all the way to Kidderminster. Luckily for him, he'd just finished by the time we arrived at Kidderminster-his destination... what an amazing coincidence!

After leaving Droitwich Spa, I checked RTT and saw we were 10 minutes from Worcester. I decided I'd have time for a lengthy PNB of my own. I was still... well... y'know, when the guard announced ‘shortly arriving into Worcester Shrub Hill'. I thought I'd misheard him until I heard the doors release! I quickly finished my business and eventually the guard appeared and told us to move into 172216 as they ‘needed the unit elsewhere’. We split and arrived into Worcester Foregate Street 5 minutes late. If anyone from West Midlands Trains is reading-up your game! I was rather unimpressed with the fact that I'd had no attempt at a ticket check between Runcorn and Worcester-and absolutely no mention that we'd be going into Shrub Hill, would need to change units or anything! And all this on a day where several TOC's RMT guards were taking Industrial Action over proposed expansion of DOO... Had I been a normal and not known, I would have insisted that there was no guard on the trains I'd used. I'm strongly against DOO as most on here know-but, should DOO spread to West Midlands Trains, if my experience is typical, the guards have shot themselves in the foot a long time ago from the public support point of view! I find it simply astounding that guards are happy to basically create the TOC's arguments for why DOO is ‘better'...

Anyway, rant over (for now...) I arrived into Foregate Street. After getting some ching, a supply raid and a ticket, I returned to the platform for the Brighton train. I knew it took a while... but 5 HOURS! 158763 was to be my first GWR 158 (yes, really...) round the curve back to Shrub Hill. I stood in the vestibule, the guard noticing my yellow RMT badge as we approached Shrub Hill. As it turned out, there was a second member of staff in the cab who was (originally) from Merseyside. I said goodbye to the friendly traincrew and awaited the Paddington train. The announcer said it was calling at Pershore and somewhere else additionally, so I scrapped my plan and decided to bail at Pershore.

I was surprised to get an RPI check onboard a busy winner 165105, after the trolley service had been through (which was an odd sight on a 3+2 seated unit!) The RPI looked at my ticket, scribbled on it and *then* decided to do a double take at my destination! After explaining my plan, he realised what I was doing, laughed and wished me a good day and continued up the train. I was soon off at the single platform shack of Pershore.

My eyes-or rather-nose caught sight of a burger van in the car park, so over I went. A cheeseburger was ordered whilst the people behind me (obviously regulars) weren't being particularly complimentary about GWR... resisting the temptation to say I'd only ever been impressed with GWR, I tucked into my burger, worked on my Rail Miles and the 40 minutes flew by. A much emptier winner 166209 rolled in to take me one shack onto Evesham. Bailing here, I waited for 43093 ‘Old Oak Common' leading a Hereford service a few minutes later. I had about 50 minutes here, so I headed off the shack-for I've started a new project. Now I’m of age, and can now therefore enjoy adult beverages (which I never did before, honest...) , I've now embarked on a quest to visit all the Wetherspoon pubs. There's one in Evesham so out comes the red pen!

A couple of pints were put away before a PNB and heading back to the shack. I knew what I was getting to Honeybourne now too as I'd seen it heading to Hereford at Foregate Street. Nearly empty winners 43136+43176 on an 11 late Paddington service were taken one stop down the line (again). I had nearly 50 minutes here and boy did that drag! The HST stayed at the platform for 5 minutes or so, as the guard alighted and proceeded to walk down the platform with a litter picker-whilst looking down into the cess. Once he'd rescued his torch, the train was underway!

After what felt more like 50 days than 50 minutes, dud (seriously...) 166221 arrived, which I was taking to Honeybourne. The guard on this service was, quite frankly, one of the best railwaymen I've ever met. As he came for tickets, he took the time to acknowledge each passenger's destination and thank them. He came to a couple who purchased tickets to Paddington in excess of £50 each. He then asked if they used the trains frequently and proceeded to tell them about the Two Together and Network Railcards-in great detail! He must have been talking to them for a good five minutes, his knowledge was almost unbelievable! (Plot twist: the guard is a member on here and will pop up in the comments...!) He advised me that the train didn't call at the destination on my ticket, which I thanked him and said I was aware of.

I wasn't looking forward to my 69 minute (don't...) fester at Moreton-in-Marsh, I got some pics of the turbo leaving and took a seat in the waiting room-which had a working plug socket in it! I was glad to see that, that's for sure! More spreadsheet updating was done, and I tucked into the scran I'd brought with me and the time passed quite quickly.

Winners 43096+43140 were working the 15:53 London Paddington service. I was this service for about 30 minutes, as far as Hanborough (I assume you can all see where I'm (literally) going with this...) Another friendly guard passed through the train, she glanced at my ticket and commented that ‘that was fine as it already had several scribbles on it’ shortly before Hanborough, I moved forward ‘due to the very short platform' to Coach A. I bailed out, and set off walking... straight up a driveway! That'll teach me for staring at Google Maps too literally... (at least it explained the weird looks I was getting...)

I of course turned round and followed the main road into the village. I knew I had to turn right once I passed the Co-op. However upon reaching the co-op, which I went in, I was confused as the road layout didn't match reality... (why does such a small village need TWO co-ops???)

Due to this, I walked about a quarter of a mile too far, so doubled back-following the signs for Combe. Once I was just over half a mile from the station, the walk became exactly how I'd feared it might. Pitch black, unlit country roads with hedges on both sides and no verge whatsoever... poo.

The Highway Code tells pedestrians to walk against the traffic in this scenario (I won't pretend I knew that...) and I used my torch as a light, which worked well. Cars were clearly aware of me as headlights were dipping in the distance, and I’d move as far off the road as I could. I made it safely to the station in one piece thanks to my quick thinking (noting that Finstock/Ascott-under-Wychwood/alighting at Combe should be left to the Summer months as I suspect the roads around the other ‘one a day' stations are similar?) And had around 30 minutes to wait. The platform at Combe is tiny, probably a pacer length. A couple of cars stopped outside about 15 minutes before the train, which my first thought was that something suspicious was occurring, however the truly unexpected thing happened when the train arrived. The Finstock Flyer was formed of a HST! The Power car, Coach A and one door of Coach B were platformed. That was it...

Winners 43130+43174 (which I couldn't ID at the time) took me back to Worcester. The guard welcomed me aboard as 8 people alighted, and I knew I recognised him. It was the guard I had on the 166 to Moreton-in-Marsh! I sat in Fishquinn’s favourite seat in Coach A for the 91 minute journey to Worcester Foregate Street. Or that was the plan...

Shortly before Evesham I went for a wander (partly tempted by the offer of reduced hot food in the buffet car). However there was only a toasted sandwich and a panini left-both of which had tomato on, which are disgusting things... upon ruling myself out of either for the aforementioned reason, the First Class host (who was stood opposite) shook my hand and explained he'd rather hold a tarantula than eat a tomato! Not sure I'd go THAT far... we stood having a chat for a few minutes until he had to go and clear up in First. This service isn't booked a HST, it's booked for a 5 car 800. ‘Apparently’...

Not sure what it is with GWR, but the crews I'd come across all day had all been fantastic and real assets to the railway-they must be a fantastic company to work for! West Midlands Trains take note...

We arrived into Worcester Shrub Hill just under 20 minutes late, which was quite a shock, but we had a 13 minute dwell so wasn't too concerned-I had a decent connection time at Foregate Street. But we didn’t immediately leave... we were told after a few minutes that a train had broken down blocking the single line between the Worcester stations. Now I was worried about my connection...

At 19:24, after I'd already had the ‘what if I miss my connection’ chat with a dispatcher, just 4 minutes before my connection from Foregate Street, the train was cancelled at Worcester Shrub Hill. We were advised that the Hereford train was ‘just behind' but it was actually 13 minutes late. Shortly after terminating, a pair of ECS 150/2s ran through non stop to Bristol. Line cleared. At 19:47, a train arrived in platform 1... but it wasn't a HST! It was a West Midlands Trains 170. Helpfully, the driver then dumped the train and buggered off! Cue an additional 10 minute delay to the GWR Service whilst another driver was found to move the 170. The thoughts of ‘piss up' and ‘brewery' sprung to mind here... I've not been particularly impressed with West Midlands Trains so far! Ok, I was rather fond of LM, but still...

Winner 43028 was leading the Hereford service. I bailed at Foregate Street at 20:02, and spoke to the staff-as my booked train was at 19:28! I was distracted by the (surprisingly very helpful) agency security staff asking where I was heading to and trying look at alternatives while the station staff were dispatching the HST. I acknowledged the rear power car number but forgot to note it down. The station staff asked what train I'd been on, so they could get the headcode. I said ’17:39 from Combe, which was the 17:25 off Oxford'. I hadn't been paying much attention to the passage of time-then it hit me! (Mainly due to the reaction from the staff when they realised It'd taken me nearly 2 hours 20 minutes to cover 49.6 miles!) I was given a revised arrival time into Runcorn, which was nearly 75 minutes later than planned. This wasn't ideal given I needed a lift home... I stated this and was offered the option of travelling to Warrington Bank Quay instead (with an itinerary issued with endorsement) so I took this. I thanked the very helpful staff and took advantage of the 25 minute fester to score a bonus ‘Spoons!

The pub was busy-but most people were eating, so the bar was quite quiet. I ordered a badly needed pint, which was gone in no time before I returned to the station to board my train to Brum. 2 170s, yuck! One required 170, not as yuck... a very empty 170516 led dud 170633 towards Brum. Or so I thought... ‘Shortly arriving into Worcester Shrub Hill’ I was becoming more convinced by the second that someone was extracting the urine this evening! After FINALLY leaving Shrub Hill (again!) We droned on towards Birmingham. And the run to Brum was absolutely perfect, the unit flew over the Lickey and we arrived into Brum with enough time for me to comfortably make my cross-platform interchange at the Bat Cave!

Then I woke up.

We departed Bromsgrove, slowly. The 323 infront had left Longbridge 7 late... we crawled through what I thought was Selly Oak. Bloody Kings Norton! We staggered along at speeds that makes the GTR Thameslink East Croydon stagger feel like Eurostar and eventually reached the Bat Cave at 21:32. My Liverpool train was at 21:36. Thankfully they'd put the 170s in a sensible platform to connect with the Liverpool service... or maybe not. Platform TWELVE. And where was the Liverpool train? Platform TWO. I headed over to Platform 2, calling the signallers of the West Midlands some very rude words for their actions this evening. I caught the train, an extremely tatty 350109 where, much like all the West Midlands Trains services I'd been on that day, the guard didn't feel the need to grace us with their presence (either by announcement whilst the train was in motion (as I obviously missed any pre-departure announcement) or by actually entering the carriage). The guards on the Liverpool services on LM were always VERY pro-active with revenue, it was unusual to not get gripped between Lime Street and South Parkway even! I don't think I've been gripped on WMT yet!

We arrived into Crewe early, so I had just over half an hour to wait. There's a very particular atmosphere in the platform 11 waiting room at Crewe late at night-the 4 or 5 passengers are exhausted and literally cannot think about anything other than sleep, whilst there's a seemingly alien member of traincrew sat wide awake in the corner!

Dud 390016 in the new white livery arrived about 6 early, and once again, ‘Arrive Awesome' I did not! I sat on the first seat I saw, which was by the wheelchair space in coach D. That meant I was subject to endless crap (sorry... couldn't resist!) From Will Farrell telling people he was watching them have a dump...
After 10 minutes I got sick of this and decided to get myself in position to alight as we were slowing down. But not for Warrington... a Class SIX freight running 85L had been let out in front of us, an EARLY Class ONE passenger! We stopped a couple of times between Acton Bridge and Warrington-with more obscenities aimed at Notwork Fail. I eventually, finally, arrived into Warrington Bank Quay at 23:27, 8 late. This meant that Combe to Warrington, a distance (in a straight line) of just 120 miles, had taken me just shy of SIX HOURS!

I'm really not looking forward to any of my future 5 visits to the Cotswolds Line quite frankly! The farce of a journey home really spoilt what until then had been a great day... I don't think it'll surprise many people if I say when I got some I went to bed and stayed there for a very long time!

Saturday consisted of a completely wasted day in Greater Manchester-albeit with two winner ‘Spoons, thanks to the signalling being wiped out at Edge Hill stopping me from reaching the better city in the North West...

Summary:
Shacks:6
Winner Locos:7
Winner Units:6
Winner ‘Spoons:2

Kite159

Veteran Member
Yes the other 2 once a day shacks on the Cotswold line are similar, narrow(ish) lanes with high hedges & no pavements. Definitely a job for the summer months.

Almost ended up on the same train as I was at University Friday Night trying to predict if the 170s would beat the late running 323s to the 2-track section after Kings Norton [as the PIS kept on swapping and changing]. Eventually the 323s popped up for the crawl to New Street

Last edited:

Established Member
‘The Red Pen Is Out! ‘Cos it’s new!’ 10/02/18

Hello! I'm back! Seems like ages since I last had a non-Merseyrail bash but here we go...

Speaking of Merseyrail-I've now had 250 miles on each 507, and just 8 508s don’t yet have that honour. My average mileage per unit is about 280 now... that’s a lot of trips round the loop!

Anyway-onto today’s (well-yesterday now) bash. I was on the last day of a weekly Merseyside Railpass-without a doubt the cheapest weekly rover a 16-18 year old can buy at just £16.25 for the week, and no restrictions at all. I'd racked up a LOT of PEP miles, best part of 1000 if not more without a doubt. My first move was the 07:58 Newton-le-Willows to Liverpool Lime Street, unusually formed of DMUs on this 319 dominated line. VERY unusually, it was formed of 2 pacers and a 156! The 156 was locked out-but a double pacer was overkill. I took a seat in the middle unit, 142053 for the all shacks 35 minute journey into Crime Street. Except... that was the plan...

All went well until departure from Wavertree Technology Park. We crawled out of the platform, and stopped at a red peg. My +8 connection had already been reduced by 25%... We stopped and waited. And waited. And waited... 08:43 came and went-I was still stopped outside Edge Hill! The journey resumed at 08:46 and we arrived into Crime Street at 08:55, 20 minutes late. I didn't have a ticket down to Brum yet-and was seriously considering not bothering and going for scran in ‘Spoons. I knew I didn't have to commit to anything until departure from Chester, so I ran down the escalator and dived onto the 08:58 Chester service. I had no idea which PEP I was on-I’d barely caught the train! 17 miles and 32 chains of 508 thrash were enjoyed on what is probably my most used UK Rail line and I alighted at Chester about 35 minutes later.

A quick look on RTT on the way down showed me I could get the Crewe shuttle at 09:55 and then I had a +31 at Crewe, which wasn't ideal. However, the 09:34 West Midlands Trains service from Liverpool to Brum had left about 2 minutes late-so I decided to hope for the best and go for it! I went through the barriers and purchased my ticket-one which I'm not elaborating on too much, however the origin is somewhere near Chester-and going via Chester is the only permitted route anyway (at this stage at least...) so I was very surprised that it rejected the barriers! (I couldn't be bothered getting my Railpass back out) but I was let through no problem. I suddenly realised I hadn't ID'd my Merseyrail unit, so ran over to 7B and saw it was 508140-which I'd ‘only’ had 255 miles on.
150285 was on the shuttle today, which dropped a lot of people off at Chester. The train was quite lightly loaded on the way back to Crewe. I sat on a table right at the front, and the guard appeared quite quickly. I half jokingly told him to tell the driver to put his put down-but we were already accelerating through 60mph! We sprinted along the surprisingly scenic line and managed to arrive into Crewe a couple of minutes early. As we rolled into platform 9, a West Midlands Trains 350 rolled in alongside! One fast walk later, and I was sat at a table seat on dud (class cleared apart from 350264) 350103 down towards Brum. The journey to Wolverhampton felt quite quick, even though it takes about 10 minutes longer than the pendo I'd planned to be on. I decided to bail at Wolves and see what units were knocking about. The starship on the Walsall was dud, as was the XC to Manchester and the Bristol. I went for a PNB before heading for the ex Shrewsbury 170s.

I was approached by someone on the platform doing surveys for the West Midlands Combined Travel Authority (I think that's the name!) Which I was happy to participate in-but as I don't use the trains in the Midlands regularly, I wasn't eligible. A voyager arrived to couple onto the one in platform 4 to form a London service and then 170509+170515 arrived. 509 was a winner, so on I went! I chose to bail at Sandwell & Dudley as I wanted a supply raid and a better unit. The Wolves bound starship was dud, so I went to the shop by the ticket office. As I went to get a drink out of the fridge, I managed to knock down the entire display of mints and chewing gum...

I apologised profusely to the shopkeeper, he came out and gave me a hand picking them all up and said it happens a lot-it's quite a tight space, and I had my bag on. Nothing was damaged thankfully so I paid for my drink and headed back upstairs. Duds 221113+221112 were working the Euston service which I boarded as far as the Bat Cave. My plan here was to ID any 323s and if none were required, head back to Smethwick on the Pwllheli service.

Four Oaks. Dud. Longbridge. Dud. Walsall. Dud. Redditch. TICK!

I spoke to the guard and bought a ticket before boarding-surprisingly I wasn't questioned as to how I'd got onto the platform. I bought a return to Five Ways which, in hindsight, I felt was a mistake as it was only 20p more to University and you get 170s there. Anyway, t'was done now. 323209 was taken the short distance to Five Ways, where a Brum bound 323 was just missed. The next one was running 6 late, so I was sat there for a wee while. The announcement warned of a ‘Fast Train' approaching-but I could have walked down the platform quicker than that XC Voyager passed through!

The starship arrived and was rammed. It was dud and the next one was 3 minutes away, so I flagged it.

Wise decision! 323203 fell to the red pen on the next-empty-service to New Street. I headed over to the Scouseland train (which I don't do very often at all...(!)) Formed of 350121 as far as Smethwick Galton Bridge. Miraculously I found the Snow Hell platform without getting lost! A required 172 passed the other way on a Kidderminster which I made a note of. I had a winner my way too-172221 leading dud 172220. I took these to Snow Hell and decided to fester there as I could easily go in either direction. I wasn't waiting long before winner 172218+dud 172212 rolled in on a (I think) Worcester service. I bailed at Jewellery Quarter, where I realised I'd just cleared 172/2s! Score! I flagged the next Snow Hell service as it was dud, but decided I was getting the one after as there was a Chiltern service due. Dud 172214 took me to Snow Hell, where I was very annoyed to see the Chiltern service was dud! A supply raid was undertaken whilst waiting for winner 172335 to take me from the worst station in Brum to the best! (Seriously... what the hell is that West Midlands Railway branding??!!)
Even the Gents has been sympathetically refurbished-the whole station is very impressive! It was an excellent place to wait for Phil Sayer (RIP) to tell me that the train was arriving. Dud 172343 took me back to Snow Hell where I had to make a difficult choice. Winner 172 or winner 168. I went for the 168 as they’re harder to get. I had a 15 minute wifi veg whilst waiting for ‘Chiltern Railways by arriva' operated 168113 to take me back through the tunnel. I was a bit bored of the 172s now, so I decided to take the next service to Smethwick Galton Bridge regardless, as it had a connection onto a starship to New Street.

The unexpected sight of winner 172337 was very welcome indeed! I took this through to Smethwick noting that these seats feel familiar...! I had a 15 minute fester, so I decided to see what rolled in on the Dorridge before heading downstairs. What did roll in was a really welcome sight, and the inspiration for the title of this report. West Midlands Railway liveried 172339! I boarded it as it was a winner and bailed out at The Hawthorns to get a decent picture and video of it. I'd decided I wasn't going to judge it until I saw it in the flesh and... well I actually kinda like it! The front looks wrong with the purple under the windscreen and yellow door though! Inside the stickers (CCTV notices ect) have been changed to WMR, but IIRC, the LM route maps remain. I did notice an oddity on the New Street platform at Galton Bridge though (and at Snow Hill)... A WMR branded poster advertising days out... in Liverpool! I could forgive it at Snow Hill as it's advertising to passengers using the WMR branded trains, but at Smethwick-which has the direct Liverpool service *operated under the LNWR brand*, nope.
Someone asked me at The Hawthorns what was special about 172339, so I explained it was the only unit in that livery. He said he wasn't a spotter per se, but takes an interest in the hobby of spotting itself-if that makes sense. We had a brief chat until I had to dash for the service back to Galton Bridge. Dud 172340 took me back to Galton Bridge and I said goodbye to the 172s for the day-which admittedly I actually quite like. I waited for the ATW service to New Street, declaring that if Damien was in the consist I was going to refuse to board. (See my North Wales Flexipass reports of late August/Early September...) Thankfully, 158839+158831 produced. Both duds-I only need 3 or 4 Arriva sprinters, and they're all 153s.

A PNB was had and my plan was to fester at New Street until the 17:05 Shrewsbury service. As I alighted, I saw my last 220! Believing it to be on the Manchester service, I ran like f*** to platform 6B... to get bowled out by 220022. 220030 was on the GUILDFORD. BALLS. I took a seat to wait for the 16:57 Man Picc, noting that New Street is actually an ok place to wait these days. I particularly like the appearance of the many platforms underground. I wasn't waiting long before 323205 rolled in on a Cross City North working. I legged it over to 8B after working out I could go to Duddeston and get back. 323205 was fairly busy-I could have probably found a seat, but for 4 minutes I couldn't be bothered. 323205 has had work done to the interior with new LED lighting-it looks pretty smart actually.

A +3 was had at Duddeston-with me praying 323220 would drop, however I was given dud 323218 instead. We rolled into platform 5B at the Bat Cave, which was handy as the Shrewsbury was on 4C. West Midlands Trains had kindly sent winner 170635 tonight. Winner unit to a winner shack-that's what we like to see! I took a table in the nearly empty front coach-the rear coach was practically full and standing. I had some scran and a drink as the 170 began to drone out of New Street. Upon arrival at Wolverhampton, I found out Wolves had been playing... I think everyone got on! I heard the platform staff repeatedly asking people for Telford, Wellington and Shrewsbury to wait for the ATW service however. I was joined by 3 friendly theatre goers at my table-who also were oblivious to the kickball. I was glad not to be joined by football fans, as they'd probably assume as a young bloke I'd been to the match and start talking about football! Which I'd have no real problem with-except their rail knowledge would be better than my football knowledge so we wouldn't get very far!

I was told, after explaining what I do shack scratching wise-which everyone thinks is fantastic actually! I was talking to a couple on a Southport train the other day about it and they knew that it was a thing as ‘that couple did it in summer'. Geoff and Vicki have made it SO much easier as people at least have a rough idea what is entails! (Though, of course, they scored very few shacks on my rules...) They told me that there was a good Micropub in the station building at Albrighton-well... it’d be rude not to wouldn't it! I believe my reply was along the lines of ‘I wish you hadn't told me that...’

I had an hour at the required shack Albrighton, had I set up camp in the shelter, I would quite probably have not seen the pub at all. It was quite busy when I entered-always a good sign! I sampled a couple of the ales, the first one I wasn't keen on at all-the second was quite nice. (Appropriately given where I spend most of my time, Liverpool Pale Ale!) The friendly Barman noticed my RMT DOO badge and mentioned that he was involved with a union and we had a chat about railways, shack scratching and the like, until he had to go and catch his train to Wolverhampton.

Eventually it was time for me to return to the freezing cold platform and catch the train up to Shrewsbury. Fresh duds 170509+170515 arrived-much emptier than the previous train. I sat at a table seat and tried to keep my eyes open. Which I succeeded in until Oakengates. I woke up on arrival to Shrewsbury (I was watching Titanic on Film4+1 the night before-it only started at 10PM... nearly 2AM by the time that finished!). We'd arrived late and I now had a +5. From the Brum bound bay platform to platform 3. Great... down through the ticket barriers, out the station, up the stairs and onto 175009.

Phew! I, sensibly, set an alarm on my phone predicting I'd fall asleep again. All I remember is calling at Chirk! Next thing I know a group of women woke me up saying (I thought) I was an hour past my stop! Not having a clue where we were, I fully believed them. I looked at my watch-which didn’t add up. It took me about 5 minutes to work out we were on the approach to Chester and all was fine! I had no knowledge at all of my alarm going off-but apparently it was, that's why they woke me up.

I got on the Liverpool train-which was about 3 minutes late leaving. The famous John of Merseyrail's Wirral Line was the guard this evening. I told him to make sure I got off at Lime Street and drifted in and out of consciousness. I was awake at Hamilton Square, however declined the offer of crossing the Sunshine State and into the Pleasure Peninsula of West Kirby or New Brighton. We were told at Moorfields that the train was running semi fast back to Chester as we were now 6 late. I was quite jealous and admittedly tempted to stay on to Hooton. But not getting home-and being on stalker 508122 put me off! Seriously-that thing turns up EVERY day... and any time I use Merseyrail and HAVE to board a specific train!

There were more problems-the 21:20 Man Vic hadn't left yet, as 319442 had sat down again at Wavertree. That didn't affect Cheshire Lines however, and I boarded 150269 on the 21:55 Occy Road stopper. A group of women seemed to recognise me-and appeared rather confused! They were the people who woke me up on the hippo! Turned out they (for some reason-no idea why) thought I was getting OFF at Shrewsbury-and had said I was an hour past my stop! Makes sense now... they got off at Edge Hill (don't...) so I moved into their seats. We were held outside South Parkway for no apparent reason for nearly 15 minutes, and the 21.6 mile journey home took a few minutes shy of an hour!

I was rather glad to get home and get to bed at the end of a long, very productive day in an area I need (relatively) little! No idea when or where my next proper trip will be, but I suspect it will involve either Northern's £10 Press offer-or probably another trip to the East Midlands with a free Northern single to Nottingham and another £5.35 EMT & Connections Bingham-Birchwood advance. *SkegVegas I'm possibly looking at you* I've also been looking into (as a half day trip) a pendo advance to Nuneaton then a return to Stamford clearing all that lot... (I can hear the 170 droneage already!)

Summary:
1 winner shack
12 winner units

Techniquest

Veteran Member
Dear god I hope you don't willingly go for more droneage!

An interesting sounding day on my stomping grounds there, fair play :)

Status
Not open for further replies.