• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

185143-Trip Publishing Expected?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Keith Jarrett

That app definitely looks useful. 255 & 260 from Kite's list seem to be out to play this afternoon.

As for the trip around Scotland, what a long day! But successful even though you had to explain shack scratching to a hen party. Most folk don't understand the concept until you compare it to visiting, say, all 92 league football grounds except that shack scratching is on a much larger scale.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

noddy1878

Established Member
Sounded like a good day! That's a nifty app! I've just installed it! Just need to go to Scotland now! :lol:

Established Member
One ‘Moor’ Northern Shack-14/04/17

This turned out to be quite a hastily planned trip-it was planned for a West Yorkshire Dayrover in a couple of weeks, but hey. My Dad woke me at around 08:45 to tell me that his flying lesson/experience had been cancelled (I was meant to be riding passenger) due to the weather. As such, I decided today would be the day I could visit Low Moor-finishing Northern for shacks for the 4th time in my life!

I hadn’t charged my phone the night before so I plugged it in and went downstairs for breakfast. Needing to wait for the phone to charge (it’s battery is crap, there was no way I was going out on less than 100%!) delayed departure a bit. Living in Birchwood means I have an hourly TPE service to West Yorkshire-but I wouldn’t be using that. Aside from being far too tight to buy a walk up across the Pennines, that wouldn’t fill the day would it! If you are only interested in trains, you may as well stop reading...

I drove my Dad’s car to the East Bond Street stop on the Leigh Guided Busway, and boarded dud 39256 for the 45 minute journey to Manchester. The bus was busy already, as usual, and every seat upstairs was occupied before the end of the Busway. I much prefer the Stagecoach 34 for this reason, and because I prefer Stagey’s seating, the wifi is better (and unlimited, unlike stingy FirstBus who limit it!) And the USB chargers are FAR more powerful! But Stagey don’t cross the Pennines so hey. Upon arrival at Piccadilly Gardens, I headed to the stand for the 184 Huddersfield service. First’s app (if you haven’t downloaded the new one yet-WHATEVER YOU DO, DON’T!), First’s website and TfGM all said different times for the Huddersfield bus. I decided to trust TfGM who insisted it was a Sunday service, and the timetable in the shelter said the next bus was 12:17. I had just over an hour to kill. I headed over to the main bus station, and after a short wait, boarded winner 33848 on a 42 towards Sale. A friend had phoned me, and I spent most of the journey to the end of the curry mile on the phone. I alighted to take dud 33841 back to Piccadilly Gardens.

After a quick supply raid from Morrisons, I headed to the 184’s stop. The bus (dud 33681) arrived shortly after, proudly displaying the destination ‘Uppermill’. The driver was adamant that it was correct, and the bus was not going to Huddersfield. I got on it anyway however. It turned out the 184 was running the Saturday timetable-I’d needlessly wasted an hour! TfGM and First Manchester you have a strongly worded complaint heading your way there! I alighted in Oldham about half an hour later to wait to see when/if a Huddersfield bus actually turned up. I found out that the 184 was not running a Sunday service 15 minutes later when dud (I always have such crap luck on First Manchester-and I’ve only had around ¼ of the fleet!) 33670 for the 70-odd minute journey up to Huddersfield. After about 15 minutes I regretted not going for a PNB... the bus was practically empty (unsurprising-no one knows when the things are running!) And was completely empty upstairs for the stunningly scenic journey over to the wrong side of the Pennines. The scenery wasn’t nearly as impressive as normal due to the weather, but was still pretty good. The 184 is my favourite bus route by a long way.

Arriving into Huddersfield at 14:35, a few minutes late due to bad traffic on the edge of the town centre, and after literally running to the loo, I headed over to the station. Noticing a queue at the ticket office, I went to a machine. I typed in ‘Low’ and nearly bought a ticket to Lowestoft. Low Moor wasn’t on the machine! EXTREMELY poor show TPE, it’s even in the same PTE! Nevertheless, ticket office happily sold me the ticket and I went over to the 14:50 ‘Bradford Interchange’ train on Platform 7, formed of winner 144001. It was a nice thrashy, bouncy half an hour ride, with the guard appearing to check my ticket just as I’d stuck a sandwich in my gob. Oh well! He kindly checked the rest of the carriage and returned once I’d finished. I arrived at Low Moor at 15:23, so I had just over 40 minutes to wait until the train back to Huddersfield. A few other passengers alighted, which was good to see. Low Moor certainly seems to have a lot of potential, it’s in a well built up area and very close to a Chemical plant-complete with unnerving signage detailing what to do if it goes bang!

Thankfully there were no unexpected explosions, and an ex Merseyrail pacer was spotted on a Leeds-Manchester service during my 40 minutes at Low Moor. Winner 158844 (yes, really!) Arrived to form the 16:06 Huddersfield service-which don’t show on any departure screens! Station signage refers to ‘This Platform for services to Huddersfield, Brighouse and Manchester’. There are no Manchester services call at Low Moor. There is also no mention of the GC London services! The journey back to Huddersfield felt *really* slow, however we arrived on time. I headed to the waiting room for some phone charging time as I had 45 minutes before my bus across the hills. Unfortunately, I lost track of time and missed it..

No problem, I’d get the next one. I stayed in the waiting room for a bit longer and eventually left for the bus station via the chippy. The exact words I shouted across the bus station when 33670 rolled to form the 18:30 service to take me back to Manchester are unrepeatable, but lets just say it rhymes with duck! It’s a long journey back to Manchester, granted. (Around 1hr 55 mins), but it gave me plenty of time to type this report! Manchester city centre was very busy when I arrived, and I had about 15 minutes until the V1 to Leigh. I went for a PNB in McDonald’s then went to Stop P. Dud 39244 (this is getting slightly tedious now...) arrived shortly after to take me back to Leigh.

Techniquest

Veteran Member
I've never done the trek over the Pennines on a bus, sounds worth a look though. Apart from the lousy information provided mind! What's the ching like?

Established Member
£4.50 for a FirstDay which is valid on any First bus in Greater Manchester+the 100 to Warrington, 184 to Huddersfield, 589 to Burnley and 590 to Halifax. Its 30p cheaper if you use the First M-ticket app though.

noddy1878

Established Member
Good getting in Low Moor! But you did it the very way I would never do, by using a bus to cover most of your journey! ;)

fishquinn

Established Member
Associate Staff
Quizmaster
I've just caught up. A good few trips there - that app sounds very funky. I certainly don't approve of your way of getting to Huddersfield though, even if it did save you a couple of quid!

Established Member
I've just caught up. A good few trips there - that app sounds very funky. I certainly don't approve of your way of getting to Huddersfield though, even if it did save you a couple of quid!

Saved me nearly £8!

Established Member
To Nottingham... and beyond!-22/04/17

I’d been planning this bash for a while, however not actually got round to it until today. I had arranged to meet a friend for the day too. I woke up shortly before my alarm at 06:25, mainly as a PNB was very urgently required! I did that then went downstairs for breakfast. I left the house just before 7AM for a lift to Birchwood station. I arrived to just watch the 07:04 Oxford Road service depart! This was going to completely screw up my plan, so my Dad gave me a lift to Piccadilly in plenty of time for the 07:49 Sheffield service. I was using a complimentary return ticket, issued as delay repay for a delay in January, which I received last week. 142003 was bouncing me to Sheffield this morning, with my friend joining me at Romiley. The bouncy ride over to Sheffield was very enjoyable, and we just missed (as planned) a Nottingham 158. Time to fester on the tram stop then! I need just one tram, 118.

Dud, dud, dud, dud, WINNER!! 118 PRODUCED! We boarded-the guard approached us to ask where we were going, to get the answer ‘errrr.....’. We were still at the platform-the driver mockingly made a PA announcement saying ‘make your mind up lads!’ We headed off at Granville Road, as we could easily walk back to the station, via McDonald’s for a celebratory breakfast! Winner 158859 produced for the 45 minute (or so) journey down to winner shack Ilkeston-with the Salisbury exile passing us at ChesVegas. We sat on the platform for around half an hour until 158788 arrived heading to Norwich. I asked the guard for permission to board (due to my Northern ticket) which was happily granted-my friend had an any TOC permitted ticket so he was fine.

The service was a busy single 158, with a few standees-however most of us could have probably found seats had we really tried. Arrival into Nottingham was punctual around 10 minutes later. We had a bit of time to kill so, after sourcing our tickets from the ticket office, we went to the Tesco Express outside and recharged our devices in the waiting room. We headed for the 12:45 SkegVegas train, formed of dud 156404 which we would take to Radcliffe. The guard made us aware that the train didn’t stop at Elton and Orston, which we obviously knew.

We had a 3 hour fester at Radcliffe-which went surprisingly quickly actually! Radcliffe turned out to be a nice little village-seemingly far more populated than the train service would lead you to believe! The free public loo was appreciated as well! A couple of other passengers joined us, looking rather confused-as they were expecting ticket buying facilities. A fairly busy, and dud 156411 arrived to take us two stops down the line to Aslockton. From here, we would have to walk to Elton and Orston-approximately 1.8 miles by rail, but 3 miles by road. We had 64 minutes to make the 58 minute walk. A word of warning-you find yourself walking down a grass verge at the side of the road for about 1 mile. The walk was pleasant enough-and we arrived at Elton and Orston with around 10 minutes to spare.

Dud 156470 arrived to take us to Bottesford, our final required station of the day. Two of my friends bailed at Elton and Orston, kindly making a rude gesture at us as the train approached. The guard looked amazed that four people were using the station-that’s for sure! We both went for a PNB and alighted at Bottesford-the least used station in Leicestershire. We were invited to change at Grantham by the guard-obviously we couldn’t travel from Elton and Orston to Nottingham direct, however as Grantham is a much easier shack to score than Bottesford, we politely declined the offer.

We had around 40 minutes at Bottesford-a nice sit down in the shelter was much appreciated! Quite a few people joined us to board dud 156497 to Nottingham, which wasn’t busy and we found an empty table with ease. The guard appeared and checked our tickets-passing a comment on the unusual origin! After Bingham, and the ticket had checked all tickets, he came back to us for a chat. He told us he was a basher and we had a good chat about shack scratching and rover tickets! He was a really nice guy, presumably a Boston guard?, as he said he wasn’t based at Nottingham. We said goodbye on the platform and we festered in the waiting room for 50 minutes, as we’d just missed the Northern service to Sheffield. Dud 158844 was busy in the front coach, but the rear coach was nearly empty. It was on this journey where things went a bit wrong...

We both got up after Dronfield for a PNB, and decided not to return to our seats, as we were practically in Sheffield. I would later come to regret that! Arrival into Sheffield was punctual and we had just over 20 minutes to kill. Another Supply raid was taken, and we boarded dud 142014 back across the Hope Valley on the 20:35 back to Piccadilly. Much like the previous train, the front coach was nearly empty-so we took a bench near the front of the carriage. The guard commenced a ticket check shortly after departure. Remember how I said I’d regret not going back to my seat? I’d left my tickets on the table! The guard asked for our tickets-my friend showed his, and as I was still looking for mine, he offered to return after Dore (as we were approaching). It was then when I realised my tickets were on the way to Leeds! The guard asked where I was travelling to-so I said Manchester, then Birchwood. He was, understandably, baffled why I hadn’t boarded the EMT 3 minutes earlier! I explained that I had a Northern complimentary ticket, and exactly where it was. I offered the fare but was told not to worry about it-plus another passenger said he’d seen me show a ticket to the guard on the Nottingham-Leeds train. The journey, very unusually, seemed to pass quickly. I thanked the guard again at Piccadilly, and he made sure I was ok getting back to Birchwood.
I boarded the 22:16 Preston service, formed of dud 185140 for a famous Occy Road leap, alighting very shortly later. I decided to wait for the 23:20 stopper, so I had about an hour to kill. Eventually,after my phone was fully charged, I boarded 142051+156472 for a nice bouncy ride home, which was busy, with several people standing after Deansgate-but not nearly as busy as the TPE looked. After sorting a brief interlock problem at Deansgate, we eventually thrashed away without further issues.

On the whole a very good day, with some annoying shacks cleared (but Aslockton and Elton and Orston not fully cleared thanks to my rules!). I’ve had this planned for a while, it was just actually getting round to doing it-plus tram 118 has been annoying me (and Kite159) as I’ve needed it for ages!

Shacks:4 (I’m counting Aslockton and Elton and Orston as half each)
Winners:1 (shocking luck as usual!)

Kite159

Veteran Member
Sounded like a good day trip, well done on getting some of the awkward stations into your book between Nottingham & Grantham, the other side is harder (Grantham to Skegness) ;)

Established Member
Sounded like a good day trip, well done on getting some of the awkward stations into your book between Nottingham & Grantham, the other side is harder (Grantham to Skegness) ;)

Not to mention more expensive!

Techniquest

Veteran Member
Congratulations on getting some of the tougher shacks in the book, and you were dead lucky in getting home without some extreme ching!

Established Member
Congratulations on getting some of the tougher shacks in the book, and you were dead lucky in getting home without some extreme ching!

I could have done it for just over £10, assuming the guard had been prepared to sell me a loophole ticket, with railcard discount-but still...

fishquinn

Established Member
Associate Staff
Quizmaster
Saved me nearly £8!
Not much in the grand scheme of things ;)

Sounds like a good day out to Nottinghamshire there. I won't mention the stupidly long festers (3 hours? Really?). Are you developing a bad habit of leaving things on trains now, too? :lol:

Kite159

Veteran Member
All I can remember of Radcliffe is the many buses serving the village from Nottingham, and the nice little ride to Bingham [a station I've boarded a train twice but never have alighted at] :lol:

Established Member
Not much in the grand scheme of things ;)

Sounds like a good day out to Nottinghamshire there. I won't mention the stupidly long festers (3 hours? Really?). Are you developing a bad habit of leaving things on trains now, too? :lol:
If you can find a way to put Radcliffe, Aslockton, Elton and Orston and Bottesford together bearing in mind my rules-I'd like to hear it!:D (obviously I will need to return to Aslockton and Elton and Orston)

Established Member
A day of buses-07/05/17

Today’s Bank Holiday Bash was to be a West Yorkshire Train DayRover-something I’d been intending on doing for a while. I was going today as I’d had gen that my last 142 had spent the night at Harrogate.
I would be heading to the wrong side of the Pennines on the 08:25 Piccadilly Gardens-Huddersfield service-which unlike Good Friday was definitely 100% running a Sunday service, which I checked on the West Yorkshire ‘Metro’ site! As I boarded the bus, after a (very) quick supply raid, I noticed it was winner 33663. The more observant amongst you may remember my complaints of having crap luck on First Manchester-I knew from then that this would be a good day! It was a very pleasant journey over the hills-albeit a bit hazy actually crossing the Pennines. I must admit, the image of Fishquinn screaming at a very long bus journey and then chasing a 142 did enter my mind at several points! I wonder which he’d think was worse...

I was hoping for a bacon butty in Huddersfield, however I chose to take the 185, dud 185107 to Leeds instead. I’d tracked down my pacer so therefore knew where I needed to be. We arrived into Leeds a few minutes late which, as anyone will tell you, is totally unheard of on TPE... however this was a blessing in disguise! I had planned to take the 10:40 Bradford Forster Square to Shipley, simply for mileage-however I missed it....and fell onto double winners 158855+158851 working a Carlisle service! MYLORDZ! Whilst waiting for departure, winner 158861 arrived ex Man Vic. It’s diagram was noted and would be intercepted later.

The service departed on time with a reminder from the guard to sit on the right to look at Ribblehead viaduct, and arrived into Shipley about 15 minutes later. As the train arrived in the platform, I realised I urgently needed a PNB-which I would have to take on the train back t’Leeds. Dud 333005 rolled in-I ran to the onboard facility, which was locked and had a brown liquid seeping through the side... great! I found the 11:29 ‘Poppleton’ service-announced onboard as ‘service to Poppleton calling Burley Park, Headingley.....and Poppleton. The service then continues to York’ The train was rammed, however the bog was working-which more than satisfied my requirements! I alighted at Horsforth about 15 minutes later to await 142022, which was due in about 25 minutes. That was a very tense wait!

You can therefore imagine how bad my language was when an ex-Merseyrail pacer rolled around the bend! That was until I saw what was on the rear-I’d finally found my last Northern 142! I couldn’t get on quick enough, I was delighted! It was a nice bouncy ride back to Leeds, where no required units were expected for a wee while. Therefore I boarded winner 91130 which was pushing the 12:45 to Kings Cross (hears screams from Hereford...). The journey was ok, and I got some charge in my phone in the journey down to Wakefield Westgate. After a fairly short fester, I took dud 142050 to Outwood as my last 321/9 passed me on the 91. After a very short fester, 321902 arrived on the Donny stopper, clearing 321/9s. Yes I know there’s only 3 321/9s but still! This was taken back to Wakey where I stayed for about 10 minutes until winner 144006 arrived on the Huddersfield stopper. As well as being a winner, it also meant I avoided a vomiter back to Leeds! I hopped off at the S-Hole also known as Kirkgate. A few duds arrived which I flagged until I got bored, and it was 15 minutes until the next train. 158850 to Leeds!

The train wasn’t busy, however it seemed to take all day to reach Leeds! Upon arrival, I had to choose between a winner 158 on a Sheffield express, or a winner 144 on a Sheffield stopper. Guess which one I chose...

Bounce, bounce, squeal, nod! Winner 144013 back to Wakey Westgate it was then! I deliberately let dud for the day 142050 depart, and went on a hunt for a plug socket... which was unsuccessful. I went into the customer service office, where the staff were kind enough to plug my phone in. I think it was only into a computer though as it went from 1% to 5% in 15 whole minutes! Still, better than nowt! I boarded the 15:33 VTEC to Leeds, which had Coach D reservations in Coach F-simply a coach short, nothing too exciting! Dud 91109 was the loco for this leap. As I boarded I had to shift a suitcase someone had carelessly left in front of the accessible bog-as a wheelchair user was intending to alight and couldn’t get past. A family with two young children came and parked themselves in the wheelchair space across from where I was sat. I’d obviously had all of their luck for today, as the Father of the family worriedly asked me where the guard (I am NOT using the ‘T M words thank you!) was-the young son had left the entire families tickets on the bench! As well as that, they’d been in a car crash (hence being on the train) AND the younger daughter had managed to smash her glasses! I, sadly, had to admit I didn’t know-but sent him to the Foodbar where the staff pointed him in the right direction.

The sight of winner 322484 meant I had to dash at Leeds-so I never saw how that panned out unfortunately I could only take this to Outwood. Still, it was a nice thrashy run nonetheless! Dud (obviously) 142087 bounced in to take me to Leeds for the final time today. The previously mentioned train company where delays are unheard of were running 17L-very unusual on TPE! The 17:44 Manchester service arrived which took all the normals-leaving full and standing as a result. The 17:37 arrived shortly after, which was a nice 6 car 185105 and 185107. As I had 107 earlier, I took an empty table in 105. We didn’t lose any more time, and arrived into Huddersfield at 18:15-giving me 20 minutes to get to my bus. I headed over to the bus station after a PNB where I couldn’t believe my luck! Winner 33679! This has been one of my best bashes in a while!

I took my usual seat (upstairs, front window seat on the left hand side) for the journey across the hills. I never tire of this route, and the scenery looked even more stunning than usual-probably as I was in such a good mood! The journey didn’t feel like the hour and 40 minutes it takes by any means-it is truly stunning as you pass over the Pennines. Upon arrival in Manchester, I discovered that the Vantage bus routes had been moved. I didn’t really know where the bus went from, and couldn’t really be bothered finding it- so I went to Shudehill for the 67 instead! Dud 37385 (knew that wouldn’t last!) Took me back to Cadishead, where I got a lift home.

One of the most productive and enjoyable days (outside of the Merseyrail network) I’ve had for a long time-been one of those rare days when everything goes well!

8 winner units (last Northern 142)(last 321/9)
1 winner loco
2 winner Buses

Kite159

Veteran Member
Sounded like a productive day in West Yorkshire, congrats on clearing the Northern 142s and 321/9s :)

Just the likes of 142082 in Cardiff to go for the 142s ;)

Established Member
Sounded like a productive day in West Yorkshire, congrats on clearing the Northern 142s and 321/9s :)

Just the likes of 142082 in Cardiff to go for the 142s ;)

*Hunts for pictures of 175003*

Established Member
This bus route sounds like it might be worth a go, despite it being first. Whats the standard vehicle allocation on this run and what are they like?

Enviro400, I quite like them actually. Its fun hearing the bus struggling up the hills:D

TC60054

I was hoping for a bacon butty in Huddersfield, however I chose to take the 185, dud 185107 to Leeds instead. I’d tracked down my pacer so therefore knew where I needed to be. We arrived into Leeds a few minutes late which, as anyone will tell you, is totally unheard of on TPE... however this was a blessing in disguise!

It's a damn sight more common than you ever give them credit for.

fishquinn

Established Member
Associate Staff
Quizmaster
A waste of a day out ;). I'd prefer the bus bashing to pacer bashing, but only just - bus bashing really is sad, especially just to save a few quid ;). How many northern units do you now need?

Status
Not open for further replies.