• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

2 Hand test

Status
Not open for further replies.

JCLeeds

I've done a search but cant find this.... Does anyone know of a computer based practice tool for the new 2 Hand test (such as there is for the GBT?) Would be greatly appreciated. Cheers, JC

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Red18

Never come across one.
To be fair, this is probably the easiest of the tests.
If you can use a PS2 / Xbox controller then you'll do fine.

JCLeeds

Great, thanks Red, this is a new test so I dont know what to expect. I sat the old version last summer (just my luck, immediately before everything changed). Was just trying to brush up on all the new tests

Red18

Basically, there is a shape on the screen and you have to move the cursor along the shape keeping it within the shape boundaries.
You have two small joysticks, similar to those you find on a controller for a radio controlled car / plane etc. You hold these between forefinger and thumb. One joystick controls the cursor up/down movement and the other controls the left/right movement.
As long as you are able to co-ordinate your left hand right hands, as when using an Xbox controller, you'll do ok.

Not much you can do to practice for this one, but it's quite easy as long as you don't rush and don't panic if the cursor drifts out of the lines (and it will).

Polar

Out of interest is the old reaction test still part of the assessment or has it been replace by the new 2 hand tests etc?

JCLeeds

Ok I think I get it - a question though - is this one of those things where the cursor continues to move constantly in a direction and you have to get it back from wandering off line, or does it only move when you direct it?

Red18

From what I remember it's absolute positioning. So the further you move the controller the further the cursor moves and the faster you move then the faster the cursor moves etc.
If you let go of both up/down and left /right controls then the cursor moves to the centre if the screen.

ultra4

That video gave me the idea about 2hand co-ordination test:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FAXhUdg9x-k

V_cf850be0a0.jpg

ultra4

By the time you have done it ten times you should be a master.
First two moves are simple and should be done in no time as you only use one joystick per move.
I discoved that the faster the speed around the curve the shorter buzzer sound for going over the line.
For practice I used GTA 4 on PS3, turned the map on and led the cursor along the roads. It worked for me as the assessor complemented my speed ;)

Andy-mc

Yes this is the test,
it does bring back memories, it's better than the 30min square stare
It's to test your ability to steer a train on the track :lol:
All I remember is the joysticks were very sensitive and sometimes a little inaccurate but that might just have been me lol

Last edited:

Louby

Yes this is the test,
it does bring back memories, it's better than the 30min square stare
It's to test your ability to steer a train on the track :lol:
All I remember is the joysticks were very sensitive and sometimes a little inaccurate but that might just have been me lol

No I totally agree, the only one of the tests I didn't like , obviously did it but wouldn't like to do it again !

theageofthetra

On Moderation
The most important part of this test isn't your ability to keep the dot in the lines. Its your reaction time in moving the dot back in again if it does go out (which it almost certainly will) that can fail you. That said it is probably the easiest test you will do in this long journey. Good luck.

JCLeeds

ultra4 thats great, but where can I practice it? Is this available to use anywhere?

SPADTrap

Established Member
This was the easiest test for me as others have said, but did anyone else notice that sometimes the ball would 'stick' more on a few goes? Sometimes it seemed smooth and other times it was more 'jaggy' if that makes sense? I wasn't sure if it was just my PC being slow!

Last edited:

387star

On Moderation
If I remember correctly there were two different shapes one tougher

greatkingrat

Established Member
I think there was a practice shape that doesn't count, then the shape shown above.

387star

On Moderation
Glop was easy just write down key points
I remember one shape with an easy straight section at the beginning and one with lots of turns at the beginning unless it was the same shape back to front
Must be imagining it all like the grey box flashing dark grey
Passed all though!

Withnailandi

Glop was easy just write down key points
I remember one shape with an easy straight section at the beginning and one with lots of turns at the beginning unless it was the same shape back to front
Must be imagining it all like the grey box flashing dark grey
Passed all though!
I passed everything also. On the Glop there are other answers that seem plausible. The only test I would recommend anyone to practice would be dots and maybe dials.

red2005

That's the exact shape I had when I did it lol......the left/right controller I had was a proper mare!......you'd be trying to move it as gently as possible but the ball wouldn't move at all then all of a sudden it'd shoot across the screen lol!!

You had to be VERY careful ha!

Polar

Did this today was only the one shape found it really easy.
I had to check volume on headset at start of computer tests but then didnt have any sound whilst doing the tests.

TheVicLine

Totally irrelevant when driving a train too...

Maybe you could do it standing on one leg to simulate opening a droplight between stations, that would be more useful and realistic.

:D

Status
Not open for further replies.