• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

1st refurb ATW 158. Out this week

Status
Not open for further replies.

merlodlliw

Established Member
Wrexham/ Denbighshire /Flintshire triangle
1st refurbished 158 (158840) can be inspected in Aberystwyth on Friday 15th April from 0640 in the morning.
It will then depart at 0930 for Birmingham, several real rail people have been invited as well as the good and the mighty to enjoy the ride as far as Shrewsbury, after No doubt after a hearty breakfast at Weatherspoons. Courtesy of ATW.

Others have been invited to an Hors d'œuvre & wine preview at Shrewsbury.

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

seagull

1st refurbished 158 (158840) can be inspected in Aberystwyth on Friday 15th April from 0640 in the morning.
It will then depart at 0930 for Birmingham, several real rail people have been invited as well as the good and the mighty to enjoy the ride as far as Shrewsbury.

You mean the high and good and mighty will have to mix with real passengers on the 0930? Good grief. :o Actually slightly puzzled as to what will happen to the stock from the 07.27 from Shrewsbury, and the fact there's yet another unit sitting there at that time of day having formed the 08.07 Mach-Aber - sounds like it'll be a rather busy siding...

Others have been invited to an Hors d'œuvre & wine preview at Shrewsbury.

Like, the train crews? :lol:

Pacerpilot

I had a shufty at it last night at Canton.... very smart. Its a very comprehensive overhaul and brings the interiors right up to date. The new livery looks good too.

BestWestern

Established Member
Have ATW stuck with the green/purple seating moquette or gone for something more suitable?

Arriva158

Apparently the moquette is the same as what the 175/153's have

so 158840's diagrams for that day are :
1G25 0930 Aberystwyth - Birmingham Intl 1250 (Leading out of Shrewsbury)
1D14 1309 Birmingham Intl - Holyhead 1711 (Will be the leading unit to HHD)
1J70 1721 Holyhead - Shrewsbury 2025
2K91 2029 Shrewsbury - Crewe 2119
5K91 2130 Crewe - Chester CS 2200 ECS

HTH
<D

The Planner

Veteran Member
Actually slightly puzzled as to what will happen to the stock from the 07.27 from Shrewsbury, and the fact there's yet another unit sitting there at that time of day having formed the 08.07 Mach-Aber - sounds like it'll be a rather busy siding...

The refurb goes down ECS from Mach, sits in the platform at Aberystwyth and gets locked in behind the marker board. All the other trains come in and terminate and turnround halfway down the platform. 1J03 then comes in from Brum at 0920, shunts down, joins up and off they go. The 0807 may have to shunt into the loop.

Arriva158

Does that mean the 0920 will be 4 car from Aber to Shrews? What about the 2 car portion from Pwhelli? :| no way will they run a 6 car to Shrewsbury unless they drop off 2 cars there which could run back with the 1131 off Shrewsbury back to Aber?...but that's double already? :roll:

seagull

Thanks The Planner for the info.

I imagine the ex-Pwllheli passengers will be changing at Mach then to join the four car 09.30 Aber-Brum.

One also suspects that the front (non-refurbished) unit will be steerage class for the use of the serfs, while the lords remain in the rear posh unit... :lol:

Will be interesting to see what the inside of 840 looks like in due course - if things promised have been done then it could be quite smart. Will the drivers/guards have air cushioned ergonomically designed seats now too, I wonder? :shock:

Arriva158

That's something that will hopefully be posted on Thursday night when the ATW crew at Shrews/Mach get a look at it! Be good to see a few people on board... I'll be joining at Shrewsbury at 0931 for a ride to Brum then Chester!<D

Yew

Established Member
One also suspects that the front (non-refurbished) unit will be steerage class for the use of the serfs, while the lords remain in the rear posh unit... :lol:

Hmm, I wonder how that would work with the terms of carrige, I would imagine there would be limited legal basis for the guard to ask you to move to the other carriage. if its ran like that anyway

Gareth Marston

Established Member
You mean the high and good and mighty will have to mix with real passengers on the 0930? Good grief. :o Actually slightly puzzled as to what will happen to the stock from the 07.27 from Shrewsbury, and the fact there's yet another unit sitting there at that time of day having formed the 08.07 Mach-Aber - sounds like it'll be a rather busy siding...

Stock off 08.07 Mach-Aber always goes in run round loop anyway and then runs ecs to Machynlleth after 0930 to INTL clears Borth. The old Platform 3 which is the one left can hold 10 coaches anyway so it wont be an issue.

Rhydgaled

Established Member
Stock off 08.07 Mach-Aber always goes in run round loop anyway and then runs ecs to Machynlleth after 0930 to INTL clears Borth. The old Platform 3 which is the one left can hold 10 coaches anyway so it wont be an issue.
Won't 158840 be occupying the end of the platform nearest the buffers, and therefore blocking the points needed to access the siding the 08:07 normally waits in? Does that siding actually join up further on, as when I've seen the 08:07 sitting there it runs back over the points into the platform once the 09:30 is well clear rather than carrying on moving forwards. That raises a bit of a mystery, as if it has to go via the platform to get to and from the siding, how did it get onto the siding when the platform was blocked by workmen not that long ago? And if there is a connection to the siding further out, why not run out that way normally?

Will non-travelling members of the public be allowed to board 158840 for a look around so long as they disembark before the 09:30 departure?

Gareth Marston

Established Member
Won't 158840 be occupying the end of the platform nearest the buffers, and therefore blocking the points needed to access the siding the 08:07 normally waits in? Does that siding actually join up further on, as when I've seen the 08:07 sitting there it runs back over the points into the platform once the 09:30 is well clear rather than carrying on moving forwards. That raises a bit of a mystery, as if it has to go via the platform to get to and from the siding, how did it get onto the siding when the platform was blocked by workmen not that long ago? And if there is a connection to the siding further out, why not run out that way normally?

Will non-travelling members of the public be allowed to board 158840 for a look around so long as they disembark before the 09:30 departure?

can run out level with old loco shed and access it from there. Borth/Aberystwyth is still a block section with ertms so can do it with 0624 ex New St approaching.

I imagine no problem to look around. It will have to run down to Mach night before presumably on back of last service? Might be in Shrewsbury a bit before that.

merlodlliw

Established Member

Yes you are correct, High and the Mighty

Like, the train crews? :lol:

Leopard is supplying a special blend of 'Ahimsa Milk' for ATW Staff:)

A few up here have been invited to the Shrewsbury shin dig, ill try & find out when this is. All the Media have been invited to Aberystwyth for filming
BBC Wales & ITV Wales news programmes. A good time to ask about the hourly service.

The Marylebone reception as been cancelled:)

Just been told by a colleague, all those invited for the launch & travel on the 158 have now been advised they must go to Aberystwyth, it seems politics have ruled out
the official Shrewsbury preview, no one seems to know if the refurbs will detach at Salop or remain on to Birmingham.

Bob

Last edited:

Rhydgaled

Established Member
Is there a regular circut for 158s, say if a given unit was on the 11:30 off Aberystwyth, would that unit be expected to turn up at that time every other day (for example) until it breaks down or goes in for scheduled maintenance, or is it totally random? If that's not a clear question, an example is that I know a particular Optare Tempo is normally on the same runs every day, provided it isn't delayed or broken.

I'd have to get up a little on the early side to get to Aberystwyth by 09:30 you see, and if I knew when and where 158840 is likely to turn up in the next few weeks I might postpone my trip to photograph it.

Also, why does the service that waits in the siding til the 09:30 is out the way run back into the platform when it can, why not just head straight out on said points by engine shed?

merlodlliw

Established Member

tirphil

Also, why does the service that waits in the siding til the 09:30 is out the way run back into the platform when it can, why not just head straight out on said points by engine shed?

This is to do with operating the plunger for Llanbadarn crossing that is located on the platform. In addition if 5J28 runs out direct at the east end then the train has to stop short while the ground frame is operated to allow the train onto the main. Stop again for the ground frame to be returned and locked to normal and allow the guard back on the train. Furthermore the train then has to stop short of Llanbadarn crossing and the driver has to operate the plunger located near the crossing. Given the gradient climbing away from Llanbadarn on the up drivers would obviously rather have a run at this gradient than tackle it from a standing start.

If the train returns to the main in the station the guard is operating and then returning the ground frame whilst the driver is operating the plunger. Then when in receipt of a Movement Authority (MA) they are away with (hopefully) no stopping.

merlodlliw

Established Member
these old photos should give an idea from the web http://www.thecambrianline.co.uk/d/Aberystwythproposal.pdf

I don't know which WAG Officials will be present at the unveiling,if a mention about the hourly service is to be made, it will be on this day.

Bob

interesting quote from the PDF above, if the Minister is at Aberystwyth(wont miss a photo shoot,will he),some one remind him of his request to ATW

Ieuan Wyn Jones, the Deputy First Minister and Minister for Economy and Transport at the Welsh Assembly Government has asked us to bring forward proposals for a potential
“Cambrian Hourly” service, which he has included in his Rail Forward Programme, for introduction as soon as possible following the completion of the ERTMS programme and
infrastructure improvements on the Cambrian Mainline.

Established Member
Can't believe there's still no exterior shots. The one that was linked earlier has vanished from that collection...

Well I'm sure some will appear after Fridays first outing in service,particularly from our resident Welsh Vegetable Arriva158 who is guaranteed to be on the unit that day :lol:

Rhydgaled

Established Member
these old photos should give an idea from the web http://www.thecambrianline.co.uk/d/Aberystwythproposal.pdf

I don't know which WAG Officials will be present at the unveiling,if a mention about the hourly service is to be made, it will be on this day.

Bob

Assuming the disapearing photograph that we had before was real (and it didn't look shopped) 158840 doesn't look like the 158s in there (apart from the door colour, which is the same as on the present units in Arriva's livery with the cream semi-circle). Other than the doors, it looks more like a combination of 57315 (colours inverted) and the accompanying coaches.

Pacerpilot

Nope, it doesnt look anything like the proposal. Its a similar scheme to the branded 57s

merlodlliw

Established Member
Assuming the disapearing photograph that we had before was real (and it didn't look shopped) 158840 doesn't look like the 158s in there (apart from the door colour, which is the same as on the present units in Arriva's livery with the cream semi-circle). Other than the doors, it looks more like a combination of 57315 (colours inverted) and the accompanying coaches.

Ah well, we will soon know, the PDF I put up was of course 2008 or earlier,which were only impressionist pix of the London shambles 158s. The new colour scheme
will probably resemble daughter of Gerald.

Bob

seagull

Is there a regular circut for 158s, say if a given unit was on the 11:30 off Aberystwyth, would that unit be expected to turn up at that time every other day (for example) until it breaks down or goes in for scheduled maintenance, or is it totally random?

No, there is not really a regular circuit as such - because a unit nearly always ends up being allocated randomly to the next day's diagrams, unless there's a need for a certain unit to be on a certain job so that it ends up in the right place for a maintenance exam, for example.
About the only near-certainty on Cambrian is that the unit which forms the 21.17 Mach to Pwllheli will also be on the 09.03 Mach to Pwllheli and therefore the front of the 14.07 Mach to Birmingham the next day.

I've heard whispers that the 840 will not go empty stock to Aber but will be attached to the front of the 08.42 arrival at Mach from Brum to form a 4-car 08.48 Mach-Aber and return through to Brum. Seems possible but wouldn't give the media much preview time at Aber so I have my doubts.

Arriva158

Well I'm sure some will appear after Fridays first outing in service,particularly from our resident Welsh Vegetable Arriva158 who is guaranteed to be on the unit that day :lol:

Damn right i'll be on there sometime during the day! It's still aiming to work the 0930 off Aberystwyth?... In which case i'll expect it into Shrewsbury at 1130 and i'll make sure I get to see internal/external before leaving the unit at Chester at 1520! <D

merlodlliw

Established Member
Damn right i'll be on there sometime during the day! It's still aiming to work the 0930 off Aberystwyth?... In which case i'll expect it into Shrewsbury at 1130 and i'll make sure I get to see internal/external before leaving the unit at Chester at 1520! <D

Ben Davies of ATW confirms all the new stock will be in public service from Shrewsbury to Birm Int, ATW are happy for uninvited guests to have a look around the stock at Shrewsbury before it moves off.

No idea if all new stock is in public service from Aberystwyth, probably one coach booked out for the freebie & media.

Bob

Status
Not open for further replies.