• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

185143-Trip Publishing Expected?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Techniquest

Veteran Member
Congratulations on clearing the 321/9s and the Northern 142s. I won't mention how all ATW 142s have been dud since 2005...oh wait, I just did :lol:

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Established Member
Reading between the lines... 13/05/17

The day started badly. I had intended on being on the 07:11 Euston service from Wilmslow-however I missed it...

I left the house at around 07:20, in time to get to Wilmslow for the next London train. I had no idea what would happen today-I was using a cheap ticket I know of (as well as another couple) to assist in getting to Reading for less than £20 return on walk up tickets-and no I won’t care to expand on that! I’d bought the dodgy ticket on Friday night in case Wilmslow refused to sell it. I sourced a return from Royal Leamington Spa to Banbury, along with a Cherwell Valley Day Ranger and headed to the platform, where I was greeted with the sight of a decapitated pigeon... shortly followed by a magpie coming and pecking away at it... I was starting to taste my breakfast again...

Winner 390119 thankfully arrived to take me to Crewe, without a ticket check on the riskiest part of the journey on that particular ticket. I discovered I would be at Crewe for longer than expected as I had just missed a train to Stafford. A dud 350 arrived, which I flagged in favour of the London via Brum service. Big mistake! 221115 was working it... my journey this time was made in a much more sober state than when I had it to Glasgow! The journey was quite pleasant, until the TM appeared... (nothing personal just in case you are reading!) thankfully the ticket just got a glance and a stamp. First grip passed! I alighted at Wolverhampton to hurry over the bridge towards the XC Bournemouth service, along with most of the passengers from the VT service thanks to its stupidly long layover at Wolves...

Very unusually for an XC service, dud 221139 was absolutely rammed! XC is normally famous for carrying masses of fresh air isn’t it, especially on the Voyagers which are far too long for the services they work... I promise I’m not taking the mick at all! As such, I was stood all the way to Leamington Spa, with no grip occurring whatsoever. After a short wait, I boarded a much emptier 168107-which I was very annoyed to see was dud! I muttered a few expletives when I saw it was dud from a Snow Hill leap too!

At Banbury, I hurried over to winner 165121 and sat in the Declassified First class section-shoutout to Kite159 for that gen! The journey down to Oxford was very good, despite a very annoying wheel flat right underneath me. On arrival at Oxford, I hurried straight to a turbo waiting to leave to Oxford, which was frustratedly dispatched as I hurried towards it. GRR! An XC service, formed of dud 220023 arrived, and after a quick conversation with the TM, who openly admitted he’d never heard of the Cherwell Ranger (it’s only valid on GWR) gave me permission to board. Score!

As my plan was out of the window, I’d decided to head to Reading and work my way back. (I had no choice now anyway!) At Reading, after getting lost, I eventually found platform 12B. I received a message from Fishquinn saying he was HST bashing and was on a pair I’d just seen leave towards London! He said he thought he’d seen me, but discounted it because of the location. I boarded winner 165108 to Pangbourne, alighting for a short fester about 8 minutes later.

After picking up a couple of GWR’s amazing Network maps, I boarded winner 165111 back to Tilehurst. I literally only had time to cross the bridge and board winner (it’s not obvious I’d only had 2 GWR shacks before today is it...) 166215 through to Cholsey. I had about 25 minutes here, so I borrowed some electricity and ate lunch, much enjoying HST thrash every few minutes! Ham and cheese sandwich devoured, it was time to board winner 165107 back one shack to Goring & Streatley. As I alighted the train, I noticed £1 credit in the vending machine. Drink for 70p, yes please! I put a new £1 coin into the machine which it rejected. Somehow, the change slot was jammed and I was unable to retrieve my money! I phoned the company, where an voicemail facility told me customer services was closed, but I could email-so I spent much of the fester doing exactly that. 165112 soon arrived to take me to Didcot Vegway, where I had a 30 minute fester. 43188 (The Welshman) was observed departing for London Paddington. I had hoped to see 43002 at some point, but it was on the charity tour to Minehead so it was not to be. Ah well. I noticed a sign for a Spar next to the ticket office, so I headed for that. And walked straight out again when I saw how chingy the drinks were!

The ticket didn’t work the barrier, and the gateline attendant couldn’t resist making a comment about the fact I’d bought it so far out of area! I was let through with no problem however-I seem to recall reading on here of a GWR RPI trying to PF someone because their ranger was issued far out of area? I boarded winner 165102, taking an ex First Class seat for the journey to Radley. After a 16 minute fester I reboarded fresh dud 165112 to winner shack Culham. A couple of normals followed me over to the other side for a 7 minute fester. They’d just missed the Oxford train, and Radley is only served once per hour, so it was quicker to change at Culham.

Arriving at Oxford, I was unsure what to do. I only needed Appleford and the shacks between Banbury and Oxford now. I settled on the shacks requiring fairly lengthy festers while the sun was out, and after a supply raid, boarded fresh dud 165121 to Heyford. I had an hour fester here, which was mainly spent doing mileage and on the phone to one of my mates asking what time my train from the bat cave was. 165121 returned and I had an urgently needed PNB before alighting at Tackley, the final required shack of the day. A 45 minute fester was had here before taking 165121 back to Banbury.

The PiS on the Brum bound platform had malfunctioned as it continued to show the 18:37 Snow Hill train, 15 minutes after it had departed, and until arrival of the 18:57 Manchester Piccadilly service. I was going to Manchester, but couldn’t go via Stoke due to the dodgy ticket I was using. I stayed on dud 220033 through to Stafford, which was actually very pleasant! It wasn’t busy at all and I had a pair of airline seats to myself all the way. The TM didn’t grace me with his (until New Street) or her (afterwards) presence at all, so I never got gripped (phew!). My phone also went from 4% to 78%, which was greatly appreciated!

I had a 25 minute fester here until taking a completely empty Coach U on dud 390132 to Crewe where the train terminated. I was the only person to board at Stafford too! The TM never came gripping either, thankfully.

I quickly crossed the bridge at Crewe and hopped on board (VTEC joke) dud 390013 towards Manchester. There was a very strong smell of alcohol coming out of the carriage-turns out it was from a birthday party in the middle of the train, who I ended up sat across the aisle from. I bailed at Stockport, without a grip, in the hope of a winner to Piccadilly. I wasn’t there for long until winner 221127 pulled in... I had to seriously think about whether I wanted to take it or not, but I chose to board. Arriving at Piccadilly at 22:02, I hurried over to platform 14, noting the Northern TVM on the footbridge was out of service, so I was unable to buy a ticket to Birchwood without delaying my journey an hour. High mileage dud 185141 pulled in to take me the 13 miles back to Birchwood. The service was actually on time and I didn’t get gripped. Birchwood ticket office was shut at that time too...

It then occurred to me that I could have easily (and legitimately) travelled back from Tackley ticketless... it’s an unstaffed station, I never got gripped on any train I used and would have had to delay my journey at an intermediate station to get a ticket (unless the TVMs at Stafford sell tickets from other stations?)
Overall, despite the high vomiter mileage, a great day with 12 shacks scored in an area of the country I’ve never really bashed before!

Winner shacks:12
Winner units:10

Techniquest

Veteran Member
That's quite a productive but long day there! Tackley is required here and scheduled to be dealt with soon. I really want some Turbo thrash!

FQ

Established Member
Associate Staff
Quizmaster
You hadn't had Banbury, Oxford, Didcot or Reading before yesterday?! Wow! As I said yesterday, you're crazy to get that voyager. Did you know that, if you'd waited at Banbury for an extra 10 minutes you could've got a cat through to Brum? I still maintain my view that, for the sake of your sanity, you should've got off that voyager at the first possible moment and walked.

Techniquest

Veteran Member
Ah but Quinn, he was desperate for phone charging as usual (I swear you need to change your phone use habits Jamie!) so getting a socket and staying with it would have been a good idea.

Mind you, I seem to have a need for a battery 3 times bigger than I have in my phone on a fair few trips! Even better would be about 5 times the data I have, then I would have far less boring festers! <D

Established Member
You hadn't had Banbury, Oxford, Didcot or Reading before yesterday?! Wow! As I said yesterday, you're crazy to get that voyager. Did you know that, if you'd waited at Banbury for an extra 10 minutes you could've got a cat through to Brum? I still maintain my view that, for the sake of your sanity, you should've got off that voyager at the first possible moment and walked.

Nope! Bailing that vomiter would have put me at risk of missing the 20:15 pendo from New Street. Also, you know what ticket I had and that isn't a valid route on the cat...

Had I missed that pendo, I'd have been struggling to make my last train home.

Blindtraveller-PM headed your way.

rg177

Established Member
Associate Staff
International Transport
Sounds like a good day down in Turbo land, somewhere I need to head sharpish.

I am curious about this ticket, would you mind sharing a PM with me too please?

cactustwirly

Established Member
A Great day on my local patch on my favourite stock!

The turbos do have a lot of wheelflats at the moment so I avoid the areas under the bogies.

PS I was in Reading too, on my own turbo bash!

Established Member
Wey aye, man! 20/5/17
That title doesn’t need too much explaining...

I woke up late, as usual, and ended up missing my TPE train to Manchester. It didn’t matter too much though-I simply got a lift to Glazebrook (in order to get a ticket valid on the city zone Metrolink) and stayed on track (pun intended)!

I was, unsurprisingly, the only person to board the 08:07 to Manchester-formed of 156468. Glazebrook is unstaffed outside of the morning peak, so I had to buy my ticket from the guard. Loo roll time! After folding half a tree many, many times, I settled in for some 156 hellfire thrash. The train was fairly lightly loaded all the way to Deansgate, despite being all shacks. Alighting at Deansgate, I headed over to the Metrolink platforms and boarded 3026 to Victoria, via the Second City Crossing. Swiftly changing platforms, it was onto 3058 to Shudehill.

One quick supply raid later, I headed back to Shudehill Interchange and boarded winner 52483 to Newcastle. Why are you going on Megabus if you’re a train enthusiast you might ask? (As in fact, a fellow passenger did at one point!) Simple. I only need 7 shacks on the Tyne and Wear Metro, so the fact I’d only have 5 and a half hours in Newcastle didn’t matter. But, more importantly, TPE wanted more than £2.50 for the return trip!) The journey, as far as Leeds at least, was quite pleasant and passed quite quickly. At Leeds however, a few passengers got on and sat right behind me, who were extremely loud. Great... The rest of the journey wasn’t as bad as I feared it may be, however, and we reached Newcastle dead on time at 13:05-a journey time of 3 hours and 55 minutes. John Dobson Street, where the Megabus stops, is just down the road from Monument Metro station, which was where I was heading after a PNB.

I had trouble getting the TVM to take my £5 note, but that issue was soon sorted. Armed with a ticket I headed downstairs... to the wrong platform! I realised something was wrong when Byker wasn’t on the map. Eventually I found the platform and boarded winner 4003+dud 4015 to Percy Main, the furthest away of my required shacks. Just missing the St. James service, I had about an 8 minute fester before winner 4085+dud 4025 arrived to take me back to Hadrian Road. Just missing a ‘coast’ bound train, I had another 8ish minute fester before winner 4042+dud 4088 arrived to take me back to Howdon. Whilst ensuring I took care on the level crossing, I was treated to the rapidly unfunny sight of a St. James train departing...

Winner 4057+dud 4037 took me to Byker. I’d intended to bail at Wallsend, but my T shirt and a badge attracted the attention of the passenger opposite, we got talking and I totally missed Wallsend... Ah well! An unsuccessful attempt at a PNB was made at Byker before taking required 4038 along with dud 4067 to St. James. A PNB was managed here, as well as the unmissable opportunity to wind up some pie eaters attending the Magic Weekend! As I’d missed the train I arrived on, I had a short fester until I boarded double winners 4081+4019 to Wallsend-remembering to alight this time!

Winner 4068 with dud 4010 took me back to Chillingham Road, where I observed an AGA 170 heading south until double duds (BOO!) 4073+4006 took me back to Walkergate. After boarding winner 4059 and dud 4017, the purpose of my trip was complete. I had 7 Light Rail shacks required (excluding those in the TfL empire) in the whole of the UK this morning. Not any more!

Feeling rather pleased, I took this train to Monument, where my intention was to get some required trains.
I’ll just list these as I did 14 Haymarket-Monument leaps, and not much interesting happened!

4044 (winner)+4048 Monument-Haymarket
4087 (winner)+4070 Haymarket-Monument
4016 (winner)+4090 Monument-Haymarket
4075+4064 (double winners) Haymarket-Monument
4061+4086 (double winners) Monument-Haymarket
4034 (winner)+4067 Haymarket-Monument
4074 (winner)+4008 Monument-Haymarket
4071+4012 (double winners) Haymarket-Monument
4026 (winner)+4084 Monument-Haymarket
4076 (winner)+4011 Haymarket-Monument
4018+4065 (double winners) Monument-Haymarket
4041 (winner)+4031 Haymarket-Monument
4089 (winner)+4007 Monument-Haymarket
4069 (winner)+4024 Haymarket-Monument

Got lucky with the last two-I wasn’t going to bother, but decided to check the unit numbers at Monument, saw it was winner so took it. Couldn’t believe my luck when I got a winner back too!

I headed back to John Dobson Street, where I was slightly concerned to see the coach, which was due to depart in 15 minutes, hadn’t arrived yet... we had a driver and passengers though! The driver came and checked everyone’s ‘tickets’, and the bus arrived 5 minutes after it should have departed. Whilst waiting, two ladies came around the corner who I recognised... the passengers sat behind me on the way North...
They recognised me too, and referred to me as ‘train guy’-(for no other reason than they never asked my name on the way North!) The coach left 10 minutes late, and was very lightly loaded. These two ladies were arguing for much of the journey as far as Sunderland, where they (sensibly it seemed, split themselves up).

It was therefore a very peaceful journey down to Leeds, much of which was spent typing this trip report! When the driver announced we had to drive round the block as there was another Megabus in the Coach stand, they began to shout at each other very loudly-much of which isn’t typeable on here! The driver even reminded them, twice, that there were other people on the coach and to shut up. They did! (Until they got off the coach, and I couldn’t care less then!) The rest of the journey back to Manchester was (thankfully) more peaceful, and arrival was bang on time-yet again.

I immediately headed over to the Metrolink platforms to join an absolutely rammed 3010 to Piccadilly. After a free PNB, due to the gate being taped wide open, I joined 185130 back to Birchwood. All in all, a great day!

7 winner shacks
2 winner coaches
25 winner metro units

Techniquest

Veteran Member
An absolutely brilliant time had, with no doubt at all. Congratulations on so many winners and clearing your non-London light rail shacks! I really need to do that myself, an objective for next year I suspect. Or whenever the 399s *eventually* enter service! :lol:

Blindtraveler

Established Member
Somethings just occured to me, did you not say an AGA 170 was spotted heading South? Is this the one perhaps which had the level crossing argument finally headed home? I would have though Darby would have been the ones to repair that and if so it wouldnt have been in the Northeast!

palmersears

Established Member
170204 headed south the other day from Kilmarnock

I wish it'd been a couple of weeks earlier, could have ticked that off myself.

Two good reads there 185143, but those bus journeys sound like my idea of hell!

Would you be kind enough to PM me the Reading ticket details? I've been trying to find a decent fare down there from Stockport for yonks with little joy :(

FQ

Established Member
Associate Staff
Quizmaster
Crazy bus veg...

Score on managing to get lots of winners and clearing your non TfL light rail shacks.

FQ

Established Member
Associate Staff
Quizmaster
The current glut of trip reports must be so so hard for you quin with all the bus and pacer bashing going on
I'll still read just to see how much of a hole other users pull themselves into ;)

He won't want to read what I propose to do on Friday then! Unless I go for an alternative plan, which I'm still considering...
What are you thinking of for Friday?

Techniquest

Veteran Member
Bus and coach moves save some of us a significant amount of money. Unless you forget to print off the easyBus ticket...:oops:

I'll not spoil the surprise for Friday, I think Blindtraveller has an idea of what I'm doing but it involves doing something I've wanted to do for a long time...

Established Member
Fields of Sheep-30/05/2017

I’ve taken inspiration from Kite159’s ‘Fields of Thistles’ title here...

The day started when I woke up at 03:05. Yes really! I’m used to, if I’m not asleep, looking at the clock and going back to sleep. Not today! I went downstairs and got some breakfast, and picked up my packed lunch/tea (tea being the meal us Northerners eat in the evening-not the drink!) My Dad came down shortly before 04:00 and we set off driving to Crewe. Crewe was reached about 40 minutes later, and I purchased my return to Ffairfach from the TVM (I was going further-but further south associates with Llanelli as a routeing group and is much more expensive!) I headed for platform 12 and was the sole passenger to board dud (I’ve had all the 175s) 175104 to Shrewsbury. The journey was very pleasant and I arrived into Shrewsbury on time at 05:26.

As I had half an hour until the Heart of Wales service, I sat in the waiting room ensuring my phone was fully charged. Eventually, departure time came. After navigating to the very awkwardly located (through the ticket barrriers, out of the station altogether and up a staircase!). I was the sole passenger to board winner 153320 for the journey to the unpronounceable Heart of Wales. I’d been hoping for a 150 for wifi, but a winner dogbox would do instead! Like the last time I was on this line, I was the sole passenger all the way to Llandrindod (or just Llandod as it seems to be known locally?) Dud 153303 was noted at Knighton working Northbound, where we left 10 late for some unexplained reason. This would pick me up later on. journey was scenic as ever, with the jointed track sounding lovely! A family of 6 joined at Llandod and we started picking a few people up after then.

There was a crew change at Llanwrtyd Wells, I had my railcard and Crewe-Ffairfach on the table-I asked for a Ffairfach-Bynea return (I hadn’t decided until around Llandod which of my 2 plans I was doing). The ticket was cheaper than I’d expected-and I only noticed after I alighted that the guard had given me a railcard discount-incorrectly as that ticket was less than £12 and it was before 10AM. Score!

I bailed out at Bynea for a 35 minute fester for a Northbound train and noticed some volunteers working on the Northbound platform, who were very friendly and wished me luck with shack scratching! I was very annoyed to see dud 153367 arrive-working the same diagram it did the last time I was down here-I’d had Ffairfach-Llandovery, Sugar Loaf-Llandeilo and Llandeilo-Shrewsbury on it already. GRR! Once I’d calmed down, it was time to bail at Pantyffynon for a 217 minute fester.

I took a copy of the Metro off the train with me, and sat in the vandalised and graffitied shelter. Once the rain stopped, after around an hour, I headed for the Tesco for a supply raid and a PNB and returned to the station. As I arrived at the station, a bloke hurried past me going the other way. Returning to the shelter, now filled with the smell of weed (make the connection...), I got on with some bookwork and ate my food. After what felt like about 4 days, dud 153303 arrived to take me one stop back to Llangennech.

The hour or so here went very quickly, with winner 153353 passing on a Fishguard-Cardiff noted. 153303 soon returned to take me up to Ammanford. I had a 2 hour fester here, which I spent doing bookwork. After around an hour and a half, I was getting bored and, worse, cold. I needed a PNB-so I visited the hotel over the road for a drink and a PNB, both of which were greatly appreciated! I returned to the station for 153367 to take me back to Pantyffynon.

Pantyffynon is an odd little station-it was once a junction-the disused platform and old rusty tracks are evidence of that. The station building is exclusively for the crossing keeper-why a couple of benches couldn’t have been put in the back room I’d love to know! The station has no shack sign-a big problem for me as by my rules-I can only count a station if I have boarded and alighted a train and taken a picture of the shack sign. I had to improvise-not quite as much as Gilfach Fargoed where a picture of ‘GILFACH FARGOED RAILWAY STATION’ on the electricity substation had to do! Merely a phot of the pole at the station entrance with the double arrows and ‘Pantyffynon’ had to do.

Whilst waiting for 153367 to return (working the 19:00 to Shrewsbury) I realised the seats I was sat on looked familiar. But I was on required track? It was the station everyone (me included!) Had been scratching their heads over in our ‘Guess the Station’ quiz for the last few days. I instantly went onto the forum to guess it, but SOMEONE BEAT ME TO IT! BOO! A couple of other passengers joined me and I boarded 153367 for the 3 hour 54 minute journey to Shrewsbury-50 minutes LONGER than in the old timetable. The new timetable is better for bashers, as there is a connection from Crewe onto the first Southbound, but much worse for the locals. Take the lunchtime trains-they used to cross at Llanwrtyd wells, giving people about an hour in Llandod, about right to get their shopping at Tesco and Aldi in. Now they cross at Llandod itself, giving just 20 minutes. So people aren’t using it. That’s better than the old timetable isn’t it, WAG? On the last Northbound, it waits for around half an hour at Llanwrtyd for the last Southbound AND also waits for 17 minutes at Llandod! On a Saturday, which still uses the old timetable, anyone travelling to Wilmslow, Stockport and Manchester has a 10 minute connection at Shrewsbury. In the new timetable, anyone travelling to Wilmslow and Stockport has no connection whatsoever-and anyone for Manchester arrives at 01:20 vice 23:30ish and has to make an extra change at Crewe, with a reasonably lengthy fester at both Shrewsbury and Crewe! Anyway, rant over.

On arrival at Llandod, noting 4 other passengers onboard, I bailed and went to the chippy. What a disappointment that was! The chips weren’t very warm, some were soggy and they weren’t the cheapest I’ve ever had. I won’t be doing that again! A passenger requested to alight at Knucklas, so we stopped to let him off. Everyone else bar 2 bailed at Knighton and I had the dogbox to myself from Craven Arms to Shrewsbury. Upon arrival at Shrewsbury-I was met by 3 BTP officers. (Not for me-They seemed to be looking for someone off an ex Birmingham and thought it might have been my train, I heard the dispatcher telling them when the next one was due, and it corresponded to the LM stopper.)

I had a 30 minute fester at Shrewsbury, which was spent in the waiting room giving my phone some much needed charge. A hippo terminated in the platform next to me-so I got free wifi. I looked up and saw my train was 10 late. Great(!) I sent my Dad (who would be waiting for me at Crewe) the gen. He looked on RTT and said it was losing more time. Then it was announced as 28 late...

I asked the guard of the last Chester via Wrexham if I could board that-and get picked up in Chester, which he gave me permission to do-until I realised that took an hour and one of the 3 late freight trains (that was the reason for the delay) was in front of it...

I alighted again, thanking the guard for giving me permission, and waited for the 23:18. I smugly watched 175104 (hello again!) Arrive at 23:48. I gave Dad the gen to say I was on the way and we departed... and stopped a mile up the line. A freight was in front wasn’t it! We moved didn’t stop for long and picked up speed again, until we reached the signal protecting Prees where we stopped for 10 whole minutes! Arrival into Crewe (something I was starting to think would never happen!) Was 39 late at 00:42. Qualifying for RTVs on a more expensive than usual ticket is always nice! (£19.45 instead of my usual £2.70 saveaway!)
We set off for home, where we arrived at 01:20-nearly 21.5 hours after I left. A good day on the whole-knowing that I now need only 3 shacks on the Heart of Wales line, even if I did lose the will to live at times! As an aside, I’ve been back to my normal bashing territory this afternoon (once I left full doss mode at about 13:30!) and if anyone wants gen on which 507s and 508s are marooned on the Wirral until Phase 3 of the Track Renewal works is complete-drop me a PM and I’ll be more than happy to share it, with the proviso that I couldn’t ID 2 or 3 units that were well tucked inside Birkenhead TMD...

Shacks:5
Winners:1

Techniquest

Veteran Member
Nice work on some rather difficult shacks to do!

Mega ouch to the significant delays heading home, that must have been ultra grim. Can't have been much fun for your head either come to think of it!

"Tea" is what I call my evening meal too, and a lot of people I know call it that too. We're certainly not Northerners though :lol: Maybe it's a Midlands thing as well?

I'm so glad I don't count shacks in the way you do, that would be ultra un-fun!

Established Member
Nice work on some rather difficult shacks to do!

Mega ouch to the significant delays heading home, that must have been ultra grim. Can't have been much fun for your head either come to think of it!

"Tea" is what I call my evening meal too, and a lot of people I know call it that too. We're certainly not Northerners though :lol: Maybe it's a Midlands thing as well?

I'm so glad I don't count shacks in the way you do, that would be ultra un-fun!

I had some rude words for the signaller lets put it that way!:D
To say I was glad to see my bed would be a significant understatement!

Kite159

Veteran Member
Sadly as you were delayed by a random cow/sheep/goat escaping onto the line, it was outside the control of the rail industry and hence you get nothing back :lol:

Apart from having a long fester, sounded like a good day. You are going to love doing Tayside, and some of the Far North shacks ;)

(Why did I think you had already done the Heart of Wales?)

Last edited:

Established Member
A ticket to ride! 10/03/2017

This was to be one of those days where you don’t have a clue where the day will take you-I’d been lucky enough to get a few vouchers for some Northern Friends and family tickets from a friend of mine who works for Northern-which allow a day unlimited travel on Northern services for £7.

I’d intended to get the 07:00 into Manchester and head to the wrong side o’t Pennines-and see where my red pen took me but.... no. I’d done my usual thing and woke up hours after my train. I was seriously considering not bothering and going to Scouseland (for a change)-but decided to stick with my original plan. I got a lift to Manchester Victoria-which I was visiting for the first time since the hideous Terrorist Attack at the arena. I got my ticket, after a brief ‘oh s*** I’ve got no cash’ moment-I’d picked up my money and just stuffed it in my pocket rather than my wallet.

Seeing that the 10:26 Leeds service was a rancid 150-and only arrived into Leeds 7 minutes before the 10:48 service, it was flagged. Which turned out to be a good decision as the 10:48 was formed of my last 3 car Northern 158 158757! Taking a seat in the best seats you’ll find on a UK train, the hellfire contraptions that are the centre coach seats-I awaited the departure. The whistle blew, and the engine shut down... but the unit departed on 2 engines. Taking in the loco hauled environment onboard-my phone rang. It was a fellow basher (not sure if he’s a forum member) asking if I was bashing Merseyrail...

The engine started again at Rochdale and stayed on all the way t’Leeds. The train was very lightly loaded all the way-which is never a bad thing! I’d had gen on one of my last 2 333s-so boarded dud 333001 to Shipley to go and find it! Dud 321902 was taken to Frizinghall for a very tight +2 onto winner 333009 (the one that spent a very long time boarded up at Neville Hill) back to Shipley. I had about 10 minutes here before taking a very well loaded required 158849 to Bingley. The Leeds train was late so I made the +2 here with ease, with dud 333015 proudly welcoming me to the Leeds train. I bailed at Shipley International again, and my plan here was to just hang about and wait for a winner. I asked one of the RPIs if he’d noticed 333016 but when he asked me what a 333 was-I assumed not... an Ilkley and a Bradford train arrived at the same time-I caught the coach number of the Bradford train, which was winner 333016!
I dived straight onto the next Bradford train 4 minutes later, dud 333002 (obviously). I legged it over to platform 2, noticing the 333 (out of service) in platform 3 proudly displaying ‘DONCASTER’... I boarded 333016 back to Shipley (unusually) to wait for a Leeds service. I managed to film a shed tour through platform 1, which Kite159 was travelling on, narrowly avoiding being bowled by dud 144021 heading to Morecambe. I’d have took that pacer to Morecambe if I’d needed it-for I was not constricted to the West Yorkshire boundaries!

333009 (hello you!) Took me back to Leeds, pausing briefly at Apperley Bridge. I used the wifi to check the forum and saw that my potential train home of choice was a rancid 150 from Sheffield to Manchester. Yuck! That was being flagged!

Deciding my next move was simple. First thing that was a winner was being taken. 144011 was departing on a Sheffield via Castleford. Realising just how long it took to reach Sheffield (an hour and a half!) And deciding that avoiding TC60054's home turf could only be good idea, I chose to bail at CasVegas and await the Leeds service 10 minutes later. The wait went very quickly, and in no time at all I was on dud 144016 back to Leeds-continuing an ongoing Strong and Stable discussion I was having For the Many on twitter with a Weak and Wobbly tory bus enthusiast...

Arriving into Leeds, there didn’t seem to be much that would bring the red pen out for some time. My phone battery was on about 35% so I decided to try my luck with a VTEC. After a trek to the Train Guard’s office, I was allowed to board-where I was treated to some pushage from winner 91115. I’d never really appreciated before just how poor the ride quality from 91 pushage is! And that was only between Leeds and Donny!
The reason for my trip to Donny was chasing a required 322 I passed on Leeds approach. I bailed out of the VTEC half an hour later, and boarded 322484 back towards Leeds-sitting under the pan of course! I took my book out and swore. Loudly. 322484 was in fact dud! I enjoyed a nice thrashy run to Wakefield where I bailed for the ex-Sheffield 30 minutes later. Whilst waiting, a VTEC HST arrived-some people stood near me who were obviously enthusiasts boarded as one said ‘ohh-‘311’s a winner!’ It was for me too but I couldn’t be bothered looking for the TM to ask if I could board-plus I’d rather have the pacer anyway for a bus stop (pun intended) Bash! Sadly, my bouncy ride was not to be as dud 158815 produced-making me wish I’d gone on the VTEC tram. I took advantage of the table for some bookwork as Kite159 (who I was meeting at Leeds before his tour) had just got his last Northern 158-as I’d very kindly confirmed for him that it had stuck to its diagram before heading to Donny. Aren’t I good like that!

Arriving in’t Leeds, I noticed winner 158910 in one of the low numbered bays. Thinking it was an hour earlier, I got excited as I assumer it was the Morecambe train. As it turned out, it wasn’t in service-however half of Yorkshire seemed to be waiting to board winner 158909 on the Carlisle service. I said hi to Kite159-we swung by Sainsbury’s but the queue was massive so it was flagged. We both passed back through the barrier and we were stood outside 909 talking-I think we’d both lost track of time a wee bit as I was mid sentence talking about units I’d won when the dispatcher blew the whistle! ‘I then got 144-oh S***’ was pretty much how it went! I boarded via the local door-tweeting Kite to remind him that if that had been a DOO service, I’d still have been stood on the platform, and somehow found an empty seat. Shortly after passing Armley Junction, a bloke came up to me, looked at the number on my seat, looked at his ticket and told me I was in his seat.

I replied saying that wasn’t possible as Northern don’t offer seat reservations-but he showed me his ticket and he did indeed have a reservation! Had I been going far I’d have almost certainly refused to move-but as I was bailing at Shipley-and the gent with the ‘reservation’ was travelling to Carlisle, I gave up the seat. Dud 158850 passed me on the approach to Shipley, so after a 6 minute wait, I boarded dud 333010 back to Leeds. I’d thought of getting on the 19:11 Blackpool, taking it all the way to Blackpool and then a pair of 156s back to Manchester-but winner 158853, which had passed me on Leeds approach first thing heading to Nottingham swung my decision. I took my seat behind a load of very drunk and loud middle aged women, reminiscing to the last time I took a Nottingham train out of Leeds-Barnsley FC had played Leeds United and, as a Warrington rugby fan, I will confess to joining in with the Barnsley fans singing ‘We all hate Leeds scum’ as loud as they possibly could!

This however was not as pleasant. I texted a friend who was on the 40 tour which was arriving in Huddersfield at 20:59 to say I’d see him there and I’d be heading up the Penistone line from Barnsley (which isn’t pronounced how it’s spelt!). Arrival into Barnsley was on time-and as I had half an hour to kill, I went to the chippy outside the station for a taste of Scotland. Deep fried mars bar in hand, I returned to the station to wait for my train. The 20:06 Sheffield arrived, but stayed at the red peg-as the level crossing remained up. Hmmm.... 20:08 came and went with no sign of my pacer to Huddersfield. I had 7 minutes from arriving at Huddersfield to the railtour departing. By 20:16, I phoned my mate to say I wouldn’t see him-but he gave me the gen that the tour had gone Tango Uniform too. He joked that it was, unusually for a WCRC service, stopped at a red peg!

My pacer, dud 142019, bounced in at 20:25, just as the driver of the Sheffield train said control had advised the delay would be at least another half an hour! A few of us boarded, including a youngish lad who wanted Leeds. We were delayed further at the hilariously named Penistone due to the single line section ahead, and were now 26 late. The guard told me that the Leeds trains were being diverted via Moorthorpe, and didn’t seem too confident that they’d get to Sheffield on time on the return. Apparently they’d missed the worst of the problems-the train had departed Wombwell, and the driver slammed on the anchors as the signal went from green to flashing red to black. The signal on the Southbound platform reportedly doing the same. Little did the traincrew know that I would get home before they would...

The farce with the tour was due to someone being ill on the train infront-so I hadn’t missed the Manchester train. I met the tour and awaited the arrival of the inward service. Dud 142013 and another 142 arrived to bounce me back to the right side of the Pennines. The train was very lightly loaded out of Huddersfield-but got busy at Slaithwaite, and was crush loaded in the rear coach after Marsden. It was err... lively. Bouncing through the 3 mile tunnel under the Pennines with a load of Pie eaters singing ‘Manchester is full of ****’ with my carriage responding with ‘Manchester is Wonderful’ will stay with me for a while!

Eventually, the pie eaters and the 3 brain cells the rear carriage’s passengers had between them (Is it obvious I’m a Warrington Rugby fan yet...) switched to singing rude songs about Leigh-much to the disappointment of my carriage! Arrival into Manchester Victoria was about 25 late at 23:35. I was going to walk over to Oxford Road but after deciding I couldn’t be bothered, I headed over to platform M1 (I think) to get the tram. 3055 on an Altrincham via Market Street departed while I was feeding £1.20 into the TVM for a city zone single. I therefore boarded a ‘Service to East Didsbury via Exchange Square’, taking the single seat at the back of dud 3075. As tram departed St. Peter’s Square, dud 3055 arrived working an Altrincham service. Hang on... that looks familiar! I bailed at Deansgate with a much longer wait for the Occy Road terminator than I was anticipating. At 23:09, 156426+142013 arrived. I took a seat in the 156, unusually, as the 142 was locked out. After a short wait in platform 5, the train departed again-the emptiest I’ve ever seen it, even after Deansgate! As such, it was only 3 minutes late arriving into Birchwood at 23:50. As the last bus was long gone, I was walking home-where I arrived about 20 minutes later.

Remember how I said I was home before the traincrew of that Penistone line pacer? They arrived into Sheffield at 00:16-a very impressive 105 late! I didn’t manage to get any of my last 4 Northern dogboxes, but I got a few annoying Yorkshire based units ticked off-including my last 2 333s.

Winner units: 7

Winner loco:1

Blindtraveler

Established Member
So, you arnt keen on 150s. The 91s are ok if a bit dull when pulling but the buz jerk bang squeek routine of them pushing gets very tedious very quickly!

I must admit to not being a fan of Manchester as a place but would never be like that about it.
Good day there with some nice pacers, feel sorry for that crew though.

Established Member
So, you arnt keen on 150s. The 91s are ok if a bit dull when pulling but the buz jerk bang squeek routine of them pushing gets very tedious very quickly!

I must admit to not being a fan of Manchester as a place but would never be like that about it.
Good day there with some nice pacers, feel sorry for that crew though.

Not keen is an understatement! I like them (ATW examples excepted-they're quite pleasant) about as much as a fellow forum member likes Vomiters and pacers! (Can't speak for the GWR units-I've never had a GWR 150/2. Had 150131 on a bus stop move once and it was horrid)

Suspect the excessive amount of of alcohol consumed by the Wiganers had something to do with it...

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.