• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

1st class virgin trains season ticket prices

Status
Not open for further replies.

jbb

I have a rugby->euston season ticket standard class which on the calculator costs £7652 with underground and £7216 without, a difference of £436. I'm looking at upgrading to first class but when I look at the prices they are £12760 and £12024 with and without underground for a difference of £736

First of all "ouch" at the prices :( But a question...

Why is adding underground to a first class ticket not far from twice the price as adding it to standard class when it's the same thing being added? Or have I made some mistake?

I'm guessing that even at £736 it's still better value than an alternative (I only travel in zone 1 to and from work each day)

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Nym

Established Member
It isn't just Underground, it's a London Zones Travelcard, so could potentially include 1st class travel on other commuter services in the London area, not that one notices that there is anything even close to 1st class about the servce...

jbb

Oh right that makes sense. Even if it's annoying :P

It's barely cheaper than an oyster card then by the time I take out weekends, holidays, sick days, working from home etc. But it still is.

John @ home

Established Member
I'm guessing that even at £736 it's still better value than an alternative (I only travel in zone 1 to and from work each day)
Not necessarily. If your use of public transport within London is limited to tube travel within Zone 1 to and from work only, calculate how many days you do this each year. Pay-as-you-go using an Oyster card would allow you to do this on up to 175 days a year for less than £736.

Haywain

Veteran Member
Because you are adding a Travelcard, not just underground, and it will allow First class travel throughout the zones (on trains where it is available). So, not unreasonably, you are expected to pay a bit more because you receive a bit more.

jbb

Yes it makes sense to me now.
Unfortunatly the ability to use first class in that area is entirely unnecessary for me and I do it too often for oyster to be cheaper.
That's not a problem just slightly annoying, I just wondered why it was so much more and now I know :)
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
This is a new question so I started a new topic.
(Edit: Ok so I didn;t start a new topic. I tried to but it added my question to the end of this one)

I have an annual season ticket rugby to euston with about 3 months left on it. I wanted to upgrade to first class for the remaining time partly to try it out and see if it's worth it and partly because I think a bit more space and comfort will be better for my back problem.

This page says that I should be able to request my season ticket be changed over to a 1st class season ticket for the remaining 3 months
http://www.nationalrail.co.uk/times_fares/ticket_types/46571.aspx and that that cost should be 3/12 (for 3 months pro-rated) of the difference at the time of original purchase between a first and second class ticket.

However I've just tried to do this at the station and they insisted that the only way to do this was to get a refund on my existing season ticket and purchase a new 1st class season ticket for the same time duration. Clearly this is MUCH more expensive as an annual season ticket with only 3 months left has little refund value left.

Am I reading the changeover rules correctly or are they correct that I have to get a refund and purchase a new ticket, They seemed pretty sure.

It makes a big difference, over £1000 difference in cost for the 3 month I think.

Last edited:

Haywain

Veteran Member
The station are wrong, it can be done as a changeover. This can be done at any station, in theory, although a larger station where there will be someone senior enough to sign off the paperwork will be better. The refund and charge will be based on the daily rate for the ticket (price / 365) rather than a monthly rate.

jbb

Thank you, I'll ask them again tomorrow and if they say it can't be done ask them to look into it for me. They were being helpful and pleasant about it, they just didn't think it could be done so I imagine they'll sort it out for me if I ask them if they can look into it for me.

Or I'll get a different member of staff who knows better :)

bb21

Emeritus Moderator
Print that page from National Rail Enquiries out and bring it with you.

jbb

So I asked a different member of staff and got the answer I was looking for this time :)

I have to say that despite a minor issue of me being given some wrong information on this they are always very helpful and cheerful at Rugby station.

Status
Not open for further replies.